Steel Panther - Lower the Bar

All Nights Reserved

I can already tell this will be a 10 song album for me cause I'll skip the last track (the Cheap Trick cover) or burn a CD without that song on it. Other than that I like the 2 songs they released so far and think this could be a fun album if the rest of the tracks deliver as well

I don't know why but I didn't like ''All You Can Eat'' that much and never reach for it except maybe a song or two I'll spin every now and then. The 2 songs off the new one have been rather short so maybe that's what they need to stick to, short songs to the point and no excess fat so it doesn't get boring

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad to see Steel Panther slowly slipping away in terms of song quality.

I think the first album remains the strongest, second one is slightly weaker but still a very good album, and then the third is starting to veer off the track, let's just hope the fourth one can bounce back to where they started.

If there is any significant decline in quality, I appear to have missed it. ;)

I absolutely loved the last album. Contains a few of my favourite SP songs.

My thoughts on these 2 issues also :)

It's sad to see Steel Panther slowly slipping away in terms of song quality.

I think the first album remains the strongest, second one is slightly weaker but still a very good album, and then the third is starting to veer off the track, let's just hope the fourth one can bounce back to where they started.

Agreed. The last one was just an average album compared to the first two. And it makes me sad every time I think of it. Honestly, bring back the balls, dudes.

If there is any significant decline in quality, I appear to have missed it. ;)

I absolutely loved the last album. Contains a few of my favourite SP songs.

they keyword is 'few', yeah there are 3 great tracks and the rest ain't bad but sure thing at least 7 tracks are below 8. It's a clearly 75-77% type of album, and I still throw around 85% for the second album, so it's a 10% down swing and I'm not surprised if the fourth album is gonna be rated around 70-75%, they're on a steady decline.

I'm quite tired of their jokes to be honest, I mean, after three albums, it's getting too monotonous. To be comedic is fun but not everything should involved sex, a lot of topics can be covered I guess. I can still accept if they still want to play in that territory, musically they're still top notch as usual, but the arrangement, hooks, and everything, at least needs to match the first two, in my opinion :)

What I was saying earlier in this thread.

And I wasn't bagging them, if there's a market, great. Go for it. Make some money.

There will come a time when many others follow me and become disinterested and not bother too much.

If they drop the smut, they will at least get a couple more albums out and maybe turn the tide a bit.

This will happen at some point, and it probably isn't yet, but hopefully they don't leave it too late...

Bukake Tears > Just Like Tiger Woods

Imho

The best track from each of those releases.

All You Can Eat was more melodic and had more depth...musically than either of the first two releases. Feel The Steel for the most the part was imitating classic bands and sounds, Balls Out was aggressive and had short to the point tracks.

Every album has about 4-5 killer tracks and the rest being ok, not really filler but just ok tracks.

I think Gold Digging Whore is my fav from Balls out.

However, I do agree with your assessment.

Most of Feel The Steel is excellent but they were cloning other bands sound & songs to such a degree that it almost feels like a cover album.

Balls Out was far more individual to Steel Panther....and pretty consistent with only a couple of fillers (supersonic sex machine and I like Drugs).

All You Can Eat is probably slightly weaker overall but still has I would say at least 4 or 5 killer songs which would always bring me back to listen to the album (I'm not that keen on Pussy Whipped, but would play through after that without skipping)

I find the schtick entertaining and brilliant on many levels mostly the sexist pig level but hey it is what we all are thinking.

I wish they would do some more of those old time videos where they played with a hammered Kelly Clarkson or Sully or Avril Lavigne I thought all that to be quite fun and those live performances are begging for a proper recording not cell phone bs.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching SP live on Facebook and enjoying it.

What they do live is exceptional. They are in Hollywood and it's much more laid back than when I saw them in Melbourne.

Godsmack drummer Sully and Eagles Of Death Metal bass player up on stage

Jeffrey Ross sand a couple of songs terribly.

Playing lots of covers and samples etc.

Good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely missing something - its just not a very clever song - what I like about Steel Panther is they normally come up with a really funny angle, like Bukkake Tears or Old Folks Home......this just seems like a pretty decent straight ahead rock song and not that funny.

Hey ho....perhaps the joke has finally run its course.

I always defended these guys and held my hand up to say I would admit if their new music didn't hit their high standard. This doesn't.

Definitely missing something - its just not a very clever song - what I like about Steel Panther is they normally come up with a really funny angle, like Bukkake Tears or Old Folks Home......this just seems like a pretty decent straight ahead rock song and not that funny.

Hey ho....perhaps the joke has finally run its course.

I always defended these guys and held my hand up to say I would admit if their new music didn't hit their high standard. This doesn't.

Agreed! Kinda lame.

I like the new song... Right up until he starts singing. The riff and drums are tight but the vocal melody really drags it down

Yup. Agree with that too.

A friend of mine said it perfectly, "He's got a voice that will grow old real fast."

I like the new song... Right up until he starts singing. The riff and drums are tight but the vocal melody really drags it down

Yup. Agree with that too.

A friend of mine said it perfectly, "He's got a voice that will grow old real fast."

Harsh .

I think his voice is usually excellent....esp on ballads.