I Have A Question ...

Gibbo

... how the hell do you guys (and girls) find the time to listen to/keep up with all these bands?

I read through the various topics, with every intention of checking out some of this stuff ... then I find that we're six months down the line, one of the bands has split up, another one has released two more albums and another has spawned six side-projects and a TV series ... and I've missed it all!

Okay, so I appreciate that my advanced age, ridiculous number of kids and inability to use earphones/earplugs (long story) doesn't help but, seriously ... do you people never sleep?

lol, I have 6 kids. - all getting older now, but 5 still at home so it's hard to blast music too much.

I also generally work from home, but find that music is either distracting, or annoying in the background when I'm working at my computer.

So I'm in the same boat.

I have so many albums sitting to listen to, and I just don't have time to get through them.

I see threads here and they are dissecting albums from bands I like and I can't be involved because I need to listen 4 or 5 times to really be able to create an opinion.

Sometimes I get right in to a CD and look up a thread to see how others judged it at the time.

I go on interstate road trips but usually take a kid with me, but sometimes we play it loud.

Best time for me is when I'm overseas. I go to China a couple of times a year and where I go, English is pretty rarely understood, so I can plug in headphones and wander around knowing I don't need to converse.

how the hell do you guys (and girls) find the time to listen to/keep up with all these bands?

I don't :D

I am long past the "constantly keeping my ears to the ground, listening for the coolest/newest/hottest tunes" phase.

I buy most of my music second hand/cheap nowadays. If an old favorite releases a new album of course I'm interested in that, but even then I'm picky. I bet if you look thru the threads here about recent releases from some of the bigger name Euro-metal bands, you'll see numerous posts from me that say "I used to really dig these guys but I lost track of them three or four albums ago."

When it comes to "new" bands, I may still occasionally come across some in my travels that interest me, but I don't actively seek them out like I used to, and I don't go "OH MY GOD THIS IS GREAT I MUST IMMEDIATELY OWN EVERY SINGLE NOTE OF MUSIC THIS BAND HAS EVER RELEASED" when I hear something I like...

I'm sure there are lots of recent bands out there that would be right up my alley, but I simply don't have the f*ckin' time to investigate each and every one of them anymore.

• 2023 Gold Donors

If I'm lucky I buy one new CD a month.I mostly buy used.I deliver newspapers in the morning which is 95% curbside so I bring 4 CD's with me and usually listen to at least 1 1/2 of them.

I stream a lot of music and listen to discs on my old portable cd player during my work day, plus my wife and I don't watch a lot of television. I find out about newer bands or releases through sites like this, but I don't buy new release cds too often unless it is a favorite band or something I've heard already and really like.

• My Little Pony

I don't.

I've actually been avoiding HH because it's become overwhelming. So many things I was interested in listening to, and I can't deal with the constant reminder that I still haven't got around to them.

... how the hell do you guys (and girls) find the time to listen to/keep up with all these bands?

I read through the various topics, with every intention of checking out some of this stuff ... then I find that we're six months down the line, one of the bands has split up, another one has released two more albums and another has spawned six side-projects and a TV series ... and I've missed it all!

Okay, so I appreciate that my advanced age, ridiculous number of kids and inability to use earphones/earplugs (long story) doesn't help but, seriously ... do you people never sleep?

Buddy, I personally think that listening to music needs a vision (creating for example an ultimate playlist), strategic planning (for example, listening to new releases every weekend-like Green Monday) and discipline (stick to the plan-now I don't want to go as far as sacrificing your child's birthday :tumbsup: ) . B)

What I do is skip through most releases on Spotify. If it grabs me I download on Spotify for further listening. If I still like it after 5-10 listens I might buy the CD.

85% at least fail at first hurdle. Only 5% make it to CD.....i probably buy 5 a year these days.

Thanks, guys - feeling a whole lot better now!

Once or twice a month, I go to see my eldest son, so I'll get the chance to listen to maybe six or seven CDs in the car (more, if they don't hold my interest) ... but pretty much everything I listen to is 'older' material (usually stuff that has been sitting around for a while, that I just haven't got around to playing.) Gone are the days when I'd be buying every single in every format by a favourite band!

I listen to music for about an hour on my stereo in the morning as I'm getting my babies and I ready for work and daycare. Obviously it's not wolfing the house down in volume, but it's a comfortable volume that we all enjoy. Then we listen to music in the car to and from station/daycare. Then in the train on the way down to work I listen to music for nearly an hour and a half on my laptop/Iphone. Then at work, I am a courier and listen to music in the car all day. Then I go home via the train/car and again listen to music for that hour and a half or. And several nights a week my wife is late from work, or goes out or something, which means the stereo is in action again.

Basically, the only time I don't really listen to music is over the weekend and on holidays, but the working week is full of it. Well, on the weekend I surf alone, so those trips to and from the beach are always full of music. Or when I visit my brothers 3 and 1/2, and 4 and 1/2 hours up the coast on a semi-regular basis... it all adds up.

Not to rub it in, but I've scrapped my 2017 playlist for a month or two, quite frankly, because I got sick of it. Just played it too many times, even with the addition of new additions along the way. I usually struggle to listen to new music enough, but not this year. I've gone back to my 2016 playlist from start to end before I return to 2017. And I'm already up to 'F.' And I also have my top 50 albums on my Iphone, which I played through twice before needing to move on.

Yeah, no shortage here. I guess I'm "lucky" in the sense that I have a job where I can listen to music all day. Don't feel bad, though. I promise all you guys you earn in two days what I earn in five. :(

On the way to work and back...Ipod when out on delivery for a couple of hours, then CD's in the van or the rest of the day...loads of time every day

Let's be clear: I listen to music all day every day. But I don't keep up with all the new stuff.

^^ What he said.

Let's be clear: I listen to music all day every day. But I don't keep up with all the new stuff.

^^ What he said.

Eraists.

lol. That was really, really crafty and good. You get it? It's like racist, but instead of discriminating against a race, you guys are discriminating against an era of music.

They don't call me magical for nothing.