The Greatest Thrash/Speed Metal Band Ever

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My favorite Thrash Metal band would have to be Testament.

What they were able to do on there first 6 releases was amazing IMO.

I know there's many that didn't like "The Ritual" but even if you omit that one they released 5 killer cds in 7 years.

1. Testament

2. Megadeth

3. Metallica(1983-1991)

4. Pantera

5. Anthrax

I'm with Martinsane on this one... even though I came very close to picking Metallica (strictly for sentimental reasons), I went with Overkill because they've always stuck to their guns, they never sold out, and are still kicking massive amounts of ass 20+ years after their debut!!

In short - Overkill Rulez. : :banger:

You've gone & done it this time Wes. How can you make me choose between Testament, Overkill & Sepultura? The likes of Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, F&J, Exodus... just released too many average albums to warrant consideration IMO.

The Green-era Sepultura ruled them out, & albums like "I Hear Black", "Necroshine", "RelixIV", "Coverkill" were just not quite as strong as the weakest Testament albums IMO. So Testament is my vote. Who also have the strongest 'lastest release' in: "The Gathering".

SLAYER!!! Then comes Nuclear Assault, Sepultura , Annihilator, Testament, Metallica, I didn't see Laaz Rockit on there Anthrax, and Overkill.

No I didn't include Laaz Rockit, I almost did just for you but instead I put 'other' for any bands not listed.

SLAYER!!! Then comes Nuclear Assault, Sepultura , Annihilator, Testament, Metallica, I didn't see Laaz Rockit on there Anthrax, and Overkill.

No I didn't include Laaz Rockit, I almost did just for you but instead I put 'other' for any bands not listed.

Thanks Wes, your a helluva guy.

In their prime Metallica was untouchable, now nobody even wants to touch them. I hope their legacy lies with the 80's, because from the mid 90's to now they are a sad testament to one of the greatest bands ever. Like Queensryche, I hope and pray from one crappy release to another that they refind their touch.

In their prime Metallica was untouchable, now nobody even wants to touch them. I hope their legacy lies with the 80's, because from the mid 90's to now they are a sad testament to one of the greatest bands ever. Like Queensryche, I hope and pray from one crappy release to another that they refind their touch.

Amen to that. Metallica and Slayer RULED back in the 80's, then there was everyone else. Well I guess Megadeth came in a close 3rd.

Amen to that. Metallica and Slayer RULED back in the 80's, then there was everyone else. Well I guess Megadeth came in a close 3rd.

Anthrax was right there as well IMO.

• 1 month later...

My top 5 and I'm not a big fan of thrash.

1. Testament

2. Pantera

3. Slayer

4. Megadeth

5. Overkill

To say I am not a thrash/speed-metal fan would be an understatement. The only band on that list that also has a place in my collection is Metallica, so I gave them my vote.

As for Testament: "The Ritual"...I thought it was the best thing they ever released. :anon: See, I told you I'm not a true thrash fan.

My favorite Thrash Metal band would have to be Testament.

What they were able to do on there first 6 releases was amazing IMO.

I know there's many that didn't like "The Ritual" but even if you omit that one they released 5 killer cds in 7 years.

1. Testament

2. Megadeth

3. Metallica(1983-1991)

4. Pantera

5. Anthrax

Great great poll. Easy answer for me though:

TESTAFUCKINMENT!!!

This band has/had it all. It was close, I'm a big Megadeth fan too, and even Death Angel, but Testament are so complete. Great musicians with a great singer, craziest most intense band with still the best songs/songwriting in my opinion, which is what thrash is all about to me. Testament are what Metallica wishes they were, yeah I said that...just for some reason total mainstream didn't quite catch on say as much as Metallica, but I honestly think they were (hands down now too) better. Also, I'd say that The New Order by Testament is prob my favorite album of all time, in any genre, not to mention all of their albums are right up there. They have a very excellent catalogue and never a sellout, as Tim said, even their latest (The Gathering) is awesome. Here's my order:

1.) Testament

2.) Megadeth

3.) Pantera

4.) Death Angel

5.) Slayer

6.) Sepultura

7.) Anthrax

8.) Metallica

9.) Overkill

10.) Exodus

Oh! fuck, this is unbelievable????

VENOM

• 3 weeks later...
I'm with Martinsane on this one... even though I came very close to picking Metallica (strictly for sentimental reasons), I went with Overkill because they've always stuck to their guns, they never sold out, and are still kicking massive amounts of ass 20+ years after their debut!!

In short - Overkill Rulez. : :banger:

Yea I was THIS close to picking Metallica too, only for sentimental reasons though, cause the Metallica of today?? Is NOTHING like back in the 80s and early 90s..*chuckles*

So I went with Overkill too, cause they have NEVER sold out, never changed their sound, not after over 20 years plus?? That says something...*G*

• 1 month later...