Strangest subject matter in a song?

Jimbo

Although the lyrics to a song are rarely a "make or break" for me, I do find myself enjoying more songs that are about things other than boy meets girl, boy boinks girl or boy drinks and smokes until the girl shows up.

Sticking just to songs on the HH data base (or songs that should be on there but aren't yet), what are the strangest/most unique songs when it comes to subject matter that you can think of? I would love to check some of them out!

'Sandwich' by Ugly Kid Joe is about the best I can think of. It's about sandwiches and fish. :lol: Love that song.

It's hard to think of others off the top of my head, but Lynn Allen may have had a couple too? Maybe... I can't even think of any at the moment. :(

Thanks, Geoff. It looks like most folks are going to have to ruminate about this one...

However, since I started this thread I have thought of one song I love because of its weird subject: "Pull the Plug" by Starz. It's about a guy taking his girlfriend off of life support. Rock and roll! :D

Pearls & Swine... the most awful band on HH has a song about incest.

Ewww. :omg:

Thanks, Geoff. It looks like most folks are going to have to ruminate about this one...

However, since I started this thread I have thought of one song I love because of its weird subject: "Pull the Plug" by Starz. It's about a guy taking his girlfriend off of life support. Rock and roll! :D

And a great song that one. A great album as well. Off the top of my head, maybe "Cold Ethyl" by Alice Cooper. About sex with a frozen, dead girl. Great guitar riff. :headbanger:

And a great song that one. A great album as well. Off the top of my head, maybe "Cold Ethyl" by Alice Cooper. About sex with a frozen, dead girl. Great guitar riff. :headbanger:

Haha. Yeah, that reminds me, The Deadthings have a couple of songs about sex with dead girls too.

Oh, and Jimbo... I trust you have Butch Walker's work? Marvelous 3 and his solo discs? Even in his delivery of some standard themes he can weave a web of delight like few others with his lyrics.

House of a Thousand Corpse by Rob Zombie is about cannibals :whistle:

Nothin Song by Alice In Chains; "Nothin song, sticks to your mouth like peanut butter on the brain"

oh and not necessarily our kinda music (then again, neither is Rob Zombie or AIC :P) but White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane....those lyrics are amazing when you're in the right frame of mind ;)

I'd say Fate deserves a mention.......... surgeon in love.......... what a song what lyrics, never fails to creata smile on my face.. heheh ........

Oh yeah, Fate for sure!!! 'Larry' is another of my all-time faves. But yeah, all of Fate's CDs have some great cool lyrics.

Another CD I also really like lyrically is Vain's 'Move on it'. Some magnificent stuff there, about re-incarnation etc.

I love Warrant's 'April 2031' too. And 'Andy Warhol was right'... and the entire 'Dog eat dog' album...

anyone know if there is a true story behind In the Air Tonight? I heard something years ago, not sure what it was??

Here's some that really fuck with me.

Sagittarius - Child Molestor

Wicked Maraya - The Legacy

Sundogs - Veterans Song

Their was a 70's song, and I don't know who it was by, but it used to scare the fuck out of me when I was a little kid, they talk about flying along and hitting something in the air! that shit fucked with me when I was a kid boy,

and ive never been able to figure out what Killer Dwarfs - All That We Dream is about, and that fucks with me, it's like, what the fuck are they singing about?

I love Warrant's 'April 2031' too.

Those futuristic songs are pretty funny. 2031 is only 22 years away now and I doubt we're going to be breathing through oxygen masks(as the song suggests), or that there will be no more sky/trees/oceans.

If Lane had predicted that he'd get fat, make a tit of himself, and forget how to write good songs, then he might've been more accurate....

If Lane had predicted that he'd get fat, make a tit of himself, and forget how to write good songs, then he might've been more accurate....

:rofl2:

how about Marillion - Fugazi

Great lyrics (as with most Fish era Marillion).

Those futuristic songs are pretty funny. 2031 is only 22 years away now and I doubt we're going to be breathing through oxygen masks(as the song suggests), or that there will be no more sky/trees/oceans.

Now THAT is funny! :rofl2:

Now THAT is funny! :rofl2:

VERY funny !! :rofl2:

Blind Melon - Skinned

a song about Ed Gein, "I'll make a shoehorn outta your shin, I'll make a lampshade of durable skin"

The same thing Slayers - Dead Skin Mask is about!

The same thing Slayers - Dead Skin Mask is about!

yeah, Gein has been inspiration for alot of pop culture, can anyone name the 3 most iconic onscreen murderers that were based on him?

and if we're talking about Slayer then i'd suggest Angel Of Death...