Axel Rudi Pell

Favorite Axel Rudi Pell Album  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Plenty to choose from here, just curious to see what your favorite Axle Rudi Pell disc is. My apologies if this has already been done I didn't see it in any of the previous polls. I have a feeling it's going to be based on one of his singers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent poll Bob! I went with his best moment imo...Eternal Prisoner!

Thanks Jarred. I only have one disc of his...very sad to say...it's Mystica so that's what I voted for. I want to start getting more of his stuff, I was curious what his best ones are and go from there.

Excellent poll Bob! I went with his best moment imo...Eternal Prisoner!

Thanks Jarred. I only have one disc of his...very sad to say...it's Mystica so that's what I voted for. I want to start getting more of his stuff, I was curious what his best ones are and go from there.

You've got mail ;)

The only Axel Rudi Pell I've even heard was his cover of the Rainbow song "Still I'm Sad" (which is actually a cover itself, of an old Yardbirds tune) on the "HOLY DIO" tribute CD

The only Axel Rudi Pell I've even heard was his cover of the Rainbow song "Still I'm Sad" (which is actually a cover itself, of an old Yardbirds tune) on the "HOLY DIO" tribute CD

That's actually the only one I've heard too, it's a good cover though.

Wow, Pell has been a busy guy. I have to admit I've only heard one of his albums once (the only one I own, I think it's Kings & Queens?) and although I remember enjoying it I haven't listened to it since. Love his work in Steeler though!

I am a big fan of Axel Rudi Pell! He never released a bad album!(imo)

My favorite is "Nasty Reputation"!

I was just thinking about the great vocalists that he has worked with:

Rob Rock, Jeff Scott Soto, & Johnny Geoli!

(i feel another pole coming on!)

I am amazed how many people have not heard him or have heard little of him. It is an absolute must to own Eternal Prisoner w/ Soto on vox. Essential...

I went with "Oceans Of Time" with a special mention to "The Masquerade Ball".

For those that have not heard much from Axel, the perfect starting place is "THE WIZARDS CHOSEN FEW" album, which is a double remastered Best Of and also the brilliant DVD, "Knight Treasures - Live And More".

Gioeli singing "The Clown Is Dead" on this DVD has to be heard and also includes one of the best drummers ever in Mike Terrana.

WOW, I'm surprised it looks like I'm not the only one who needs to be schooled in the ways of Mr. Pell.

Have you checked your e-mail yet Bob? :)

WOW, I'm surprised it looks like I'm not the only one who needs to be schooled in the ways of Mr. Pell.

Have you checked your e-mail yet Bob? :)

I just downloaded the files, thanks again Jarred. You da man. :tumbsup:

No way I can vote on this one. All I know is that I really dislike 'Magic', and I really enjoy the rest of them. Too hard to say which is the best, though, because they're all so similar. I'm leaning towards one of the first two, but recent ones, especially the last one, have been great too. Way too hard to pick it.

• 4 months later...
No way I can vote on this one. All I know is that I really dislike 'Magic', and I really enjoy the rest of them. Too hard to say which is the best, though, because they're all so similar. I'm leaning towards one of the first two, but recent ones, especially the last one, have been great too. Way too hard to pick it.

I'm making my way through the last few now because I will finally vote in this poll. I'm leaning towards one of the first 3-4 releases, though. I can't believe this guy has survived so long writing the same album over and over again, lol.

And now, with the help of Ty who fixed me up with 4 albums recently, I actually own every single Axel Rudi Pell studio release, aside from 'Mystica' and I sold 'Magic' a few years ago because I hate that album.

While we're in this thread, a few more questions:

Which is your least favourite album from him?

I always hated 'Magic' because it's the only one that doesn't follow his strict formula - but not in a good way. I think it was all double-kick drums throughout and the only good song was 'Turned to stone'. Not enough to keep it in my collection.

Does the fact he keeps writing the same album annoy you? Would you rather see him use some co-writers and mix the formula up just a little? I know, I know... if it ain't broke don't fix it... but seriously. :)

Do the length of the songs piss you off?

They've always annoyed me because I don't think these are 'epic-style' songs... I just get the feeling they're long for the sake of being long. I tell you now for a fact, if the songs were still all the same - hook/riff/chorus etc but modified to 4-5min in length, I would enjoy playing them a lot more and a lot more often. A lot of them, I get to the 4-5min market and end up hitting the skip button just out of frustration.

Anyway, that's my words for the day. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I like guys who stick to a formula that works for them, but ARP has done it for so long now you can pretty much guess every album before you hear it - with the short musical intro to the CD, the first track is always a fast-paced "average" rocker, followed by the 10min long ballads and 2-3 riff-driven monsters weighing in around the 4-6min mark... I'd just love to see him work with a co-writer for an album. The lyrics also, I find, are quite tired these days.

I like ARP and have heard or own many of his releases, but he's definitely not a favorite. I've always found the songwriting to be a bit amateurish and his playing while good (not saying i could do better) to me is a bit generic. I went with Kings and Queens, but I don't really love or hate any of them. So there... :anon:

I never really liked Johnny Gioeli as he doesn't suit this style IMO. "Oceans of Time" bores the shit out of me. JSS is the man, & "Eternal Prisoner" & "Between the Walls" are killers. The latter got my vote.

......Axel Rudi Who ???????????????????

In a nutshell...he's the German equivalent of Yngwie Malmsteen

An assessment on a few I heard over the last few days:

'Oceans of time' and 'Masquerade ball' - 2 of his weaker releases. Drums are weak on them both and the songs aren't his best. Both are okay, but not the greatest.

'Shadow Zone' and 'Kings and queens' - 2 of his best releases. Both have a slightly heavier, better sound and cool songs. Good stuff - I enjoyed these.

Pete's observation here is timely as, based on what I've heard recently, I plan to make a poll soon:

Do you think ARP, as a guitarist, is any better at all than your standard "hair metal" guitarist?

Obviously he is nowhere near your Andy Timmons, Mike Slamer, Harry Cody, Pete Fry etc, but do you think he's even on par with even the standard player from any of your favourite bands?

No offence to him. I like his stuff, as noted, but ability-wise, I don't think he's any better than your standard "hair metal" guitarist. Yeah, there's cool riffs and fast solos... but even CC Deville could do that. :) To me, even a CC Deville comes off sounding the better guitarist of the two. Amiright, or just clueless again? Every band I can think of - Tesla, Tora Tora, Warrant, Zero, Treat, Casanova, PC69... anyone I can think of, I prefer their guitarists, technically and sound-wise.