Giant reunites for first time

AlphaMale

http://www.melodicrock.com/

I'm absolutely thrilled for MRR's own BRYAN COLE as he heads for Nashville this weekend, to partake in the gig of a lifetime. Yes, Bryan is singing for a reunited GIANT! Featuring Dann Huff, David Huff and Mike Brignardello, plus keyboardist Tyson Leslie (Vixen) and Mark Oakley.

This is a benefit gig for Todd Austin, who lost everything in a recent fire. The Giant guys are old friend with Todd and agreed to pitch in by performing two songs among a night filled with music.

Now, due to the nature of the event and the fact that Dann Huff hasn't sung in a number years, he felt that he wouldn't do justice to the songs and asked Mike Brignardello if he knew a vocalist. Well, having just played on Bryan Cole's debut album Sands Of Time, Mike immediately called Bryan, who needed no time at all to jump at the chance.

The event takes place this Saturday night in Nashville.

From Mike's FB page:

"GIANT reunites for the First Time Ever July 1 @ Basement East for Thrilla for Toddzilla. The original line-up; Dann Huff, David Huff, Mike Brignardello and Mark Oakley, with Tyson Leslie on keys and Bryan Cole on vocals. Show starts at 8:00, be there early, we're playing two songs! Looking forward to seeing our friends and helping our pal Todd Austin. See you Saturday!

And from Bryan this afternoon:

"This Sat night will be a very special evening in Nashville, TN! You do not want to miss this!!! First of all, we're helping a brother musician who lost almost everything in a fire! I've always been absolutely amazing how strong the music community is here in Nashville!

Now for the BIG, GRAND, AWESOME AND GIANT NEWS I PROMISED...... I will take the stage with my musical hero's DANN HUFF, DAVID HUFF, Mike Brignardello, MARC OAKLEY AND Tyson P Leslie for a first ever GIANT REUNION!

I still think it is very cool that Dann, David and Mike will be getting back together to play Giant songs, even if it is only for the one show. Dann has commented that he wasn't comfortable being a front man, between that, all the time that has passed and the lack of rehearsal time before the show, it doesn't surprise me they would ask someone to step behind the mic. Who knows, in the moment, he might sing a verse or two.

• My Little Pony

How does one continue to write music, but not continue to sing? Does he not demo his songs to the Cuntry artists who inevitably end up singing them? I think it's bullshit. Part of me thinks he just doesn't want to make a big deal of it. He prolly doesn't want all us fans going, "Holy shit! Dann still sounds great! When is Giant finally gonna reunite?!"

It's only two songs. Am I a little jaded? Hell yeah. It's only two songs. Why bring someone new, who's never performed those songs? Especially when the one who wrote those songs is already on stage playing guitar. It's only two songs.

I'm sure he still sounds great....just doesn't want to do it. Reluctant front man.

I'm glad I saw them back in the day. Still rates in my top 10 gigs

That's just silly, Huff being a part of it but not singing. It's like Skid Row doing a reunion with Bach... except Sollinger or Harnell or me or whoever is doing the vocals while Bach plays the triangle all night. Just silly.

It's a strange situation, but let's see how it goes. Dann has certainly always been ultra hard on himself as far as his vocal abilities.

Personally I think he's one of the best AOR tones I've ever heard.

Agreed,its his tone along with his playin/writing style that made Giant sound like what they were from the debut to III...an absolute belter classic hard rock band :)

The few videos I've seen going around facebook sound alright. Dann Huff's clearly enjoying himself with the guitar side of things. It's strange that he didn't sing at all and slightly disappointing (even if that is a bit selfish of me to say) better than no gig at all though

I saw a few different videos on youtube of the perfomance. JThorley's comments were spot on. From what I've seen they did three songs (I'm a Believer, Innocent Days, and I'll See You In My Dreams) and sounded pretty good. But outside of singing backup vocals on Innocent Days, Dann focused his attention on playing his lead guitar parts and honoring his friend.

• My Little Pony

I just think it's cool this happened in the first place, the details are secondary to me

The more I thought about it, and then watching the videos, I had to agree. I just wish I could have been there.