Upcoming 2017 releases

Stefan

Love that Edguy cover, fantastic stuff !

Yeah I dig it but I think it's a trend. Their covers have been getting better but the albums worse!

Nothing has been in the same stratosphere as "Hellfire Club" for me. A few songs here and there but nothing even close to that masterpiece.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

Yeah I dig it but I think it's a trend. Their covers have been getting better but the albums worse!

Nothing has been in the same stratosphere as "Hellfire Club" for me. A few songs here and there but nothing even close to that masterpiece.

Hmm. I dunno.

I think Mandrake was the best, followed by Rocket Ride, then Hellfire Club, then Space Police.

But really, that order could change depending on the day.

Apart from Rocketride of course which is far better ;)

Out of curiosity, you guys haven't rated their albums, hey? I did, and shocked my balls off with the results. FYI;

1. Tinnitus Sanctus - 76%
2. Rocket Ride - 74%
3. Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown - 73%
4. Age Of The Joker - 65%
5. Hellfire Club - 64%
6. Mandrake - 48%
The thing with them, is their fillers are so shit and they have very few truly ball-cracking tracks. So nothing rates really high, but the fillers are so shit that it's basically impossible to rate one of their albums too high. ;)
The thing with 'Tinnitus Sanctus,' though, is there is no terrible filler on it... unlike their other albums. Hence it escaped with the highest score. Hardly a glowing endorsement, as in my mind I think 'Rocket Ride' has their best tunes... but I guess as an entire album, consistently, 'Tinnitus Sanctus' is their best... allegedly. ;)

Out of curiosity, you guys haven't rated their albums, hey? I did, and shocked my balls off with the results. FYI;

2. Rocket Ride - 74%

5. Hellfire Club - 64%

6. Mandrake - 48%

The thing with them, is their fillers are so shit and they have very few truly ball-cracking tracks. So nothing rates really high, but the fillers are so shit that it's basically impossible to rate one of their albums too high. ;)

The thing with 'Tinnitus Sanctus,' though, is there is no terrible filler on it... unlike their other albums. Hence it escaped with the highest score. Hardly a glowing endorsement, as in my mind I think 'Rocket Ride' has their best tunes... but I guess as an entire album, consistently, 'Tinnitus Sanctus' is their best... allegedly. ;)

You haven't rated their best albums - Savage Poetry (re-recorded), Vain Glory Opera and their best Theatre of Salvation. Come on man!

Then it's Rocket Ride, Hellfire Club and Mandrake. I struggle to listen to the others.

Yep way too much filler, and generally long albums with lots of songs which makes for low ratings as per your system for an otherwise pretty good band. Umm, a band that used to be pretty good but ran out of ideas.

2. Rocket Ride - 74%

5. Hellfire Club - 64%

6. Mandrake - 48%

You haven't rated their best albums - Savage Poetry (re-recorded), Vain Glory Opera and their best Theatre of Salvation. Come on man!

Then it's Rocket Ride, Hellfire Club and Mandrake. I struggle to listen to the others.

Yep way too much filler, and generally long albums with lots of songs which makes for low ratings as per your system for an otherwise pretty good band. Umm, a band that used to be pretty good but ran out of ideas.

Aren't those ones more "power metal" type albums - lightening fast monotonous drums, unlistenable rubbish?

2. Rocket Ride - 74%

5. Hellfire Club - 64%

6. Mandrake - 48%

No f way in a million years is TS better than Rocketride

• My Little Pony

2. Rocket Ride - 74%

5. Hellfire Club - 64%

6. Mandrake - 48%

No f way in a million years is TS better than Rocketride

Yeah. Pretty much all the proof you need to know your rating system is completely phukked!!

Here's my breakdown, for what it's worth;

Rocket Ride;

01. Sacrifice - 7
02. Rocket Ride - 6
03. Wasted Time - 9.25
04. Matrix - 7.25
05. Return to the Tribe - 4
06. The Asylum - 8.5
07. Save Me - 8.75
08. Catch of the Century - 8
09. Out of Vogue - 6.5
10. Superheroes - 8.5
11. Trinidad - 7
12. Fucking With Fire - 8.75
13. Land Of The Miracle - 7.25
Total - 74%
Titinhis Anus;
01. Ministry Of Saints - 7
02. Sex Fire Religion - 7.25
03. The Pride Of Creation - 7.75
04. Nine Lives - 8.25
05. Wake Up Dreaming Black - 7.5
06. Dragonfly - 7.25
07. Thorn Without A Rose - 9
08. 929 - 8
09. Speedhoven - 6.5
10. Dead Or Rock - 7.5
Total - 76%
I think maybe it's not so much that 'Titinhis Anus' is such a great album... its more so that when it's broken down, 'Rocket Ride' isn't as great as I also thought it was too. And of two solid but not amazing albums, apparently I prefer the anus one.

The real explanation is in:

That one basically alone 'sinks' your RR score. Without it the average climbs to 77.2%.

Exactly the reason i only rate 12 songs max. Its like you are penalising RR for giving you more music.

Surely if you are comparing an albums worth against a 10 track album you should only consider the best 10 tracks

Yeah I don't get the ratings things at all. 10 tracks max I reckon and if there albums with 11 or more great songs they should get additional recognition coz you didn't have to drop a song.

First 2 songs on Rocketride are great....youre mad ;)

'Sacrifice' has nice parts in the verses, but I'm not a massive fan of the chanty chorus. And to be honest - 8:22 - it's just too long. I will mark a song down for being overlong, and I'm sure this was one of them. It just doesn't need to be that long, and for me, has no replay value. A song has to be extraordinary to warrant repeated plays at 8mins long.

'Rocket Ride' is the typical type of Edguy song I don't like. It's actually rated high for that type of song. Just a pointless fast paced in one ear out the other type of song. Does nothing for me.

The real explanation is in:

That one basically alone 'sinks' your RR score. Without it the average climbs to 77.2%.

Exactly the reason i only rate 12 songs max. Its like you are penalising RR for giving you more music.

Surely if you are comparing an albums worth against a 10 track album you should only consider the best 10 tracks

So what do you do with 8 or 9 track albums? Or if there is a 15 or 16 track album? You write off 5-6 songs?

The whole point of this rating thing for me is an even playing field. I just rate all the songs on all the albums. Whether it be 8 or 16 - I don't change my "system" from album to album. Each album is faced as an entire piece. It's simple, and I think it's fair. If one album has all great songs and no fillers, it'll rate high. If it has great songs and fillers, I will acknowledge the fillers, as they are part of the album. If I go out to avoid rating poor songs then albums are going to be rated incorrectly...

In which case RR becomes 80.25%

:)

... Case, point, and perfect example. 'Rocket Ride' is definitely not an 80% album and would look out of place alongside albums I have rated 80%.

I just skipped through both albums on Spotify....in truth neither album has aged well. Probably the reason i never listen to Edguy these days

And that is exactly what I was saying above. It's not that I think that 'Titinhisanus' is such an amazing album. It's purely that in hindsight, neither album is a masterpeice, and overall, I seem to think 'Titinhisanus' is a slightly more consistent album. But neither is amazing.

Yeah I don't get the ratings things at all. 10 tracks max I reckon and if there albums with 11 or more great songs they should get additional recognition coz you didn't have to drop a song.

To paraphrase what I was saying above to Glen, why make something so simple and straight forward awkward and different for every single album? Honestly, I couldn't give the most remote f*ck what you guys do and how you catalogue or rate your albums... make it as complicated and crazy as you want... but for me, I'm keeping it simple, fair and equal across the board. Great music is rated well, and poor music is rated poorly. Everything combined makes up the total score for an album, whether it be 8 songs, or 48 songs.

But its not fair is it????? You say the album isn't worth 80% but that is YOUR average score for those 10 songs so go figure. Just skip the other 3 if you don't like them.

You must see this point surely??

So -

Album 1 has 10 killer songs and 2 good songs

Album 2 has 10 killer songs and 4 good songs

[none of the songs are anything you would ever skip]

By your marking album 1 will always be better - that makes no sense to me whatsoever - you are merely penalising an album for having more music.

Yes, I do say the album is not worth 80% and as per my long post above, I don't care what the average score for a percentage of the album is. So the top 10 songs average out at 80%? Cool. But that's not the album, is it? It's 10 songs from an album. I am rating full albums. Regardless of how many songs are on there, each entire album is treated equally.

Yes, I do skip songs I don't like, or I don't rip them to MP3 to play into the future... but you're definitely missing the point here. I am rating albums. AOR. Album Orientated Rock, to some. I am not rating individual songs for MP3 players, or 10 songs and discarding the rest. Yes, I gain info in order to decide which MP3s to rip and keep, but I am rating albums for a purpose.

So I guess I can see your "point," but it's plain and simply just not what I am doing. Like I said, I don't honestly care at all what you guys do. It's just not what I am doing. You're rating 10 songs per album. I am rating albums as they are - from the first track to the last. If a band has more songs and some are crap, then call it "penalising" if you must. To me, it's just rating the entire album for what it is. Basic, simple as that.

Yes, I do say the album is not worth 80% and as per my long post above, I don't care what the average score for a percentage of the album is. So the top 10 songs average out at 80%? Cool. But that's not the album, is it? It's 10 songs from an album. I am rating full albums. Regardless of how many songs are on there, each entire album is treated equally.

Yes, I do skip songs I don't like, or I don't rip them to MP3 to play into the future... but you're definitely missing the point here. I am rating albums. AOR. Album Orientated Rock, to some. I am not rating individual songs for MP3 players, or 10 songs and discarding the rest. Yes, I gain info in order to decide which MP3s to rip and keep, but I am rating albums for a purpose.

So I guess I can see your "point," but it's plain and simply just not what I am doing. Like I said, I don't honestly care at all what you guys do. It's just not what I am doing. You're rating 10 songs per album. I am rating albums as they are - from the first track to the last. If a band has more songs and some are crap, then call it "penalising" if you must. To me, it's just rating the entire album for what it is. Basic, simple as that.

But it depends on why you are rating an album - fair enough if you are just rating an album to catalogue everything do what you like.

But you cant just throw up 2 summaries as an argument that you like TS more when on average the 10 best songs are on Rocketride - it makes no sense to any of us.

Peace out.

But it depends on why you are rating an album - fair enough if you are just rating an album to catalogue everything do what you like.

But you cant just throw up 2 summaries as an argument that you like TS more when on average the 10 best songs are on Rocketride - it makes no sense to any of us.

Peace out.

One thing is obvious in all of this. We need more titties in CD booklets!

Actually, what we need is more power metal fans here because saying early EDGUY albums are bad are pure non-sense since their best album is definitely 'Theater of Salvation', but i think most of their albums are consistently good, i can see myself throwing a range of 75-85% for the rest