Dokken - "Greatest Hits Re-recorded"

rob62972

• 2023 Gold Donors

Will probably sound excellent...if they do all of the songs like they do 'em live' (faithful renditions) but i wasn't a fan of George screwing with the old stuff on 'Revolution' and id have some reservations on Don trying to re-do these also.Feel alot better about it if George and Pilson were back in the fold to do this.

I guess I'm the only one really looking forward to this. Sure the original versions can't be touched, but Levin can do Lynch spot on. Plus, hearing these tunes with todays production...I think this will be really cool. Then again, I was one of the few guys who liked it when Testament & Exodus did the same thing with their classics.

Oh I agree about Levin, he can play Lynch's stuff very well.

But as Metal T mentioned I just wish that Pilson was still in the band.

Will probably sound excellent...if they do all of the songs like they do 'em live' (faithful renditions) but i wasn't a fan of George screwing with the old stuff on 'Revolution' and id have some reservations on Don trying to re-do these also.Feel alot better about it if George and Pilson were back in the fold to do this.

Oh yeah...if they were going to try & "modernize" the songs it would suck. I wasn't a fan of Revolution, either. But I don't think that's what they're doing here.

By the way, I really hope they come up with a better title for it than simply "Greatest Hits Re-Recorded" :)

By the way, I really hope they come up with a better title for it than simply "Greatest Hits Re-Recorded" :)

Real old tunes revisited.

"Dusting Off Previously Done Ditties With Different Dudes"

Real old tunes revisited.

How about "Passable hair metal songs that weren't that great to begin with now re-recorded in the faint hope they turn out better this time around"?

Too long, ya think?

I love the old Dokken stuff but with any band, I just don't need to hear re-recorded versions of the tunes I love. It's just not a draw for me, but I'm generally considered to have poor taste.

Ditto. It would be a different story if the Dokken catalog was out of print but the originals are easily obtainable.

But its about the band wanting to make some money off their albums rather than their old record label reaping all the profits.

This is why on the change the world album, all the newer stuff is the studio recordings, and the classic stuff is the live stuff, because they cannot afford the rights to the original recordings.

Any original album thats still in print feeds the record label, not the artist!

But its about the band wanting to make some money off their albums rather than their old record label reaping all the profits.

This is why on the change the world album, all the newer stuff is the studio recordings, and the classic stuff is the live stuff, because they cannot afford the rights to the original recordings.

According to Lynch they had an opportunity to reissue the entire catalog but Don turned it down.

I'm not sure if they would of got any ownership of the masters out of that or not but I wish they would reissue and remaster all of the 80's stuff, especially 'Chains' and 'Nail' which both need a remaster bad IMO.

According to Lynch they had an opportunity to reissue the entire catalog but Don turned it down.

I'm not sure if they would of got any ownership of the masters out of that or not but I wish they would reissue and remaster all of the 80's stuff, especially 'Chains' and 'Nail' which both need a remaster bad IMO.

:agree: If those two albums ever got a decent remaster I'd pick them up in a heartbeat!

It wouldnt be the first time George has blamed Don for something, or Don blamed George, so I would take that with a pinch of salt anyway.

That said, I'd assume if they were given the opportunity, I'd assume the rights to the masters would not have been forthcoming, unless the paid for them.

My betting is that it would just have been the record label paying Don and George to to the remastering, or be involved in it, rather than them getting the rights to release them themselves.