Top Motley Crue Songs

CureTheSane

So I've been making new compilations, but for the top 25 songs of my favorite bands only.
So when I play in my car etc, it starts at 25 and counts down and gradually gets better the longer it goes.
Bit of fun in some rare down time.

Ao anyway, here's what I came up with for Motley.
Decided to post this one mainly to read the horrified comments of a lack of representation from the first 2 albums :)

1.    Don’t Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
2.    Poison Apples
3.    Home Sweet Home
4.    Kickstart My Heart
5.    Same ‘Ol Situation
6.    Girls, Girls, Girls
7.    Driftaway
8.    Without You
9.    Misunderstood
10.    On With The Show

11.    Time For Change
12.    Looks That Kill
13.    Wild Side
14.    Afraid
15.    She Goes Down
16.    Enslaved
17.    Red Hot
18.    Bitter Pill
19.    Angela
20.    All In The Name Of…
21.    Live Wire
22.    Shout At The Devil
23.    You’re All I Need
24.    Loveshine
25.    Find Myself

1. Live Wire

2. Wild Side  

3. Piece of Your Action

4. Looks That Kill  

5. You're All I Need  

6. Dr. Feelgood  

7. Kickstart My Heart   

8. Shout at the Devil  

9. Too Young to Fall in Love  

10. Same Ol' Situation

11. Afraid

very average band imo. Perhaps one of the most overrated ever ;)

Just looking at Geoffs list I know that I rated Dr Feel good at 8.75 and kick start at 8.5 so I'm thinking there might not be one song over a 9 from me (the 5 above it are all worse imo).

Also I agree that Don't Go Away is arguably as good as both so that plus Girls Girls Girls would be my top 4.

on that basis I can't really be bothered to rate them like DL or BJ 

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1

I always just liked Motley Crue and it never seemed to matter that I actually agree they weren't really an amazing band, musically. But they did enough goodness to keep me interested. 

I love 'Girls Girls Girls' and think it's in my top 15, but 'Don't go away mad' I don't think would be anywhere near my top 50, maybe even more. Gotta say, doesn't do a thing for me at all. Kinda hate the chorus if I'm dead honest. :(

One killer tune that hasn't been mentioned yet;

Probably should have done my top 20 to include cool stuff like that. ;)

I think Motley lost a lot towards the end of their career.

S/T with Corabi lost a lot of fans, simply because Vince wasn't there.
Generation Swine was a little too different when it was released, and lost a lot more fans.
Everything after than was pretty average. SOLA was good, but the best song for me, the title track, couldn't squeeze into my top 25.
Then you hace Vince trying to sing.
Nikki ceasing every oppotunity for publicity over stupid shit.
Now the reunuion fiasco.

In a lot of ways they killed their legacy for a lot of people.
For me they generally evolved really well up to Dr Feelgood which was their peak.
I love the Corabi album, and included it, but it's fairly removed from the rest of the material the band did.
Hearing John talk about his exit was pretty disappointing.
All this talk these bands have of being a 'gang' and 'brothers' etc is mostly a pile of crap.
it was all business and arranged via mangers and lawyers. He wasn't all that pissed about it, I think he knew it was coming, as he said, he'd heard rumors etc

The Crue, along with Kiss, Leppard and Maiden, got me into Hard Rock/Metal early on, so they will always be a sentimental favorite.  I'd agree that they weren't the most talented band musically, although Tommy could hold his own.  I'd also agree with Cure that after the S/T release with Corabi their later albums, while not bad, never quite reached the same level. And they may have been a bit more style over substance, but their influence on the melodic rock/glam rock scene in the mid-80's, especially in the U.S. shouldn't be dismissed.  Here are my favorite Crue songs:

1. Wild Side
  2. Live Wire
  3. Looks That Kill
  4. Girls, Girls, Girls
  5. Dr. Feelgood
  6. Too Young To Fall In Love
  7. Kickstart My Heart
  8. Piece of Your Action
  9. Home Sweet Home
  10. Shout At the Devil
  11. Smoke The Sky
  12. Red Hot
  13. On With The Show
  14. Misunderstood
  15. Dancing On Glass

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

I always just liked Motley Crue and it never seemed to matter that I actually agree they weren't really an amazing band, musically. But they did enough goodness to keep me interested. 

I love 'Girls Girls Girls' and think it's in my top 15, but 'Don't go away mad' I don't think would be anywhere near my top 50, maybe even more. Gotta say, doesn't do a thing for me at all. Kinda hate the chorus if I'm dead honest. :(

One killer tune that hasn't been mentioned yet;

Probably should have done my top 20 to include cool stuff like that. ;)

the fact that people are putting livewire and wild side as their top 2 speaks volumes really. 

2 very average tracks imo. prob 7.5 at best. 

Smoke the sky is ok but I thought you hated songs like that....with a non existent chorus. Great verse and then just chants the song title twice. Doesn't do it for me. 

Yeah, Smoke The Sky is not one of my favorites either.

I think when dealing with older songs there is a sentimental aspect to it as well
"I remember when I first saw this clip, and was blown away. I loved this song at the time"
Wild Side has some great riffs, hooks, tempo changes, etc

6 hours ago, Glen said:

the fact that people are putting livewire and wild side as their top 2 speaks volumes really. 

Would those volumes be that people like a band you are not keen on, so their opinion on those songs differs to yours because they like the band?

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Would those volumes be that people like a band you are not keen on, so their opinion on those songs differs to yours because they like the band?

Everything is about opinion.....it's why we're here isn't it??

And in answer to your question. no. When reading the DL and BJ threads I completely got peoples lists cos mostly there were great songs at the top even if they weren't my fav songs.

imo those tracks mentioned are not great....they are fairly standard hard rockers. But then that would describe most MC songs.

But to each their own. I'm glad you like them....and I mean that honestly 

My top 10

1. Wild Side 
2. Primal Scream
3. Too Young to Fall in Love
4. Live Wire
5. Shout at the Devil
6. Looks That Kill
7. Kickstart My Heart
8. Dr. Feelgood
9. Saints of Los Angeles
10. Hell on High Heels

I love the entire 1994 self titled album with Corabi on vocals, but I kinda consider it a different beast, so I didn't include those songs here, as they would have dominated the list. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, whiplash1972 said:

My top 10

1. Wild Side 
2. Primal Scream
3. Too Young to Fall in Love
4. Live Wire
5. Shout at the Devil
6. Looks That Kill
7. Kickstart My Heart
8. Dr. Feelgood
9. Saints of Los Angeles
10. Hell on High Heels

I love the entire 1994 self titled album with Corabi on vocals, but I kinda consider it a different beast, so I didn't include those songs here, as they would have dominated the list. 

Pretty much my list also, but perhaps in a different order with Girls Girls Girls added.

Edited by Darkstone

18 hours ago, Glen said:

2 very average tracks imo. prob 7.5 at best. 

Smoke the sky is ok but I thought you hated songs like that....with a non existent chorus. Great verse and then just chants the song title twice. Doesn't do it for me. 

Nah, always loved that tune. Yeah, I love the big hooks and melodies, but it's not like I never ever veer outside that formula ever. ;) I actually like the brief but effective chorus in 'Smoke The Sky.' It's fitting. 

Interesting to see a lot of the same songs appearing in all lists, which is different to DL and BJ which were generally pretty varied lists. Seems like there's a more even consensus on what the better MC songs were... to a degree.  

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Nah, always loved that tune. Yeah, I love the big hooks and melodies, but it's not like I never ever veer outside that formula ever. ;) I actually like the brief but effective chorus in 'Smoke The Sky.' It's fitting. 

Interesting to see a lot of the same songs appearing in all lists, which is different to DL and BJ which were generally pretty varied lists. Seems like there's a more even consensus on what the better MC songs were... to a degree.  

ha ha that's cos there's only about 10 good to great songs

IMHO before anyone jumps down my throat 

10 minutes ago, Glen said:

ha ha that's cos there's only about 10 good to great songs

I was listening to 'Shout at the devil' the other day and was surprised as how cool it actually is. We all have the same tunes on our lists, but 'Knock 'em dead kid' and 'Ten seconds to love' are great too. And the 'Helter skelter' cover. Yeah, it was a pretty awesome disc for it's time, to be honest. Credit where it's due, n' stuff. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

like you said it's all about preferences, in the end it's those differences that make this site work, bringing in alternate perspectives and introducing people to albums and bands they may have otherwise missed out on, as long as we remember to keep it respectful, plus you can't help that you don't have as good of taste as the rest of us ;)

Too Fast and Shout are classics. It all started to go down hill from there. Other good songs here and there but nothing like those first two albums.

Have you ever noticed how many of Motley records didn’t even have 10 full original songs on them? Covers, live songs, instrumentals. They had a hard time coming up with enough material to fill  an album.

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Lots of love for Wild Side.
I like the song, but can put, well 12 others, above it lol

Haha. Sorry mate, as I said above, I could put about 50 above 'Don't go away mad.' ;)

Just can't ignore that 'Wild side' riffage. :wub:

24 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha. Sorry mate, as I said above, I could put about 50 above 'Don't go away mad.' ;)

Just can't ignore that 'Wild side' riffage. :wub:

riffage maybe but at the end the day it's still just an average hard rock rock.

To each their own 

1 minute ago, Glen said:

riffage maybe but at the end the day it's still just an average hard rock rock.

To each their own 

But without a terrible chorus, if we're comparing two tunes mentioned in recent posts. ;)

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

But without a terrible chorus, if we're comparing two tunes mentioned in recent posts. ;)

well without a chorus Full stop if we're being pedantic lol.

unless you call chanting livewire a chorus ;)

anyway I thought you hated all music before 1984?