Rebuying my movie collection for the eleventieth time...

heavyharmonies

It baffles me how a film buff, such as yourself, can stand to watch the majority of his films through a medium as shitty as FaceTubes. Granted, you do watch a lot of films that probably aren't so easily accessible on other formats, but still.

Yep, that's exactly it... there are lots of off the wall '60s/'70s/'80s grindhouse/cult films on YouTube that aren't available thru legit DVD or other sources. Believe it or not the picture quality on most of them is surprisingly good, even on my widescreen TV ...it depends what kind of source copy they're uploading from, of course, and there have been a few that were so dark/scratchy/pixelated that I quit on 'em after a couple of minutes but most have been at least watchable.

Besides, these are not movies I'm gonna watch again and again, they're one-shots and done. Perfect example: a couple of weeks ago I watched "Cyborg 2" (Angelina Jolie's first film from 1993) on YouTube. It was a straight to video release back then and it never turns up on TV nowadays. I'd always wanted to see it and yeah, I *could* go on Amazon and buy the DVD for six bucks, but why should I bother when there's a nice widescreen print of it on YouTube that I can watch for nothin'? I don't care if it's got Greek sub-titles running along the bottom, the price is right! :lol:

Not to mention, I grew up in the VHS era so I'm used to less than perfect picture quality ... if I'm watchin' an old 1970s Italian zombie movie that looks like it was uploaded from a washed out old rental tape that was played a thousand times, it just increases the nostalgic vibe!! :rofl2:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still own LD player and quite few Laser discs for it (90% are music related, LOL). Beyond that I have few DVDs and Blu-rays. Had plenty of VHS, but trashed them all last month when moving to the new house. Eventho both our TVs have 4K capabilities, I don't see myself buying 4K player anytime soon. Just like Freddo if I ever watch anything on the TV it is via Netflix or Amazon Prime, and it is usually from the 80's so I'm quite okay with the streaming quality.

But yeah, US internet speeds are the worst I've seen. My mom's $10/mo LAN internet in Europe (yes, it is an actual LAN network, with rooftop cables to the provider, haha!) is about 4-times faster than the $60+ Xfinity net I have here (bottle-necked upload speeds and numerous throttle protocols among other things).

• My Little Pony

I still own LD player and quite few Laser discs for it (90% are music related, LOL). Beyond that I have few DVDs and Blu-rays.

I don't think I've ever even seen a laserdisc. That was such a short lived phase. And way too expensive for my family.

I still own LD player and quite few Laser discs for it (90% are music related, LOL). Beyond that I have few DVDs and Blu-rays.

I don't think I've ever even seen a laserdisc. That was such a short lived phase. And way too expensive for my family.

Oh you youngsters... ;)

1978-2000 is hardly short-lived. In the '80s and early '90s laserdisc was THE goto format for cinephiles. I remember stores in the area doing laserdisc rental, Camelot Music had a laserdisc section, and there were even stores dedicated solely to the sale of laserdiscs.

CAV vs. CLV... flippers...

I still have a couple of Pioneer Laserdisc players sitting in a closet somewhere. Haven't hooked them up in years.

Oh you youngsters... ;)

1978-2000 is hardly short-lived. In the '80s and early '90s laserdisc was THE goto format for cinephiles. I remember stores in the area doing laserdisc rental, Camelot Music had a laserdisc section, and there were even stores dedicated solely to the sale of laserdiscs.

I still have a couple of Pioneer Laserdisc players sitting in a closet somewhere. Haven't hooked them up in years.

Oh yes I had one it was early one to were you had to actually flip the LD to play the content.

There is/was a store here in Washington that was the size of your local market that was called Silver Platters and it had 80% laser discs and 20% compact discs.

Amazed how much $$$ we spent on VHS and LD and even DVD before everything got so throw away and cheap.

I was just telling my wife as we were looking to take the children (4 of us) to see Star Wars while it is still on the bigscreen and she showed me the movie times and price. It would cost us $61 dollars to see this movie in the theater. The same price for us in a couple of weeks to go to Costco buy a BluRay player and the Blu Ray and watch the damn film forever and ever...Just illogical.

Also my son and I were up North a few weeks back and we hit a couple of Pawn Xchanges (the go to places for my CD buying before they stopped taking them in and selling them for $.49 a piece) they had racks and racks of both DVD's ($1,.00 each) and Blu Ray ($3.00) each. For both mediums they had a massive sale on top of that. DVD 8 for $5.00 and BluRay 6 for $10! VHS tapes are a dime!

Oh you youngsters... ;)

I joined the LD scene a bit late, after inheriting a bunch of discs from a roommate and buying a player just to check 'em out sometime in the early 00s. I got the player from a friend who used to work for SONY, so it turned out to be a top of the line, which was quite cool. I've bought quite a few music LDs ever since. There is a Japanese dude on eBay who is selling quite interesting Jap LDs from time to time, for very decent "buy it now" prices. I just dig the format, it is an LP-sized CD basically, haha

Otherwise I still own bunch of odd-format players, including Betamax and Hi8

• My Little Pony

Oh you youngsters... ;)

Damn. Really? I had no idea. Clearly. I guess I only knew about it for such a short period of my life. And, yeah, because I'm so young. ;}

Probably also due to it not being very popular in my town, which was probably due to it being so expensive. So, if it was around for 22 years, why was it still such an expensive format?