Mike Tramp (pre white lion)

66 mustang

There was boxset, that Mike was selling at gigs, which features early stuff. Unfortunely it is now deleted.

:guitbannana:

Wikipedia

Michael Trampenau was born in Denmark, and grew up on Vesterbro with his single mother and two brothers, Dennis and Kim. Mike started his musical career singing in a youth group club in Copenhagen called Vesterbro Ungdomsgård, and appears on their first album: Vi lever på Vesterbro (1974).

• 4 months later...

Around 1981, Mabel used the name STUDS and recorded and released an LP in Spain only (Hispavox Records). It was an attempt to escape the teeny bop crowd that followed Mabel. I was always under the impression that DANISH LIONS was just the STUDS stuff reissued? Is this not the case?

any info on Danish Lions? anyone know about this band?

By 1980 Mabel were living in Spain and, looking to go in a heavier direction, the band changed to the Studs moniker and released the self-titled album on Hispavox. After a life changing encounter with his hero David Lee Roth on a Van Halen visit to Madrid Tramp and band moved to New York City, changing the name to Lion in the process. It was here they were joined by Oliver Steffenson and recorded a number of demo tracks, including a formative version of 'El Salvador'. Incidentally, the Studs album features a song called 'Rock You Tonight' that was incorporated into the early White Lion live sets that they were still playing in 1985.

Lion - or Danish Lions as the band were also known as - recorded a different selection of songs to Studs rather than the demo just being solely re-recordings of the Studs album. There are a few songs that were played by both with 'Take Me Home' being re-recorded from the album and a couple of other Studs tracks that were not featured on the album ('When Rock N Roll Was Born' and 'Bring It On Home') being re-cut by Lion.

I have the Studs album and the Tramp box set. The latter is absolutely fascinating in terms of the evolution of White Lion. Early White Lion demos include re-recordings of the aforementioned 'Rock You Tonight' and Lion/Danish Lions songs 'Two People', 'Deep In Love With You' and 'How Does It Feel'. The first three were on the first White Lion demo featuring Tramp, Vito Bratta, bassist Bruce Terkildsen and drummer Mike Arbeny (aka Michael Clayton, later of Tyketto).

Hopefully Tramp may raid the Mabel archive for a similar box set in the future, especially in light of the recent reunion for Danish TV!

By 1980 Mabel were living in Spain and, looking to go in a heavier direction, the band changed to the Studs moniker and released the self-titled album on Hispavox. After a life changing encounter with his hero David Lee Roth on a Van Halen visit to Madrid Tramp and band moved to New York City, changing the name to Lion in the process. It was here they were joined by Oliver Steffenson and recorded a number of demo tracks, including a formative version of 'El Salvador'. Incidentally, the Studs album features a song called 'Rock You Tonight' that was incorporated into the early White Lion live sets that they were still playing in 1985.

Lion - or Danish Lions as the band were also known as - recorded a different selection of songs to Studs rather than the demo just being solely re-recordings of the Studs album. There are a few songs that were played by both with 'Take Me Home' being re-recorded from the album and a couple of other Studs tracks that were not featured on the album ('When Rock N Roll Was Born' and 'Bring It On Home') being re-cut by Lion.

I have the Studs album and the Tramp box set. The latter is absolutely fascinating in terms of the evolution of White Lion. Early White Lion demos include re-recordings of the aforementioned 'Rock You Tonight' and Lion/Danish Lions songs 'Two People', 'Deep In Love With You' and 'How Does It Feel'. The first three were on the first White Lion demo featuring Tramp, Vito Bratta, bassist Bruce Terkildsen and drummer Mike Arbeny (aka Michael Clayton, later of Tyketto).

Hopefully Tramp may raid the Mabel archive for a similar box set in the future, especially in light of the recent reunion for Danish TV!

Wow some great info. I had no idea that Micheal Clayton was involved with White Lion.

There's a biography out (only in danish) that tells the whole story. It also has a complete discography in the back. There's quite a list of MABEL releases (they were huge here in Denmark during the 70s). Right now there's a best of CD out - still selling a lot of albums. Mike Tramp recently appeared on the "All Stars" show on TV, ending up in the finals with his Rock choir. But the band you'd wanna look into is STUDS which had quite a Hard Rock thing going on. They relocated to the US after their spanish hiatus period. They broke up in N.Y.C. and Mike went on to form LION (not the Doug Aldrich band) which later changed to WHITE LION and the rest is history...

There's a biography out (only in danish) that tells the whole story. It also has a complete discography in the back. There's quite a list of MABEL releases (they were huge here in Denmark during the 70s). Right now there's a best of CD out - still selling a lot of albums. Mike Tramp recently appeared on the "All Stars" show on TV, ending up in the finals with his Rock choir. But the band you'd wanna look into is STUDS which had quite a Hard Rock thing going on. They relocated to the US after their spanish hiatus period. They broke up in N.Y.C. and Mike went on to form LION (not the Doug Aldrich band) which later changed to WHITE LION and the rest is history...

Good to see you around brother, been awhile, hope all's good with you! :drink:

Early White Lion Stuff & Demos

This link may be worth checking out. It contains the following:

Unreleased Tracks- 1981-1982

ROCK YOU TONIGHT / SHE'S GONNA ROCK YOU / GIRL YOU GAVE YOURSELF TO FAST / LOOKIN' FOR A FEELIN' / TAKE ME HOME / THE WORLD IS ROCKIN' / WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT / I'M BACK AGAIN / HE'S ALWAYS LONELY / WHEN ROCK N ROLL WAS BORN (BONUS) / BRING IT ON HOME (BONUS) / STREET GIRL

Danish Lions-Disc 2

Unreleased- Era 1982-83

RUNNING WITH THE NIGHT / BROOKLYN BOY / DEEP IN LOVE / EL SALVADOR / WHEN ROCK N ROLL WAS BORN / TAKE ME HOME / HOW DOES IT FEEL / YOU'RE THE ONLY GIRL / TWO PEOPLE / WILD BOYS / BRING IT ON HOME

Mike and Oliver-Brothers for Life

Unreleased - 1995-1997

GET OUT OF MY WAY / READY TO GO / TOO MUCH TO DRINK / FLOWERS / IF YOUR GONNA HURT ME / TAKING OUT MY OLD GUITAR / WALKING THE THIN LINE / I WILL FIGHT NO MORE / DISTURBING THE PEACE / SHOW ME THE WAY TO HEAVEN / GET ME OUT OF HERE / WORDSDON'T COUNT / ONE LOVE

WHITE LION-UNRELEASED 1983-1985

Demo's/Unreleased - Fight to Survive Officially Released 1985

DEEP IN LOVE WITH YOU / TWO PEOPLE / ROCK YOU TONIGHT / EVIL ANGELS / AFTER A BROKEN HEART / HOW DOES IT FEEL / ROCK YOU TONIGHT / THE ROAD TO VALHALLA / WASTED CITY / I'M ON MY WAY / TONIGHT WE'LL CHANGE IT / THE ROCK IS FALLING / RIDE THROUGH THE STORM / ROCK TO THE TOP / THE LAST TIME / WE ROCK ALL NIGHT / EARLY WARNINGS

WHITE LION-PRIDE TAKE ONE 1986

Unreleased/ Demos- Pride Officially Released 1987

HUNGRY / 1986 WORK TAPE / LONELY NIGHTS / 1986 WORK TAPE / SWEET LITTLE LOVIN' / 1986 WORK TAPE / SAY GOODBYE / 1986 WORK TAPE / TURN IT UP / 1986 WORK TAPE / ALL JOIN OUR HANDS / 1986 WORK TAPE / HUNGRY / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / LONELY NIGHTS / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / SWEET LITTLE LOVIN' / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / SAY GOODBYE / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / LADY OF THE VALLEY / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / ALL JOIN OUR HANDS / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / TELL ME / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / WAIT / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING / WHEN THE CHILDREN CRY / 1986 ORIG. RECORDING

WHITE LION-BIG GAME DEMO'S

Demos / Unreleased - Big Game Officially released 1989

GOIN' HOME TONIGHT / BABY BE MINE / DON'T SAY IT'S OVER / BROKEN HOME / IF MY MIND IS EVIL / CRY FOR FREEDOM / DIRTY WOMAN / LIVING ON THE EDGE / LET'S GET CRAZY / LITTLE FIGHTER / TILL DEATH DO US PART / CHEROKEE (BONUS-ACOUSTIC 1991) / CRY FOR FREEDOM (BONUS-ACOUSTIC 1991)

WHITE LION-MANE ATTRACTION (START TO FINISH)

Demos / Unreleased - Mane Attraction Officially Released 1991

TIME TO WONDER / BACK ON THE STREET / OUT WITH THE BOYS / SHE'S GOT EVERYTHING / IT'S OVER / ALL THAT I NEED / BROKEN HEART / DEATH DO US PART / LEAVE ME ALONE / FAREWELL TO YOU / LIGHTS AND THUNDER (8 TRACK DEMO) / LOVE DON'T COME EASY (8 TRACK DEMO) / TIL DEATH DO US PART (8 TRACK DEMO) / YOU'RE ALL I NEED (8 TRACK DEMO) / LIKE A DOG (8 TRACK DEMO)

Mike and Oliver-Brothers for Life - WHAT is this?

Mike Tramp and Oliver Steffensen, songs they put together before Freak of Nature. Apparantly Oliver Steffensen released this as an album at some point under the name "Mike and Oliver-Brothers For Life". But according to this link, the album is unreleased. So the songs to be pre- Freak of Nature, must have been written/recorded pre- 1991 and Oliver planned to release them on an album in 1995-1997 but for whatever reason this never happened. Just guessing though.

• 4 years later...

Mike and Oliver-Brothers for Life - WHAT is this?

Mike Tramp and Oliver Steffensen, songs they put together before Freak of Nature. Apparantly Oliver Steffensen released this as an album at some point under the name "Mike and Oliver-Brothers For Life". But according to this link, the album is unreleased. So the songs to be pre- Freak of Nature, must have been written/recorded pre- 1991 and Oliver planned to release them on an album in 1995-1997 but for whatever reason this never happened. Just guessing though.

Reading the booklet from the Tramp set I thought I remember them having a falling out?