Worst Band Member Change

Which band change did you hate the most because you felt it made the band worse than they were??  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing has pissed me off more than a band member change that wasn't for the better of the group. Any of these on your list of such changes??

I figured most people would go for Cherone, and I was tempted to, but Iron Maiden without Bruce was just putrid, so I had to place my vote there...

Yeah, I saw them with Blaze and it wasn't the same. :(

I don't think Cherone's addition actually made VH any weaker...I mean hell, he sounded so much like Sammy on some of the songs, it really wasn't much of a change vocally. I'd say that by that stage in the band's history, Eddie's drinking, and erratic personality combined with the fact that the fresh ideas for songs had just plain petered out are what actually weakened the band. Sammy just got thrown overboard off of a sinking ship...

I voted for Def Lep/Vivian ...we've seen/heard what a magical union this has been ever since he joined... <_<:P

Wether you love them or hate them.... It just ain't Quiet Riot without Kevin.

It just ain't Journey without Perry......case closed! lol

With Van Halen it is the song writing that sucked.....not the singer.

Neal Schon is an ass....they did to Steve what Styx did to DeYoung....although Gowan is a great replacement for Dennis.....

It was almost a tie between Cherone and Bailey, but I had to got with Cherone, since he is one of the worst singers I know of, while I adore Sammy Hagar. Not a good thing. Bailey is almost equally bad, but I never held Dickinson quite as high as Hagar, so...

I jumped when I saw the Kotzen alternative, but realized it's understandable. Only, the other way around. The utterly brilliant Kotzen in the supersuckadelic worthless twit-band Poison... Ooops, I guess some of you like them... Er... They were... ok? :P I saw a tv transfer of a concert once, and was rather impressed by their singer. He did a really good job, and here I was thinking he was no good... until he let go of the mike, and went clapping his hands on stage, and the really good singing kept on going... Of course, it was Kotzen singing! That explained it. When he quit singing, and Bret got at it, I was back at thinking he sucked!

Not my band, apparently!!

:9mm:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this band, Tuff (of all things...), came on tv and said they were inspired by Poison. Five minutes earlier I would have bet my right hand that I would never hear of such a thing. "Inspired by Poison..." Really, really bizarre. But I mean, if you like their kind of music, it makes perfect sense!?! Just not my cup of phlegm... :ahole:

Boy, talk about not mincing your words! LOL

As much as it pained me, I voted for Cherone/VH. Honestly, it should have been Campbell/DL (because of the general degredation in the quality of their output - I still like their music, but it's not even remotely up to their earlier par). But, I also know the crappiness of VH III and the ire it inspired in many, especially VH diehards, so, Gary got the vote. (And poor Pedro was left in the cold.)

As much as I would disagree, I can see how someone would vote for Augeri/Journey, though, I think Steve Augeri has done wonderfully as a replacement (as much as there could be one for a legend like Steve Perry.) I'll be anxiously awaiting Augeri/Journey release number 2 (not counting Red 13 here). It could be real good and cement a great replacement.

And Kotzen? That choice, while some will vote for it, is unbelievable. Kotzen certainly didn't lower the bar in that band. If anything, he raised it. Native Tongue is a phenomenal album! OK, I'll give you that it's not your father's Poison, but, still, a wonderful album nonetheless. Too bad all that crap went down with fiances, sluts, whores, fighting, bitch slapping, name calling, and general in fighting, cause I'd love to have seen where they would have gone with a follow up to NT.

Augeri sucks plain and simple....he sucked in Tyketto, and he sucked in Tall Stories....and now he and Neal are draining every last respect i have for the band called Journey....

you can listen to 3 samples off the new album at www.melodicrock.com

The only people that still like Journey are overweight housewives, who like to fantasize about Augeri's leather pants......

To Journey:

:2up:

Augeri sucks plain and simple....he sucked in Tyketto, and he sucked in Tall Stories....and now he and Neal are draining every last respect i have for the band called Journey....

you can listen to 3 samples off the new album at www.melodicrock.com

The only people that still like Journey are overweight housewives, who like to fantasize about Augeri's leather pants......

To Journey:

:2up:

Wow, thanks for calling me an overweight housewife! :lol: (I liked Tall Stories. Not a huge fan of his Tyketto work, though.)

Heaven forbid people actually have different tastes and like different things. "If it's not my cup of tea, dammit, it's just plain wrong."

Totally reeks of Freaky Freddie-ness, but, hey, whatever. I've been persecuted for my musical tastes before and I will be again. Obla di, obla da...........

Apparently, I too clean house and carry an ample girth. Before I get back to my dusting and powdered donuts, I just thought I'd add some more to the dubious replacement list.

Danger Danger- Ted Poley/Paul Laine

(The Ted years rocked!!)

Asia- John Wetton/John Payne

(As much as I like the albums with Payne, hearing the collaboration known as Wetton/Downes takes me right back to the beloved 1982-1990 era and it just sounds (for the first time in 15 years) like true Asia again!)

Judas Priest- Halford/Ripper

(The new album reinforced in me who's belongs at the front of JP.)

Toto- Joseph Williams/Jean Michael Byron

(Exit a classy Westcoast singer, enter a fruitcake. This was a bad move for Toto, because it made them sound like bloody Terrence Trent D'Arby. Good thing it lasted for only 4 songs.)

Did I mention fruitcake? mmmm... my overweight housewife radar has zeroed in on some fruitcake and once I put this vacuum down, I'll be on it like Jacko on a boy scout.

Later

koogles

hsf rules!!!!!!!!!

This is really fun! Augeri is brilliant and sings much better than Steve Perry does today. Not better than he did way back, but now.

Asia with Payne is fantastic. Asia with that Wetton bloke sucked big time. Childish, boring and void of any interesting features altogether, the songs were not helped by one of the most flat and unhappening voices ever emanating from the throat of men....

GOD, I LOVE THIS!!!

(Wetton can take it, 'cause most people prefer him, anyway. No hostility intended...)

So, hsf, you're saying that Poison actually released an album that didn't reek of a mix between roadkill and dead fish? I must check that out, then...

hsf rules!!!!!!!!!

This is really fun!  Augeri is brilliant and sings much better than Steve Perry does today. Not better than he did way back, but now.

Asia with Payne is fantastic. Asia with that Wetton bloke sucked big time. Childish, boring and void of any interesting features altogether, the songs were not helped by one of the most flat and unhappening voices ever emanating from the throat of men....

GOD, I LOVE THIS!!!

(Wetton can take it, 'cause most people prefer him, anyway. No hostility intended...)

So, hsf, you're saying that Poison actually released an album that didn't reek of a mix between roadkill and dead fish? I must check that out, then...

The album Poison did with Blues Saraceno entitled "Crack a Smile" is one such album. If you haven't, I would suggest checking it out. To me, it's their finest album.....and it RAWKS!

Def Leppard/Vivian Campbell

Skid Row/Johnny Solinger

Bon Jovi/Hugh McDonald

Ratt/Jizzy Pearl

Iron Maiden/Blaze Bayley

Van Halen/Gary Cherone

Journey/Steve Augieri

Poison/Richie Kotzen

Motley Crue/John Corabi

Quiet Riot/ Paul Shortino

Warrant/Rick Steier

OK....This was a hard choice because there's a few obvious ones. Vivian Campbel is believe is dragging the Lepps into their pussy sound these days

Johnny wasn't all that bad with the skids when he was using his own voice instead of trying to be Bach

Bon Jovi, I see no difference. They were shot long before Hugh joined

After seeing Jizzy with Ratt and seeing them with Stephen before that, I'd have to say that Jizzy sounded alot better with Ratt live than Pearcy ever did.

Iron Maiden IS BRUCE.......nuff said there

Van Halen made a piss poor choice in Cherone. He's an awesome frontman, but just not VH material

I think Augeri was a great choice for Journey

Ritchie is a good guitarist, but he really brough a different/unacceptiable sound to Poison and didn't fit them well at all. In fact, the only thing he fit was in Rocketts wife... :lol:

I've always liked Corabi's voice, but he also wasn't Motley material. The cd was good, but should have been titled with a different band name

Shortino wasn't a good goice for QR because his style of music and singing definately was a 180 from previous QR efforts. The cd was OK, but wasn't QR at all

Warrant took a turn with Ultraphobic, but I kinda liked that cd. Joey Allen was a great guitarist and fit well with Erik Turner, but Steier didn't for some reason. They really took a major shit with Belly To Belly. Maybe Jani was referring to his ever expanding waistline with that title? :loser:

Def Leppard/Vivian Campbell

Skid Row/Johnny Solinger

Bon Jovi/Hugh McDonald

Ratt/Jizzy Pearl

Iron Maiden/Blaze Bayley

Van Halen/Gary Cherone

Journey/Steve Augieri

Poison/Richie Kotzen

Motley Crue/John Corabi

Quiet Riot/ Paul Shortino

Warrant/Rick Steier

OK....This was a hard choice because there's a few obvious ones. Vivian Campbel is believe is dragging the Lepps into their pussy sound these days

Johnny wasn't all that bad with the skids when he was using his own voice instead of trying to be Bach

Bon Jovi, I see no difference. They were shot long before Hugh joined

After seeing Jizzy with Ratt and seeing them with Stephen before that, I'd have to say that Jizzy sounded alot better with Ratt live than Pearcy ever did.

Iron Maiden IS BRUCE.......nuff said there

Van Halen made a piss poor choice in Cherone. He's an awesome frontman, but just not VH material

I think Augeri was a great choice for Journey

Ritchie is a good guitarist, but he really brough a different/unacceptiable sound to Poison and didn't fit them well at all. In fact, the only thing he fit was in Rocketts wife... :lol:

I've always liked Corabi's voice, but he also wasn't Motley material. The cd was good, but should have been titled with a different band name

Shortino wasn't a good goice for QR because his style of music and singing definately was a 180 from previous QR efforts. The cd was OK, but wasn't QR at all

Warrant took a turn with Ultraphobic, but I kinda liked that cd. Joey Allen was a great guitarist and fit well with Erik Turner, but Steier didn't for some reason. They really took a major shit with Belly To Belly. Maybe Jani was referring to his ever expanding waistline with that title?  :loser:

Excellent insights, Mr. T Bone!

I figured most people would go for Cherone, and I was tempted to, but Iron Maiden without Bruce was just putrid, so I had to place my vote there...

I agree with Dan. If Hagar and Roth were never in VH, Cherone wouldn't been so bad. Maiden with Bayley was brutal to listen to.

hsf rules!!!!!!!!!

This is really fun!  Augeri is brilliant and sings much better than Steve Perry does today. Not better than he did way back, but now.

GOD, I LOVE THIS!!!

Thanks! If there had to be a replacement for Perry, you know it had to be Augeri or Hugo and Augeri has done remarkably well. Regardless of what you think of replacement players/singers, the original band just isn't good, no matter what, or that Steve Perry got dicked over by Neal Schon, Steve Augeri should be commended for his effort/performance. Not only in trying to win over fans, but in his efforts to stay true to what Journey always has been.

As far as Poison, I can't say much because I do like everything they've done (although they really hit a downhill slope with Hollywierd, in spite of some of it's good stuff). However, as JLP said, Crack A Smile is a good album, but Native Tongue is so different from typical Poison (which apparently might be cool for you). Richie brought incredible backing vox/harmonies and the songwriting is definitely touched up with more of the blues. Check out Native Tongue!

I agree with Dan. If Hagar and Roth were never in VH, Cherone wouldn't been so bad. Maiden with Bayley was brutal to listen to.

That's a pretty big "if". We'd have missed a lot. :(

LOL

Augeri, along with Cain's sappiness, have turned Journey into adult contemporary....

Hugo, or Kevin Chalfant would have been a better fit for Journey.....and Neak IS a dick....

Perry MADE that band, and they did him wrong....and just an FYI - it was NEVER Neal's band.....It was ALWAYS Herbie Herbert's band until they let him go.

Def Leppard/Vivian Campbell - I don't think Vivian ruined Def Leppard as I still enjoy their music, but one must wonder if he did affect the level of excellence. This one didn't phase me too much.

Skid Row/Johnny Solinger - This is one where the result was good and I was happy to see Skid Row back, but I'd be lying if I said anything other than that I would have LOVED to see Sebastian back. A shame, but not a music ruiner.

Bon Jovi/Hugh McDonald - I think Bon Jovi's recent discs would still have sucked regardless of who was playing bass.

Ratt/Jizzy Pearl - Yeah, pretty rotten. There is and only ever will be one voice for Ratt and this is just a silly choice, no offence to Jizzy. They should give it up without Mr Pearcy... unfortunately.

Iron Maiden/Blaze Bayley - Who knows?

Van Halen/Gary Cherone - I'm lucky because I think they suck no matter who is at the vocal helm, but what I heard of this CD did sound even worse than the norm, IMO of course.

Journey/Steve Augieri - I don't like Journey, but I MUCH prefer the albums I've heard with Steve on vocals.

Poison/Richie Kotzen - Yeah, hate to be a broken record, but he just didn't suit Poison. The songs were great, Richie's a great player (I guess) but I don't personally like his style and guitar sound at all and hate his vocals with a passion. Great album, not a wise choice in players. Blues Sarenceno (SP?) suited Poison well, but I didn't like the majority of the songs on 'Crack a smile'.

Motley Crue/John Corabi - Yeah, again to be a broken record not very Motley Crue-ish. Another great album, but like Ratt, there will only ever be one voice for Motley Crue.

Quiet Riot/ Paul Shortino - I like this album best of the Quiet Riot collection, though that ain't saying much. Good choice, good disc. No problems here.

Warrant/Rick Steier - He is associated with the decline of their sound and I missed Joey Allen immensley... so yeah, this one was a pretty big one too. And I hate to say it again, but there will only ever be one singer / song writer for Warrant and no Jani is a huge thing. But good luck to them and I look forward to the new disc. either way.

Cheers,

Geoff

Augeri, along with Cain's sappiness, have turned Journey into adult contemporary....

Hugo, or Kevin Chalfant would have been a better fit for Journey.....and Neak IS a dick....

Perry MADE that band, and they did him wrong....and just an FYI - it was NEVER Neal's band.....It was ALWAYS Herbie Herbert's band until they let him go.

I guess I just seperated the internal band conflict/politics from the music. If we didn't listen to/like a band's music because someone was a dick, would we ever listen to anything? :lol:

I'd forgotten about Kevin Chalfant. He would have had to have been in the running too, when looking for a replacement. But, again, I think Steve Augeri has done more than admirably in filling in for a legend (in Steve Perry).