Rebuying my movie collection for the eleventieth time...

heavyharmonies

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

the only Blurays we buy are for the kids.........like Disney / Pixar etc.

I can't speak on Disney, as I don't believe I've ever seen one on Blu-ray, but anime is a must on Blu-ray. The colours are so much more vibrant.

Also, I can never say Blu-ray without thinking of Peter Kay. Heh.

The only DVDs I've bought in the last 3 years have been 3 'Paw Patrol' DVDs and 2 'Thomas The Tank Engine' ones...

The only DVDs I've bought in the last 3 years have been 3 'Paw Patrol' DVDs and 2 'Thomas The Tank Engine' ones...

Haha, oh man, my oldest son loved, loved LOVED "Thomas the Tank Engine" when he was small... we had a ton of the videos/DVDs/toys ... of course he's 13 now and won't admit he ever liked the show cuz he's too cool for such things. :rofl2:

I gotta say though, I was kinda glad when my younger boy never caught the "Thomas" bug, cuz by the time his big brother was through with that phase I never wanted to hear any of those stupid train songs ever again... hahaha

• My Little Pony

Haha, oh man, my oldest son loved, loved LOVED "Thomas the Tank Engine" when he was small... we had a ton of the videos/DVDs/toys ... of course he's 13 now and won't admit he ever liked the show cuz he's too cool for such things. :rofl2:

I gotta say though, I was kinda glad when my younger boy never caught the "Thomas" bug, cuz by the time his big brother was through with that phase I never wanted to hear any of those stupid train songs ever again... hahaha

I can imagine.

It's why you gotta choose the shows your kids watch, carefully. I heard Paw Patrol isn't so bad.

It's funny how things change so quickly. Lord knows I love movies (my constant entries in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread here should be ample proof) but I have never been as fanatical about collecting them as I am with CDs. I guess cuz aside from certain personal favorite films I've never been in the habit of watching the same movies over and over again. Even with those personal faves I can often go several years between repeat viewings. 99 times out of 100 I'd rather watch something that I've never seen before.

I pretty much have the same view. I see no point in buying most movies. I can go years without watching the same movie again. After buying a bunch of movies and watching them collect dust I learned my lesson. Now I only buy if it's something I know I will come back to again later. Things like anime and old shows such as The Rebel.

Haha yeah Paw Patrol is popular at my place too my daughter loves it! Not available on 4K Ultra HD though ?

Seriously though and more on topic, I can definitely notice a difference between DVD and Blue-Ray especially on my music DVDs - look at the the extra detail of the instruments and peoples faces. As for the 4K / HD etc. I can't really comment because I'm not even sure that I've seen one. But most likely not for me as I'm not too picky with video quality.

I can imagine.

It's why you gotta choose the shows your kids watch, carefully. I heard Paw Patrol isn't so bad.

'Paw Patrol' is fine. My boy never really watched much TV at all for most of his first 2 years, but he's kind of obsesses with Paw Patrol on his 3rd birthday just passed. For the happiness it brings him, I honestly couldn't care less what affect it has on me, haha. But yeah, it's fine. It's more interesting than others I've seen. He liked 'Fireman Sam' which was okay too, and 'Thomas the tank engine,' as noted, which is kinda banal, but okay. 'Bananas in Pyjamas' was pretty weak - seriously, how dumb are those bananas?!

wait until they get to about 8 or 9 yrs old and they start watching all the dreadful American shite on Nickelodian

:(

I have my awesome 'Ren & Stimpy' DVDs (and yes, they're going to stay as DVDs) all lined up for their formative years. I'm actually worried about the girl, though. What if she watched something like 'My Little Pony' or something about fairies? What do girls watch? Justin, you say your girl loves 'Paw Patrol?' There's hope yet, I guess. I can't see her ever relaxing for 2 seconds to watch TV, though...

• My Little Pony

wait until they get to about 8 or 9 yrs old and they start watching all the dreadful American shite on Nickelodian

:(

You need to shut that shit down.

Thomas the Tank Engine is way creepier now that they've dropped the wooden models that were the show's trademark for years 'n' years and went to full-on CGI animation.

As much as "Thomas" may have irritated me when my son was small and he was watching it seventeen hours a day (I may be exaggerating slightly, but it sure felt like that much, haha) I had to admit that I was always impressed with all those super detailed landscapes, buildings, sets and models. I can only imagine how many hours and hours of workmanship that must've gone into building all that stuff. I'm sure that's why they changed to full animation (cheaper and less time consuming) but as a result the show has lost its charming old-world "look."

I noticed recently while flipping channels that Bob the Builder has had a makeover too, he and his friends don't have those giant cartoon bobble heads anymore, they look more like "real" humans. Again, the effect is rather creepy.

I'm glad my kids have aged out of the demographic for both shows!!

Thomas the Tank Engine is way creepier now that they've dropped the wooden models that were the show's trademark for years 'n' years and went to full-on CGI animation.

As much as "Thomas" may have irritated me when my son was small and he was watching it seventeen hours a day (I may be exaggerating slightly, but it sure felt like that much, haha) I had to admit that I was always impressed with all those super detailed landscapes, buildings, sets and models. I can only imagine how many hours and hours of workmanship that must've gone into building all that stuff. I'm sure that's why they changed to full animation (cheaper and less time consuming) but as a result the show has lost its charming old-world "look."

Haha, different generations, hey? My boy has only ever known this new modern version of Thomas the Tank Engine. I was in a random second hand shop just before his third birthday and found two 'Thomas the tank engine' DVDs for next to nothing, so I thought "Cool, he'll love this!"

Gave them to him for his birthday and we put them on the other day and they're the really old school ones you mention up there. He kind of watches it for a while, I think more intrigued than anything... but he doesn't last long. Soon enough he wants the new 'modern' version. :lol: I guess kids these days will not really know anything else.

Haha, different generations, hey? My boy has only ever known this new modern version of Thomas the Tank Engine. I was in a random second hand shop just before his third birthday and found two 'Thomas the tank engine' DVDs for next to nothing, so I thought "Cool, he'll love this!"

Gave them to him for his birthday and we put them on the other day and they're the really old school ones you mention up there. He kind of watches it for a while, I think more intrigued than anything... but he doesn't last long. Soon enough he wants the new 'modern' version. :lol: I guess kids these days will not really know anything else.

Did you ever watch Tugs? Man, i loved Tugs.

Nah, never heard of it. Does it have anything to do with pugs?

• My Little Pony

Nah, never heard of it. Does it have anything to do with pugs?

Shit. Nobody wants to see the two of you tug your pugs.

Back on topic... While I did enjoy watching / buying VHS tapes when I was younger and later on DVDs to a certain extent (because basically that was the only way to watch them), I'm really glad most movies and shows are available online these days.

While I'm all for buying music physically, I really welcome the most recent developments that have taken place in the movie industry. Might seem contradictory but I really like that we have Youtube, Netflix and all that stuff available. Guess I just feel a much stronger connection to music than I do with movies which is why CDs taking up space at home doesn't bother me like DVDs, Blu Rays etc do

Guess I just feel a much stronger connection to music than I do with movies which is why CDs taking up space at home doesn't bother me like DVDs, Blu Rays etc do

Another part of the equation, in my opinion, is that there have been far fewer music formats than video formats in the last 30 years.

CDs first came about in 1982 (1983 really, as far as being accessible) effectively replacing vinyl and cassette on a wide-scale basis, and other than a few niche formats incorporating surround sound and/or higher bitrates (SACD, DVD-Audio), CD is still "the" physical format for music.

In that same time period for video:

VHS

Laserdisc

DVD

HD-DVD

Blu-Ray

and now 4K Blu-Ray

People have had to re-buy movies several times as formats come and go, something that we really haven't had to deal with on the music side, other than physical media going away completely for some releases. Yes, vinyl has been making a resurgence over the last 5 years, but it is still niche as far as quantities and releases.

Back on topic... While I did enjoy watching / buying VHS tapes when I was younger and later on DVDs to a certain extent (because basically that was the only way to watch them), I'm really glad most movies and shows are available online these days.

While I'm all for buying music physically, I really welcome the most recent developments that have taken place in the movie industry. Might seem contradictory but I really like that we have Youtube, Netflix and all that stuff available. Guess I just feel a much stronger connection to music than I do with movies which is why CDs taking up space at home doesn't bother me like DVDs, Blu Rays etc do

I agree that I love the ease of digital movies these days. The thing with a hard copy movie collection, compared to a music collection, is that how often do you actually watch and re-watch movies? Unless you're one of these freaks who has seen his favourite movie 10-20 times or something, I'm sure 95% of us watch a movie once and then consistently watch a new one next time, and next time etc. Only returning to your favourite movies every couple of years or so.

But comparing a CD to a DVD is a huge difference. Most people would listen to a CD more times in one month than you'd watch 99% of single DVDs in an entire lifetime.

I can see that it's a little different for dudes without kids and stuff, but even when I was single and kidless there's only so much time you can actually be bothered to sit down and watch movies for too often. ;)

My (rather huge, to be honest) DVD collection makes me laugh. I have bought hard copies of most movies I love (as at about 5-10 years ago) and I have a look at my DVD collection now and I am not shitting you, 70% of the actual DVDs are still wrapped in plastic. I think I've seen no more than five movies in my entire life two times. I always intend to watch my favourite movies again, but always opt for a new movie if and when the opportunity to watch a movie arises.

I know I've been meaning to watch 'Revolutionary Road' again since I first saw it. That was about a decade ago... still haven't seen it again. :(

As others have mentioned, I have a hard time justifying the purchase of movies in any format since you rarely rewatch them, unlike music where you listen on a regular basis.....also you can download just about any film you want and watch it immediately....

I haven't bought a movie on DVD or Blu Ray in a couple of years now!

A week after after posting this I actually bought my first DVD in a while... I was at the Dollar General store and found the '82 cult classic "The Beastmaster" on a cheap sh*t 4-film "Fantasy Collector's Set" compilation for three bucks. I hadn't seen it in dog years so I couldn't pass it up! :rofl2:

So I guess I should rephrase my earlier comment as "I only buy a movie on DVD or Blu Ray if I get it super friggin cheap." :D

• My Little Pony

I haven't bought a movie on DVD or Blu Ray in a couple of years now!

A week after after posting this I actually bought my first DVD in a while... I was at the Dollar General store and found the '82 cult classic "The Beastmaster" on a cheap sh*t 4-film "Fantasy Collector's Set" compilation for three bucks. I hadn't seen it in dog years so I couldn't pass it up! :rofl2:

So I guess I should rephrase my earlier comment as "I only buy a movie on DVD or Blu Ray if I get it super friggin cheap." :D

It baffles me how a film buff, such as yourself, can stand to watch the majority of his films through a medium as shitty as FaceTubes. Granted, you do watch a lot of films that probably aren't so easily accessible on other formats, but still.