What if.....

...Vince Neil and Motley stayed together and recorded an album in the mould of Primal Scream?

...Patty Smyth (from Scandal) had said yes and replaced DLR in Van Halen?

...Coverdale was easy to work with and we got a proper Sykes follow up to 1987?

...Axl wasn't such a wanker with so many issues?

...There was no smells like teen spirit?

...Randy Rhoads never got on that plane?

...Ray Gillen never slept with that man or woman?

...Bon Scott never got drunk that night?

...Dave and Cliff were both in Metallica through the 80s and early 90s.

others???

What if Don Dokken and George Lynch could bear to be in the same room together?

What if John Bonham didn't enjoy his alcohol quite so much?

What if Marc Bolan had walked home?

...Vince Neil and Motley stayed together and recorded an album in the mould of Primal Scream?

...Patty Smyth (from Scandal) had said yes and replaced DLR in Van Halen?

...Coverdale was easy to work with and we got a proper Sykes follow up to 1987?

...Axl wasn't such a wanker with so many issues?

...There was no smells like teen spirit?

...Randy Rhoads never got on that plane?

...Ray Gillen never slept with that man or woman?

...Bon Scott never got drunk that night?

...Dave and Cliff were both in Metallica through the 80s and early 90s.

others???

I would've loved to hear a whole Motley album in the vein of 'Primal Scream'!

Randy Rhoads would've been sacked somewhere along the line ... I'm sure Shazza would've seen to THAT!

If Bon was still with us, at least we'd know the answer to how much of Back in Black was written while he was still alive!

Can you imagine Metallica playing some of the tunes that Mustaine came up with in the 80s and early 90s?

What if Don Dokken and George Lynch could bear to be in the same room together?

... yeah, what if Dokken had stayed together and released studio albums in 1989, 1991 and 1993 with that line-up of Dokken, Lynch, Pilson and Brown?

... Poison recorded a full studio album in 1992 in the style of 'No more lookin' back,' 'So tell me why' and 'Only time will tell,' with CC, of course?

I usually have SO many of these going around in my head, but hard to think on the spot. I think the biggest one for me personally is how much I'd love to have heard that 4th Poison album.

... Friction's 'Baby Talk' was released on a big label with a big label production job?

... Robert Ernlund stayed with Treat and they released an album with the 'Organized Crime' line-up in 1991?

What if Steel Pather had good lyrics?

That would be weird. At the moment they have brilliant lyrics and are thus a brilliant band. It'd be weird if they just had boring "good" lyrics and were just another hard rock band. ;)

Man this is a massive subject!

Although i promised myself when i was very young that i must move with the times (i refused to act like me parents and say things like "it's just noise" and "in my day...") i do wonder how music would have turned out without grunge. I learnt to embrace change as i grew older and i do appreciate some tunes that came from the Seattle scene but man the glam/hair metal/melodic rock scene was so happening before grunge hit.

one for more recent times..........what if :

Serafino Perugino hadnt founded Frontiers in 1996 ??!

[basically held our small genre together for the last 10 years]

To their credit, MTM were as big a; if not a bigger presence at that time. Shame they couldn't keep the dream alive.

The one that resonates most with me is "What if..." Andrew Wood would not have relapsed and OD'd on the crest of the release of the epic Apple album (or obviously if he still was alive period).

We would have no Pearl Jam for one.

And who knows how the "Seattle scene" would have unfolded with the arena rock/glam stylings of Wood and MLB in the mix...

https://youtu.be/3cK8dZ0EZI8

https://youtu.be/NmT30Q2IYTk

Mother-Love-Bone.jpg

And in the same ilk or at least regionally, what if LAyne Staley would'nt have OD'd. I know Alice In Chains wasn't up to much at the time, but I wonder what music he might be making...

And, even though his death overshadows everyone else' in the greater Seattle area and he is credited with the downfall of "our" music, but one could wonder what Kurt Cobain would be up too? We certainly wouldn't have the Foo Fighters? Or would have Grohl done that stuff eventually anyway?

That would be weird. At the moment they have brilliant lyrics and are thus a brilliant band. It'd be weird if they just had boring "good" lyrics and were just another hard rock band. ;)

Ha yeah I knew that would be an unpopular statement, but for me it's true...I can't get past the lyrics on their albums.

Ha yeah I knew that would be an unpopular statement, but for me it's true...I can't get past the lyrics on their albums.

I thought I was alone around here with that opinion. I love the music but the lyrics make me cringe. It turns them from a legit rock band into a woman-repelling novelty.

I thought I was alone around here with that opinion. I love the music but the lyrics make me cringe. It turns them from a legit rock band into a woman-repelling novelty.

doesnt seem to repell them at their gigs lol!!

I think its widely accepted that the lyrical content is just 'for fun'.

Personally I find their lyrics hilarious and love their songs.

All 3 of their albums have been splendid examples of perfectly executed melodic hard rock.

doesnt seem to repell them at their gigs lol!!

I think its widely accepted that the lyrical content is just 'for fun'.

Personally I find their lyrics hilarious and love their songs.

All 3 of their albums have been splendid examples of perfectly executed melodic hard rock.

Great music and the lyrics make me laugh...they are todays Spinal Tap....although much better musically....

• 2 weeks later...

What if... RATT had recorded a full album after releasing ''Nobody Rides For Free'' in 91 or 92?

That's something I think about every once in a while. Although it would be more appropriate to say what if RATT had been forced to record...

What if... RATT had recorded a full album after releasing ''Nobody Rides For Free'' in 91 or 92?

That's something I think about every once in a while. Although it would be more appropriate to say what if RATT had been forced to record...

Would have been awesome, along the lines of Motley releasing an album after the greatest hits in the style of Primal Scream.

... Tuff were signed in 1985/1986 and released 3 or so albums before 'What comes around goes around.'

... PBF got the label backing to release their second album.

... Roxus had released their still-shelved second release, which I'm still dying to hear.

... Roxx Gang released a second album in 1990 (and a third in 1992!).

What did actually happen with Roxx Gang after their debut? Did they get dropped by Virgin? No other label interest? Did they split up before a second album was considered? Such a waste that there was only the one great disc and every other piece of shit after that has used the Roxx Gang name has only done layers of damage to the memory of that gem.

... PBF got the label backing to release their second album.

I think we are all glad they didnt ;-)

Have you heard the 'Tonight belongs to the young' sessions? Would have been a killer disc. That title track alone is amazing.

... Roxx Gang released a second album in 1990 (and a third in 1992!).

What did actually happen with Roxx Gang after their debut? Did they get dropped by Virgin? No other label interest? Did they split up before a second album was considered? Such a waste that there was only the one great disc and every other piece of shit after that has used the Roxx Gang name has only done layers of damage to the memory of that gem.

Good question. There isn't much info out there other than infighting and record label issues. Somebody somewhere knows

Agree

Agree also. I'll take "boring" lyrics over" Fuck, cunt, asshole, cock, cum", any day of the week. Music is great, vocals are cool lyrics not so much.