Australia's spider problem

66 mustang

I thought North America had cornered the market on corny country songs. I got this bit from Matt's Wikipedia link on Redback Spiders.

Slim Newton popularised redbacks in his song "Redback on the toilet seat", which won the Golden Guitar at the first Country Music Awards of Australia in 1973

I just had to Youtube it...damn!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDAiq2-xeU

Ive seen more Redbacks in my garage in the last few weeks then i have my entire life.And they are usually always in shoes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

After reading that I know will be scared to put on shoes without looking first. I hate spiders so much.

Ive seen more Redbacks in my garage in the last few weeks then i have my entire life.And they are usually always in shoes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

After reading that I know will be scared to put on shoes without looking first. I hate spiders so much.

Ditto

Ditto

A good reason i mostly wear thongs.

I'm confused as to why your prefernce in underthings relates to spiders in your shoes...

I eat spiders so this has been easy pickings for me. Yum. But seriously, worst summer in Australian history, no doubt. I imagine it to be like living in a nice version of England. Temperature has been fine, but it has just rained all day every day it seems. F*cking insane. I've just never known anything like it in my entire lifetime.

Spiders? Yuck. Kill'em with fire!

yeah heard some parts of Australia was flooded heavily, but Melbourne and Sydney are pretty much safe right ?

Melbourne fine, but parts of Sydney got pretty flooded overnight and this morning. Nothing too bad, I don't think... but still uncool. It's all safe, just annoying. Good for waterfall photos, though. lol. But by the weekend it'll all be dried up again anyway.

Poisonous spiders everywhere....now scratching Australia off the vacation list... :yikes:

If the shows I watch on Animal Planet are to be believed, then just about every wild creature in Australia is lethal to humans. Between the spiders, snakes, crocodiles, sharks, and God knows what else, it makes me wonder how people have survived there for so long. :lol:

Poisonous spiders everywhere....now scratching Australia off the vacation list... :yikes:

If the shows I watch on Animal Planet are to be believed, then just about every wild creature in Australia is lethal to humans. Between the spiders, snakes, crocodiles, sharks, and God knows what else, it makes me wonder how people have survived there for so long. :lol:

Dropbears. We have those too.

Dropbears. We have those too.

you don't have WOODBOOGERS. my area has the market cornered on them. :guitbannana:

But does Australia have CAVE CRICKETS? Every summer like clockwork my basement gets infested with these f*cking things. They look like the creatures from "Alien" in miniature, all legs and antenna:

cave_cricket.16841941_std.jpg

AHHHHH!!! GOOD LORD IT'S HORRIBLE IN THE NAME OF SWEET JESUS AND ALL THAT IS HOLY KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

...they're not poisonous or anything but damn, are they icky!! :yikes:

They also have Crocodile Dundee...I don't know how anyone on earth has survived his movies.

quokka_close.jpg

We also have these little bastards. They go straight for the throat.

That looks sorta cute actually.

So Matt, ever been bitten by a red back?

Also, is it common for the Aussie household to keep the anti venom on hand?

I would.

quokka_close.jpg

I would.

I get alot of bites... mostly from Geoff.... actually he wears a costume like the Quokka above...

That's nothing mate compared to our feral women,now those bitches are lethal and they hunt in packs.

I like spiders, probably because I hate flies, but if I saw a funnel-web I think I'd shit myself. Those things are evil, right?

I like spiders, probably because I hate flies, but if I saw a funnel-web I think I'd shit myself. Those things are evil, right?

I have nothing against spiders either, to be honest. The odds of getting bitten lethally by a spider are about as likely as getting eaten by a shark. I guess I never really understood being that worried about something so unlikely. Sure, if it happens it'd suck, but not worth my worry. :)

For the record, white tail spiders > all others, imo. I would hate to get bitten by one of those mofos.

As for redbacks, I don't think anyone's died from a bite from one of those in about 8,000 years. I think you get a little sick and that's about it. We have heaps in our garage too.

quokka_close.jpg

I would.

I get alot of bites... mostly from Geoff.... actually he wears a costume like the Quokka above...

Geoff is a screamer AND a biter? Craziness.