Europe - Bag of Bones

TangoCharlie

Couldn't find a thread for this album but I'm just playing it now and it sounds pretty immense!!

Huge riffs. I image it's what Rainbow would sound like if they were still around. :)

Joey hasn't lost his vocal range or his power (unlike others!) and the riffs are huge.

'Bag of Bones' really stood out for me!

thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I begin to like it more now after a couple of spins, nice heavy 70's sounding and good riffs but I miss the catchiness of the old Europe albums.

Meh. Another band gone "modern". I'll pass.

No, they have always been influenced by heavy blues (very modern!). 'Prisoners In Paradise' is not too dissimilar from this album! That was out 20 rears ago?!

Check out the new song Doghouse. It's captured live and on YouTube.

Agree, But the band would say that it is a more MATURE sounding Europe!

No, they have always been influenced by heavy blues (very modern!). 'Prisoners In Paradise' is not too dissimilar from this album! That was out 20 rears ago?!

Are you comparing this new one to Prisoners In Paradise? PLEASE!

Are you comparing this new one to Prisoners In Paradise? PLEASE!

Well the new one hasn't got the big production. The Quad thing that they raved about on PIP (that took off didn't it?!). But I wasn't that impressed by PIP. One or two good songs.

Unlike most others on this site, I really did not enjoy 'Last Look At Eden', so I think I'll steer well clear of this.

This new album is bland at best...

well to me, the last four albums, probably 'Secret Society' is the best followed by 'Start From The Dark', now I still have a doubt whether this 'Bag of Bones' or 'Last Look at Eden' is their worst to date :doh:

This doesn't sound that great to me. I still struggle to keep up with this band. I mean they started life as a Hard Rock band, then they became AOR and then MHR, then they went all Modern Rock. Now they're classic rock with some blues thrown-in. Is there no style they won't experiment with? Although the songwriting is more important than the musical style, it's difficult to buy an album blind when you just don't know what the band are gonna come up with next. I'd file this alongside Tyketto/Trixter etc. Decent, but hardly essential.

Unlike most others on this site, I really did not enjoy 'Last Look At Eden', so I think I'll steer well clear of this.

Whatman?! Who the hell else did like that album? :lol:

I didn't think anyone did... because it is crap. ;)

I'll spin this for sure, but I'm sure I'll be as bored with it as I am with the last 3.

Just as I have said a million times, I will take Stark From The Dark over anything they did early. This album is great as well, as usual. Last Look At Eden was excellent as well. This band can do no wrong and they sound much more relavent these days. Norum's tuned down crunchy guitar sound is freakin great!

Just as I have said a million times, I will take Stark From The Dark over anything they did early. This album is great as well, as usual. Last Look At Eden was excellent as well. This band can do no wrong and they sound much more relavent these days. Norum's tuned down crunchy guitar sound is freakin great!

The guitars don't sound 'Down Tuned' to me.

Some people make it appear that Europe have gone grunge!

Grunge is about the only style of music they haven't tried their hand at in the past 15 years or so, so nothing would surprise me with this band...

The words grunge never came out of my mouth as I am not a fan of grunge, but yes, the guitars have been tuned down since Stark. And it's a good thing, not a bad thing.

The words grunge never came out of my mouth as I am not a fan of grunge, but yes, the guitars have been tuned down since Stark. And it's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Yeah Norum admitted he tuned them down on "SFTD", as all modern bands were (and are) doing it to make the music sound more organic and heavier. He's still a killer guitarist and the last two albums have had a big/powerful classic rock sound. I think my problem is with Tempest. His high-pitched scandi vocals sound a little odd when mixed with bluesy classic rock. It also sounded odd on "SFTD" and "Secret Society". He's an amazing vocalist, but is more suited to MR IMHO and they should've got a Glenn Hughes or maybe JLT in for these last 2 discs and just made them Norum solo discs...

Yeah Norum admitted he tuned them down on "SFTD", as all modern bands were (and are) doing it to make the music sound more organic and heavier. He's still a killer guitarist and the last two albums have had a big/powerful classic rock sound. I think my problem is with Tempest. His high-pitched scandi vocals sound a little odd when mixed with bluesy classic rock. It also sounded odd on "SFTD" and "Secret Society". He's an amazing vocalist, but is more suited to MR IMHO and they should've got a Glenn Hughes or maybe JLT in for these last 2 discs and just made them Norum solo discs...

Poppycock! :lol: The problem is Tempest?! Wash that handsome mouth of yours out with urine immediately. He's the only thing that's kept this band worth hearing for the last 3 albums - seriously. He is an amazing vocalist (and good lyricist) and the rest of the band should be trying to fit in with him, not the other way round.

To each their own, but to me Norum is this only real issue this band has had since their "return." I listen to a billion modern rock bands and no good ones have their guitars sounding like this, which is shameful considering he's 100 times the guitarist that any of them are. He took the down tuning too far and never really looked like rectifying it. :(

I'll spin this for sure, but I'm sure I'll be as bored with it as I am with the last 3.

My mistake, I thought most people liked it. It certainly had some glowing reviews.

My mistake, I thought most people liked it. It certainly had some glowing reviews.

Really? I'd never have guessed. I actually can't really remember what people said about it, and my sole reference for music is this website, but I thought it was (rightfully) quite poorly received. But outside this site, who knows, you might be right, mate.

But it was shit. ;)

• My Little Pony

But it was shit. ;)

Amen to that.

It's probably one of my most played albums in the last few years, so, yeah, I think it's safe to say I likes it.