Books

JustJason

I really enjoyed McCammon's "boys life"...good stuff:)

Yeah, that one sounds magnificent. Sadly it's not at my local library but I may even make a purchase.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that one sounds magnificent. Sadly it's not at my local library but I may even make a purchase.

It is a great read Geoff, you will enjoy it and it just so happens that back in my book collecting days I got that one signed, hardcover first edition of course, by Mr. McCammon himself.

Just starting to read Michael Crichton's Next...

It is a great read Geoff, you will enjoy it and it just so happens that back in my book collecting days I got that one signed, hardcover first edition of course, by Mr. McCammon himself.

I just started reading 'Mine' by Robert Mccammon today so if that does right by me I think I'll order 'Boys life'. It sounds appealing.

In regards to Straub's 'lost boy lost girl', it was pretty good. I thought it was leading up to something that'd just blow everything apart at the end, but it didn't. Just kind of ended without much of a fuss. I liked it and him, but don't feel the urgent need to immediately aquire more Peter Straub novels. I will try some of his others, though.

"Boy's Life" was a FANTASTIC book. I really need to re-acquire that one (as well as the rest of McCammon's stuff).

"Boy's Life" was a FANTASTIC book. I really need to re-acquire that one (as well as the rest of McCammon's stuff).

100 pages into 'Mine' and I'm digging it. I think I might like this guy.

I think I might like this guy.

Rumor has it that you've never met a guy you didn't like, if you catch my drift...

Please refrain from speaking with my customers. What they do in their private time is no one's business but mine.

I bought 'Boy's life' and 'Stinger' yesterday, by McCammon. I should have them in a week or so. :)

Everything aside, this is an amazing place to buy books from:

http://www.betterworld.com/index.aspx

Free shipping in the US and bargain shipping worldwide... I've bought my last dozen or so books from there - excellent place.

I bought 'Boy's life' and 'Stinger' yesterday, by McCammon. I should have them in a week or so. :)

"Stinger" was actually the very first McCammon book I read. Like all his work, it's really good, but my favorite of his was, is, and I suspect shall forever remain "Wolf's Hour." I devoured that book, it was so good.

Currently reading "Wildest Dreams" by Norman Partridge.

Everything aside, this is an amazing place to buy books from:

http://www.betterworld.com/index.aspx

Free shipping in the US and bargain shipping worldwide... I've bought my last dozen or so books from there - excellent place.

I buy lots of my stuff from Betterworld. Thriftbooks.com is also a good one.

I buy lots of my stuff from Betterworld. Thriftbooks.com is also a good one.

Wow... unbelievable prices at Thriftbooks, but it's completely murdered by $9.50 shipping to Australia... PLUS $9 for each additional book. :( I think that's why it's be impossible to compete with Betterworld. Who the hell could beat $2.97 worldwide shipping???

100 pages into 'Mine' by Richard McCammon and I'm digging it. I think I might like this guy.

Finished this one. I liked it. I like him as a writer. I guess my only critisism is that for whatever reason I found myself skimming a few pages towards the end of the novel. And I wasn't missing anything either. I was completely hooked in the first half of this novel, but the chase probably went on a bit longer than I'd have hoped (I HATE chase/pursuit types of books generally) but overall it was very good and I would very much like to get aquainted with his entire discography. Doesn't seem like there are many - Looking forward to 'Boys Life' and 'Stinger'.

Now reading:

James Herbert - 'Nobody True'

Crazy From The Heat-David Lee Roth

I got this from the library, DLR is a bit scattered in sequence of events and he rambles, but some funny stuff. Also reading a Jackie Collins, and a Jonathan Kellerman.

100 pages into 'Mine' by Richard McCammon...

Finished this one. I liked it. I like him as a writer....would very much like to get aquainted with his entire discography. Doesn't seem like there are many...

"Doesn't seem like there are many"?? Geoff, here's a list of all of McCammon's books:

Baal (not his greatest, but OK)

Bethany's Sin (a little formulaic, but still good)

The Night Boat (total gore-fest, but well-written)

They Thirst (McCammon's take on vampires)

Mystery Walk (one of his worst)

Usher's Passing (solid, but not his best)

Swan Song (his post-apocalypse tale...I like this better than King's "The Stand")

Stinger (excellent)

The Wolf's Hour (his masterpiece, in my opinion)

Blue World (short story collection)

Mine

Boy's Life (haven't read this one)

Gone South (not horror, per se, but a real page-turner)

Speaks the Nightbird (bought it, but haven't read it yet)

The Queen of Bedlam (sequel to "Speaks the Nightbird," but haven't read it)

As you can see, at 15 books, his bibliography isn't exactly "lean." Plenty there to keep you reading for awhile.

I just finished "Wildest Dreams" by Norman Partridge, a pretty cool book about a knife-wielding hitman who sees ghosts and comes up against a Satanic cult who believes one of his murdered victims will be the vessel by which the devil rises from Hell to walk the earth. Staccato prose, a cool antihero, lots of bloody violence and raw sex, and a few surprisingly touching moments. I enjoyed it.

Haven't decided what to read next.

100 pages into 'Mine' by Richard McCammon...

Finished this one. I liked it. I like him as a writer....would very much like to get aquainted with his entire discography. Doesn't seem like there are many...

"Doesn't seem like there are many"?? Geoff, here's a list of all of McCammon's books:

Baal (not his greatest, but OK)

Bethany's Sin (a little formulaic, but still good)

The Night Boat (total gore-fest, but well-written)

They Thirst (McCammon's take on vampires)

Mystery Walk (one of his worst)

Usher's Passing (solid, but not his best)

Swan Song (his post-apocalypse tale...I like this better than King's "The Stand")

Stinger (excellent)

The Wolf's Hour (his masterpiece, in my opinion)

Blue World (short story collection)

Mine

Boy's Life (haven't read this one)

Gone South (not horror, per se, but a real page-turner)

Speaks the Nightbird (bought it, but haven't read it yet)

The Queen of Bedlam (sequel to "Speaks the Nightbird," but haven't read it)

As you can see, at 15 books, his bibliography isn't exactly "lean." Plenty there to keep you reading for awhile.

I just finished "Wildest Dreams" by Norman Partridge, a pretty cool book about a knife-wielding hitman who sees ghosts and comes up against a Satanic cult who believes one of his murdered victims will be the vessel by which the devil rises from Hell to walk the earth. Staccato prose, a cool antihero, lots of bloody violence and raw sex, and a few surprisingly touching moments. I enjoyed it.

Haven't decided what to read next.

Yeah, I saw his discography on Wikipedia. There's a few books there, but it's easily managable. I guess I just meant it wasn't like a King, Laymon, Koontz etc. type list. :) I should be able to track down most of them, I dare say. :)

As for Norman Partridge, consider me interested. I'm going to check him out too. Thanks for the (unknowing) heads up. ;)

James Herbert - 'Nobody True'

The last review on the page for this book at Betterworld.com is 100% accurate. He gave it 2 stars out of 5 and the two stars were for the idea alone, not the actual writing.

The story is a cool concept - a dude get murdered (mutilated) while he's having an OBE (Out of Body Experience) and when his 'soul' comes back to his body he is dead and cannot re-enter, but his soul is still on earth and then proceeds to hang around and he finds out all these horrid things about the people he was closest too but can't do anything about it (or can he?). Credit where it's due, it's a very cool concept. However, this dude is such a slow, bland writer. I literally skimmed about half this book and did not miss a thing, story-wise. The worst bits were when in the middle of the story - or worse, at the end, after the "big final scene" - the narrator goes walkabout around the city, describing how he's feeling and how he goes to movie theatres and watches people and blah, blah, blah. He is so repetitive too. This story should have been half it's length and it would have been good. Great concept, poor execution, imo.

Anyway, I get my license back in 10 days exactly now, so I've saved the best for last. Now reading:

'The season of passage' - Christopher Pike

I read this over 10 years ago and whenever anyone asks me to this day what my favourite book is, this is my answer because of the impression it left on me. I hope it stands the test of time.

• 2 weeks later...
'The season of passage' - Christopher Pike

I read this over 10 years ago and whenever anyone asks me to this day what my favourite book is, this is my answer because of the impression it left on me. I hope it stands the test of time.

Of 150 reviews at Betterworld.com this book has somehow maintained a 5/5 stars / 100% average. So I guess that's saying something about it.

I don't know what it is about this book... as I said, I read it over 10 years ago and it impacted me then and I always referred to it as my all-time fave book. So I expected a lot from re-reading it and in that sense I guess it wasn't quite the impact of 10 years ago. I don't know if I was a really whussy kid, or I'm just a cold hearted man. Either way, I remember almost weeping at the end of this book when I was a kid. I didn't come close to weeping this time and a part of me even expected a little more from the end, but every afterthought I have of the book is one of excellence and sad delight. I don't know what it is about this book, but it is probably still my favourite work of fiction now.

Now reading:

'Usher's Passing' - Robert McCammon

I really hope this is good... I'm 46 pages into it and not really into it at all yet. I want to read something magnificent.

Boy that Crichton sure can write! Could not put this down and felt the same with the Jurassic Park series and others.

About 50 pages into L. Ron Hubbards Battlefield Earth and at over 1,000 pages I may be at this one a while. So far it is pretty engaging if you are into science fiction...