The Last Starfighter vs. The Black Hole

66 mustang

Last Starfighter vs. Black Hole  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow! Two good ones here...

I saw "The Black Hole" in the theatre when it came out, I believe I was about 9 years old. That big red robot "Maximilian" scared the living crap out of me cuz on that big screen he looked like he was about twenty feet tall. The scene where he killed Anthony Perkins' character with his spinning blades haunted me for weeks. That robot was fuckin EVIL!!!

... so I gotta vote for "Black Hole" on this one, just for the memories it brings back...

I went with the Black Hole. I still remember seeing it as a kid and loving it. Actually i still love it. I own it.

Being a Star Wars fan I was sure you'd go for The Last StarFighter.

Never liked it that much. Black Hole was just different to me. I enjoyed it a lot more. It wasn't great but entertaining,

:spvader:

Wow! Two good ones here...

I saw "The Black Hole" in the theatre when it came out, I believe I was about 9 years old. That big red robot "Maximilian" scared the living crap out of me cuz on that big screen he looked like he was about twenty feet tall. The scene where he killed Anthony Perkins' character with his spinning blades haunted me for weeks. That robot was fuckin EVIL!!!

... so I gotta vote for "Black Hole" on this one, just for the memories it brings back...

I totally agree with ya Keith :tumbsup:

I gotta look for that on dvd!!

Okay, so I have to ask. What the hell are these? I know you guys are old ( ;) ), but are you really that old? :lol: I've at least heard of most stuff y'all talk about, but I've never even heard these names before. I know wikipedia's right there, but what's the quick rundown? 70's sci-fi flicks?

Okay, so I have to ask. What the hell are these? I know you guys are old ( ;) ), but are you really that old? :lol: I've at least heard of most stuff y'all talk about, but I've never even heard these names before. I know wikipedia's right there, but what's the quick rundown? 70's sci-fi flicks?

"The Black Hole" was a late 70s sci-fi flick (1979 I believe) that was basically Disney's attempt to bite into "Star Wars" mania. If memory serves, it was somewhat controversial at the time as it was the first Disney movie to be rated "PG" because it wasn't a kiddie flick. It involved a crew of astronauts who discovered a long-lost starship that had disappeared 20 years earlier while researching a black hole at the edge of the universe. For a 9 year old kid, it had EVERYTHING... cool spaceships, seemingly endless laser gun battles, robots, and tons of mayhem! :beerbang:

"Last Starfighter" came along in '84 or '85 and was about a teenage video game champ who was drafted by an alien race to help fight in their intergalactic war. The "video game" he'd been playing had been planted on Earth by said aliens and was actually a training device to help discover skilled star pilots. It had quite a whiz-bang rep because it was one of the first major motion pictures (after "Tron") that used totally computer-animated special effects (which were quite cool looking for the time though I'm sure they probably look primitive as Hell now).

Both were fun flicks, but I haven't seen either one in years so I have no idea how well either of them has aged.

On a side note, I used to have the comic book adaptations of both films (Black Hole was a 3-ish mini series from Gold Key, and Marvel did a 2 or 3 issue mini series version of Last Starfighter) in my collection. End geek note. :lol:

"The Black Hole" was a late 70s sci-fi flick (1979 I believe) that was basically Disney's attempt to bite into "Star Wars" mania. If memory serves, it was somewhat controversial at the time as it was the first Disney movie to be rated "PG" because it wasn't a kiddie flick. It involved a crew of astronauts who discovered a long-lost starship that had disappeared 20 years earlier while researching a black hole at the edge of the universe. For a 9 year old kid, it had EVERYTHING... cool spaceships, seemingly endless laser gun battles, robots, and tons of mayhem! :beerbang:

"Last Starfighter" came along in '84 or '85 and was about a teenage video game champ who was drafted by an alien race to help fight in their intergalactic war. The "video game" he'd been playing had been planted on Earth by said aliens and was actually a training device to help discover skilled star pilots. It had quite a whiz-bang rep because it was one of the first major motion pictures (after "Tron") that used totally computer-animated special effects (which were quite cool looking for the time though I'm sure they probably look primitive as Hell now).

Both were fun flicks, but I haven't seen either one in years so I have no idea how well either of them has aged.

HAHA. I knew I could count on you, brother Keef. I see. Not sure I'll ever see them - in fact, I know I won't - but at least I know what they are now. ;)

Who are you calling old! :spvader:

Who are you calling old! :spvader:

Uh... uh... Wes? Yeah, just Wes. Certainly not you, mate. ;)