Darkstone

Cover songs

Was just listening to Warrants version of We Will Rock You yesterday and thinking it's one of the best covers.

They completed what I always considered an incomplete song.

Anyone who tried to tell you the original version is in any way shape or form better than Warrant's version would be a sentimental fool. I die-hard Queen tragic. For me, the original is a bit of nothingness... fast forward to Warrant's version and it is just a monster of a song. Possibly one of my all-time favourite cover songs. So good.

Wow, I didn't know that Soft Cell hadn't written 'Tainted Love' either. The original by Gloria Jones is equally as good

Plus that Cyndi Lauper track!

I wonder if the original artists like it or hate it when songs they've written get 'taken over' by other bands? I suppose that'd be another one that if you asked 100 artists who it had happened to would return you 100 different answers :taz:

On the one hand I bet there'd be those who were just happy their music was getting heard while others might resent it (especially if a band made a fortune from it and the original didn't get a fair cut of the profits).

Also makes me wonder how many other songs I love actually have alternative original versions that I was never aware of.

Don't forget that Ace also done a version of "hide your heart".

Was just listening to Warrants version of We Will Rock You yesterday and thinking it's one of the best covers.

Anyone who tried to tell you the original version is in any way shape or form better than Warrant's version would be a sentimental fool. I die-hard Queen tragic. For me, the original is a bit of nothingness... fast forward to Warrant's version and it is just a monster of a song. Possibly one of my all-time favourite cover songs. So good.

I'm kind of surprised that I didn't cop any shit for my comment.

Normally when I say that all the Queen die hards come out and rip away.

For the record, I'm a huge Queen fan, just able to recognise when something is done better, and the original of that song is very early days, and even a bit experimental, or perhaps a sample they didn't quite know what to do with.

Like Bohemian Rhapsody which was the union of 3 songs that Freddie couldn't quite make something of individually.

A good example of a song that was never complete and was covered and turned into a real song is below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlptWs2Kxgo

One of my absolute favorite cover song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-s2CGRJdfg

That was pretty cool.

Reminder me of an amazing cover by Dee Snider

For me it 'finished' the song that I always thought kinda went nowhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlptWs2Kxgo

Great cover and great video to go with it!

Just recently discovered these guys.

They have two albums full of pop song covers.

Very operatic. Good stuff.

Oooohhh am so gonna give them a listen Darkstone! Brothers in arms cover and Take on Me (I assume the Aha song) should be interesting!

Its a good cover but that Queen song was only ever written for crowd participation. The fact it is only basically half a song is irrelevant because it was always used as a lead into another song live....like this -

https://youtu.be/ri97Sk8Gw3s

Have to just add...watching that vid gave me goosebumps remembering Queen live. We Are The Champs must stand as the greatest song ive ever seen live. Just incredible atmosphere. Talk about commanding 80000 people live. Incredible.

Oooohhh am so gonna give them a listen Darkstone! Brothers in arms cover and Take on Me (I assume the Aha song) should be interesting!

Yeah, i noticed it was your fave song.

This version isn't as good as the original, but it's still ok.

The Lionel Ritchie cover is great.

I referred to this one in my OP, but that was when i hadn't figured out how to post vids.

Thought i may as well post it now. It's a ripper!

I referred to this one in my OP, but that was when i hadn't figured out how to post vids.

Thought i may as well post it now. It's a ripper!

Wow, now that was a cover definitely worth doing!

Do you like this cover of Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection' by Merrymouth?

Here is a nice cover from a new band. Certainly for those who enjoy modern rock however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIynyHwuZwc

Can't say i'm very familiar with much of "The Stone Roses" work.

I just checked out the original, but neither that or this "Merrymouth" version is really my cup of tea i'm afraid.

Do you like this cover of Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection' by Merrymouth?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIynyHwuZwc

I just checked out the original, but neither that or this "Merrymouth" version is really my cup of tea i'm afraid.

Ah, but are you a tea drinker?

Do you like this cover of Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection' by Merrymouth?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIynyHwuZwc

Yeah, what kind of tea?

Yeah, what kind of tea?

I am a tea drinker actually. Not that i have a cup of tea very often, but if given the choice between tea or coffee i'd go with tea everytime. Never been a coffee drinker at all, which i'm glad of when i see the amount of money the guys i work with spend on it. I don't know what it's like in the UK and Canada, but down here the price and pretentiousness of coffee has gotten a bit out of hand.

All of a sudden somebody who works at a coffe shop is called a "Barista" and god help you if you offer somebody instant coffee. I have friends who have spent thousands on fancy cafe style coffee machines who are horrified when they visit and i pull out the old "Nescafe Blend 43". Now that's a man's coffee.

Here is one that kind of threw me and obviously as the song implies I too turned Japanese watching. Kirsten Dunst= :tits:

Here is one that kind of threw me and obviously as the song implies I too turned Japanese watching. Kirsten Dunst= :tits:

https://youtu.be/C0X3CLJVMJU

That's amazing mate. I saw this for the first time yesterday and was thinking of posting it myself tonight.

BTW, does anybody know what The Vapors were referring to when they used the phrase "Turning Japanese" in the song?

Lets just say that Kirsten Dunst has been responsible for turning me japanese on several occasions.

"One of the more misinterpreted songs of all time, word was that "Turning Japanese" refers to the Asian facial features people get at the moment of climax during masturbation. In a VH1 True Spin special, they asked The Vapors about this song, and they explained that it is a love song about someone who lost their girlfriend and was going slowly crazy. Lead singer Dave Fenton said: "Turning Japanese is all the clichés about angst and youth and turning into something you didn't expect to." It was inspired by Fenton's relationship problems."

"One of the more misinterpreted songs of all time, word was that "Turning Japanese" refers to the Asian facial features people get at the moment of climax during masturbation. In a VH1 True Spin special, they asked The Vapors about this song, and they explained that it is a love song about someone who lost their girlfriend and was going slowly crazy. Lead singer Dave Fenton said: "Turning Japanese is all the clichés about angst and youth and turning into something you didn't expect to." It was inspired by Fenton's relationship problems."

I still like to think it's a song about fapping.

What can i say, i'm a romantic.

Yeah, what kind of tea?

I am a tea drinker actually. Not that i have a cup of tea very often, but if given the choice between tea or coffee i'd go with tea everytime. Never been a coffee drinker at all, which i'm glad of when i see the amount of money the guys i work with spend on it. I don't know what it's like in the UK and Canada, but down here the price and pretentiousness of coffee has gotten a bit out of hand.

All of a sudden somebody who works at a coffe shop is called a "Barista" and god help you if you offer somebody instant coffee. I have friends who have spent thousands on fancy cafe style coffee machines who are horrified when they visit and i pull out the old "Nescafe Blend 43". Now that's a man's coffee.

Ah there's plenty of coffee pretentiousness here too for sure!

What kind of tea Karpetface? Well not the dodgy kind :wizard: