Greatest Hits....Really ?

nyoilers

• 2023 Gold Donors

Some groups have put out greatest hits/best of's when they only have one good song .I just listened to Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark-Best of OMD and there was one good song on it !Maybe there were a couple others I could bear to listen to again but 16 songs and 75% of them suck.

Some groups have put out greatest hits/best of's when they only have one good song .I just listened to Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark-Best of OMD and there was one good song on it !Maybe there were a couple others I could bear to listen to again but 16 songs and 75% of them suck.

If you lived in the UK, you'd probably think differently - OMD were MASSIVE here in the 80s. I get the impression they were more of a 'cult' band in the US (a bit like, say, The Smiths.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestral_Manoeuvres_in_the_Dark

I liked a handful of their songs (mainly the stuff from from 1980/81, like 'Enola Gay' and 'Joan Of Arc' ... although 'If You Leave' from the 'Pretty In Pink' soundtrack is a pretty good pop song.) I always preferred the 'darker' synth stuff, like Gary Numan and Japan ....

• 2023 Gold Donors

^^^^ Oh,you'd be surprised.My next one is Oingo Boingo-Best of Boingo.Another band that I heard the song Weird Science from the movie with the same name.17 songs on the CD and that is the best one.Most of the other songs suck.

There are far too many bands out there with 'Greatest Hits' or 'Best Of' collections to their name (some have several - how the hell does THAT work, unless your band happens to be Queen?)

Big difference between "Best Of" and "Greatest Hits."

Yeah, you'd like to think so ... some bands/labels seem to think the terms are interchangeable ...

• 8 months later...

I've always regarded greatest hits releases as something aimed straight at people with a very limited scope based squarely on the, "if I didn't hear it on the radio, it isn't any good" mentality. You know - those who think radio airplay is the ONLY measuring stick of a song and artist's worth. You know - people, who insist Disco Duck is a quality song because it was a hit on the radio. You know - grinning simpletons, who keep the suits and ties at record companies rolling in dough. You know - stupid, fucking, goddamn idiots with no mind of their own. It takes an intelligent person to listen to entire studio albums and decide what they like or don't like. It takes a mindless sheep to allow record companies and radio stations to tell them what they should like, and then preach that mentality as gospel truth.