Winger - Karma

Guest Dangerous Toy

Guest Dangerous Toy

I just listened to the whole album online and I've got to say that I'll pass on this one. The playing is great which is to be expected from Winger, but the modern production absolutely kills this one for me. Everything is mixed so loud like every rock tune I hear on the radio today and Kip sounds like he's singing through some kind of computerized microphone half of the time. What gives?

These guys are way too damn talented for nonsense like this. The songs are catchy and heavy enough, but this sounds like a weaker Pull with modern production. A lot of fans really seem to be digging Karma so I'd love to hear what you guys think of this one.

I think for the most part you will be alone on this one.

There's another thread around here where most people, including myself, talk about how great this disc is.

IMO it's the perfect combination of Pull mixed with some of the first two albums wrapped up with a more up to date production. Most reveiws I've read have been very positive. Then again I was almost alone in my love of the IV disc.

Wow, I don't get a modern production vibe at all. If anything, it's quite a bit rawer than a lot of the very polished modern rock/metal CDs these days. Sorry mate, don't hear it at all. As Wes says, awesome disc.

I have yet to get this disc, Danger Danger or the Lynch Mob release. Where is the best place to order these from?

I do most of my import ordering from NEH records but now that they've been out a while you might be able to find a better deal on Amazon.

Winger-Karma for $13.99 from Amazon or $10.99 from a different seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Karma-Winger/dp/B002...9680&sr=1-1

Lynch Mob-Smoke & Mirros with the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Mirrors-Lynch-...9680&sr=1-2

Danger Danger-Revolve quite a bit more pricey from Amazon but the seller Importcds(who I highly recommend) has it for $12.72.

Guest Dangerous Toy

I'll give it another spin then before actually deciding to pick it up or not. I have heard a few people say that it's a grower, but we'll see. Thanks for the input everyone. I should have come back to this forum years ago.

:headbanger:

I just listened to the whole album online and I've got to say that I'll pass on this one. The playing is great which is to be expected from Winger, but the modern production absolutely kills this one for me. Everything is mixed so loud like every rock tune I hear on the radio today and Kip sounds like he's singing through some kind of computerized microphone half of the time. What gives?

These guys are way too damn talented for nonsense like this. The songs are catchy and heavy enough, but this sounds like a weaker Pull with modern production. A lot of fans really seem to be digging Karma so I'd love to hear what you guys think of this one.

seriously, winger - karma is one of the best album of the last decade imho :beerbang:

THE biggest surprise of 2009 for me.

As most will know, Winger were all but dead for me after that disastrous Firefest performance.....I vowed never to buy or listen to their music EVER again.

I must admit though that Karma is totally awesome and ended up I think in the top 5 of 09 for me.

:headbanger:

I have yet to get this disc, Danger Danger or the Lynch Mob release. Where is the best place to order these from?

I do most of my import ordering from NEH records but now that they've been out a while you might be able to find a better deal on Amazon.

Danger Danger-Revolve quite a bit more pricey from Amazon but the seller Importcds(who I highly recommend) has it for $12.72.

Excellent, thank you Wes!

I forgot to add, I buy one cd (Delain - Lucidity) from importcds, it arrived fast but the rear inserts somehow was destroyed with a rip/hole, like something punctured the case...though the case and package were undamaged. They refunded my money plus shipping, no problem...so I might look their way again.

I forgot to add, I buy one cd (Delain - Lucidity) from importcds, it arrived fast but the rear inserts somehow was destroyed with a rip/hole, like something punctured the case...though the case and package were undamaged. They refunded my money plus shipping, no problem...so I might look their way again.

I've never had any problem with them or Movie Mars seller over there.

Both usually have great prices on new stuff after it's been out a couple of months.

Wow, I don't get a modern production vibe at all. If anything, it's quite a bit rawer than a lot of the very polished modern rock/metal CDs these days. Sorry mate, don't hear it at all. As Wes says, awesome disc.

Yeah I agree. I mean the mastering technique is similar to all other modern discs (i.e, compressed & a bit distorted), but the overall sound is very raw which gives a good guitar tone. Sure it's not got the 80's polish that people like Beau Hill were able to give them - largely because of the budget - but I kinda think this sound helps them sound more powerful. I don't think the album starts well at all, but once into it's stride is as good a disc as you could expect from them....

seriously, winger - karma is one of the best album of the last decade imho :beerbang:

I'll second this. As a matter of fact I'm not to keen on most new releases. I mostly always find something wrong with them one way or another, but this one is as flawless as it gets for an album released at the end of the last decade.

Of course there's always room for improvement in them producing an even better outcome, but take a song like Always Within Me and I'd easily consider it a part 2 to Spell I'm Under. Different song, but not any less awesome to me. Not to mention my favorite song Witness here, a killer track reminding me of classic Winger as presented on the first 2 albums and so on, yet an unique song in its own right. One of their best of all time IMO. Pull Me Under, Stone Cold Killer and After All These Years are other favorites. Easily among the best Hard Rock releases I've heard in a long long time, and among my favorite Winger albums in general just the same.

I guess I understand what the TC means. I get that vibe at some places, the first track is an example. But still this is at least 80% good production all the way through to me. And definitely in comparision to the many albums who do deserve a lot more of this kind of criticism IMO. The above mentioned songs I consider a continuation of the classic Winger catalogue. Great songs in their own right I don't consider any inferior to past outings. Let me finish with that if this was the debut, In The Heart Of The Young or Pull just released you bet some people would've found something wrong with it just the same. But no, a good album is a good album to me. And to me this most definitely fits the description of one.

I think I said it before, and certainly said it about the D2 disc, I dont see any issues with the production on this album.

I listen to it on my PC, my stereo and on my MP3 player through earphones, and it sounds all kinds of awesome.

If not for the Steel Panther disc, this would have been my top album of last year, without a doubt.

Ignoring the silly piano ditty at the end, which means the album ends on a whimper rather than a bang, there is not a bad song on this disc.

The first two tracks are absolute killers, and set the tone for what is the best thing they have done since Pull.

I've always liked Winger, but would never classify them as one of my top bands, but Pull really blew me away back when it came out, and Karma did exactly the same thing.

I intitally said this one was second to Pull, but now I'm not so sure, as I think that its probably equal to it, if not slightly ahead.

It's certainly not bad...but it's also certainly not stellar...it made a nice first impression when I got it...but I grew bored with it rather quickly. I prefer IV...

Really mate, I think it mullers Pull in every way.

I like Pull, but there's nothing on there to compete with songs like 'Pull Me Under', 'Always Within Me' and the awesome 'Witness'.

Cheers

It's certainly not bad...but it's also certainly not stellar...it made a nice first impression when I got it...but I grew bored with it rather quickly. I prefer IV...

I like Pull, but there's nothing on there to compete with songs like 'Pull Me Under', 'Always Within Me' and the awesome 'Witness'.

Cheers

Did you see that part, Glen? No point in a discussion here as we appear to have a set of broken ears. :(;)

Cheers

Did you see that part, Glen? No point in a discussion here as we appear to have a set of broken ears. :(;)

I wouldn't go that far even though I do prefer Karma to IV but I seem to one of the few in these parts that actually enjoyed the progressive side of Winger on IV.

seems like Karma is vocally better and a little more heavier than the last one ..........

And it actually has good songs on it too.