Hugo's Voyage - Inception

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder when this will be officially announced?  Nothing on Frontiers, Voyage, Hugo Valenti or Greg Smith's social media pages.

I'm very intrigued with this!  Been a long time since Hugo released anything new (besides that album of poor quality Valentine rough demo's...)

I'm sure I read somewhere that the guitarist from Sunshine Jive is the guitarist in Voyage too?

• 1 month later...

From Frontiers:

Hailing from New York and Boston, Hugo’s VOYAGE is a dynamic AOR rock band with soaring melodies and anthemic soundscapes. With their irresistible blend of powerful vocals, melodic keyboards, hard-hitting guitars and captivating lyrics, they evoke a nostalgic spirit reminiscent of the legendary band, Journey. No surprise as Hugo’s VOYAGE was formed in 2005 as a Journey tribute band and have been the most successful touring Journey tribute band in the US, attracting a dedicated following of fans who are deeply moved by the music.  

Featuring former Valentine and Open Skyz singer Hugo, Robby Hoffman (guitar), Greg Smith (bass), Dana Spellman (drums) and Lance Millard (keyboards)— Hugo’s VOYAGE have now set out on a musical journey of their own, crafting a signature sound of original music on their debut album ‘Inception’ that pays homage to their influences while carving out a unique and vibrant identity.

Hugo’s voice, with its incredible range, captivating tone, and unparalleled emotional depth, has the ability to translate personal experiences into timeless melodies and lyrics. ‘Inception’ is a testament to his songwriting prowess and his commitment to creating music that resonates with all people. The compositions explore universal themes of love, hope, loss and self-discovery, accompanied by infectious melodies that linger in the minds of listeners long after the final note fades away.

From epic ballads such as “In My Heart” that make hearts swell with emotion to high-octane rockers such as “I’ll Be Around” that can ignite a stadium, the songs possess an uncanny ability to transport audiences to another time and place. 

Robby’s guitar playing effortlessly conjures up iconic riffs and blistering solos, creating a magical synergy with the pulsating rhythm section that fuels the band's relentless energy and infectious melodies.

While their sound may evoke nostalgia for the golden era of rock, Hugo’s VOYAGE have redefined the boundaries of classic rock, infusing their music with a contemporary edge and a fresh perspective that sets them apart from their peers. Their music possesses a timeless quality, bridging generations and proving that great rock music transcends time.

Get ready to embark on a thrilling sonic adventure with Hugo’s VOYAGE as they remind you why the power of music is truly unparalleled.

Tracklisting:
1. INCEPTION (instrumental)
2. CRAZY WHAT LOVE CAN DO
3. DON'T WANNA LIVE WITHOUT YOUR LOVE
4. SOUND OF A BROKEN HEART
5. GOIN' AWAY
6. A FRIEND LIKE YOU
7. HOW MANY TIMES
8. I'LL BE AROUND
9. IN MY HEART
10. SEPTEMBER LOVE
11. THE VOYAGE
12. WHEN HEAVEN MAKES AN ANGEL

Line-up:
Hugo Valenti – Vocals
Robby Hoffman – Guitars
Lance Millard – Keyboards
Greg Smith – Bass
Dana Spellman - Drums

Additional Musicians:
Steve Ferlazzo – Keyboards
Ray Herrmann: Saxophone

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Wahey!  Glad to see this.  I love Hugo Valenti's stuff, I'm sure this will be no different.

As long as the production is nothing like Hugo 3: Fire In The Night...

Robby Hoffman and Steve Ferlazzo are from Sunshine Jive (fka In The Pink) and Robby currently manages Extreme, so it should sound great.

Edited by EnJayKay

Pretty solid tune. I've always found his voice just to be that little bit too "sickly sweet," for lack of a better term, but I could get into that new song and hope he's got a good collection of songs to sing on so we can enjoy this one. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love this album. About as close to classic Journey as you'll hear.

But the songs stand up in their own right.

Million times better than the last Journey album, production is amazing, Hugo sounds great. 

How Many Times > I'll be around is magnificent, like classic era.

• Like 3

About the liveliest DOA project I've ever heard. :P

I wasn't expecting much, and it really wasn't on my radar, but this is one good slice of Journey. The mix/production sounds good to these aging ears too.

And no ADV anywhere in sight (or sound)! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess it'd be weird for everyone to pile on with a similar opinion, so consider this the other side of the coin. 

I don't like it one bit. Genuinely, just not at all. And not in a "I don't like Journey anyway" kind of way. I actually don't think comparing this to Journey is a compliment. Like anyone, I listen to some light stuff but when something is this soft and gentle the songs need to carry the shit out of it for me to be interested. And unfortunately, for me, they do not. 

I guess his direct peer these days would be someone like Michael Bolton and if I'm playing those side by side, I'd take the new Bolton album over this. Though I'd prefer neither, lol. But at least 'Eyes on you' is a nice song. I didn't like any song on this Hugo album. 'Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love' is the best of the bunch, imo, but in the fullness of time my description of it as a "pretty solid tune" above is about the most I could throw at this one.   

S'ok Geoff. You're allowed to be completely and utterly WRONG.

Better than the last Journey album (then again so is the recent Revolution Saints effort), which bored me to tears. Also, the production/mix is better than the last Journey album.

Gimme this and Rev Saints over Journey right now any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I actually like that last Revolution Saints album, for some seemingly unknown reason. Not to me - it just sounds nice. But everyone else seems to hate it so much. I like it. 

I was racking my mind to remember what the last Journey album was. Got it now. Yeah, that was shit, but again, there were at least a couple of decent songs on it. Something I can't say for this Hugo album. 

And does the production/mix really matter that much when you substitute your drum sticks and guitar picks for feathers? ;)

I know, I know. One one of the things I hate most of any critique is someone chiming in saying how they hate something because they're so metal and what they hate is too soft. I hate hearing that line of critique when the album in your hands is full of killer cuts, even if they are very lite. 

The problem in this case, though, is that is as lite as a feather dropping onto a pillow, plus it has those super sickly sweet vocals and, most of all, the songs are just super sappy and really weak to me.

BUT!!! To each their own. I'm obviously alone on this one and that's cool. I'm glad y'all dig but it's not for me. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 11/11/2023 at 1:53 PM, Glen said:

I love this album. About as close to classic Journey as you'll hear.

But the songs stand up in their own right.

Million times better than the last Journey album, production is amazing, Hugo sounds great. 

How Many Times > I'll be around is magnificent, like classic era.

Agree 100% mate, and this is the best Journey album since ROR.

• Like 1