Axel Rudi Pell

Favorite Axel Rudi Pell Album  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think ARP, as a guitarist, is any better at all than your standard "hair metal" guitarist?

Obviously he is nowhere near your Andy Timmons, Mike Slamer, Harry Cody, Pete Fry etc, but do you think he's even on par with even the standard player from any of your favourite bands?

No offence to him. I like his stuff, as noted, but ability-wise, I don't think he's any better than your standard "hair metal" guitarist. Yeah, there's cool riffs and fast solos... but even CC Deville could do that. :) To me, even a CC Deville comes off sounding the better guitarist of the two. Amiright, or just clueless again? Every band I can think of - Tesla, Tora Tora, Warrant, Zero, Treat, Casanova, PC69... anyone I can think of, I prefer their guitarists, technically and sound-wise.

:agree: except that part about Pete Fry, that guy's freakin' lame-o... <_<

Seriously though, I don't think he's the caliber of guitarist that should have a band centered around him IMO, he's decent but not amazing. The songs are good but not incredible... that being said, anyone making and selling records in our genre is OK with me. :tumbsup:

..and as my Grandmother always said about opinions, "That's why they have chocolate and vanilla." :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think ARP, as a guitarist, is any better at all than your standard "hair metal" guitarist?

Obviously he is nowhere near your Andy Timmons, Mike Slamer, Harry Cody, Pete Fry etc, but do you think he's even on par with even the standard player from any of your favourite bands?

No offence to him. I like his stuff, as noted, but ability-wise, I don't think he's any better than your standard "hair metal" guitarist. Yeah, there's cool riffs and fast solos... but even CC Deville could do that. :) To me, even a CC Deville comes off sounding the better guitarist of the two. Amiright, or just clueless again? Every band I can think of - Tesla, Tora Tora, Warrant, Zero, Treat, Casanova, PC69... anyone I can think of, I prefer their guitarists, technically and sound-wise.

Seriously though, I don't think he's the caliber of guitarist that should have a band centered around him IMO, he's decent but not amazing. The songs are good but not incredible... that being said, anyone making and selling records in our genre is OK with me. :tumbsup:

..and as my Grandmother always said about opinions, "That's why they have chocolate and vanilla." :)

:lol: Nah, that Pete Fry guy's okay. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in the bedro- uh, holy shit. I mean, he makes up for it in handsomeness.

But yeah, I agree again. I also don't think he's good enough to have a band centered around him, but the fact that he has for over two decades now... complete congratulations to him. He's doing what he loves and people enjoy hearing what he loves... so it's all cool with me. As I said above, I don't mean any offence to the guy... I just don't think he's the best guitarist ever... doesn't mean he's a bad guy. :) Hell, I can't even pick at a guitar without sounding like a dying frog, but it doesn't mean I suck completely...

... does it? :(

:lol: Nah, that Pete Fry guy's okay. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in the bedro- uh, holy shit. I mean, he makes up for it in handsomeness.

But yeah, I agree again. I also don't think he's good enough to have a band centered around him, but the fact that he has for over two decades now... complete congratulations to him. He's doing what he loves and people enjoy hearing what he loves... so it's all cool with me. As I said above, I don't mean any offence to the guy... I just don't think he's the best guitarist ever... doesn't mean he's a bad guy. :) Hell, I can't even pick at a guitar without sounding like a dying frog, but it doesn't mean I suck completely...

... does it? :(

No way brother! I think the dying frog sound is making a comeback... and uh... you'll be there to uh... ride the crest of the wave! Yeah that's the ticket... ;)

Doug Aldrich>Pete Fry ;)

Doug Aldrich>Pete Fry ;)

:lol: I shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Aldrich... that guy's a fuckin' pro... I can't even imagine anything he can't play... :bowdown:

I consider Axel Rudi Pell to be a gifted guitarist, but unfortunately, he only writes 1 or 2 good songs per album. Still, this makes him far superior to the man he is most often compared to, Yngwie Malmsteen, who has only written one good song ("Heaven Tonight") in his entire career.

To hear killer guitar playing combined with good songs, check out some Impellitteri, particularly the releases with Rob Rock (who also sang for Pell) on lead vox. Far as I'm concerned, he blows away Malmsteen, Pell, and most other so-called "wizards."

Anyway, my vote went to "Nasty Reputation," which contains "Unchain the Thunder" and "Firewall," my two favorite Pell songs.

I consider Axel Rudi Pell to be a gifted guitarist, but unfortunately, he only writes 1 or 2 good songs per album. Still, this makes him far superior to the man he is most often compared to, Yngwie Malmsteen, who has only written one good song ("Heaven Tonight") in his entire career.

Have you set your ears upon 'Facing the animal'? Thought that'd be right up your alli, mate,

To hear killer guitar playing combined with good songs, check out some Impellitteri, particularly the releases with Rob Rock (who also sang for Pell) on lead vox. Far as I'm concerned, he blows away Malmsteen, Pell, and most other so-called "wizards."

I just wish Andy Timmons would get back into recording some hard rock tunes because IMO he blows away all three. I don't like guitar instrumental discs (though there are 4 songs included on it) but his 'Ear X-tacy II' CD is sensational, guitar-wise.

Well I own ALL of the Axel Rudi Pell albums and I voted for the first one (Wild Obsession). That album featured Charlie Huhn of Victory on vocals(one of my all time favorite bands). I thought he was awesome on Wild Obsession and I wish he and Pell would have made several more albums together. :beerbang:

Have you set your ears upon 'Facing the animal'? Thought that'd be right up your alli, mate,

I just wish Andy Timmons would get back into recording some hard rock tunes because IMO he blows away all three. I don't like guitar instrumental discs (though there are 4 songs included on it) but his 'Ear X-tacy II' CD is sensational, guitar-wise.

What the hell? That's my spelling damn it... ;)

:lol: I wasn't sure you'd notice the extent of my craftiness.

You sir are a crafty devil indeed... :banger:

If I were any craftier I think I'd be on display in an Art Gallery or something of the like.

If I were any craftier I think I'd be on display in an Art Gallery or something of the like.

...or at a tupperware party or something.

One annoying trait about ALL ARP albums is that you can hear every chord change on the guitar. I'm not sure of the technical term for it, but anyone who plays electric guitar will understand what I'm talking about. The annoying fingers sliding on the strings to the next fret position sound. It usually comes on the E, A and D strings because they are the wound type.

One annoying trait about ALL ARP albums is that you can hear every chord change on the guitar. I'm not sure of the technical term for it, but anyone who plays electric guitar will understand what I'm talking about. The annoying fingers sliding on the strings to the next fret position sound. It usually comes on the E, A and D strings because they are the wound type.

The Dreaded finger to string buzz....now that you mention it I had never noticed that...but

it's true...I'm listening to N R and I hear it... :rofl2:

• 2023 Gold Donors
Well I own ALL of the Axel Rudi Pell albums and I voted for the first one (Wild Obsession). That album featured Charlie Huhn of Victory on vocals(one of my all time favorite bands). I thought he was awesome on Wild Obsession and I wish he and Pell would have made several more albums together. :beerbang:

No sh*t ? I didn't know Charlie sorry sang on that.Gonna have to check it out.Thanks for the info.

The Dreaded finger to string buzz....now that you mention it I had never noticed that...but

:lol: Very true, probably a combination of his tonal settings and the fact that his guitar is way up in the mix. never even noticed that until now... :blink:

:lol: Very true, probably a combination of his tonal settings and the fact that his guitar is way up in the mix. never even noticed that until now... :blink:

Backed...I never really paid attention to it..now it's drivin me crazy... :rofl2:

Wowser!!! 100% BACKED!!! I was getting so pissed off with this hearing the discs the other day and I was going to bring it up too, but yeah, not sure what you call it. But I agree completely!!! It gets so irritating the way he abuses and overuses it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
I don't think he's any better than your standard "hair metal" guitarist.

?...thats a buncha crap.Been spinning alot of his stuff lately and he plays/writes alot better than your average "hair metal" guitarist.Take a listen to "Mystica".

Agree 100%. His material is awesome stuff but that noise irritates the absolute shit out of me and ruins what I class as otherwise, great albums.

The power ballad "Come Back To Me" is the perfect example....This song is a fuckin' monster but everytime you listen to it, all you hear is the fingers sliding on the strings making that irritating noise which absolutely destroys it.

I wish his albums could be remastered and that fuckin' noise removed.......If they could, I would listen to him alot more than I currently do.