Worst Band Member Change

Which band change did you hate the most because you felt it made the band worse than they were??  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hsf - I guess you are right.....Journey is just a sore spot with me.

ANYWAY....although a bit 'lite' for this board, no one has mentioned Chicago: the whole Terry Kath(granted he shot himself), Peter Cetera/Jason Scheff deal....I happen to like all three incarnations....As an FYI: Kath was Hendrix's hero.....often said Kath was better than him.

Another FYI: Singer of Mister Mister was the original replacement for Cetera; he declined.

Mitch Malloy was going to be in VH.....that would have been awesome.

What about the whole Gabriel/Collins thing with Genesis....I know they are/were a prog band, but I think it fits. Personally, I thought Gabriel stunk. Trying too hard to be a Bowie clone....With all his artsy-fartsy music, dressing up like sunflowers......Collins was the man. Doesn't get alot of play with people, but is probably in my top 5 of all-time drummers.

How about the whole Kelly Hansen/Foreigner deal now? This sounds a bit interesting....no?

And what was Boston thinking having a female singer on the new Cd? Please Brad, Barry, Fran - say it ain't so!

Didn't Sib's 'fro just freakin' rock?!

Excellent responses so far! Just in case anyone was wondering...I picked Vivian Campbell.

I felt sorry for Blaze,leaving Wolfsbane when he did.They could have done something.As for Maiden,they seemed just to be in limbo-land when he joined.Unfortunate all round !!!!

And what was Boston thinking having a female singer on the new Cd?  Please Brad, Barry, Fran - say it ain't so!

OMG! I'd never heard that they were contemplating that! They'd better change "Boston" to "somebody and Boston" or something. Cause if they rip someone off like that, it'd be a shame.

**shivers**

BTW, SM, I understand the sorespot thing. I was that way for a while w/ Poison & Richie Kotzen. But, I always go back to a quote I read when I was preparing to go to my first concert, Def Leppard/Adrenalize. Joe Elliot, when asked about something, said (talking about Bono) said "that's good for him, but we just don't do that. We're not out with political messages or trying to save the rainforest. Our music is all about escapism." That always stuck with me. Music should be about good times (I know, ballads, the songs that take you back to a break up, and all that crap, but, in general.)

Anyway, I'm done :rant: now.

And what was Boston thinking having a female singer on the new Cd?  Please Brad, Barry, Fran - say it ain't so!

OMG! I'd never heard that they were contemplating that! They'd better change "Boston" to "somebody and Boston" or something. Cause if they rip someone off like that, it'd be a shame.

**shivers**

I think they already did that on the 2002 release of "Corporate America". Her name is Kimberly Dahme. She's GORGEOUS.....and sings very well too.

http://starfileonline.com/enlarge.asp?PhotoID=28423

But yeah.....that's just not 'BOSTON'.

Most of the bands listed were already on the downside of their careers when the personnel changes were made (Ratt/Jizzy Pearl, Quiet Riot/ Paul Shortino, Warrant/Rick Steier, Skid Row/Johnny Solinger) so I don't think they can be considered the worst.

Def Leppard/Vivian Campbell - I agree that they have sucked ever since Hysteria but for some reason I just don't think it's all Vivian's fault.

Skid Row/Johnny Solinger - most people didn't even notice at this point. Even if Sebastien was still in the band the album would have flopped.

Bon Jovi/Hugh McDonald - as long as Jon and Richie are in the band they will still be Bon Jovi.

Crue/Corabi - If this album were released with a different band name it would have been huge. This is one heavy album.

VH/Cherone - Let me start by admitting I'm a huge Extreme fan and I happen to like this album. Granted, it's no VH1, 1984, or 5150 but VH had no chance after replacing Sammy. Only DLR would have worked. It's tough enough to change singers once and keep your fanbase. Has it ever happened twice???

My vote is for Poison/Richie Kotzen. Poison is a get hammered, play out of tune, party band. In other words, Poison is CC DeVille. Richie Kotzen, while a fine player, totally destroyed that vibe. It would be comparable to throwing Steve Vai in the Ramones IMHO.

Ok, now I'm off to listen to VH3 in my IPod.

My vote is for Poison/Richie Kotzen.  Poison is a get hammered, play out of tune, party band.  In other words, Poison is CC DeVille.  Richie Kotzen, while a fine player, totally destroyed that vibe.  It would be comparable to throwing Steve Vai in the Ramones IMHO.

Very apt description of Poison. (Which I think is why we all like them in the first place.) But, Native Tongue is a great album. Maybe it's not "Poison" music how we'd like to think of it, but it's a great album nonetheless.

VH III--- The whole problem with this album is that Eddie tried to make Gary sing in the key Eddie was playing in. If the band was smart they would have played the music so Gary could show off his awesome voice. I have seen it happen before, great singer goes to a band and the band expects him to change the way he sings. Why hire him in the first place. Gary has a great voice, too bad Eddie didn't let it show.

Journey/Steve Augieri - I don't like Journey, but I MUCH prefer the albums I've heard with Steve on vocals.

Ummmmm....isn't that, like, EVERY Journey album?

:P

LOL. :fun_84: Very true indeed. :loser: Just shows how much I care about 'em hey...

What I meant to say was that I much prefer the Augeri albums.

Cheers,

Geoff

Cherone... But it's not just his vocals, it's the songs as well... It's just a bad album and they happened to have a new singer at the time, so Cherone gets bashed for it, but I'm sure it's not all his fault...

And some of the changes weren't that bad imo. Corabi did a good job with MC, not the sound we were used to, but he is a good singer and some of the tunes just kick ass. Richie Kotzen in Poison wasn't bad (hell, they finally had a guitarplayer that could actually play) and I really like Native Tongue.

I really like Native Tongue.

Good to hear there's more fans out there than I thought!

Me too, and I really dig the Crue with Corabi. Once you get past the fact that it sounds nothing like Crue with Vince, it's a damn solid slab o' rock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

I went with Van Halen on this one :lame: I hated VH III. I know its not all Cherone's fault. He was just the singer, not the song writer. He just didn't fit in with this band though. I almost picked Def Leppard. Vivian just doesn't bring to the band what Steve Clark did. Don't get me wrong he's a great guitarist and played with some awesome bands. He just took a little bit away from my favorite band in the world. :angryfire:

I went for Iron Maiden. It's either Bruce or Paul, period.

Same with VH, is either Sammy or Dave, period.

I guess Molly Hatchet has so few original members they are in a class by themselves!

Viv should have given new life to the Leps, but instead...well I think my feelings about Dead Leppard have been clear from the start.

:hammer:

• 1 year later...

I voted for Skid Row & Johnny Solinger! Sebastian Bach IS Skid Row!

But, after I voted, I noticed Gary Cherone for Van Halen!!! I would have voted for him if I noticed it!

Blaze Bayley replacing Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden was one of THE WORST personnel decisions in rock music history, hands down.

To this day whenever I listen to the X FACTOR or VIRTUAL XI discs I shake my head and wonder what the heck Steve Harris was thinking when he hired that guy.

I'll go with Bayley/Iron Maiden.

While I don't love the Van Halen III release I don't blame Cherone for it not being a great album, I blame Eddie Van Halen since he wrote the music. I felt and still feel that Cherone was the perfect combo of Roth and Hagar.

• 1 year later...