Steel Panther - Lower the Bar

All Nights Reserved

Yeah really like his voice too he's a great singer, in the new song when he says ''five and a half inches of love'' or the high notes at the end sound good but that's it. For some reason the way he sings the verses doesn't fit the song at all

During the verses I was all like, "oh, so they're going to record a serious song here." I also admit I don't see much humour in the song (until the chorus), but his voice is great, imo.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new song... Right up until he starts singing. The riff and drums are tight but the vocal melody really drags it down

Yup. Agree with that too.

A friend of mine said it perfectly, "He's got a voice that will grow old real fast."

He wasn't saying the dude had a bad voice. He's just saying that he couldn't listen to Steel Panther for very long because the vocals wear thin on him.

With so many great titles coming out in the next few weeks, this one is slipping on my can't wait to hear it all list. 4 tracks in and I'm not overly impressed....I feel I'll need to lower the bar to really enjoy this one.

With so many great titles coming out in the next few weeks, this one is slipping on my can't wait to hear it all list. 4 tracks in and I'm not overly impressed....I feel I'll need to lower the bar to really enjoy this one.

Great pun!! :lol:

And I agree. This appears to be their weakest disc yet. I hope the rest of the songs are better.

Great pun!! :lol:

And I agree. This appears to be their weakest disc yet. I hope the rest of the songs are better.

Unfortunately, this very well could be their weakest record. The singles haven't been up to the same bar as their previous goodness.

Which sucks because their early stuff is super kick ass. I've lowered my expectations

I'm not getting too down in the dumps, but I have to admit I am also feeling like this will be their weakest album so far. I still cannot wait to hear it, but there is definitely not the spark in these new songs of ones of old. Hopefully the rest of the songs are amazing. :unsure:

Still pumped up for this one. Could it be their weakest? Maybe. I'll know when I hear it. I suspect I will still like it even if it ends up at the bottom of my SP album rankings. No doubt it will still blow Scrap Mettle outta the water!

The songs released already confirm it'll still be a good album. Their sound/style is too good to release anything really poor. But yeah, I think it will be time to brace for their weakest outing yet (which will still be a lot better than most).

I'm still looking forward to this, I participated in the Pledge campaign they had so here's hoping I'll get it a day or two earlier... to be honest I'd be happier with 10 tracks with the same quality as Poontang Boomerang rather than the last album which I felt had a lot of average tracks save for 4 or 5 songs which were really good, just my opinion

Just listening to it now. 7 songs in and it's definitely the weakest yet.

Pussy Ain't Free is reminding me of some of the 90s music I listened to... getting odd Presidents of the USA/ Silverchair vibes from it. I dig it.

Edit: And almost Deftones/Smashing Pumpkins-ish.

March 24 (album release date) is here, and no download for pledgers...... I usually don't complain but this is LAME and WEAK, I'll be thinking twice before pledging next time seriously.....

This has happened before with other crowdfunding campaigns.

Not right at all. Pledgers should not only get the download first - before review sites imo....but also get the physical cd before release date.

Ps...i didnt do the SP crowdfund.

March 24 (album release date) is here, and no download for pledgers...... I usually don't complain but this is LAME and WEAK, I'll be thinking twice before pledging next time seriously.....

Not right at all. Pledgers should not only get the download first - before review sites imo....but also get the physical cd before release date.

Yeah I've only had good experiences so far, recently with Vain or for the last Steel Panther album 3 years ago when I got the download 2 days earlier I think.

But after realizing the album stinks I'm no longer mad about it. Listened to the tracks a bit and wanted to burn a CD of the album for the car but didn't even do that. Listened to White Widdow on my way to work this morning instead :D

Bottom line, I think 2 or 3 tracks off this new record might be a nice addition for future live shows but that's it

Yeah I've only had good experiences so far, recently with Vain or for the last Steel Panther album 3 years ago when I got the download 2 days earlier I think.

But after realizing the album stinks I'm no longer mad about it. Listened to the tracks a bit and wanted to burn a CD of the album for the car but didn't even do that. Listened to White Widdow on my way to work this morning instead :D

Bottom line, I think 2 or 3 tracks off this new record might be a nice addition for future live shows but that's it

The only one ive done is Johnny Lima and i think i got that CD after release date lol. Not funny really.

Ive not listened to SP yet properly. Just skipped through this morning. Sounded v ordinary and not v funny.

A lot of folk have stated they would like a straight album from these guys but this just reinforces my thoughts that no...i dont want that at all.

Please bring back Tiger Woods, Asian Hooker and Gold Digging Whore.

How sad. I trust you guys enough to believe this will be poor. I'll listen asap, but I am saddened. :(

Seeing the album is called Lower The Bar....we should have expected a drop in quality. To be honest I had a feeling the lyrics and the jokes would grow old, but I never imagined a drop in musical quality...so sad to hear.

Hoping the next one is called The Rising and they return to form. I can just imagine the cover art for an album called The Rising from Steel Panther.

In spite of what I wrote, I won't write the new album off just yet. When I had a listen I was drunk and it was very late (whether that helped or not, I don't know hahaha) but I will give it a fair chance when I get home tonight and see how I feel about it.

Got the autorip of this today and it sounds fine to me,not as instant or indeed good as previous output but still pretty good fun,repeated spins have it growing...no pun intended ;)