STAR WARS on Bluray

66 mustang

• My Little Pony

I'm sure the 3 new movies will look stunning. how will the first 3 look?

Oh, shit. I didn't think of that. I just want Star Wars 1, 2, and 3--not Episodes 1, 2, and 3--and I want the original versions.

I preordered the boxset back in January, and got it on Monday when it came out.

I only have Jedi to watch, which I will be putting on today at some point.

The original 3 look stunning, and no matter how the fan boys whine (I'm a fan boy, just not a whiney one), the fact that Lucas has taken such a controlling interest in them over the years really helps.

I was stunned with how good the 24 year old Star Wars looks (its not called New Hope, its called Star Wars dammit). The early scene on the senate ship just amazed me with the scene between Vader and Leia, with you being able to see every freckle or skin pore on Leia's face, or the scratches on the two droids etc.

The colours and sound is just amazing, and thanks to the remastered versions from 1997 (I dont care that Greedo shot first as it makes no difference to how great the film is), the special effects hold up amazingly.

Yes, the added scene with Han treading on Jabbas tail still looks shit with Han still going blurry as he steps on it, but overall the remaster did exactly what was needed to help make these films work in high def.

There are also some great extras added over the DVD versions, including the spoof section.

While its great to see Spaceballs aknowledged, the recent VW advert and some youtube videos such as the lego Eddie Izzard canteen sketch and AT AT day afternoon. I did find the over reliance on Robot chicken parodies to be annoying as I really didnt find most of them to be funny.

Overall the set is worth every penny (I have the version with the limited edition film cell), and I doubt anyone will be disappointed apart from those people who still cant accept the special edition versions and the people who think Lucas should have left them alone and not kept tweaking them (fuck, it makes sense to me to have Hayden grafted in as the ghost in Jedi as its the ghost of Anakin, not Vader, and Anakin died the moment he became Vader).

One thing that I came to realise though by watching this set together is that R2-D2 is actually a bit of a bastard.

At the end of Ep3 C3-PO has his mind wiped, but R2-D2 doesnt. That means all through the Ep4&5 he knows Vader is Lukes father, and never lets on.

He also knows that Vader built (or rebuilt) C3-PO, but never lets on.

He also knows that Leia and Luke are brother and sister, but never lets on, and probably got great pleasure in Luke lusting after Leia.

The original 3 look stunning.

I was stunned with how good the 24 year old Star Wars looks (its not called New Hope, its called Star Wars dammit). The early scene on the senate ship just amazed me with the scene between Vader and Leia, with you being able to see every freckle or skin pore on Leia's face, or the scratches on the two droids etc.

The colours and sound is just amazing.

Just what I need to hear about the pic quality, thanks mate :beerbang:

there are a couple of places that still look dated (stop motion will always look dated on things like the Tantauns etc), and Vaders mask looks a little scuffed in the first film, which is more a case of the high definition showing up the poor quality of the mask rather than the quality of the definition being a problem.

Overall though compared to many films older films which seem to have little or no effort put into the HD transfer, the three original films have been lovingly transferred to the point that they still look brand new.

I've been watching the movies on Spike in HD, and using that as a worst-case scenario, the Blu-Rays should look excellent. I'm holding off hoping for a Black Friday deal on the complete set.

-Dan

Just in case anyone is interested, supposedly Lucas is working on 3D versions which are supposed to come out next year.

While I will be investing in a 3D tv soon and have been buying a few 3D movies in advance, I really dont care much for retroactively adding 3D to films that were not filmed using that tech in the first place as it worries me that it might not hold up that well.

• My Little Pony

I just don't get this industry obsession with 3D, it sucks!

Yeah, well the industry is suffering. 3D didn't take off the way they hoped. 3DTVs that were originally $3000+ are going for $1000 or less. It definitely never interested me much--just for gaming, but only Sony supports that at the moment.

I'll probably get these one of these days.. I am a HUGE Star Wars fanboy,but like Captain Howdy says, not a whiny fanboy... I Have heard such mixed reviews about this set though.. Some LOVE it, and some just HATE it,but I guess that's par for the course with Star Wars fans eh?? Me personally I don't mind the special editions as much as others do.. Yes I know Han shot first, but to Me it's not THAT big of a deal.. Sure I would have LOVED to have the originals AND Special editions on this blu ray set, that would have been awesome, but it didn't happen....

Something else Lucas changed... in Jedi?? when Vader is about to grab the Emperor when He's almost killing Luke?? He lets out a Nooooooooooooooooo, that is NOT in the original or special edition?? I have seen that scene.. It's really not all that bad.....

SO in closing,. Yes I WILL be buying this, but will wait until it goes on sale.. Black Friday or something like that.... :tumbsup:

Han shot first! It's something I wish they would return to the original way it happened in the film. :angry2:

No kidding, who in the world or any galaxy far, far away can be such a bad shot. Greedo's an idiot!!! Shooting first made Han a bad ass, just like when he shot that sword weilding freak in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

George Lucas has made enough money off of me....I'm out!

Han shot first! It's something I wish they would return to the original way it happened in the film. :angry2:

No kidding, who in the world or any galaxy far, far away can be such a bad shot. Greedo's an idiot!!! Shooting first made Han a bad ass, just like when he shot that sword weilding freak in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Agreed!

I must be the whiny fanboy, because I HATE THE "TWEAKS", Lucas has added to the films over the years. I'm still watching the original trilogy on THX letterbox VHS just to avoid these (wish I still had the Laserdiscs).

I saw it somewhere online and can't find it now, but there is the scene in EP 4 were Obi Wan saves Luke from the Tuscan Raiders and that really cool monsterous roaring sound you hear has been replaced by a sound akin to a dude getting finger shoved up his ass... Very bad indeed.

C'mon George leave well enough alone would ya'! Instead of bastardizing the franchise how about filming episodes 7, 8, & 9!

Here it is, prepare to be embarassed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims&feature=player_embedded

Agreed!

I must be the whiny fanboy, because I HATE THE "TWEAKS", Lucas has added to the films over the years. I'm still watching the original trilogy on THX letterbox VHS just to avoid these (wish I still had the Laserdiscs).

I saw it somewhere online and can't find it now, but there is the scene in EP 4 were Obi Wan saves Luke from the Tuscan Raiders and that really cool monsterous roaring sound you hear has been replaced by a sound akin to a dude getting finger shoved up his ass... Very bad indeed.

C'mon George leave well enough alone would ya'! Instead of bastardizing the franchise how about filming episodes 7, 8, & 9!

Here it is, prepare to be embarassed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims&feature=player_embedded

Seriously?? WTF was that noise and why was it something that needed to be changed? :doh:

Lucas is an egomaniacal douche.

These audio changes are absolutely idiotic. The addition of those "No"s at the end of RotJ is second only to the long drawn out NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end of Revenge of the Sith in complete stupidity.

It's as if Lucas WANTS these films to be turned into caricatures of themselves.

Egads.

-Dan

I still don't have a Blu-Ray player and I'm in no hurry to get one so it'll be a while before I even consider these sets. If and when the time comes, I'd only be interested in the original three films anyway (the prequel trilogy does not exist on Planet Freddy)...

I must be way behind because I finally got the original Trilogy on DVD to replace my VHS tapes.

The only version I bought was on VHS so I'll probably pick this one up...once the price is more reasonable...

I actually have two VHS box sets of the first trilogy - the old-school original theatrical versions and the "Special Editions" that Lucas jazzed up with new footage and tweaked FX in the late 90s.

• My Little Pony

I think I'd rather track down the original versions on DVD.

The DVD's to get are the 2 disc "re-release". This release has the "new" version of the original trilogy and the original as well.

Just found them, actually. $35! What a steal. I haven't watched them in years, and now I'm excited all over again!