Issa - Lights Of Japan

Stefan

10 hours ago, Jez said:

I really don't think she is that bad tbh ...'Crossfire' especially was a terrific album. 

It was. But it had great songwriting and producing. Something we can't say of anything released under her name since then.

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.dae27b6de76f72c844c609c6e24ff056.png

New video for 'Lights Of Japan'.

From Frontiers:

Norwegian melodic rock queen ISSA is back with her seventh studio album, “Lights Of Japan” on January 20, 2023.

A ‘rebirth’ of sorts, fans can expect to hear a revitalized and inspired artist who is evolving her sound, while also staying true to her roots. That being said, sonically, this latest album from ISSA lands somewhere between her revered debut album “Signs of Angels” and 2018's well received “Run With The Pack”, which makes "Lights Of Japan" one of the talented singer's absolute best albums thus far.

As fans have come to expect with this absolutely fabulous vocalist, "Lights Of Japan" is a truly gorgeous slab of melodic rock majesty. Huge vocals? Check. Soaring, beautiful melodies? Check. Hooks galore? Check.

For "Lights Of Japan", Issa worked with producer Michele Guaitoli, who has produced albums by Visions Of Atlantis, Kalidia, SheWolf, and many more, and is also the vocalist for Visions Of Atlantis, Temperance, and ERA. Guaitoli also played guitars and bass on the album as well as contributing to the songwriting on two tracks. For the bulk of the album's songwriting, Issa's husband James Martin and his brother Tom, both former members of UK melodic rockers VEGA, contributed their immense talents.

ISSA’s musical growth over the years has been tremendous to hear and watch and fans will reap the rewards with “Lights Of Japan,” another gem in her crown."Lights Of Japan"

Tracklisting:
1. Live Again
2. Lights Of Japan
3. Seize The Day
4. Stop The Rain
5. Moon Of Love
6. Chains Of Love
7. Fight To Survive
8. It's Over
9. I'll Give You My Heart
10. Shadow To The Light
11. I'll Be Waiting

Line-Up:
Issa Oversveen - Vocals
Michele Guaitoli - Guitars, Bass
Marco Pastorino - Rhythm guitar
James Martin - Keyboards
Marco Andreetto - Drums

Giovanni Barbetta - Saxophone in 'Moon Of Love'
Guitar solos for Live Again, Lights Of Japan, Fight To Survive, It’s Over, Seize The Day by Robby Luckets
Guitar solos for Stop The Rain, Chains, Shadow To The Light, I’ll Be Waiting by Michele Guaitoli
Guitar solo for I’ll Give You My Heart by John Mitchell

Edited by Stefan

12 minutes ago, Stefan said:

For the bulk of the album's songwriting, Issa's husband James Martin and his brother Tom, both former members of UK melodic rockers VEGA, contributed their immense talents.

I was wondering if this was the case. Both songs sound very nice.

BUT, both former members of Vega? What? When did that happen? Have Vega broken up, or have these guys just left the band? Either way, probably same end result anyway. What a bummer. 

14 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I was wondering if this was the case. Both songs sound very nice.

BUT, both former members of Vega? What? When did that happen? Have Vega broken up, or have these guys just left the band? Either way, probably same end result anyway. What a bummer. 

they've gone but I think they intended to still contribute songs, just not play / tour.

Singer wrote the lyrics I think 

• My Little Pony
On 10/13/2022 at 4:55 AM, Stefan said:

More groundbreaking details (i.e. ADV handling everything) to come...

Or not?

5 minutes ago, Glen said:

they've gone but I think they intended to still contribute songs, just not play / tour.

Singer wrote the lyrics I think 

Wow, massive news. I guess the main thing, for me, is that they still contribute to the songwriting. Workman is excellent, but the combination is what made Vega Vega. Otherwise, essentially, I guess it’d just be like Kick again. Which was still pretty cool anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Wow, that line “to really find my feelings” almost murdered me where I stood. Otherwise, it’s a cool song. But yeah, some really questionable lyrics. And kind of muddy production. :( 

• My Little Pony
10 hours ago, Geoff said:

Wow, that line “to really find my feelings” almost murdered me where I stood. Otherwise, it’s a cool song. But yeah, some really questionable lyrics. And kind of muddy production. :( 

Haha. Even more worrisome when it's been written by your boy James Martin. 

18 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Haha. Even more worrisome when it's been written by your boy James Martin. 

Yeah, I did wonder if he’d actually written this tune. Is it a known thing, or assumption? In writing the “bulk of the material” I’m going to assume the lyrics for this one are not part of that bulk? Guess we’ll know soon enough. 

• My Little Pony
6 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I did wonder if he’d actually written this tune. Is it a known thing, or assumption? In writing the “bulk of the material” I’m going to assume the lyrics for this one are not part of that bulk? Guess we’ll know soon enough. 

He's credited on the Spotifies. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Decent album, better than her last two but that's not saying much at all. Unfortunately it falls off in the second half and there just aren't many memorable songs on it. Favorites are Live Again, the title track, Chains of Love, and It's Over.

Was really hoping for Crossfire 2 but I guess that's on me for setting my expectations too high.