GUNS AND ROSES PATHETIC

Leykis101

As I was flipping through channels the other night, I came upon the station called Axe, I believe it stands for Access or something like that, anyways it's an entertainment, concerts, live events, etc station, and as far as I know is broadcast everywhere, I have DirectTV, so I know it's on DTV, if it's not on any other system. then few of you will even know what im talking about, but if you do know, then you know what im saying, this station shows concerts, straight through, no commercials, or editing, well I stopped as a concert was about to start that kind of caught me off guard, it was Guns & Roses, it said it was from 2014, but I wasnt aware that the band was even around anymore, so I figured it must be like one of their old arena shows, that they released on DVD, or cleaned up and made HD, and released, but it was obviously from 2014, and I was a little interested, until I realized, I couldnt put a name to not 1 member of the entire band, and I tried to be objective(even though Im a total Slash homer)but this band was absolutely fucking horrid, It was almost like if you didnt know better, you might think that they were intentionally trying to massacre GNR songs, they were just so pathetically bad, I kept watching almost like a car wreck type deal, like I wasnt watching cause I was enjoying, I was watching cause I couldnt quit, cause I just didnt believe what I was hearing, does anyone know what the status is on GNR? is AXL out touring under that name? thats all I could assume, and if he is, I gotta warn you people, DO NOT WASTE ANY MONEY GOING TO WATCH THEM!! cause if thats the type of shit they are playing, and that would be considered their best work, cause their certainly not going to release a concert dvd if its a bad performance, you wouldnt think, oh my god, I fullly understand what Axl means to GNR, but I dont think I fully understood just how much Slash, Duff, Matt, even Gilbey meant to GNR, until then, those guys might as well just never work again, doing GNR shit, if they cannot bury the shit, and do it together, cause it's doing nobody any good with them doing the shit solo.

Yeah the new line up of gnr has done quite a bit of touring over the past couple years. I saw them in 2006 and 2010, Let me tell you the 2006 show was amazing, maybe it was just a good night for them but I was surprised at how good Axl's voice was. But right around 2010 or a year or two later is when things started to go downhill.

I saw the trailer for the new 2014 dvd and thought WHAT THE FXXX!?!?!?! I mean, why would they release this? And what was even more insulting is how they try to make it out to be this huge, amazing thing, dvd of the best concert of all time or something. But some people seem to dig it, I know a couple people that got the DVD and if you check the comments on recent performances or the 2014 dvd trailer opinions are mixed, but there's a good portion of people who still like it. I decided to not go see them in 2012 when I had the chance and don't think I will again, but have fond memories of that 2006 concert

I'm amazed they're still active. Is there any chance in the world they will record a new album again?

Well, actually I've seen them live couple years ago with very low expectation, going there just because it's my first GNR concert after all these years since they never came to my country even once at their peak and guess what, I didn't believe that Axl, with his quite fatty chubby body, can still hit the high notes and they perform flawlessly for over 2 hours, probably almost 3. This new line up definitely not as bad-ass as the classic line up, but they're skillful musician and they sure do their job quite fine.

A year before that, I saw Slash with Myles Kennedy, and I respect Myles as a good singer but he's trying too hard to be 'Axl' and man do I enjoy that Axl's GNR than Slash :D

I'm amazed they're still active. Is there any chance in the world they will record a new album again?

In my opinion, there'll be a new album but not in this couple of years, maybe one in the next 3-4 or 5 years, or maybe one if ever the classic line up get together again.

Axl is a businessman genius, back before 'Chinese Democracy' was released, there are at least 4-5 tracks were leaked to the market, he's testing the water to see the response and simultaneously just giving a big hope to the music industry that GNR is about to release a new album, but the new album never come out until he announced in the late 2007 that GNR's new album is done. This action was 'rewarded' with a 1-million CDs order from Bestbuy if i'm not mistaken and while Bestbuy is eventually struggling to sell em off one by one, Axl walks away with a big pile of cash, not to mention the endless gigs they perform after the release :D

In my opinion, there'll be a new album but not in this couple of years, maybe one in the next 3-4 or 5 years, or maybe one if ever the classic line up get together again.

Axl is a businessman genius, back before 'Chinese Democracy' was released, there are at least 4-5 tracks were leaked to the market, he's testing the water to see the response and simultaneously just giving a big hope to the music industry that GNR is about to release a new album, but the new album never come out until he announced in the late 2007 that GNR's new album is done. This action was 'rewarded' with a 1-million CDs order from Bestbuy if i'm not mistaken and while Bestbuy is eventually struggling to sell em off one by one, Axl walks away with a big pile of cash, not to mention the endless gigs they perform after the release :D

Yeah I think Chinese Democracy didn't sell that well. Question is, will bestbuy or target do the same with the next release or will they be more careful in ordering large amounts of CDs because of bad experience in the past? According to the band members they are working on a new album and will release something, but always said to be patient as well and that it's not gonna be in the near future.

I saw Slash with Myles Kennedy too in 2012 (twice) and both shows were very good. I mean Slash now has an impressive catalogue he can pick from and can play GNR, Snakepit, Velvet Revolver or his own songs so this pretty much guarantees a good setlist every time

GnR's been pathetic since ...

(scratches head)

...sh*t, at least 1989.

If GnR had died in a plane crash on the way home from the "Appetite" tour and left that album as their only legacy, they'd still be revered today. Unfortunately, the increasingly cartoonish antics of W. Asshole Rose f*cked it up.

(scratches head)

...sh*t, at least 1989.

If GnR had died in a plane crash on the way home from the "Appetite" tour and left that album as their only legacy, they'd still be revered today. Unfortunately, the increasingly cartoonish antics of W. Asshole Rose f*cked it up.

It's funny you mention something like that as I was having the discussion in my head the other day about how Dave Leppard and Kurt Cobain will be forever immortalised (within very different circles) because they weren't around long enough to inevitably start releasing garbage, which sadly, every single band seems to do if they're around long enough.

I believe there is some saying about wisdom and age, but there should be a reverse statement for age and musical ability, and how terrible musicians seem to get in their old age. I can't think of an exception off the top of my head. Some not to a degree as others, but it's the same story everywhere.

(scratches head)

...sh*t, at least 1989.

What about the Illusions era and massive tour in support of the albums? Sure, musically it wasn't the same anymore but they would have still ended on a good note because that's when they really took off and were the biggest band in the world. Of course it's just exposure in the media and popularity but I think it still counts for something they were everywhere, TV, radio, news headlines so that should count for something, they were a pop cultural phenomenon during the early 90s

(scratches head)

...sh*t, at least 1989.

What about the Illusions era and massive tour in support of the albums? Sure, musically it wasn't the same anymore but they would have still ended on a good note because that's when they really took off and were the biggest band in the world. Of course it's just exposure in the media and popularity but I think it still counts for something they were everywhere, TV, radio, news headlines so that should count for something, they were a pop cultural phenomenon during the early 90s

You could trim both 'Illusion' albums and make one bona-fide great disc - waaaaaaay too much 'filler' on those discs for me.

I haven't bothered with the band since it became 'Axl And Blokes'. My cousin paid a small fortune for a 'meet 'n' greet' when they played the O2 Arena, and I didn't recognise anyone in the photos (apart from my cousin, obviously.) But, hey, Axl owns the name so he can trash it in whatever way he sees fit ...

(scratches head)

...sh*t, at least 1989.

You could trim both 'Illusion' albums and make one bona-fide great disc - waaaaaaay too much 'filler' on those discs for me.

I haven't bothered with the band since it became 'Axl And Blokes'. My cousin paid a small fortune for a 'meet 'n' greet' when they played the O2 Arena, and I didn't recognise anyone in the photos (apart from my cousin, obviously.) But, hey, Axl owns the name so he can trash it in whatever way he sees fit ...

Sure, one disc would have made a great album (btw I tried to do that once but gave up couldn't decide on which songs and in what order plus there were 3 damn songs I wanted on there that took away 30 minuets of disc time :-) But doesn't the fact they released 2 albums on the same day mean anything? Just because of the ambition / megalomania behind it, like when Kiss released 4 solo albums simultaneously (sure they weren't amazing records but still made history

Yeah I think Chinese Democracy didn't sell that well. Question is, will bestbuy or target do the same with the next release or will they be more careful in ordering large amounts of CDs because of bad experience in the past? According to the band members they are working on a new album and will release something, but always said to be patient as well and that it's not gonna be in the near future.

The reason it didn't sell well because it's a different sounding album than 'Appetite' or 'Illusion'. Usually the moment a band walk away from their early formula, that's when the sales dissipated.

(scratches head)

...sh*t, at least 1989.

Disagree completely mate. With 'Illusion', GNR reached much more audience especially they have 'November Rain' and 'Estranged', among the best songs ever made on earth. 'Illusion' albums were packed with lots of different styles, from punk, heavy metal, blues, pop, etc and one man's trash is another man's treasure. The strategy of providing a lot of tracks, as we've discussed it earlier, usually proved fruitful because many people with different taste will appreciate that.

What Glen and Nightrain are saying is exactly what I meant. Also, the reason for low sales isn't necessarily the change of style but bad sales in general and because they had lost their momentum years ago. Sub-par songs didn't help either so I think it's a combination of all those things

I don't think anyone, especially the current music moguls give a rats ass about axl and guns n rose's. Chinese democracy lost a crap load of money and believing axl is an awesome business man by leaking songs to get feedback just goes to show how insecure and shit he is.

If labels show interest in a new album it will be to get the rights to appetite and use your illusion because they believe they will be popular due to some tie in eg. Lead song from a movie or something.

They will never top AFD though I love Lies and Chinese Democracy. The Illusion albums were crammed with so much filler. I never listen to them. I actually really liked Spaghetti Incident too.

They will never top AFD though I love Lies and Chinese Democracy. The Illusion albums were crammed with so much filler. I never listen to them. I actually really liked Spaghetti Incident too.

The Illusion albums could have been cut down to one pretty killer disc. Way too much garbage on both discs.

I don't think anyone, especially the current music moguls give a rats ass about axl and guns n rose's. Chinese democracy lost a crap load of money and believing axl is an awesome business man by leaking songs to get feedback just goes to show how insecure and shit he is.

If labels show interest in a new album it will be to get the rights to appetite and use your illusion because they believe they will be popular due to some tie in eg. Lead song from a movie or something.

If nobody gives a rats ass about Axl and the new GNR, then no way they became Las Vegas residency and the recently released blu-ray was awarded with 4.5 stars out of 228 customer ratings at Amazon :)

That's just to show how huge Axl is right now and as a well-known asshole, dropping some shows or showing up 3 hours late sometimes yet people still queuing up to see their gig.

And actually, Geffen is still pursuing Axl for the Chinese Democracy. They started to work it by 1994, Geffen gave GNR $1 million up front and then another $1 million so they can finish it by 1999 but nothing's change and they gave up and let Axl do whatever he wants to do lol

And to my surprise, actually this album did well commercially, and probably less-than-expected in US market

This is what I get from wikipedia

Commercial performance

The album was initially released November 22, 2008, in Germany,[56]Switzerland,[57] and Austria.[58] It was released on November 23, 2008, worldwide, except in the United Kingdom on November 24, 2008.[59]Chinese Democracy debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 261,000 copies in its first week, well below expectations.[4][60][61] The album also debuted at #2 on the UK Albums Chart.[62]Chinese Democracy was certified Platinum by the RIAA on February 3, 2009, having shipped one million copies in the United States.[3][63](this is the contract from best-buy I guess)

The album secured an IFPI European Platinum Award, having sold more than one million copies in Europe,[64][65] and had sold 2.6 million units worldwide as of February 2009, according to Universal Music.[63] The album also reached triple platinum certification in Canada, as well as platinum certifications in many other countries, including Finland, the Czech Republic, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.[66] It was certified gold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Hungary, the Netherlands, Sweden, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Brazil, and Colombia.[66] It re-entered the US Billboard 200 again in the week ending April 3, 2011, selling 3,200 copies, enough for the 198th position. At that date, the album had sold 614,000 copies in the US according to Nielsen Soundscan.[67] In the UK, it has sold 365,899 copies as of July 2014.[68]

The Illusion albums could have been cut down to one pretty killer disc. Way too much garbage on both discs.

Two CDs out and they rack up 14 million sales, one CD out probably only 8-9 million copies so there's a big difference there, and apparently, there's also a cut-down version of these albums which was released later, the cover was divided in half, and that only means more sales :D

Two CDs out and they rack up 14 million sales, one CD out probably only 8-9 million copies so there's a big difference there, and apparently, there's also a cut-down version of these albums which was released later, the cover was divided in half, and that only means more sales :D

What really counts is whether or not it stands the test of time...not the sales during that time period. How many Billy Cirus CD's sold of his first release? But would you or anyone else who bought it listen to it now? Bad example I know genre wise but you get the point.

I'll take this opportunity to semi hijack things so I can continue to sing the praises of Chinese Democracy. Absolutely love it and think people are really missing out. Forget Appetite, forget Axl the man, treat it like a solo release & listen to some beautifully crafted songs. My only complaint is it would have benefitted from grittier production. Too much Def Lep high gloss.