Australian (Not) Open for Djokovic

nyoilers

I haven't really been interested in tennis since the good old days of McEnroe and Borg.
Even then it was generally a passing interest in the big games.
But I ended up watching this game, and it was enjoyable enough.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, CureTheSane said:

Well you don't fall into that category.
You're more like "I wanna make a stance, but this virus could make me pretty sick, oh, hang on, I can just say I need the jab to keep my job"
Only joking, I have no idea as to your reason, but I'm sure there are people in here who play that line out...

Haha. I have to admit, I am getting this feeling a bit too, especially around the booster shot. 

I'm 100% against mandated vaccines and personally would not have been vaccinated if I could have done so and kept my job. But I needed to get vaccinated to keep my job. It was as simple as that. 

As for the booster, that hasn't been mandated... Yet... So I have absolutely zero intention of ever getting a booster shot. But I see a lot of people are now happy to go off and get this booster thing, even though, at this point, it's not mandated. Seems a bit strange to me. 

Out of curiosity, anyone notice in the figures that being vaccinated or not seems to be making no difference to who dies with covid and who doesn't? I don't look at it, but heard one figure the other day that 49 people died and 1/3 of those people were unvaccinated. That's how it was worded. Not that two thirds of the people that died were vaccinated. 

But it is what it is and always has been. "Vulnerable" people will die with covid, as they might with the flu, or simply by succumbing to what it is they're actually dying from, not with. 

Imagine it was part of every news story that they included the amount of people that died with (not from) a common cold. 

Many of my friends have had it, all with minor symptoms.
Was talking with a customer of mine the other day, who is 80+ and has had medical conditions recently, and he had it, and said it was like a mild cold.
But on the other hand, with my luck, I'll get it bad, so I've had my booster.
Went with moderna to change it up.

FWIW pretty sure Andrews in mandating boosters. Saw a clip on the news last night.

Doesn't really worry me either way, people can do what they like.
They wanna be like Meat Loaf and say "I'd rather die a free man than take the vaccine" then they may end up like him.

Good news is that if unvaxxed people die from this, you don't really hear them complain :) 

• Like 1

Yep, a lot of people I know have now had it and either it's been super mild and not even noticeable or they get one really bad day and two average days before and after (like a bad flu). My unvaccinated brother experienced that, but less severe than his vaccinated partner. 

I can see the media's got to you good and proper, CTS, and you just keep believing that Meat Loaf is the rule, not the extremely rare exception. Allegedly. I don't even think the story is validated and he's already the poster boy for pro-vaxxers. It's just embarrassing. :(

The stats I've heard are that you are 5 times more likely to get hospitalized or die if you are unvaccinated compared to the vaccinated....but I agree that it should be a personal choice although I will shed no tears for those who choose to take their chances like meatloaf and believe the anti-vaccine silliness....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

The stats I've heard are that you are 5 times more likely to get hospitalized or die if you are unvaccinated compared to the vaccinated....but I agree that it should be a personal choice although I will shed no tears for those who choose to take their chances like meatloaf and believe the anti-vaccine silliness....

It's funny what this thing turns people into. And how not wanting a vaccine is how people like you and CTS now define a human being. 

I'm sure there are a billion people out there, like me, who'd have looked at the stats and facts and quietly decided, with no fanfare, that like many, many other vaccines, including a flu vaccine for example, maybe I'm comfortable with my health and I don't believe I require this particular vaccine. 

As with everything else, I'm 100% happy for anyone with any doubts to quietly take the vaccine and we all get on with life happily together. I even encouraged my parents to get it. Undoubtedly, the vaccine is a very good idea for a lot of people. But not everyone. 

But looking at the way people like you and CTS speak about unvaccinated people irritates the shit out of me, to be honest. I doubt you guys were like this before all this, but it's interesting what it's turned you into. Like that other muppet... Was it Rob Badcock, who made the other thread celebrating unvaccinated people who died. Hope you're all comfortable with your new outlooks on your fellow human. 

17 minutes ago, Geoff said:

It's funny what this thing turns people into. And how not wanting a vaccine is how people like you and CTS now define a human being. 

I'm sure there are a billion people out there, like me, who'd have looked at the stats and facts and quietly decided, with no fanfare, that like many, many other vaccines, including a flu vaccine for example, maybe I'm comfortable with my health and I don't believe I require this particular vaccine. 

As with everything else, I'm 100% happy for anyone with any doubts to quietly take the vaccine and we all get on with life happily together. I even encouraged my parents to get it. Undoubtedly, the vaccine is a very good idea for a lot of people. But not everyone. 

But looking at the way people like you and CTS speak about unvaccinated people irritates the shit out of me, to be honest. I doubt you guys were like this before all this, but it's interesting what it's turned you into. Like that other muppet... Was it Rob Badcock, who made the other thread celebrating unvaccinated people who died. Hope you're all comfortable with your new outlooks on your fellow human. 

Yep I'm a terrible person who prefers to believe in science and the health experts over the conspiracy idiots....and you despite your delusions are free and welcome to believe whatever you want but I will still not cry for those who are vulnerable(Meatloaf was 74) and decide to not get vaccinated and then end up in the morgue... while I do not believe in vaccine mandates and that everyone should be free to choose, I also believe that the choice should be based on science, unless you have a health condition that prevents taking a vaccine or are young and without any health issues...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Yep I'm a terrible person who prefers to believe in science and the health experts over the conspiracy idiots....and you despite your delusions are free and welcome to believe whatever you want but I will still not cry for those who are vulnerable(Meatloaf was 74) and decide to not get vaccinated and then end up in the morgue... while I do not believe in vaccine mandates and that everyone should be free to choose, I also believe that the choice should be based on science, unless you have a health condition that prevents taking a vaccine or are young and without any health issues...

Why does it have to be so hard one way or the other? I never listen to conspiracy idiots and I've heard the science and health experts drill their opinions into me for the last three years. So why am I not allowed to hear all this and then still make up my own mind that I don't think the vaccine is necessary, for me? 

You're saying that if you listen to the experts, the only choice to make is the same one you made. Everyone who doesn't make the same decision as you deserves to die. 

I also gather that if your father had a vaccine but your mother did not, both got covid and both unfortunately passed, that you would mourn your father but not your mother? 

You guys that just buy into everything your fed don't seem to ever think outside what your fed. :(

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Why does it have to be so hard one way or the other? I never listen to conspiracy idiots and I've heard the science and health experts drill their opinions into me for the last three years. So why am I not allowed to hear all this and then still make up my own mind that I don't think the vaccine is necessary, for me? 

You're saying that if you listen to the experts, the only choice to make is the same one you made. Everyone who doesn't make the same decision as you deserves to die. 

I also gather that if your father had a vaccine but your mother did not, both got covid and both unfortunately passed, that you would mourn your father but not your mother? 

You guys that just buy into everything your fed don't seem to ever think outside what your fed. :(

As I said people have the right to choose but I wonder how many of those who choose to not get vaccinated have some serious second thoughts when their 'courageous' stand against vaccines ends up with them on their death bed....thinking outside of what many view as common sense doesn't always have a heroic ending.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dead Planet said:

As I said people have the right to choose but I wonder how many of those who choose to not get vaccinated have some serious second thoughts when their 'courageous' stand against vaccines ends up with them on their death bed....thinking outside of what many view as common sense doesn't always have a heroic ending.....

But it shouldn't be about courage and being a hero. How did it get to that point? I never felt heroic and courageous for not getting a flu vaccination. It never mattered to anyone else. No one else, anywhere, should care about it. I've been vaccinated for the things that could impact my health. I just make decisions and don't need them to be about making heroic stances. 

But there is no doubt now that you and others alike believe that you are superior humans, with more right to life, than those without a covid vaccination. And that is a very, very sad state of affairs. 

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

But it shouldn't be about courage and being a hero. How did it get to that point? I never felt heroic and courageous for not getting a flu vaccination. It never mattered to anyone else. No one else, anywhere, should care about it. I've been vaccinated for the things that could impact my health. I just make decisions and don't need them to be about making heroic stances. 

But there is no doubt now that you and others alike believe that you are superior humans, with more right to life, than those without a covid vaccination. And that is a very, very sad state of affairs. 

It's pretty clear to me that you are seeing stuff that isn't really there....paranoia is not a good way to view the world....and diverging opinions do not make anyone superior and it is sad that you view it that way, I simply trust those with more education and knowledge of the situation....

31 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

It's pretty clear to me that you are seeing stuff that isn't really there....paranoia is not a good way to view the world....and diverging opinions do not make anyone superior and it is sad that you view it that way, I simply trust those with more education and knowledge of the situation....

What am I paranoid about? What have I seen that is not before my eyes? You said you don't care about unvaccinated people who die from covid. So I'm wrong then to assume that if an unvaccinated person and vaccinated person both die that you'll only feel sympathy of the vaccinated casualty? Don't try and backtrack, cob. If you're going to make statements that you don't stand by, don't make them, and don't pretend you didn't write what is in plain text above these very words. I haven't made any conclusion that is not based on exactly what you've written. 

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

What am I paranoid about? What have I seen that is not before my eyes? You said you don't care about unvaccinated people who die from covid. So I'm wrong then to assume that if an unvaccinated person and vaccinated person both die that you'll only feel sympathy of the vaccinated casualty? Don't try and backtrack, cob. If you're going to make statements that you don't stand by, don't make them, and don't pretend you didn't write what is in plain text above these very words. I haven't made any conclusion that is not based on exactly what you've written. 

Your anti vaccine, anti mask, anti government rants smack of paranoia to me....and I do not backtrack on not having an emotional breakdown every time someone who probably would be alive if they simply got vaccinated dies....if only for the reason that it would be exhausting if nothing else, so maybe I'm just becoming resistant to it all after millions of dead.....

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

As you know I am pro-vaxx but anti-mandate. Earlier you quoted stats saying that 1/3 of all deaths are from the unvaxxed. Considering that 93% of people are vaccinated, that means that the 7% who are unvaxxed are making up 33% of thise who die. That is very high. That means you are 5x more likely to die if you are unvaccinated. 

2 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Your anti vaccine, anti mask, anti government rants smack of paranoia to me....and I do not backtrack on not having an emotional breakdown every time someone who probably would be alive if they simply got vaccinated dies....if only for the reason that it would be exhausting if nothing else, so maybe I'm just becoming resistant to it all after millions of dead.....

Haha, very good. So basically I am paranoid because I don't have the same opinions as you? Excellent logic. 

And just to clarify; What have I ever said, in any thread that makes you think I'm anti-vaccine? I've had plenty of vaccinations in my life, I encouraged my parents to get this one and about two posts ago I was saying how this vaccination is a good idea for a lot of people. Just because I, personally, would rather not have taken this particular vaccine, as I don't think it benefits me at all, I am now anti-vaccine? Based on this one decision, even if I've actually had the stupid thing? What a stupid thing to assume. Am I against vaccine mandates and people having the choice stripped away from them, assuming every single person is identical? Fuck yes. But if I'm not mistaken, you also said above that you don't like vaccine mandates, which, I guess, means you're as paranoid as me? 

Anti-mask - yep, if you need to label all this stuff, you can 100% sign me up to this one. Absolutely despise the stupid fucking things. And again, I am entirely happy with anyone who wants one to wear one - I don't care. But why do I need to walk around with one just to keep other fuckers happy? My apologies for enjoying breathing. 

Anti-government? Wrong again. I have never had any cause to really give much thought at all to governments, let alone be anti-government... before the last two years. Now I am paranoid because I question the insane measures that governments have taken in the last two years - and continue to take - in the name of covid? Because everything that's happened and happens is completely okay, proportionate and logical? Go, you. 

So in order to not be paranoid, I was meant to sit in front of the 6pm news every night and be fed my opinions so I could agree with you and yours alike? Interesting thought process.  

I'm not saying you need emotional breakdowns every time someone dies from covid because you believe you know their body and health history better than they did, but the mere fact that in your mind there is a difference between an unvaccinated person dying and a vaccinated person dying shows that you've swallowed your nightly dose of how to think just perfectly. 

2 hours ago, auslander said:

As you know I am pro-vaxx but anti-mandate. Earlier you quoted stats saying that 1/3 of all deaths are from the unvaxxed. Considering that 93% of people are vaccinated, that means that the 7% who are unvaxxed are making up 33% of thise who die. That is very high. That means you are 5x more likely to die if you are unvaccinated. 

Yep, fair point. Like I said, it was a number I saw the other day and at the time I thought it was interesting, but I admit I haven't looked or heard about any numbers for months and don't put thought into it. My main point was merely how idiotic it is that everything that's happening is based on people dying with something, and not from it. When has that ever been acceptable before? And like I said, imagine the panic we could stir up if we mentioned how many people died with a common cold? 

What about the amount of people who die with two arms and legs? Could be something in that... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha, very good. So basically I am paranoid because I don't have the same opinions as you? Excellent logic. 

And just to clarify; What have I ever said, in any thread that makes you think I'm anti-vaccine? I've had plenty of vaccinations in my life, I encouraged my parents to get this one and about two posts ago I was saying how this vaccination is a good idea for a lot of people. Just because I, personally, would rather not have taken this particular vaccine, as I don't think it benefits me at all, I am now anti-vaccine? Based on this one decision, even if I've actually had the stupid thing? What a stupid thing to assume. Am I against vaccine mandates and people having the choice stripped away from them, assuming every single person is identical? Fuck yes. But if I'm not mistaken, you also said above that you don't like vaccine mandates, which, I guess, means you're as paranoid as me? 

Anti-mask - yep, if you need to label all this stuff, you can 100% sign me up to this one. Absolutely despise the stupid fucking things. And again, I am entirely happy with anyone who wants one to wear one - I don't care. But why do I need to walk around with one just to keep other fuckers happy? My apologies for enjoying breathing. 

Anti-government? Wrong again. I have never had any cause to really give much thought at all to governments, let alone be anti-government... before the last two years. Now I am paranoid because I question the insane measures that governments have taken in the last two years - and continue to take - in the name of covid? Because everything that's happened and happens is completely okay, proportionate and logical? Go, you. 

So in order to not be paranoid, I was meant to sit in front of the 6pm news every night and be fed my opinions so I could agree with you and yours alike? Interesting thought process.  

I'm not saying you need emotional breakdowns every time someone dies from covid because you believe you know their body and health history better than they did, but the mere fact that in your mind there is a difference between an unvaccinated person dying and a vaccinated person dying shows that you've swallowed your nightly dose of how to think just perfectly. 

Your logic doesn't work for me but if it works for you then so be it....

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yep, a lot of people I know have now had it and either it's been super mild and not even noticeable or they get one really bad day and two average days before and after (like a bad flu). My unvaccinated brother experienced that, but less severe than his vaccinated partner. 

I can see the media's got to you good and proper, CTS, and you just keep believing that Meat Loaf is the rule, not the extremely rare exception. Allegedly. I don't even think the story is validated and he's already the poster boy for pro-vaxxers. It's just embarrassing. :(

I've been pretty clear through all of this.
Get vaccinated, don'e get vaccinated, I don't really care.
I chose to get vaccinated and appreciate that I was able to be.
If you don't get vaccinated and die, then that's a big price to pay for your beliefs.
I mentioned either in this thread or otehr threads that I know people who have been through covid, and their symptions were mild, even the 80year old.
Then you have Meat Loaf and a customer today who got Delta and was laid up pretty fucked for 2 weeks.
Believe it or not, if you get covid, it can fuck with you, or kill you, or maybe you won't feel any symptoims.
Not sure how the media has infultrated me.

I am anti mandate, and hate how the govt has made us sheep.
I don't believe covid will hit me hard when I get it.
I rarely wear a mask unless I am forced to.
I don't check in any more because the goverment admitted that the date was not secure.
Don't give a shit about the data, but don't like the govt lying to me.
I tend to agree with Auslander that people who don't get vaxxed should have to pay for their medical treatment, but I didn't like his arguments, so it may have appeared that I was the opposite.

Anyway, nobody got to me, it;s all 100% my opinions, developed by me.
Agree with me, disagree with me, whatever, I really don't care and I don't think I've tried to influence anyomnes opinions here (at least for a long time) on covid.
I like to hear otehr opinions, and to disagree with Glen when he used to post :) 

Edited by CureTheSane

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

wow, i'm feeling pretty misquoted.
As I said, I agree that if you choose not to take a vaccine that is proven to reduce the effects of covid and therefore the drain on our medical system, then you should maybe have to pay the bills you rack up if you get sick.
Trust in your health all you like, but if you need to go ICU, pay the bill as well, yeah?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

To be fair, I don't show remorse if someone dies who I don't know. covid or not.
Happy for you to look back through all the RIP threads for anyone who has died and you won't see a peep from me.
I didn't know Meat Loaf. I liked his music, and there will be no more.
If you tole me your sister died from covid, or anything else, I would feel sad for you for a few minutes and then move on.
I see on the news that 80 people dies from covid, some vaxxed some unvaxxed, I don't really care at all, because I knew none of them

Is that cold, or just realistic?
Don't wanna sound like an asshole, hust being honest...

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Yep, fair point. Like I said, it was a number I saw the other day and at the time I thought it was interesting, but I admit I haven't looked or heard about any numbers for months and don't put thought into it. My main point was merely how idiotic it is that everything that's happening is based on people dying with something, and not from it. When has that ever been acceptable before? And like I said, imagine the panic we could stir up if we mentioned how many people died with a common cold? 

What about the amount of people who die with two arms and legs? Could be something in that... 

It's weird that you refer to me in this as I agree with most of what you put up there.

My only question from it is that you say you don't want the vaccine because it doesn't benefit you.
That is very different from saying it is harmful, or may have side effectes, or whatever else.
If this was the case, why wouldn't you just take the jab and move on?

Of is it only really about the mandate, rather then the vaccine.
I would understand that more, and it's a fair argument, mush like the one I made with checking in and sharing information and not checking in to protest the govt lying to me.

• 2023 Gold Donors
17 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Ahh... yes.

I thought that point had been made clear throughout by those opposed to it.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors
14 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Don't wanna sound like an asshole

Don't worry mate. 

That ship has sailed. 

* :bananamac:

*There's a dancing banana involved, so of course I'm having a laugh mate.  ;)

I have a feeling i would get covid badly. I know that used to be the case for me with the flu before I started on the vaxxes each year. Since then i haven't got the flu. I am a Type 1 diabetic so I am cautious about viruses as I know they tend to hit me hard. I am grateful to have been vaxxed at no cost to me directly. This does not mean I ever want the government to dictate to me any health treatments and give me no choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I've been pretty clear through all of this.
Get vaccinated, don'e get vaccinated, I don't really care.
I chose to get vaccinated and appreciate that I was able to be.
If you don't get vaccinated and die, then that's a big price to pay for your beliefs.
I mentioned either in this thread or otehr threads that I know people who have been through covid, and their symptions were mild, even the 80year old.
Then you have Meat Loaf and a customer today who got Delta and was laid up pretty fucked for 2 weeks.
Believe it or not, if you get covid, it can fuck with you, or kill you, or maybe you won't feel any symptoims.
Not sure how the media has infultrated me.

I am anti mandate, and hate how the govt has made us sheep.
I don't believe covid will hit me hard when I get it.
I rarely wear a mask unless I am forced to.
I don't check in any more because the goverment admitted that the date was not secure.
Don't give a shit about the data, but don't like the govt lying to me.
I tend to agree with Auslander that people who don't get vaxxed should have to pay for their medical treatment, but I didn't like his arguments, so it may have appeared that I was the opposite.

Anyway, nobody got to me, it;s all 100% my opinions, developed by me.
Agree with me, disagree with me, whatever, I really don't care and I don't think I've tried to influence anyomnes opinions here (at least for a long time) on covid.
I like to hear otehr opinions, and to disagree with Glen when he used to post :) 

Yes mate, that's what I meant. You and I know everyone is getting covid and everyone is fine, some after a few days worse off than others. For my job I frequent nursing homes and I've heard that casualties are not casualties because of covid but again, with covid. It is all around us, personally, and for the overwhelming amount of cases it is nothing more than a mild passing illness. But you still seem to have this unreasonable fear that it's going to mess with you. Where does this come from, if not the media? They're the only ones feeding that narrative. 

Yes, Meat Loaf died and one of your customers got hit hard... but in that time millions of other people didn't. The odds are enormously in your favour that it will be mild. There are far, far greater and more likely things to worry about over covid. 

And I also didn't understand your thoughts on Novak without them being monstrously influenced by media opinion. I can't understand how anyone could possibly justify him being kicked out of the country, again, unless you just swallow all the bullshit the media feeds us. 

But if I'm wrong, I guess I'm wrong. ;)

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

wow, i'm feeling pretty misquoted.
As I said, I agree that if you choose not to take a vaccine that is proven to reduce the effects of covid and therefore the drain on our medical system, then you should maybe have to pay the bills you rack up if you get sick.
Trust in your health all you like, but if you need to go ICU, pay the bill as well, yeah?

But that's not how this country works. If someone is admitted to hospital with measles, mumps, whooping cough, chickenpox etc. we've never asked them to pay their bills, have we? If you're going to charge people for being in hospital with covid, fair enough, but then they must also be reimbursed that same amount of money, from the government, if they get covid and don't need to go to hospital... as is the case in the overwhelming majority of cases. Sounds stupid? Of course it does. Almost as stupid as, well, that thing you suggested. ;)

There is absolutely no way in the world that you can say someone is in hospital with covid just because they're unvaccinated, and by the same token say that they wouldn't be in there if they were vaccinated. That's just a complete grasping at straws. 

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

To be fair, I don't show remorse if someone dies who I don't know. covid or not.
Happy for you to look back through all the RIP threads for anyone who has died and you won't see a peep from me.
I didn't know Meat Loaf. I liked his music, and there will be no more.
If you tole me your sister died from covid, or anything else, I would feel sad for you for a few minutes and then move on.
I see on the news that 80 people dies from covid, some vaxxed some unvaxxed, I don't really care at all, because I knew none of them

Is that cold, or just realistic?
Don't wanna sound like an asshole, hust being honest...

Yeah, don't get me wrong. No one hates people more than me, but I don't hate unvaccinated people more than vaccinated or vice versa. My hatred for humans is equal, in context. Vaccination status is a ridiculous way to judge people and that is my point. The amount of sympathy you or anyone feels for anyone else is completely irrelevant. It's the fact that in any context you'd feel a different way about an unvaxxed person compared to a vaxxed person. Again, this Us vs Them thing is a complete byproduct of what is being fed to us by our media and government. 

Three years ago no one knew or cared about anyone's vaccination status, and now it is the main way in which some of you guys actually judge a person. 

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

It's weird that you refer to me in this as I agree with most of what you put up there.

My only question from it is that you say you don't want the vaccine because it doesn't benefit you.
That is very different from saying it is harmful, or may have side effectes, or whatever else.
If this was the case, why wouldn't you just take the jab and move on?

I would understand that more, and it's a fair argument, mush like the one I made with checking in and sharing information and not checking in to protest the govt lying to me.

lol, what is that? Why not get it and move on? Here's the better question - why get it? 

I could insert water into my body via a syringe if I wanted. I could do a whole bunch of things and move on, but why would I? I don't get flu vaccines because I don't think that being sick and getting through it is a bad thing. I don't want to take a vaccine so I am still sick, but not quite as sick as I'd be if I'd taken a vaccine. That's not what a vaccine is for me. I am happy to take a vaccine to prevent likely death, but not just to make me feel a little less sick if I'm already going to be sick. 

I didn't want it because of that, and who knows, maybe there are side effects? Who knows? I'd much rather just not have had the thing and not have that concern, as distant and non-existent as it may be. But it's possible. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

jeez guys, I worked out a long time ago that this conversation is poisonous and people will never change their stance. 

Just let it go. 

Done. Hopefully...

• Like 1