Nickelback - Dark Horse

T-BONE

The only modern hard rock release that people have been talking about that I consider to have been a waste of money is Disciple - Southern Hospitality. Does absolutely NOTHING for me. Unlistenable to my ears.

-Dan

Dan you heathen....how could you?

I can understand tho, completely different to Hinder/Nickelback etc.

What about Story Of The Year? That beats them all for me

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year has turned out exceptionally with respect to music releases. Making my Top 5 list is going to be excruciating. CDs that I thought for sure would be in contention back in June now won't make the list.

And it's not just traditional hard rock/AOR (Journey, Jimi Jamison, Rockarma, Marcello-Vestry, AC/DC) that have had stellar releases, but so-called "modern" hard rock has some REAL gems (Shinedown, Hinder, Nickelback). The only modern hard rock release that people have been talking about that I consider to have been a waste of money is Disciple - Southern Hospitality. Does absolutely NOTHING for me. Unlistenable to my ears.

-Dan

I've been meaning to ask how you went with that Disturbed CD. I notice it's not mentioned there but I remember you going wild about it when it was released. Did it fade for you too? I remember thinking it was okay-ish on first listen but I didn't play past the third or fourth song last time. :lol: Never been a fan of Disturbed. :(

As for the Disciple comments... I agree with Glen. You heathen!

This year has turned out exceptionally with respect to music releases. Making my Top 5 list is going to be excruciating. CDs that I thought for sure would be in contention back in June now won't make the list.

And it's not just traditional hard rock/AOR (Journey, Jimi Jamison, Rockarma, Marcello-Vestry, AC/DC) that have had stellar releases, but so-called "modern" hard rock has some REAL gems (Shinedown, Hinder, Nickelback). The only modern hard rock release that people have been talking about that I consider to have been a waste of money is Disciple - Southern Hospitality. Does absolutely NOTHING for me. Unlistenable to my ears.

-Dan

I've been meaning to ask how you went with that Disturbed CD. I notice it's not mentioned there but I remember you going wild about it when it was released. Did it fade for you too? I remember thinking it was okay-ish on first listen but I didn't play past the third or fourth song last time. :lol: Never been a fan of Disturbed. :(

It's still way up there for me. The only problem is that I went through a few weeks during the summer where I pretty much listened to it to death... over and over and over... which burned me out a bit, so I've deliberately NOT been listening to it and will revisit the disc before making my list.

I seriously don't know how I'm going to trim down and rank 5 CDs for the year. Ack!

-Dan

-Dan

It's still way up there for me. The only problem is that I went through a few weeks during the summer where I pretty much listened to it to death... over and over and over... which burned me out a bit, so I've deliberately NOT been listening to it and will revisit the disc before making my list.

I seriously don't know how I'm going to trim down and rank 5 CDs for the year. Ack!

-Dan

Wes and I were talking about that earlier...it's going to be nearly impossible to select a top five this year :(

-Dan

-Dan

Wes and I were talking about that earlier...it's going to be nearly impossible to select a top five this year :(

I'm actually pretty much locked in with my MHR and "modern" lists separate. Trying to blend them together would be hell, though (which is why I never bother). Although I think only Rockarma could penetrate the best 5 "modern" releases of this year...

missing something for me with Mutt in now, just ok for me, will keep trying!!!!

-Dan

-Dan

I'm actually pretty much locked in with my MHR and "modern" lists separate. Trying to blend them together would be hell, though (which is why I never bother). Although I think only Rockarma could penetrate the best 5 "modern" releases of this year...

Other way round for me - only SOTY and Hinder would penetrate my top 5 MHR. No idea where tho????!

...I've gotta say that despite their previous efforts leaving me with a resounding "meh" this one actually has quite a few hooks and melodies that have me enjoying it. I think the Mutt Lange "treatment" also helps as far as listenability.

...so-called "modern" hard rock has some REAL gems (Shinedown, Hinder, Nickelback). The only modern hard rock release that people have been talking about that I consider to have been a waste of money is Disciple - Southern Hospitality. Does absolutely NOTHING for me. Unlistenable to my ears.

-Dan

Not quite sure "Dark Horse" will top "All the Right Reasons" as the best Nickelback album, but it's definitely one of the best modern hard rock CDs of '08. Though honestly, I thought Mutt Lange's production would be better; I actually prefer the production jobs on the earlier Nickelback albums. Also, as I think Geoff mentioned, this does not rise to the level of Hinder: "Take it to the Limit," which continues to rock my balls off everytime I slip it in (yes, I know that sounds dirty).

But Dan...sweet Beelezebub in the bowels of perdition, how can you not like Disciple: "Southern Hospitality"? It absolutely destroys the last Disturbed album. But hey, to each their own--what you call "unlistenable," I call delicious music to my ears.

...I've gotta say that despite their previous efforts leaving me with a resounding "meh" this one actually has quite a few hooks and melodies that have me enjoying it. I think the Mutt Lange "treatment" also helps as far as listenability.

...so-called "modern" hard rock has some REAL gems (Shinedown, Hinder, Nickelback). The only modern hard rock release that people have been talking about that I consider to have been a waste of money is Disciple - Southern Hospitality. Does absolutely NOTHING for me. Unlistenable to my ears.

-Dan

Not quite sure "Dark Horse" will top "All the Right Reasons" as the best Nickelback album, but it's definitely one of the best modern hard rock CDs of '08. Though honestly, I thought Mutt Lange's production would be better; I actually prefer the production jobs on the earlier Nickelback albums. Also, as I think Geoff mentioned, this does not rise to the level of Hinder: "Take it to the Limit," which continues to rock my balls off everytime I slip it in (yes, I know that sounds dirty).

But Dan...sweet Beelezebub in the bowels of perdition, how can you not like Disciple: "Southern Hospitality"? It absolutely destroys the last Disturbed album. But hey, to each their own--what you call "unlistenable," I call delicious music to my ears.

'Unlistenable' is a big call, hey? :lol: Evil Dan.

Yeah, I'm sure I did say somewhere that I prefer Hinder and to follow up on that, I prefer it 10 times over. I really dig this new Nickelback CD but imo it's nowhere near the same level as Hinder's newie, it's not as good as 'All the right reasons' and it's not as good as 'Southern Hospitality'. :) IMO, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had this a few days now and have played it a fair few times already, and all I can say is WOW. Where the fuck did the hooks on here come from, as there are more on this one disc than the entire previous albums put together. 'Mutt' has had a hand in most of the songs I notice, so I put some of this new found good songwriting down to him. As I said previously, I have liked about 2 or 3 songs per album before, but there are at least 8 on here, with my fave track being 'Next Go Round' which has a massive chorus. A Very pleasant surprise indeed.

Did anyone notice the Leppard-ish Pour Some Sugar On Me "Hey" background vocals in the Shaking Hands tune? :popcorn:

Did anyone notice the Leppard-ish Pour Some Sugar On Me "Hey" background vocals in the Shaking Hands tune? :popcorn:

There's little 'Mutt'ism's all over the place on it. :headbanger:

I have had this a few days now and have played it a fair few times already, and all I can say is WOW. Where the fuck did the hooks on here come from, as there are more on this one disc than the entire previous albums put together. 'Mutt' has had a hand in most of the songs I notice, so I put some of this new found good songwriting down to him. As I said previously, I have liked about 2 or 3 songs per album before, but there are at least 8 on here, with my fave track being 'Next Go Round' which has a massive chorus. A Very pleasant surprise indeed.

Have you heard the 'All the right reasons' disc? I am with the masses in thinking that one is still by far the better of the two, but yeah, the new one is a goodie too. And I agree, the rest of the discography only have 1-3 good songs per disc.

Yep, I agree. I hear pieces straight from 'Waking Up the Neighbours' and 'Adrenalize' a few times on this disc.

Have you heard the 'All the right reasons' disc? I am with the masses in thinking that one is still by far the better of the two, but yeah, the new one is a goodie too. And I agree, the rest of the discography only have 1-3 good songs per disc.

Yep, I agree. I hear pieces straight from 'Waking Up the Neighbours' and 'Adrenalize' a few times on this disc.

Geoff - I have all of their stuff inc 'All The Right Reasons' and I still think 'Dark Horse' pisses over them all from a great height in every department. My fave track on 'Dark Horse' is still 'Next Go Round' which has a fucking monster of a chorus. No bad songs on here imo, which was a huge surprise for me.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so I'm here to eat my words. At first I wasn't overly impressed but now I can't stop listening to it. I am a HUGE fan of the band I must say. This cd just flat out rocks....Burn it to the Ground, Lights go Out, and my fave track the closer This Afternoon....check it out below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvR-e4iagM...feature=related