Australian (Not) Open for Djokovic

nyoilers

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'm not going to get stuck into someone for having the balls to do what many of us wish we could have done.

I agree 100%, but I would've had more respect for the guy if he had of said, "Okay Australia, if that's your policy, I won't be attending and you won't have the World's No.1 tennis player at your event".

It would have made our Government look even more fucking ridiculous than it already does.

I'm not justifying the circumstances, but I know people who have made the same stand and have had to make sacrifices. This guy wants to have his cake and eat it too.

When Ali made his stand against against Vietnam he said he thought it was morally wrong, stood up for his principles, refused to go and was banned from boxing as a result. He didn't try to wriggle out of it with a medical exemption. 

As I said earlier, I think it's a bit rich to make a stand against something and then proceed to try and slip in through the back door with an exemption. 

When it comes to the Australian Government or Djokovic, I don't have much respect for either parties TBH.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I agree 100%, but I would've had more respect for the guy if he had of said, "Okay Australia, if that's your policy, I won't be attending and you won't have the World's No.1 tennis player at your event".

It would have made our Government look even more fucking ridiculous than it already does.

I'm not justifying the circumstances, but I know people who have made the same stand and have had to make sacrifices. This guy wants to have his cake and eat it too.

When Ali made his stand against against Vietnam he said he thought it was morally wrong, stood up for his principles, refused to go and was banned from boxing as a result. He didn't try to wriggle out of it with a medical exemption. 

As I said earlier, I think it's a bit rich to make a stand against something and then proceed to try and slip in through the back door with an exemption. 

When it comes to the Australian Government or Djokovic, I don't have much respect for either parties TBH.

I see what you're saying but the over-riding point here is still being lost. I think resentment for Djokovic himself is clouding this story vigorously. 

Let's say it's Kokk Inmyass from Romania who wants to come here and play tennis. He has $40 to his name and just wants to play the Aussie Open to make his parents proud. He's unvaccinated, but he had covid before and he's in a country where over 90% of the people are vaccinated and it's leaders have lied, I mean, said to their prisoners, I mean citizens that we're going to need to live with covid. 

Two weeks ago, before exactly what everyone knew would happen happened and the country panicked more than it ever has because what we all knew would happen actually did happen, you could walk into a crowded shopping centre, unvaccinated, and that was meant to be okay and a sign of us getting on with life. Until the panic stricken fuckers shut it all down again. 

But my point is how idiotically pathetic this all is. Why is it an issue for anyone if unvaccinated Kokk Inmyass wants to play tennis with the same people he's been playing tennis with all year in countries that allow things to happen? What is the actual stripped back all bullshit aside problem? What is everyone so scared of? 

And in giving Kokk Inmyass' exclusion the green light, what are you all okaying? Right now, at this minute, is the lowest amount of covid cases there will ever be in Australia again. For anyone who missed this two years ago, it's not going anywhere. We all got vaccinated and there's nothing more we can actually do, is there? So, if you don't let Kokk Inmyass play tennis in Australia now, you're saying that no one who is unvaccinated should and will ever be allowed into Australia again? Because it won't get better than this. And if people think it will, what is this next new special thing everyone is holding out for? Or is everyone just resigned to the fact that this is how the rest of our lives look and they're okay with it? 

But there's a point within a point there. So if we deny Djokovic now, or Inmyass, are we saying that they should never be allowed into Australia ever again? And if we're not saying that, when will it be okay to enter Australia, if they remain unvaccinated, and why is it okay at that point and not now? 

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

he's now saying he's had COVID? Why didn't he just say that in the first place. 🤔 

Because it was the most publicised story on the entire planet when it happened and everyone already knows it. I don't watch the news and know this, so it can't have escaped anyone. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
35 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I see what you're saying but the over-riding point here is still being lost. I think resentment for Djokovic himself is clouding this story vigorously. 

Let's say it's Kokk Inmyass from Romania who wants to come here and play tennis. He has $40 to his name and just wants to play the Aussie Open to make his parents proud. He's unvaccinated, but he had covid before and he's in a country where over 90% of the people are vaccinated and it's leaders have lied, I mean, said to their prisoners, I mean citizens that we're going to need to live with covid. 

Two weeks ago, before exactly what everyone knew would happen happened and the country panicked more than it ever has because what we all knew would happen actually did happen, you could walk into a crowded shopping centre, unvaccinated, and that was meant to be okay and a sign of us getting on with life. Until the panic stricken fuckers shut it all down again. 

But my point is how idiotically pathetic this all is. Why is it an issue for anyone if unvaccinated Kokk Inmyass wants to play tennis with the same people he's been playing tennis with all year in countries that allow things to happen? What is the actual stripped back all bullshit aside problem? What is everyone so scared of? 

And in giving Kokk Inmyass' exclusion the green light, what are you all okaying? Right now, at this minute, is the lowest amount of covid cases there will ever be in Australia again. For anyone who missed this two years ago, it's not going anywhere. We all got vaccinated and there's nothing more we can actually do, is there? So, if you don't let Kokk Inmyass play tennis in Australia now, you're saying that no one who is unvaccinated should and will ever be allowed into Australia again? Because it won't get better than this. And if people think it will, what is this next new special thing everyone is holding out for? Or is everyone just resigned to the fact that this is how the rest of our lives look and they're okay with it? 

But there's a point within a point there. So if we deny Djokovic now, or Inmyass, are we saying that they should never be allowed into Australia ever again? And if we're not saying that, when will it be okay to enter Australia, if they remain unvaccinated, and why is it okay at that point and not now? 

Because it was the most publicised story on the entire planet when it happened and everyone already knows it. I don't watch the news and know this, so it can't have escaped anyone. 

Yeah, everything you're saying is right and I'm embarrassed by the coverage we're getting internationally. 

It's a bit biased using that Romanian player as an example though.

We all know how much you love Kokk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol soon enough everyone will have had covid when it's 100k+ infections per day in Australia. We should all be on our knees thanking this mild omricon which may kill off this pandemic within a few months. It is fantastic! Then we can vote out all these fuckers who stole 3 years of our full freedom. Then we will all be able to travel the world playing tennis.

5 hours ago, auslander said:

Lol soon enough everyone will have had covid when it's 100k+ infections per day in Australia. We should all be on our knees thanking this mild omricon which may kill off this pandemic within a few months. It is fantastic! Then we can vote out all these fuckers who stole 3 years of our full freedom. Then we will all be able to travel the world playing tennis.

Haha, if only it was going to pan out that way. You can bet the underside of your scrotum it won't, though. I guarantee our lives will still be shit by the end of this year going into the next one. Whether it's the next variant, or just the ongoing ridiculously irrational response to current ones, I still can't see even a flicker of an end to it in sight. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's what Nadal said :

The ignominy of Novak Djokovic’s attempt to enter Australia to pursue a record 21st grand slam singles title was driven home on Thursday when Rafael Nadal responded to the world No 1’s visa cancellation by stressing the necessity of being vaccinated against Covid.

After spending his first night in Australia at the airport being interrogated by border officials, Djokovic spent the second in a quarantine hotel awaiting a visa appeal hearing on Monday. It followed an extraordinary day of rolling developments, with the Serbian player at the centre of a diplomatic and political furore over the validity of his medical exemption from Covid-19 vaccination.

Nadal, however, saw it in simpler terms. Speaking after he successfully returned to competition for the first time since August with a straight sets win over Ricardas Berankis of Lithuania, he reiterated that the clearest way to ensure participation in Melbourne was through embracing vaccination and that Djokovic had known the conditions for many months.

“The only thing that I can say is I believe in what the people who know about medicine say, and if the people say that we need to get vaccinated, we need to get the vaccine. That’s my point of view,” said Nadal.

He continued: “I went through the Covid. I have been vaccinated twice. If you do this, you don’t have any problem playing here. That’s the only clear thing. The rest of the things, I don’t want to have or to give to you an opinion that I don’t have the whole information. The only clear thing for me is if you are vaccinated, you can play in the Australian Open and everywhere, and the world in my opinion has been suffering enough to not follow the rules.”

Advertisement
United Airlines promises sustainable flying – but experts aren’t convincedHold the beef: McDonald’s avoids the bold step it must take to cut emissionsFrosts, heatwaves and wildfires: the climate crisis is hitting the wine industry hardCan the tourism industry survive the climate crisis?Data storage, mining and wind: oceans seen as new frontier but at what cost?

Nadal was asked if he felt sorry for Djokovic given the torrid situation his rival is now in, but the Spaniard’s response indicated that his sympathy was limited. Nadal said that decisions come with consequences, as has been the case for Djokovic after his decision to fly to Melbourne despite being unvaccinated.

“I think if he wanted, he would be playing here in Australia without a problem. He made his own decisions, and everybody is free to take their own decisions, but then there are some consequences. Of course I don’t like the situation that is happening. In some way I feel sorry for him. But at the same time he knew the conditions since a lot of months ago, so he makes his own decision.”

• 2023 Gold Donors
7 hours ago, Geoff said:

I guarantee our lives will still be shit by the end of this year going into the next one. Whether it's the next variant, or just the ongoing ridiculously irrational response to current ones, I still can't see even a flicker of an end to it in sight. 

Yep,until the politicians down in Australia start swinging from bridges - they will forever have their boot on your necks...sadly.

So apparently he is a health risk, when already Omricon is rampant in Melbourne. And he is a risk to society cause hitting tennis balls will inspire an insurrection or something.

To be fair, we set rules (rightly or wrongly) that you need to be double vaxxed to come to Australia.
Certainly not the only country with that rule.
Add to that he has been out and about while covid positive before, and also that he admitted to lies on his visa application, and there is no way he'd make it in if he was any regular guy.
Pretty sure 99% of Australian's are happy to see rules apply to everyone and are would be happy to see him on a plane home.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
12 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

To be fair, we set rules (rightly or wrongly) that you need to be double vaxxed to come to Australia.
Add to that he has been out and about while covid positive before, and also that he admitted to lies on his visa application, and there is no way he'd make it in if he was any regular guy.
Pretty sure 99% of Australian's are happy to see rules apply to everyone and are would be happy to see him on a plane home.

Agree 100 %

I hope his opposition ( follow Serb ) wins by default. 

Just imagine if you will , Nova CV. x amount wins little less x amount of losses, and 1 default.

One I am a worried a ball kids , who fetch towels or balls for him.

19 hours ago, auslander said:

So apparently he is a health risk, when already Omricon is rampant in Melbourne. And he is a risk to society cause hitting tennis balls will inspire an insurrection or something.

Anyone who utters these words should be shot in the head on site. I have never heard anything so immensely stupid in my life and I pray no one actually believes that.

18 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Well, thankfully the 1% is represented here on the forum. I am absolutely perplexed with the idiocy at play here. It's like someone coming into my house and saying, "You will not be getting dressed in the morning."

And I'm all like, "What the fuck do you mean, you cunt? I have got dressed all my life without it being a problem? What is your maggot mind even talking about?"

And then this fucking maggot proceeds to list off a bunch of ridiculous reasons, which are now meant to be proper things because there's a "pandemic" out there and I'm meant to be on board with him. Instead, of course you would politely tell him to fuck off because he's fucking idiot.

And in this story, Australia is the fucking idiot. Why is all of this anything? Why didn't he just come in the country and play tennis? What even is all the rest of this nonsense? 

It is one of those situations where I honestly just don't get it. All these pathetic reasons are now meant to mean something? Really? We honestly, truly care about all this crap? Someone can't come into the country to hit a tennis ball anymore without the world absolutely fucking exploding? Just so hard to grasp, as a proper human, how any of this is actually happening. 

3 hours ago, Doggy said:

I hope his opposition ( follow Serb ) wins by default. 

Just imagine if you will , Nova CV. x amount wins little less x amount of losses, and 1 default.

One I am a worried a ball kids , who fetch towels or balls for him.

Why on earth are you worried about the ball kids, my good man? Of all the players in the tournament, he is the only one that 100%, definitely will not have covid. Absolutely no doubt about it. Unless they create some new variant in the next few days that you can now catch twice in a month? All the other vaccinated guys can and probably will catch covid while they're here. And the vaccine doesn't for one second stop you spreading the virus, so wouldn't your concern be better placed on the ball kids in all the matches that don't feature Djokovic? 

No doubt Australia is the idiot looking at the bigger picture.

But we are lookinga t the picture that is being faced withing that idiotic big picture.

Would piss me off if they weren't consistent.

And like I said, it's not just Australia here.
try travelling to most countiers without being double jabbed and you won't get far.

No doubt we've made a fucking mess of everything (IN MY OPINION)
Mandatory vaccinations, not allowing for those who have natural immunities from having had covid, perspex screens, wiping down self checkouts, fucking masks everywhere.
I could do without it all.
Easy to say in hindsight, but I'm now acting with foresight taht most of the rules in place are a waste of time, so have stopped wearing masks, checking in etc. Fuck 'em.
But I'm not a fool, I csarry a mask and will put it on if I think I'm gonna be in trouble.

But now we live under these shitty rules they have to stick to them or it just becomes more of a mess.

And that is now reflected with Novax Djokovic about to board a plane hiome after 3 judges upheld his visa cancellation.

Love the footage of his smirking family celebrating a few days ago now lol

• Like 1

Yeah mate, I know we agree on the bigger picture. On the Djokovic thing, I just don't care how many wrongs have been made, it still doesn't make this one right. If the damage Australia has done to itself had not been immeasurable before, this one has taken it into a whole new vortex. We're kind of lucky that international travel will never happen again to and from Australia, because there's no way in the world anyone would ever want to come here again, surely. I truly think the last three years (this is what I do, just including this one from the outset because why dodge the already known?) would have made Australia close to the least desirable travel destination on Earth. I truly doubt there's anyone out there anywhere saying, "Oh man, I hate that we can't go to Australia anymore. Sure would love to get there!"

Anyway I wouldn't care a single bit if they weren't consistent, if breaking that consistency meant they showed the first sign of common sense in three years. 

If it's not just Australia, how come he's played all the other Grand Slams over the last few years? Why is he going to have no issue playing any other tennis tournaments that he wants to? 

Most of the rules are a waste of time? Name one that isn't. I have never used those stupid QR codes unless someone is at the door and won't let you in without it, which is usually only hospitals. Also never worn the stupid fucking masks unless also in a situation where you'll be fined for not doing so. I very nearly copped a $500 fine from Officer Cunt the other day on a train station. Looks like he won't send it through (still not 100% comfortable) but the whole incident just highlighted my hatred for what this country has become. 

Yeah,  but the whole tennis star thing was pretty fucking funny.
I mean I really don't care for tennis much.
Even test cricket I tend to follow the scores.
But the Aussie Open will be over before I have any idea who won, nor care.

It was fun to watch the news go ape shit. The Ch7 newsreaders leaked video calling Novax an asshole, Facebook feed full of people throwing their opinions around.
It was good for a laff, kinda sad it's all over. :(

• 2023 Gold Donors
13 hours ago, Geoff said:

f it's not just Australia, how come he's played all the other Grand Slams over the last few years? Why is he going to have no issue playing any other tennis tournaments that he wants to? 

I don't think that he'll be playing in the US Open