Steel Panther - Lower the Bar

All Nights Reserved

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...where to start. First and foremost i have to say that this album is just not funny guys. Not sure why tbh....be it rushed...be it lack of ideas....be it joke wearing thin....probably a combination of all these.

As a Steel Panther fan it makes me sad that maybe theyve gone one album too far?

Musically its still pretty tight, but the lyrics are no longer clever or funny and the choruses are pretty basic repeats of the song title. :(

So in summary -

1. Goin in the back door - 6.5

2. Anything Goes - 8

3. Poontang Boomerang - 7

4. Thats when u came in - 8

5. Wrong Side of the Tracks - 7.5

6. Now the fun starts - 5

7. Pussy aint free - 6

8. Wasted too much time - 6

9. I got wot u want - 7

10. Walk of shame - 5.5

Overall : 65%

Replay value : 30% :(

In fairness the first half is pretty good (albeit not that funny)...the second half is pretty weak tho.

Let me know if im being harsh??

I'm no SP fan as you all know, but i'll still have a listen, even if it's only once, to see what the fuss (or not) is about. After listening to some excellent albums released today, this is absolutely dreadful in comparison. As I have previously said, the joke wore thin a good while back imo, but they did have the odd good song along the way. Don't worry, there aren't any on here though, so listen at your own peril... even the Cheap Trick cover is lame.I really do now think their time is up. In the mean time, I'll go back in my hole and listen to the new Brother Firetribe and One Desire albums, which absolutely destroy this debacle in all departments.

Well...where to start. First and foremost i have to say that this album is just not funny guys. Not sure why tbh....be it rushed...be it lack of ideas....be it joke wearing thin....probably a combination of all these.

As a Steel Panther fan it makes me sad that maybe theyve gone one album too far?

Musically its still pretty tight, but the lyrics are no longer clever or funny and the choruses are pretty basic repeats of the song title. :(

So in summary -

2. Anything Goes - 8

4. That's When You Came In - 8

7. Pussy aint free - 6

9. I got wot u want - 7

10. Walk of shame - 5.5

In fairness the first half is pretty good (albeit not that funny)...the second half is pretty weak tho.

Nope. I'm right at the same score as you Glen:

Goin' In The Backdoor - 8

Anything Goes - 7.5

Poontang Boomerang - 7

Thats when u came in - 8

Wrong Side of the Tracks - 6

Now The Fun Starts - 5.5

Pussy Ain't Free - 6

Wasted Too Much Time - 5.5

I Got What U Want - 6.5

Walk Of Shame - 5

She's Tight - 6

There are 2 more tracks on the Deluxe edition, if you want to put yourself through it ;)

Red Headed Step Child

Momentary Epiphany

The majority of those tracks are crap! How the mighty have fallen. This will be the most disappointing release of 2017.

The majority of those tracks are crap! How the mighty have fallen. This will be the most disappointing release of 2017.

Its like they have morphed into Scrapp Mettle....unfunny songs about sex and woman

Theyve lost all those funny clever angles that they had on the first 3 albums.

Its like they have morphed into Scrapp Mettle....unfunny songs about sex and woman

Theyve lost all those funny clever angles that they had on the first 3 albums.

Lyrics aside, the songs themselves are horrible. These sound like a bunch of b-sides that didn't make the cut on previous albums.

Not gonna say its horrible, as its not, but it certainly is not as instant as previous albums and part of that seems to be because the humour is dialled back.

I think it kinda goes with what I have always said that if they tone the humour down they will lose that one thing that makes them stand out, and become just another rock band.

Songs like Poontang boomerang are great, but certain other songs just washed over me.

Hopefully it will improve with time.

I'm no SP fan as you all know, but i'll still have a listen, even if it's only once, to see what the fuss (or not) is about. After listening to some excellent albums released today, this is absolutely dreadful in comparison. As I have previously said, the joke wore thin a good while back imo, but they did have the odd good song along the way. Don't worry, there aren't any on here though, so listen at your own peril... even the Cheap Trick cover is lame.I really do now think their time is up. In the mean time, I'll go back in my hole and listen to the new Brother Firetribe and One Desire albums, which absolutely destroy this debacle in all departments.

I do think you are completely wrong in your assessment.

This album is obviously disappointing but their first 2 albums are classics imo and the 3rd aint too shabby either

So in summary -

2. Anything Goes - 8

7. Pussy aint free - 6

9. I got wot u want - 7

10. Walk of shame - 5.5

There are 4 tracks on this that i like (quite a lot actually)

1. Anything Goes - still think this is a killer riff.

2. Thats when you came in - nice ballad and not too offensive either

3. Wrong side of the tracks - just a really straight ahead catchy song. No real smut here, pretty straight lyrics

4. I Got what u want - just love that synth intro....so good. And its damn catchy too....been stuck in my head

So a real nice EP even if the rest aint too hot.

Rating wise will prob end up around 70%.

So in summary -

2. Anything Goes - 8

7. Pussy aint free - 6

9. I got wot u want - 7

10. Walk of shame - 5.5

There are 4 tracks on this that i like (quite a lot actually)

1. Anything Goes - still think this is a killer riff.

2. Thats when you came in - nice ballad and not too offensive either

3. Wrong side of the tracks - just a really straight ahead catchy song. No real smut here, pretty straight lyrics

4. I Got what u want - just love that synth intro....so good. And its damn catchy too....been stuck in my head

So a real nice EP even if the rest aint too hot.

Rating wise will prob end up around 70%.

I dig I Got What U Want too. It's probably the only song I like by the way on the album. Great 80's feel.

Well, well, well... what on earth is all the fuss about here?! Jeez I hope the thoughts here are not echoed by the masses and that it influences them in any way not to continue.

For the record, yep, sadly, no doubt it's their weakest album yet. I concede that, but that's about where it ends for me. I was listening to the first four tracks thinking zomfg, what are these dudes on about? I really enjoyed the first four songs.

After that, yeah, it gets patchy. But as with all Steel Panther stuff, there is something I loved on every song. Except two. The only two songs I did actually think were quite poor were 'Walk of Shame' and the bonus track, 'Red headed stepchild.' It's a shame because 'Walk of shame' has the smuttiest, crudest lyrics of the album, but it's just a very poor song. And 'Red headed stepchild' is very poor too - just goes nowhere.

But yeah, aside from those two songs, I found something to like about every song. 'Wrong side of the tracks' has killer verses, but sadly falls flat come the chorus. I kinda like the vibe of 'Now the fun starts,' after initially thinking it was too much of a detour. But it grew on me quick. 'Now the fun starts' and 'Pussy ain't free' are very basic, but I do enjoy both. 'Wasted too much time' is one of my faves of the album - huge chorus. Really cool tune. 'I got what you want' is cool, and I like the cover song. The second bonus song, 'Momentary Epiphany,' is another one of my faves too. Beautiful melody and it really has me wondering about their intentions with this song. Rather "serious" until the drug part. But nice.

Anyway, just in general, I don't care that it's not as funny as previous albums (and it's really not). I have always said from the start that "the joke wearing thin" wasn't an option for me, because I just like the lyrics anyway, whether they're still funny or not. I just like their craft, and that was evident today listening to this back to back with Brother Firetribe and the new Bonfire. Whilst they are both good albums, they may as well have been singing about pumpkins in Aunt May's vegetable patch for all the interest I have in their lyrics. Whereas with the Steel Panther album, I was hanging off every word. Sure, I didn't laugh much, but the lyrics still speak to me, and a wry smile is never far away.

So yeah, I dunno, I'll listen to it more, but I hardly think it's the trainwreck described here. It's their weakest album, and I think that's because they've included far less "commercial" songs here. It's mostly the straight ahead hard rock here, but they need the radio friendly stuff to break it up, as per usual. I really hope they keep going because I still love their spin on things compared to the norm.

Bonfire is weak arse

BF is magnifique imo....i love that album and the lyrics....even that inspiro shit sounds great on there.

As for SP....i feel my rate will end up about 70% which i think is fair...its no world beater but the hooks are still there.

Bonfire is weak arse

BF is magnifique imo....i love that album and the lyrics....even that inspiro shit sounds great on there.

As for SP....i feel my rate will end up about 70% which i think is fair...its no world beater but the hooks are still there.

I think it'll be around the 70% mark too... maybe even mid to high 70's on the back of the songs I do really like on it. Only a couple to really bring it down.