White Widdow

Glen

For anyone wanting a full track that's not available on any of the samples thus far check out

My god, is this really the same band from last year?! I thought that album was ok, but nothing special. But if this and "Cry Wolf" are anything to go by, this could be the AOR album of the year. GREAT!

yes same band & the upcoming album imho is a tad bit better than the debut even though I love it immensely :)

Here's a new tune called Reckless Nights :)

:drink:

&hd=1

:)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another full track. Even more 80's than ever before with this one. Sorta with a mid 80's pop feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCPEY70LSqI

I agree, more 80's pop, but good!

Excuse my overenthusiasm, but I'm blown away by these samples. "Reckless Nights" could be the best AOR song I've heard this year. Sort of a Danger Danger feel, but more keyboards. Catchy as hell... "Cry Wolf" is awesome too, reminds me of Aviator and the like. Actually, I read somewhere they used to rehearse Aviator songs when starting out as a band, and it shows. Brilliant stuff.

23rd september can't come soon enough now! :guitbannana::guitbannana::guitbannana:

i'm scrolling through my iPod yesterday and listen again to WW's debut, hm still pretty good at around 80%, and I guess perhaps 'We've Got The Wings' is the best track here, and followed by 'Cross To Bare' and 'One More Day'.

haven't got the time to listen to the new samples but looks promising there :popcorn:

i'm scrolling through my iPod yesterday and listen again to WW's debut, hm still pretty good at around 80%, and I guess perhaps 'We've Got The Wings' is the best track here, and followed by 'Cross To Bare' and 'One More Day'.

haven't got the time to listen to the new samples but looks promising there :popcorn:

You can hear the original versions of "We Got Wings" from De Arrow & then followed by Roxus if you search those download sites around.

I'm stil yet to decide if I like WW's version more or less :)

After some interesting debate about this band in the First Impressions thread, I went back and listened to some of the supposed best tracks off the first album to make up my mind once and for all. I listened to 'We've Got The Wings', 'Change of Passion' and 'Broken Hearts Won't Last Forever' in their entirety and really didn't like them. I would agree with others that they are catchy songs, but not in a good way - more catchy in the way that really annoying, whiny pop music can be catchy and get itself stuck in your head. I don't like the harmonies and there is way too much keyboard for my tastes, but more than these things I just found the choruses boring. However, I then listened to 'Tokyo Rain' and 'Shadows of Love', both of which I liked, especially the former. So although the band's sound isn't my cup of tea, there are songs I enjoy (much to my surprise).

On to the new album, I played 'Cry Wolf' and 'Reckless Night' right the way through and sure enough, hated them both. Then I listened to 'Show Your Cards' and loved it! So looks like a song band for me rather than an album one.

After some interesting debate about this band in the First Impressions thread, I went back and listened to some of the supposed best tracks off the first album to make up my mind once and for all. I listened to 'We've Got The Wings', 'Change of Passion' and 'Broken Hearts Won't Last Forever' in their entirety and really didn't like them. I would agree with others that they are catchy songs, but not in a good way - more catchy in the way that really annoying, whiny pop music can be catchy and get itself stuck in your head. I don't like the harmonies and there is way too much keyboard for my tastes, but more than these things I just found the choruses boring. However, I then listened to 'Tokyo Rain' and 'Shadows of Love', both of which I liked, especially the former. So although the band's sound isn't my cup of tea, there are songs I enjoy (much to my surprise).

On to the new album, I played 'Cry Wolf' and 'Reckless Night' right the way through and sure enough, hated them both. Then I listened to 'Show Your Cards' and loved it! So looks like a song band for me rather than an album one.

Yeah mate, not sure which chump is recommending songs from the debut like that, but imo you've picked 3 of the weaker songs in that batch of 5. Try:

Tokyo Rain (which you already fancied, rightly so)

Broken Hearts Won't Last Forever (also sensibly checked out)

Cross To Bare (killer melodic hard rocker)

Don't Fail Me Now (one of my favourite tracks of last year - delicious mid-tempo)

One More Day (nice catchy melodic rocker)

Fire & Ice (one of the album's best - another super tune)

Yeah now you mention that, one of my gripes about the new album is the lack of variation in some of the choruses - some just repeat the same line over again, which isnt exactly great.

Am still enjoying this one tho.

Yeah now you mention that, one of my gripes about the new album is the lack of variation in some of the choruses - some just repeat the same line over again, which isnt exactly great.

You've both summed-up, better than I did, why I'm also not a massive fan of them. Or rather why I like them and will buy their albums, but why they'll never be a major-league band.

i read somewhere the 3 bonus tracks are the demos that was released before the 1st cd, Andre.

haven't seen you,Andre, at Radical for along time.

Right! I talked to Jules at the H.E.A.T. festival in Ludwigsburg last Sunday and he confirmed that the Japanese pressing will have the three EP tracks ("Cross To Bare", "Change Of Passion" and "Don't Fail Me Now") tagged onto the end.

Their performance at the H.E.A.T. festival was just awesome by the way. Wish they'd have played a tad longer... If I didn't have to work on Saturday I'd go seeing them play in Munich in a second. Especially as this will be a headliner gig where surely they'll play a few more songs (if not both albums in their entirety) :party421:

You guys going to Firefest this year will be in for a treat! :beerbang:

And yes, "Serenade" is a killer CD if there ever was one! Those massive keys mixed with crunchy guitars is just AOR perfection if you ask me. Honestly, for me this is the best CD I've heard this year.

Cheers

Ralfster

I know this discussion's been in the "First Spin.." thread but wanted to carry on here but posting my personal run-down of the tracks - having played it quite a few times now....

1. Cry Wolf - Strong opener,great keys and nice chorus. 8/10

2. Strangers in the Night - Average. Muffled harmonies in the chorus really spoil it, and it's too generic. 6/10

3. Do you Remember - Slightly better,but still those muffled harmonies. Still decent 80's AOR. 7/10

4. Reckless Nights - Like Blue Tears "Rockin' with the Radio" only not as good. Odd harmonies spoil it. 7/10

5. How far I run - Where'd this come from? Biggest hook on the album,lush chorus melody. AWESOME. 9.5/10

6. Serenade - Strong title-song,nice keys in the chorus, and a major highlight for me. 8.5/10

7. Show Your Cards - Horribly bland song with a very subdued chorus and no hook. Weak. 5/10

8. Mistake - More of the same, too subtle and not as bombastic as the early songs. Unmemorable. 6/10

9. Patiently - Very good power-ballad. Verses are better than the chorus here,but it's still a great tune. 8.5/10

10. Love Won't Wait - Left the worst till last. Pointless/forgettable drivel with a bland chorus and no hook. 4/10

Overall my final view is about a 7/10 (but it's frankly very patchy)

I know this discussion's been in the "First Spin.." thread but wanted to carry on here but posting my personal run-down of the tracks - having played it quite a few times now....

2. Strangers in the Night - Average. Muffled harmonies in the chorus really spoil it, and it's too generic. 6/10

3. Do you Remember - Slightly better,but still those muffled harmonies. Still decent 80's AOR. 7/10

4. Reckless Nights - Like Blue Tears "Rockin' with the Radio" only not as good. Odd harmonies spoil it. 7/10

5. How far I run - Where'd this come from? Biggest hook on the album,lush chorus melody. AWESOME. 9.5/10

6. Serenade - Strong title-song,nice keys in the chorus, and a major highlight for me. 8.5/10

7. Show Your Cards - Horribly bland song with a very subdued chorus and no hook. Weak. 5/10

8. Mistake - More of the same, too subtle and not as bombastic as the early songs. Unmemorable. 6/10

9. Patiently - Very good power-ballad. Verses are better than the chorus here,but it's still a great tune. 8.5/10

10. Love Won't Wait - Left the worst till last. Pointless/forgettable drivel with a bland chorus and no hook. 4/10

Good summation mate and pretty much how I am viewing this one, although I may mark a couple of songs up a little. This also explains why I think the second half is weaker than the first. You have the same faves as mine too. :tumbsup:

Way too many keys for me, the debut was alot better.

Good summation mate and pretty much how I am viewing this one, although I may mark a couple of songs up a little. This also explains why I think the second half is weaker than the first. You have the same faves as mine too. :tumbsup:

ha ha only just seen this.....you cruel cruel man Tim.....harsh but in a way fair. I also 100% agree that the second half is weaker.....whether its 5/10 or 4/10 (!!) weaker I dont know. lol

I guess this will sit around the low to mid 80s like the debut.

I actually rate this 9 outta 10, much like melodicrock.com's review. I think 7 / 10 is prob the lowest rating teh band'l score anywhere.

So far all ratings elsewhere have been in the 8.5 to 9.5 range.

Tim's rating of anything good is always guaranteed to be the lowest you'll see anywhere. I'm a hard marker. Tim is a harsh/evil marker. ;)

Well this CD just snuck into the office here and I will blast the shit out of it on the way home this afternoon. It'll be my one and only spin for 2 weeks, but I might drop in here tonight with my initial impression. I am excited.

Tim has been drinking too much whiskey, how come he rate some of White Widdow songs at 4/10 ? probably he's mistaken that he's been listening to Pearl Jam rather than Widdow lol cheers :drink::christmas:

and Geoff, if XOrigin at 90% for you, I don't think this one will go below it, probably better for you, but let's see how you go with it :popcorn:

Tim has been drinking too much whiskey, how come he rate some of White Widdow songs at 4/10 ? probably he's mistaken that he's been listening to Pearl Jam rather than Widdow lol cheers :drink::christmas:

and Geoff, if XOrigin at 90% for you, I don't think this one will go below it, probably better for you, but let's see how you go with it :popcorn:

:lol:

Yeah, big fan of that Xorigin CD but I do expect the White Widdow one to be even better. Really looking forward to it.

Guess I just have higher standards than everyone else. After all, if the band can write a song like "How Far I Run" then how is it possible on the same disc for them to include a song like "Love Won't Wait" (which is shit and has a terrible chorus)? They have potential to make a great disc IMO, but they should be filling their albums with songs like "Cry Wolf" and "Serenade" rather than "Show Your Cards" (bland/lifeless stuff). Anyone who seriously rates this as 9/10 needs to get some perspective.

Just been doing a few %'s for the new releases on the front pages and 'Serenade' got a healthy 83. I marked the debut 80 last year, so about a fair mark I think.

Just been doing a few %'s for the new releases on the front pages and 'Serenade' got a healthy 83. I marked the debut 80 last year, so about a fair mark I think.

Yeah backed, I rated it as fairly as I could last night and it came in at about 84%....around about the same as the debut. As good as it is (with a couple of killer tracks on board)...there are better albums around so this is already outside the top 10 for me......combine the best parts of both albums though and you get a killer set for Firefest :-))

Well, I got to spin this in the car this afternoon and here are my initial thoughts.

Firstly, I do actually think there is a solid difference between 'Serenade' and the debut. As I said elsewhere, I thought the debut was melodic hard rock, just with a lot of keys. I never thought of it as an AOR CD. Now, the new one... different story. To me, at least, this new one sounds a lot more AOR-ish than the debut. There were a few tunes off the debut, like 'Tokyo Rain,' 'Cross to bear,' 'Fire and Ice' and even to an extent, 'Broken hearts won't last forever.' All these tracks, despite the keys, still had a solid set of balls and were good hard rockers. Now, don't get me wrong. LOVE what I hear of the new CD, but I did notice there didn't appear to be obvious melodic hard rockers... it seemed to be much more in AOR territory. Very smooth, very slick.

Two things. If 'Love won't wait' is a 4/10 I will spend a day with my testicles in my mouth, suckling heavily. And two; Tim, if I get to a point where I honestly believe you think this song is so bad it's only a 4/10 I will also do the same - suckle my testicles for a full day. Sure, I agree it's the weakest song on the CD. Yeah, it's generic and the chorus isn't as good as other songs. But 4/10? That's not just a filler you skip next time you play the CD because it's average as hell. 4/10 is actual real rubbish that you don't even bother finishing the first time you play the CD. Like something painfully bad. To each their own, but I think that in making a point of not liking this band as much as others, thoughts on this song might have been over-emphasised in form of untruthfullness... just to make a point.

Whatever else one says about this band, after hearing this CD I would suggest that White Widdow probably cater to some of the most intelligent and exciting rhythm guitar in the scene at the moment. These days I don't often hear how good guitar can be in verses - not just when it comes to the solo. White Widdow have not forgotten. Tim touched on it above, but some of the verses on this CD are every bit as good, if not even better than the chorus. Because there is just some of the most delicious guitar and well constructed verses here.

Anyway, I seem to be heavily carrying on after just one spin. I'll comment in detail more later, but early faves were... well, honestly, most of them. Seriously. I would pinpoint the title track and 'Love won't wait' as being the two weakest songs, but I loved the rest. I personally LOVE 'Show your cards.' Even with me not really being an AOR enthusiast, I just thought it was such a killer pure AOR song. I loved how it was a bit of a different feel to the album... really worked for me. I guess if I had to pick a highlight, 'Patiently' really stood out for me. Amazing ballad, taking full advantage of those stunning verses I mentioned above. I guess I'd agree the first 5 stood out for me too - especially the killer hooky 'Reckless nights.' But yeah, not kidding when I say I loved it all.

Hard to say how it'll rate after one spin, but it was a very favourable first spin. No doubt it will at least score in the mid to late 80's for me personally.