Blu Ray players?

Faron

Hello all

As I`m hoping to get Mrs Rock Fan a Nintendo Wii for her birthday, hopefully she`ll return the favour and buy me a Blu Ray Player for mine.

The question is, who has one, is it a standalone player or a Play Station 3?

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Hello all

As I`m hoping to get Mrs Rock Fan a Nintendo Wii for her birthday, hopefully she`ll return the favour and buy me a Blue Ray Player for mine.

The question is, who has one, is it a standalone player or a Play Station 3?

What would you recommend?

Thanks

I have the PS3 and I have never watched a movie on it, so I have no useful information.

Thank you and good night. :beerbang:

Seriously though, I'd recommend the PS3 either way just because it does double duty!

Haven't made the jump to Blu-Ray myself yet... I'm waiting till one or the other of the DVD players in my house craps out first :lol:

I haven't even looked at any of this Blu-Ray technology at all yet. We have way too many DVDs to think of converting unless 100% necessary.

I haven't even looked at any of this Blu-Ray technology at all yet. We have way too many DVDs to think of converting unless 100% necessary.

Yeah, but all DVD's will stop working on June 15th unless you have a blu-ray player or you do a quick conversion on your existing DVD's. I would be more than happy to do this for you, just send me your DVD's and I'll convert them for a reasonable price, because I love you.

Yeah, but all DVD's will stop working on June 15th unless you have a blu-ray player or you do a quick conversion on your existing DVD's. I would be more than happy to do this for you, just send me your DVD's and I'll convert them for a reasonable price, because I love you.

Well, I don't want to be left looking like a fool on June 15th so consider it DONE! PM me your address and I'll have them all there within the week! :wub:

If you're thinking of buying a PS3 then make sure it has the blu-ray included......however if you're like me and aren't interested in the PS3 then a stand alone would be the best choice to hook up to your TV....personally I'm in no rush to upgrade as DVDs are fine with me....

If you're thinking of buying a PS3 then make sure it has the blu-ray included......however if you're like me and aren't interested in the PS3 then a stand alone would be the best choice to hook up to your TV....personally I'm in no rush to upgrade as DVDs are fine with me....

I love great picture quality, that`s what interests me in Blu Ray.

I`m not a games fan at all but all the kids are but it`s a little more expensive than just a Blu Ray Player.

I love great picture quality, that`s what interests me in Blue Ray.

Is it really that much better than DVD? I'd find it hard to believe.

I have no clue about the quality of Blue Ray. I've never watched a Blue Ray movie... :(

I have no clue about the quality of Blue Ray. I've never watched a Blue Ray movie... :(

I don't doubt that if you positioned a LCDTV playing a DVD along side an identical LCDTV playing a Blu-ray disc that you would see a difference....the real question is, is it enough of a difference to justify the expense, not just of the player/LCDTV but of the higher cost of the Blu-ray discs themselves...

I would recommend the PS3 for a couple reasons. First you do have the game part ot it incase you ever want to use it or for your kids, ect. Second they just released a new PS3 with a 160 GB hard drive. You can burn all your cds directly to the unit and also buy movies and download through the PS3 network. I have one and as far as I know all PS3 have blue ray. I just burnt 2500 mp3's to my unit and it took up about 12gb. Imagine how much 160 will hold. I am not sure what a regular blue ray player is going for but you can by a new PS3 with 160gb hard drive for 423.00 Free shipping on ebay. The ps3 has so many cool gadgets on it when it comes to media, video, ect. I dont know how you can go wrong.

The pretty basic Sony 350 (about £150) will upscale your existing DVDs to about 4 times the picture quality. Believe me its better. You do of course need a full HD TV (preferable with 24 frames per sec).

Blue ray discs will look phenomenal.

I do hope v much to get one soon :tumbsup:

But a bluray player will play all your old dvd's and make them look even better with the upconvert feature.

Really? I did wonder about that but didn't know you could play DVDs on it. That's good to know. I'm sure we'll get one one day, but I really can't see it being anytime soon at all. Because in reply to Dead Planet; no, the difference in picture quality is not worth the extra expense. I don't even need to see the Blu-Ray to know that. DVDs are excellent quality. :)

But a bluray player will play all your old dvd's and make them look even better with the upconvert feature.

Really? I did wonder about that but didn't know you could play DVDs on it. That's good to know. I'm sure we'll get one one day, but I really can't see it being anytime soon at all. Because in reply to Dead Planet; no, the difference in picture quality is not worth the extra expense. I don't even need to see the Blu-Ray to know that. DVDs are excellent quality. :)

oh how wrong you are....the difference is immense - see above :tumbsup:

Blueray blows away DVD (on the right TV)

:drink:

my mate has a ps3 and we watched Spiderman 3 on it and the quality is alot better than dvd.you can see every wrinkle and mark on a persons face clear as day,amazing.

he also put on a standard dvd and the picture quality was improved but it helps that he has a hd lcd to play it on.i'm still happy with the quality of dvds on our hd plasma and i,m not going to replace all my dvds as i would have to take out a second mortgage to afford it.

A PS3 is a good choice from the point of view that 'it's a games console as well' plus codecs are updated via the interweb. It's also got one of the quickest disc load times for Blu Ray.

You can also use it as a media server/player.

However, it doesn't offer all of the currently available sound formats if that's an issue.

Stand alone player recomendation for you would be a Panasonic DMPBD35.

I'm saving money right now to get a blu-ray player. I really want to hold out for a sony. We sell a Magnavox for $100 cheaper and in anyone's opinion is the $100 extra worth it or am I just going to pay more for the Sony name on it?

Hi mate,

You just need to check out what the other machine offers. The Sony 350 will convert std def (480i) to 1080p (full HD) which will make your existing DVD library look significantly better. It will also uncompress the sound on a std DVD. A winner all round. Dont believe the doubters who say normal DVD is great anyway.......the difference is massive. IE have you ever compared a supposed 'digital' TV signal to a 'HD' one?? Put it this way - once youve seen HD, you'll forever think std def is shite.

Also via an ethernet port it will support firmware updates (the PS3 will do this too).....so some inprovements to technology can be obtained. for example http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/09/26/sony-...irmware-update/

Hope this helps.

Just for the record, any blu ray player you buy should come with a HD as well, otherwise when the newer versions of blu ray become available, you will not be able to play them or use all the features if you cannot update the firmware of your machine.

The PS3 is more expensive, but all in all, offers the best VFM as its not just a blu ray player.

It has gaming, can rip CDs to it, can surf the net, upscales DVDs and has a variety of other bells and whistles (voice chat etc).

Its already upgraded to blue ray vers 2 as well!

A PS3 is a good choice from the point of view that 'it's a games console as well' plus codecs are updated via the interweb. It's also got one of the quickest disc load times for Blu Ray.

You can also use it as a media server/player.

However, it doesn't offer all of the currently available sound formats if that's an issue.

Stand alone player recomendation for you would be a Panasonic DMPBD35.

Thanks mate, I`ve been reading some very complimentary reviews on this player in comparison to the Sony BDPS350 :tumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...