My New Car

Jacob M.

Today I went car shopping and I got my first car ever. I went to a local dealer with my Aunt and I took a few cars for a spin. I saw a 07' G6 so I thought I'd take it out. The tard who owned it before tinted the windows and had installed a Kenwood stereo. For some reason the inside was trashed. I drove it and it was hard to handle. I didn't like the way the seat felt or the way the interior was designed. That car was an instant disqualification. I then tried a Chevy Cobalt. I thought the interior was nice and it felt comfortable to sit in, but the thing didn't want to accelerate. It was like driving that old 92' Ford Tempo. I sat in another Pontiac that didn't look or feel right. Then I jumped into an 03' Grand Prix. That thing was nice. I liked the way it handled and it was comfortable inside. The only problem is that it was an 03' and it had 68,000 miles on it. If that wasn't a deal breaker the fact that the back window on the drivers side wouldn't roll up sure was. The guy said they would fix it, but anybody with smarts knows that once things start to go wrong on a car it's time to get rid of it. They wanted $9,000 for it.

The 97' Olds Achieva we were trying to trade or do the government junk trade on only had 75,100 miles on it. Since our Olds started falling about 5 years ago I can only imagine how fast that Pontiac would be headed that direction. In terms of mileage it wasn't that far behind. Anyway, they didn't have any decent Pontiacs so I looked in another direction. My Aunt wanted to look at the Malibu's so I tested one out. The dude grabbed the keys to a top of the line Malibu. I told the guy up front that I didn't want one with all of the bells and whistles. I drove it around and it handled like a dream. I told the guy I would consider a Malibu, but one of the lower tiered cars. Then he tried to convince my Aunt to buy that one. The guy tried to convince us that it only had 31,000 miles and that it was a great deal. The lower tiered car had 8 miles on it after I drove it around the block and it didn't cost very much more. After tons of time and effort we finally got the car. I'm honestly not sure if we made the right decision. My Aunt said it was so I went with it. It is a nice car, but I can't help but wonder what it would be like to have a Pontiac.

The junk trade fell through because the car doesn't run. They said they would only give us around $1200 for it so we still have it. Anyone know the best way to get rid of a car and not get taken? Also, any thoughts on me and my car? :) If only it turned into a Transformer it would be perfect.

l_19d79a4773ed4b35b697fd3c98b0661e.jpg

The old car. It still looks nice.

l_efc6a32f4c2e4c83b71e7826b9f12918.jpg

The new car.

l_12a289b4732a4f18b9daaff8d84ecb26.jpg

Me and my new car.

Looks nice, mate. Real schmick. As for getting the best value on an old car, the best way is obviously private sale, but not a guarantee either.

I'm pretty good with cars and have already spotted a problem you may not have noticed. The steering wheel's on the wrong side. Make sure you ask for a discount... :P

• My Little Pony
I'm pretty good with cars and have already spotted a problem you may not have noticed. The steering wheel's on the wrong side. Make sure you ask for a discount... :P

Yeah, even I know that. And don't say 'cause you're in North America, so am I and my car's steering wheel's on the right side, and that just happens to be the right side. You shouldn't have to pay to get that fixed, 'cause it's not really not your fault. It's your first car, you didn't know.

• 2023 Gold Donors

..test drove one of the new Camaros over the weekend,some decent horse under the hood,drove fine but WAY overhyped and d*mn wtf is the deal with these newer designs? The thing looks too similar to the newer Mustangs-f**k that! Cars used to have some character lookswise and in the body style..Ah,couldn't afford one anyway so...

The newer Malibus are sweet vehicles. Just take care of the maintenance and it should run like a dream. Hate to say it but Geoff is probably right. Best money is on a private sale but easiest is trade-in to a dealer but you will lose some money on the trade. Trade in value is always lower. You could check Kelly Blue Book online to see check each value to see what you are losing. Their website is www.kbb.com. Good luck!!

The problem with the Olds is that it's falling apart. Not sure who would buy a car that has tons of problems. It only has 75,100 miles on it so it should be in better shape. The thing that has been bothering me about the new car is the fact that I'm going to have to work my ass off to pay for it. I bloody hate being in debt. I don't want to owe anyone anything. I'm hoping that we can get a decent amount from the Olds to put on the new car and that my dad will be able to help. He said he would, but that was last year before the economy took a nosedive.

Seeing as we're talking about new cars, thought I'd post a piccy of my recent aquisition

DSCF0468.jpg

Nice. I looked at the Volvo Hatch too, went for the Astra VXR instead....

..test drove one of the new Camaros over the weekend,some decent horse under the hood,drove fine but WAY overhyped and d*mn wtf is the deal with these newer designs? The thing looks too similar to the newer Mustangs-f**k that! Cars used to have some character lookswise and in the body style..Ah,couldn't afford one anyway so...

I don't know anything about cars but I'm bored so read this topic. I do recall thinking Camaros were cool way back when and trans ams. I had a what we call a "boy racer" car many years ago honda xr7 or something. Looked cool but what a pile of crap that was.