First Spin Impressions

JustJason

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash - S/T

I didn't expect much from this from the lineup and not usually loving these type of guitar player solo albums with multiple vocalists but I gotta say I actually enjoy most of this. I never gave Wolfmother a chance after all of their hype several years ago so wasn't looking forward to the first single "By the Sword" with Stockdale but I actually LOVE this song and the solo is great to. Being a big Myles Kennedy fan I love both of his tunes as well "Back to Cali" and "Starlight". My fav tune is probably the opener "Ghost" with Ian Astbury and Izzy. That should of been the first single IMO since it's damn catchy. "Crucify the Dead" with Ozzy is the best Ozzy related tune in some time and I see why it was supposed to be the first single. The Cornell tune "Promise" is good as well but is a little safe IMO and would of preferred if they could of done something heavier so we could hear a classic Cornell scream like early Soundgarden. The Fergie tune actually isn't to bad either and I don't hate it. The Lemmy tune "Doctor Alibi" is just average and could of been better. The instrumental with Grohl and Mckagan is pretty good but wish Slash would of taken Izzy, Duff and Steven Adler(he played on the jap bonus track) and had 4/5 of the original GNR on one song. The Rocco Deluca(who is this?) song is good but not great but the Adamn Levine(why is he on Slash's solo album?) is horrible and the Iggy song isn't that great either but I've never been a big Iggy fan. All in all an enjoyable disc but I wonder if it could of been better if Slash would of used some singers from back in the day that he used to play with but I guess the label wouldn't be interested in a disc featuring the likes of Tamie Down, Phil Lewis, Stephen Pearcy, Davy Vain, Joe Leste and guys from that era.

Slash - S/T

I didn't expect much from this from the lineup and not usually loving these type of guitar player solo albums with multiple vocalists but I gotta say I actually enjoy most of this. I never gave Wolfmother a chance after all of their hype several years ago so wasn't looking forward to the first single "By the Sword" with Stockdale but I actually LOVE this song and the solo is great to. Being a big Myles Kennedy fan I love both of his tunes as well "Back to Cali" and "Starlight". My fav tune is probably the opener "Ghost" with Ian Astbury and Izzy. That should of been the first single IMO since it's damn catchy. "Crucify the Dead" with Ozzy is the best Ozzy related tune in some time and I see why it was supposed to be the first single. The Cornell tune "Promise" is good as well but is a little safe IMO and would of preferred if they could of done something heavier so we could hear a classic Cornell scream like early Soundgarden. The Fergie tune actually isn't to bad either and I don't hate it. The Lemmy tune "Doctor Alibi" is just average and could of been better. The instrumental with Grohl and Mckagan is pretty good but wish Slash would of taken Izzy, Duff and Steven Adler(he played on the jap bonus track) and had 4/5 of the original GNR on one song. The Rocco Deluca(who is this?) song is good but not great but the Adamn Levine(why is he on Slash's solo album?) is horrible and the Iggy song isn't that great either but I've never been a big Iggy fan. All in all an enjoyable disc but I wonder if it could of been better if Slash would of used some singers from back in the day that he used to play with but I guess the label wouldn't be interested in a disc featuring the likes of Tamie Down, Phil Lewis, Stephen Pearcy, Davy Vain, Joe Leste and guys from that era.

Nice words mate and I pretty much agree with that, although I really like the Lemmy and Fergie tracks. I got the 'Slash Pack' version which also feature the Alice Cooper/Nicole Scherzinger (Pussycat Dolls fame :anon: ) tune which is pretty good aswell. I was quite surprised by how much I did enjoy this album to be honest, although my main grumble with the whole thing would be like other comments I have read, in that he should have made the album to suit him rather than songs that suited the vocalists. As you say, I would have much preffered him doing the Gunners style stuff with some of the vocalists you mention aswell as Ozzy Lemmy and Alice of course.

Hericane Alice - Tear The House Down

Probably because of the band name, I thought this was going to be sleazy rock, which if course it isn't. The first track sounded like unexciting, straight up rock and I wasn't impressed. Some of the later tracks sound much better, so it's looking up...

Hericane Alice - Tear The House Down

Probably because of the band name, I thought this was going to be sleazy rock, which if course it isn't. The first track sounded like unexciting, straight up rock and I wasn't impressed. Some of the later tracks sound much better, so it's looking up...

Just for the record, I've listened to this a few times now and it has grown on me a lot. 5 or 6 very good songs, 'Too Late' being my favourite. Good album.

White Wolf - Standing Alone

Really surprised by this one, sounds (at least) a million times better than 'Victim of the Spotlight', which I thought was really poor. Seem to be a few good tracks and some really nice guitar work. Keyboards are a little bit too dominant for my tastes at times, but that's just a very minor quibble. Hopefully this will get even better with more plays and not go the other way.

Ratt - INFESTATION

I used to be a big Ratt fan in my junior high/high school days but even then I'd lost interest by the time REACH FOR THE SKY (1988) came out. It was pretty obvious that they were just phoning it in by that album, and my tastes had moved on to heavier pastures anyway. So to be honest, my initial interest in a new RATT disc was probably somewhere around "zero" when it was first announced a few months back. However, when the new album was streaming on Ratt's site a couple of weeks prior to its release date I gave it a cursory listen and thought "Wow, that is DAMN good." Good enough that I broke down and bought the CD this past Saturday.

First spin thru, all of the usual RATT hallmarks are here - driving riff work (DeMartini is still tha sheeeeit!), blasting drums, killer bass work (Go Robbie Crane! Go Robbie Crane!)... musically the boys still have their sh*t together. I feared that Pearcy's voice would be the weak link cuz I've heard that he generally sounds "used up" in the live arena nowadays, but his vox on the album are solid...not quite as whiny as they were in the old days (which is a plus) and with a bit more 'tude/snarl.

Fave tracks thus far: "Eat Me Up Alive" (this should've been the first single, not the middling "Best of Me"), "Last Call" and "Lost Weekend," which rides atop a rumbling riff straight out of "Lack of Communication."

Carlos Cavazo is all but invisible. Seriously, if you didn't already know he was in the band you wouldn't be able to pick him out in any of the songs. I guess that means he's been assimilated. Either way, the guitar work (whether by DeMartini or Cavazo) is the best part of the disc, lotsa good ole school crunchy L.A. riffdom.

Very impressed thus far and looking forward to further spins...

Airbourne - NO GUTS, NO GLORY

Somewhere in the Great Beyond, Bon Scott is listening to this on headphones and saying "Bloody'ell, where's me f*ckin royalties, mates?"

Seriously though, if you've heard RUNNIN WILD then you know what to expect from this follow up - no frills, hard driving R-N-R with an overwhelmingly ridiculous AC/DC influence. Which is just fine by me. :beerbang: Hell, the "real" AC/DC only releases an album once every decade or so nowadays, I have no problem with these guys filling in the gaps in between...

X-Piracy - Dodge City Limts

....it seems to me that their just fucking off and not really taking it to seriously....

LOL...I look up out of my cubicle every day and think the same thing.

(then duck back down and continue working and listening to my tunes)

Charlotte - Medusa Groove

A nice bluesy hard rock/metal sound with plenty of swagger. Another solid addition to the Eonian Records catalog. My fav songs so far are the title track, "Little Devils", "Woman Behind the Eyes", "Siren" and "Miss Necrophilia". Not really any bad songs on this disc at all. I'm actually on my 3rd spin now and it's getting better and better. These guys kind of have a Lynch Mob vibe IMO.

Legacy - S/T

Usually Christian Metal isn't my thing(I do like Stryper and a few others) but when I read that these dudes sounded like Stryper meets Dokken I figured I'd take a leap of faith and pick it up. Overall a good disc and for those that like the above bands would probably enjoy this. The guitar solos are good and there's many standout tunes so far such as "Salvation is Law", "Forever In Your Arms", "Change of a Broken Heart" and "Soldiers Unite". The lyrics are a little preachy for my tastes but the music kicks butt.

Asia - Omega

I Always look forward to a new Asia record and this was no different after a few quite nice samples that have been knocking around for the last few weeks or so. 'Finger On The Trigger' is a re-done Wetton/Downes track from the excellent 'Icon II' disc, but apart from that, 11 all new tracks to peruse. First things first, if you don't like Asia and Wetton/Downes stuff in general then I don't expect this new album will change your mind one iota, so stear clear. If you do enjoy them, then although there are no real surprises on show, there are some really good songs on here, and it is also alot better than the previous 'Phoenix' disc, which although contained some nice tunes, was way too one paced and tame and after a few spins, lost a lot of it's impact quite rapidly. As with 'Phoenix', the slower/ mid paced paced stuff is still on show and there maybe on or two too many of them, but that aside, this is generally a pretty solid set throughout. Wetton sounds great as usual, Downes adds some lovely keyboard touches and there is definitley more fire in the belly on show than this time around. This is still nowhere near the glory days of the first trio of albums or even some of the excellent John Payne era stuff (Aria & Aura in particular) but it is a good disc all the same.

Crashdiet - Generation Wild

WOW - Big surprise this one. Always steared clear of this band for some reason, but after lots of positives, decided to take a punt on it. Certainly glad I did, as this is a fantastic sounding disc, with some really excellent songs on it, and not the weak sounding 'Cheeze Fest' I was expecting, like you get with alot of the sleaze bands (imo of course). I have read lots of Skid Row meets Def Leppard comparisons, which sound good to me, especially on some of the backing vocals which are absolutely spot on throughout. Love the songs too,opener 442/Armaggedon kicks your ass big time and 'Bound To Fall' is another highlight, although I will say there are no songs so far that I don't like. Sound is huge, songs are great, so nothing really negative to say about this at all - I even prefer it to the Crazy Lixx disc (which was also a pleasant surprise). Now to check out the previous 2 Crashdiet albums which I missed first time around.

Serpentine - A Touch Of Heaven

Firstly, I think I read a review saying something about this being the record Journey wish they had made or some such twaddle, which made me spit my coffee all over my monitor at the time and after now hearing the full album a good few times, makes me howl with laughter. On the otherside of things, some people are obviously put off with Tony Mills vox aswell reading reviews in various places, but I have never minded them to be honest and that certainly doesn't distract me one way or the other listening to this. This would have sounded alot better with a beefier sound to it, as it is very polite and lacks in the bottom end department. No big budget here I know, but no excuse for weak and feeble in my book. Negatives out of the way, there are a few nice tunes on here early on which I really enjoyed and just about make this a keeper, and I think the promise is there if another album were to ever appear (which I doubt to be honest), but on the downside again, it doesn't offer up anything remotely new to make it rise above the pile of average releases. Compared to some of the stuff coming out at the moment, this falls way way behind unfortunately.

WOW - Big surprise this one. Always steared clear of this band for some reason, but after lots of positives, decided to take a punt on it. Certainly glad I did, as this is a fantastic sounding disc, with some really excellent songs on it, and not the weak sounding 'Cheeze Fest' I was expecting, like you get with alot of the sleaze bands (imo of course). I have read lots of Skid Row meets Def Leppard comparisons, which sound good to me, especially on some of the backing vocals which are absolutely spot on throughout. Love the songs too,opener 442/Armaggedon kicks your ass big time and 'Bound To Fall' is another highlight, although I will say there are no songs so far that I don't like. Sound is huge, songs are great, so nothing really negative to say about this at all - I even prefer it to the Crazy Lixx disc (which was also a pleasant surprise). Now to check out the previous 2 Crashdiet albums which I missed first time around.

the debut Crashdiet is a must (there's nothing on the newie that can compare to 'Riot In Everyone' or 'Its a Miracle'....classics!)....the second album is good, but not quite up there. Overall the newie is on a par with the debut for me. Great band.

the debut Crashdiet is a must (there's nothing on the newie that can compare to 'Riot In Everyone' or 'Its a Miracle'....classics!)....the second album is good, but not quite up there. Overall the newie is on a par with the debut for me. Great band.

I feel the same way. Generation Wild is about on par with the debut and I might even admit that I like Simon's voice even better than Dave's. Either way it's way better than Unnatractive Revolution(which I like alot).

I feel the same way. Generation Wild is about on par with the debut and I might even admit that I like Simon's voice even better than Dave's. Either way it's way better than Unnatractive Revolution(which I like alot).

I said earlier that I thought that 'Generation wild' is their most consistent CD and I now add further to that statement and I'll say I actually prefer it to the debut. The debut is a classic, and the first 5 tracks and 'It's a miracle' are perfect. But there are a few tracks on that CD that are not so great. I love everything on 'Generation wild'. Even the weakest song, 'Native nature', is excellent, imo. The riffs in the verses blow me away.

Yeah,. I dunno, for me the new album is the best thing they've done, and that's coming from a HUGE fan of the debut, and even 'Unattractive Revolution' (which I also like a lot, minus the production job).

A nice bluesy hard rock/metal sound with plenty of swagger. Another solid addition to the Eonian Records catalog. My fav songs so far are the title track, "Little Devils", "Woman Behind the Eyes", "Siren" and "Miss Necrophilia". Not really any bad songs on this disc at all. I'm actually on my 3rd spin now and it's getting better and better. These guys kind of have a Lynch Mob vibe IMO.

Legacy - S/T

Usually Christian Metal isn't my thing(I do like Stryper and a few others) but when I read that these dudes sounded like Stryper meets Dokken I figured I'd take a leap of faith and pick it up. Overall a good disc and for those that like the above bands would probably enjoy this. The guitar solos are good and there's many standout tunes so far such as "Salvation is Law", "Forever In Your Arms", "Change of a Broken Heart" and "Soldiers Unite". The lyrics are a little preachy for my tastes but the music kicks butt.

I have to admit that I find the Charlotte one to be the weakest from Eonian so far. By pretty far. A few decent songs, but overall pretty average, imo.

Legacy sounds like a real suprise though. Let's be honest here. There really weren't many good christian hard rock bands from that era. In fact, you could name the really great ones on one hand (Stryper, Holy Soldier, The Brave [one album only], Bloodgood ['All stand together'], Mass and by now you're struggling to come up with names) so I want to know how the hell these guys got overlooked. This sounds really good to me. And even in my Satan loving ways I don't think it's too preachy at all to be honest. In fact, I think it's pretty tame lyrically. I think this'll be one of my faves from Eonian, no doubt.

Legacy - S/T

I have to admit that I find the Charlotte one to be the weakest from Eonian so far. By pretty far. A few decent songs, but overall pretty average, imo.

Legacy sounds like a real suprise though. Let's be honest here. There really weren't many good christian hard rock bands from that era. In fact, you could name the really great ones on one hand (Stryper, Holy Soldier, The Brave [one album only], Bloodgood ['All stand together'], Mass and by now you're struggling to come up with names) so I want to know how the hell these guys got overlooked. This sounds really good to me. And even in my Satan loving ways I don't think it's too preachy at all to be honest. In fact, I think it's pretty tame lyrically. I think this'll be one of my faves from Eonian, no doubt.

I can see the Charlotte not being your thing with the bluesier style but after a few spins I really like it alot. The Legacy I really like alot as well but I'm suprised you like it considering the lyrics but it's cool you do like it. I'm actually suprised with both of these bands that they never released anything back in the day considering how many bad bands did get record deals back then.

I know I am coming late to the party on this cd, but I can't and won't race right out and drop the $15-$20 on a new release, sorry, second hand for me all the way. I like to call it "buying green". Gotto save the enviro and all that...

Anywho, finally found/got that Chinese Democracy disc from Guns N' Roses and with all the hooplah, pre-releases, demo's delay's, etc, etc, etc...

The album kicks ass!!!

I know from numerous reveiws that a good number of the hard rock community hated this disc, but to me it is quite fantastic. Great production, musicianship and the song writing is very good. Tracks flow well, some rockers, some ballads, a little new sounding at times, but without losing the 80's hard rock feel.

I think that if many set the hype surrounding this disc aside and just appreciated the music this one would rank high on many play lists.

I think LEGACY would find it damn cool that a self-proclaimed heretic likes their music. :devilgrin::beerbang:

I know I am coming late to the party on this cd, but I can't and won't race right out and drop the $15-$20 on a new release, sorry, second hand for me all the way. I like to call it "buying green". Gotto save the enviro and all that...

Anywho, finally found/got that Chinese Democracy disc from Guns N' Roses and with all the hooplah, pre-releases, demo's delay's, etc, etc, etc...

The album kicks ass!!!

I know from numerous reveiws that a good number of the hard rock community hated this disc, but to me it is quite fantastic. Great production, musicianship and the song writing is very good. Tracks flow well, some rockers, some ballads, a little new sounding at times, but without losing the 80's hard rock feel.

I think that if many set the hype surrounding this disc aside and just appreciated the music this one would rank high on many play lists.

I think musically, vocally and lyrically it's very good but it's hard for me to see it as a Guns N Roses release. With that aside it is a very good disc.

The album kicks ass!!!

I think musically, vocally and lyrically it's very good but it's hard for me to see it as a Guns N Roses release. With that aside it is a very good disc.

I think most individual aspects of the album are fine, but I just didn't really find any songs that made me want to play the CD too often. I can't find many excuses to put it back in my player to be honest.

Spun a few for the first time over the weekend that have escaped me in the past:

Petra - 'Unseen power' ; Frustrating band. So much about them indicates they should be good, but they're just not. Songs range from the almost excellent 'I Need to Hear From You' (which reminds me of The Brave) and 'Destiny' (good opener) to the shocking shit like 'Ready, Willing and Able', 'Hand on My Heart' or 'Dance'. Aside from that you have some half decent songs, but I just really think that they plain and simply do not have the song writing talent to mix it with "proper" bands. Even 'I Need to Hear From You', which is the highlight, could so easily have been amazing with one or two tweaks in that chorus. But they just don't have that quality, imo. There were a few okay songs on this and a great sound, but I can't see myself holding onto it. Will spin it a few more times, though.

Saxon - 'Rock the nations' ; Well, looks like everyone was pretty spot on calling this a patchy affair. First 2 tracks are pointless, but I do like a few of the tunes like 'Waiting for the Night', 'We Came Here to Rock', 'You Ain't No Angel', 'Running Hot' and 'Empty promises'. Admittedly the rest is pretty much garbage, especially the absolutely dreadful 'Party Til You Puke' and endless boring closer 'Northern Lady', but there are enough cool tunes to make it a keeper.

Scorpions - 'Love at first sting' ; Man these guys were just painfully average. 'Bad Boys Running Wild' and 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' are good rocking openers, but enter the baron wasteland for the rest of the CD, with the very slight exception being the half okay closer, 'Still Loving You'. Oh, and 'Coming home' was pretty good too. But the rest is just average, average music. I don't hate it, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. These guys were average to below average at absolute best. Another one I'm not sure I'll keep.

Fugitive - 'In transit' ; YAWN! Man this sucked. Another band that is not awful and there was one good song on here (around track 4 or so) but otherwise this was just bland, lazy rock. I'd decided by about track 2 it would be straight on my trade list.

Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus

Really not sure to make of this, will persevere as always but really not what I expected.

Petra - 'Unseen power' ; Frustrating band. So much about them indicates they should be good, but they're just not. Songs range from the almost excellent 'I Need to Hear From You' (which reminds me of The Brave) and 'Destiny' (good opener) to the shocking shit like 'Ready, Willing and Able', 'Hand on My Heart' or 'Dance'. Aside from that you have some half decent songs, but I just really think that they plain and simply do not have the song writing talent to mix it with "proper" bands. Even 'I Need to Hear From You', which is the highlight, could so easily have been amazing with one or two tweaks in that chorus. But they just don't have that quality, imo. There were a few okay songs on this and a great sound, but I can't see myself holding onto it. Will spin it a few more times, though.

I keep that album purely because of "I Need to Hear From You" - great song. One their weaker albums overall though...

Scorpions - 'Love at first sting' ; Man these guys were just painfully average. 'Bad Boys Running Wild' and 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' are good rocking openers, but enter the baron wasteland for the rest of the CD, with the very slight exception being the half okay closer, 'Still Loving You'. Oh, and 'Coming home' was pretty good too. But the rest is just average, average music. I don't hate it, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. These guys were average to below average at absolute best. Another one I'm not sure I'll keep.

One of my favourite Scorps tunes back in the day! I was about 18 though.

Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus

Really not sure to make of this, will persevere as always but really not what I expected.

One of their best imo. Superb album.