Will the real GREAT WHITE please stand up?

Fat Freddy

I'm sure some of ya are aware of the bizarre goings-on in the Great White camp of late. The band is about to release a new disc w/Terry Ilous on vox called ELATION, whilst Jack Russell has formed his own combo called "Jack Russell's Great White" and now the two are battling it out in the courts over the right to use the G.W. name.

Naturally I love crazy stuff like this and it was an irresistible subject for a new blog entry... check it out y'all

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Will-the-Real-GREAT-WHITE-Please-Stand-Up-80s-Rock-Band-Plans-New-Album-Despite-Legal-Challenges

Good article, Keith. Here's an editorial Derric Miller, the editor over at Hardrock Haven, wrote on the subject:

Great White vs. Jack Russell

Interesting piece, M777. I guess we know whose side Derric Miller is on. Haha. I tried not to take a "side" cuz I obviously don't know all the facts, but if pressed... I dunno. The band obviously needed to replace Jack (even if it was supposed to be "temporary") in order to stay on the road, but I can understand why Jack is taking the steps he's taking as well. It all boils down to who owns the "rights" to the Great White name of course, and that will likely be for the courts to decide.

On the other hand, I gotta admit that I find it kind of bizarre/creepy to hear these guys arguing over a "brand" and whether or not Jack's actions have "devalued" that "brand" over the years... cuz to be honest, after the whole Station Nightclub disaster and its aftermath, I'm mildly surprised that the Great White name even HAS any "value"...am I the only one? :blink:

Good article, Keith. Here's an editorial Derric Miller, the editor over at Hardrock Haven, wrote on the subject:

Great White vs. Jack Russell

The article is good but the fighting going on below in the comments is just entertaining. I'm not sure Georgina is but I will assume that she works for GW in some way.

The article is good but the fighting going on below in the comments is just entertaining. I'm not sure Georgina is but I will assume that she works for GW in some way.

Haha, wow, I just read thru those comments and :rofl2:

Maybe I should've "taken sides" in my piece, so I could get me some of that sweet, sweet comment-section infighting (and therefore page views...hahaha)

Jack's version is coming to the Starland Keef.

Along with Pretty Boy Floyd, Bullet Boys, Lillian Axe and Faster Pussycat on June 30th.

Are you goin', Dom? If so, do me a favor, throw some sh*t at the BulletBoys for me. I can't stand that friggin' band. :D

Nice work Keef!!! I stand by my opinion of Jack=Great White :beerbang:

Agree 100%

Maybe I should've "taken sides" in my piece, so I could get me some of that sweet, sweet comment-section infighting (and therefore page views...hahaha)

Along with Pretty Boy Floyd, Bullet Boys, Lillian Axe and Faster Pussycat on June 30th.

Are you goin', Dom? If so, do me a favor, throw some sh*t at the BulletBoys for me. I can't stand that friggin' band. :D

I think he should take a sign on your behalf that says:

Keith Abt :wub: Zaza

I think he should take a sign on your behalf that says:

Keith Abt :wub: Zaza

Shut up Wes. :rofl2: Don't listen to him, Dom!!

The new album is very good but it should not be called GW without Jack. They would have been better off retiring the name...beside, they have a HUGE discography to keep me satisfied for life. Some great music there!

I just remember the way Hooked blew me away (despite a lame review from Kerrang).

Saw Great White many times and the last few times they were stuck in second gear. No fast paced stuff which I know they can do and do well!

I loved Hooked as well. Lovin' Kind is maybe the best ballad they ever did, and I'm not even a ballad guy. Have to say though all the albums before this one were their best stuff, especially the early stuff from the On Your Knees EP. As for their post Hooked LP's I think my favorite was Can't Get There From Here. Great, underrated album.

I just remember the way Hooked blew me away (despite a lame review from Kerrang).

Saw Great White many times and the last few times they were stuck in second gear. No fast paced stuff which I know they can do and do well!

I loved Hooked as well. Lovin' Kind is maybe the best ballad they ever did, and I'm not even a ballad guy. Have to say though all the albums before this one were their best stuff, especially the early stuff from the On Your Knees EP. As for their post Hooked LP's I think my favorite was Can't Get There From Here. Great, underrated album.

I still remember when I first heard Congo Square. It was played twice on The Friday Rock Show. The two guitar breaks are incredible.

I have just got hold of the new album. I just doesn't feel right listening to someone else sing.

It is a real shame because unlike the direction GW were headed, the first track is a fat paced rocker. The others a remind me a little of AC/DC!

• My Little Pony

Will both Great Whites please go away..

Oh, Matt, you're so cute when you're grumpy. But, now seriously, f*ck off. :lol:

Will both Great Whites please go away..

Oh, Matt, you're so cute when you're grumpy. But, now seriously, f*ck off. :lol:

Yeah I don't get it as well. The last couple they did with Jack were very good but I just love the rest of their stuff. Great band imo...

I still remember when I first heard Congo Square. It was played twice on The Friday Rock Show. The two guitar breaks are incredible.

I absolutely love Congo Square.

I'm just saddened and disappointed that this has happened to the band.

I have just got hold of the new album. I just doesn't feel right listening to someone else sing.

It is a real shame because unlike the direction GW were headed, the first track is a fat paced rocker. The others a remind me a little of AC/DC!

Same here. Listening to it for the first time, I cringed as soon as Ilous started singing and couldn't make it through a single track. I'm too much of a Great White fan to be able to accept anyone other than Jack Russell singing for the band. If they hadn't called it "Great White", I might give it a chance. But for now, I just can't listen to it.

And as for "fat paced rockers", I'll stick with Meatloaf. :lol:

Same here. Listening to it for the first time, I cringed as soon Ilous started singing and couldn't make it through a single track. I'm too much of a Great White fan to be able to accept anyone other than Jack Russell singing for the band. If they hadn't called it "Great White", I might give it a chance. But for now, I just can't listen to it.

And as for "fat paced rockers", I'll stick with Meatloaf. :lol:

I agree. Jack is 1 of my favorite singers period, and is just wrong to hear GW music with a different voice. Not saying it's a bad cd, but it's more like XYZ trying to sound like GW,

Okay. After listening to Elation a few times. I don't hate it. It actually has a nice Led Zeppelin feel to it. I know that Jack and the band have always been fond of that band, doing covers and all. So, I am guessing Kendall and Lardie went back to the roots. Not so worst, but change the band name and maybe you have something boys. Change the name. That's all I ask. :angry2: