JSS

Jettblack

Van Halen

I still have some trimming to do.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet I'm the only one on here who will have this in his/her top five at the end of the year:

Loudblast - Frozen Moments Between Life and Death

Fantastic Death Metal album though. :banger:

This is tough since it's so early in the year and so many I haven't heard or bought and the Kiss and Dokken still to come out but this is what I have so far:

1. Slash - Apocalyptic Love

2. Eclipse - Bleed and Scream

3. Accept - Stalingrad

4. Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue

5. Tyketto - Dig in Deep

6. Dynazty - Sultans of Sin

7. Million $ Reload - A Sinner's Saint

8. Jettblack - Raining Rock

9. Hardline - Danger Zone

10. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth

11. Bombay Black - Bullets and Booze

12. Trixter - New Audio Machine

13. Tremonti - All I Was

14. Rush - Clockwork Angels

15. Charm City Devils - Sins

16. Europe - Bag of Bones

17. LA Guns - Hollywood Forever

18. Primal Fear - Unbreakable

19. Bangalore Choir - Metaphor

20. Shinedown - Amarylis

21. Adlers Appetite - Alive EP

22. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

23. Metallica - Beyond Magnetic

24. Unisonic - S/T

25. Great White - Elation

I haven't had time to live with or listen to the new Fozzy or The Last Vegas yet and I expect them to be in my top 10 at least.

No HEAT~ Address the Nation Wes? Man, I thought I knew you.... :whistle:

Sorry i dont own it so its left off the list. I have heard it though and its very good.

Okay I have the HEAT on order.

Tango Down is fast moving up the list and I am loving Kiss Monster and expect that to be very high at year end.

• 1 month later...

OK, here's my final placings......a couple of surprises in there -

1. The Night Flight Orchestra - Internal Affairs (95%)

2. Jimi Jamison - Never Too Late (94%)

3. HEAT - Address The Nation (94%)

4. Eclipse - Bleed & Scream (93%)

5. Harry Hess - Living In Yesterday (92%)

6. Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue (92%)

7. Destine - Illuminate (91%)

8. Dynazty - Sultans Of Sin (89%)

9. Lionville - II (88%)

10. Halestorm - A Strange Case Of.....(88%)

11. Threshold - March Of Progress (88%)

12. Tremonti - All I Was (87%)

13. Jeff Scott Soto - Damage Control (86%)

14. Peepshow - Brand New Breed (86%)

15. Safetysuit - These Times (86%)

16. Rick Springfield - Songs (83%)

17. Lovebite - Load n Load (83%)

18. Hardline - Danger Zone (83%)

19. Wigelius - Reinventions (83%)

20. Shinedown - Amaryllis (83%)

9. Lionville - II (88%)

No Tango Down?

This is my top 20 for 2012.

1.) CIRCUS MAXIMUS – Nine

2.) VAN HALEN – A Different Kind Of Truth

3.) H.E.A.T. – Address The Nation

4.) THE DARKNESS – Hot Cakes

5.) PARADISE LOST – Tragic Idol

6.) LIONVILLE - II

7.) JIMI JAMISON – Never Too Late

8.) RICK SPRINGFIELD – Songs For The End Of The World

9.) JETTBLACK – Raining Rock

10.) SHINEDOWN – Amaryllis

11.) WIGELIUS – Reinventions

12.) SAPPHIRE EYES – s/t

13.) JEFF SCOTT SOTO – Damage Control

14.) HESS – Living In Yesterday

15.) GENE THE WEREWOLF – Rock ‘N Roll Animal

16.) ECLIPSE – Bleed And Scream

17.) DYNAZTY – Sultans Of Sin

18.) LILLIAN AXE – The Days Before Tomorrow

19.) BLESSED BY A BROKEN HEART – Feel The Power

20.) DRAGONFORCE – The Power Within

On a special note, one of the best things I heard this year was a downloaded EP called What’s Your Name? from the band USA! USA! USA! (with former members of Waltham) If this had been a proper release, I’m sure it would have made my top 3.

9. Lionville - II (88%)

No Tango Down?

Good album but off the top 20 - with a few other good albums as well I should add

Haven't got a list made up yet,but I really loved the new Kiss & Heat(my top 2) discs,Tango Down,Hardline,Crazy Lixx,Trixter and....Rattleshake which I thought was an excellent release,Also have soft spot for the new Gotthard disc,although I know thats its not flavour of the month with everyone :)

Haven't got a list made up yet,but I really loved the new Kiss & Heat(my top 2) discs,Tango Down,Hardline,Crazy Lixx,Trixter and....Rattleshake which I thought was an excellent release,Also have soft spot for the new Gotthard disc,although I know thats its not flavour of the month with everyone :)

I really didn't mind the new Gotthard, not great but not bad.

Agreed! That Rattleshake album is excellent. One of, if not the best Eonian has released. IMO

Agreed! That Rattleshake album is excellent. One of, if not the best Eonian has released. IMO

Not heard that - will need to investigate

I'm still working on this. My top 20 is sorted so I'll post that now, but I have a pretty comprehensive list which I'll post, for interest's sake. Just finalising it in the next couple of weeks. I actually rated 50 albums (exactly) over 80% this year, so I'll be sure to post my findings asap.

I must say, Glen, wtf is at the top of your list? I have never even heard the name before, let alone seen a discussion. Is it something I need to check out immediately? And wow, Dave, for a dude who's had similar tastes in years past, we're pretty far off this year. :( Some albums in your top two that I gave 30% and others in your top four that rated very low for me. Glad you enjoy, though.

Anyway, here's my top 20 for interest's sake. After tossing up whether or not to do so, I actually included EPs in my top 20 this year. Controversial perhaps, but imo if a band can create 5+ songs of amazing quality that rate as high as full albums, I think they must be acknowledged. It's never come up before, because quite simply I have never been as blown away by a couple of EPs as I was in 2012. Anyway, here's the list:

1 . Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power - 94

2 . Sapphire Eyes - Sapphire Eyes - 94

3 . USA!USA!USA - What's Your Name - 92

4 . Peepshow - Brand New Breed - 92

5 . H.E.A.T - Address The Nation - 92

6 . Sunstorm - Emotional Fire - 91

7 . Destine - Illuminate - 90

8 . Silence - City (Nights) - 90

9 . Wigelius - Reinventions - 90

10 . Lionville - II - 90

11 . Dallas - Over The Edge EP - 90

12 . Hess - Living In Yesterday - 90

13 . Safetysuit - These Times - 90

14 . Namesake - Borders And Fences - 88

15 . Andy Rock - Into The Night - 87

16 . Baby Jane - In The Spotlight - 86

17 . Star City Meltdown - Music=War - 86

18 . DoryDrive - Calling On Angels - 86

19 . Hit The Lights - Invicta - 85

20 . Jimi Jamison - Never Too Late - 85

I like these lists as it gives me a few to check out like million $ Reload and also those 3 modern discs which I need to listen to again - Namesake, Dory Drive and Star City Meltdown (I think I started a thread on these guys and then never checked it out lol!!).

Also I need to re-visit that Sapphire Eyes. 94%, shit me I thought it was samey and forgettable....will re visit.

I've cut down on buying CDs in 2012, all in all I 'only' bought 30 '2012 releases'. I'm not going to include albums I had listened to online but didn't decide to buy in the end. Two of those 30 albums I didn't put into the list as they are quite different in style, but both very enjoyable albums from Swiss artists!

I'd put the virtual 80% mark after spot 7 and the 50% mark would be after spot 25.

Okay, here we go:

1. Jimi Jamison - Never too late (quality drops a little towars the end of the disc, but overall excellent perfomances and songwriting)

2. Koritni - Welcome to the Crossroads (I just love this band! Some of these songs grabbed me very intensely)

3. Papa Roach - The Connectiono (somewhat surprised to see this one so high on my list, but it's a real grower and again some outstanding songs)

4. Blessed by a Broken Heart - Feel the Power (Probably surprise of the year for me...fantastic 80s vibe)

5. H.E.A.T. - Address the Nation (I had high expectations and they were pretty much fullfilled, but some songs haven't got enough lasting appeal)

6. Halestorm - The strange Case of... (I only discovered Halestorm this spring. Very solid album and great band)

7. Baby Jane - In the Spotlight (Best sleaze disc of the year for me! This band has got it all, but the production could be a little stronger)

8. Jettblack - Raining Rock (much better than the debut imo and overall a very enjoyable affair)

9. Hinder - Welcome to the Freakshow (Although I think it's too soft, I find myself coming back to this disc (so far))

10. Million $ Reload - A Sinner's Saint (great bunch of guys and great vibe. It didn't match my expectations, but overall a very nice slab of hard rock)

11. Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue (although ranked at spot 11, this is the disappointment of the year for me. Every time I listen to it I really want to like it, but there's some tiny ingredient missing imo)

12. Turbonegro - Sexual Harassment (in your face and quite punk-ish, but also some great rock'n'roll songs)

13. My Dynamite - ST (the new Black Crowes; love the vibe, but they gotta hone their songwriting some more)

14. Van Halen - A different kind of Truth (love Blood & Fire and like some other songs; a pleasant surprise)

15. Casablanca - Apocalyptic Youth (fun disc, especially for summer time)

16. Eclipse - Bleed & Scream (it's all very well done, but it just didn't grab me that much on an emotional level)

17. Trixter - New Audio Machine (some solid songs, but nothing spectacular; these guys can do much better I'm sure)

18. Gotthard - Firebirth (copy/paste what I just said about Trixter)

19. The Offspring - Days go by (first half of the disc is quite good, second half ranges from okay to horrendous)

20. Bonafide - Ultimate Rebel (solid riff-rock)

21. Bullet Train Blast - Nothing remains (I gotta give this disc some more spins, but great production and some strong songs)

22. White Flame - Cougar (definately sort of a mixed bag; I don't like all of their 'styles')

23. Imperial State Electric - Pop War (some very nice songs, but much too short)

24. Gene the Werewolf - Rock'n'Roll Animal (initally I'd ranked it much higher, but it already lost quite a lot of it's appeal)

25. Diamond Dogs - Set Fire to it all (solid boogie rock'n'roll)

26. The Darkness - Hot Cakes (I used to despise this band, but this one actually is pretty much okay and has some nice songs on it)

27. Rick Springfield - SFTEOTW (it's all very well executed, but it just doesn't grab me as much as it seems to grab other guys around here)

28. Wigelius - Reinventions (the only disc I shouldn't have bought I guess; after a couple of spins this one is just generic and quite boring to my ears)

out of competition:

Seven - The Art is King (very talented guy with an interesting mixture of Soul, a little Rock, Pop and Funk)

Bob Spring - Run from Death (former Backwash singer; basically blues with hints of country with some excellent songs)

• My Little Pony

There are a lot of 2012 releases that passed me by, but I'll probably get around to them this year. My favourite releases, of the few I listened to, are:

Those that pertain to this site:

Accet - Stalingrad

Blessed by a Broken Heart - Feel the Power

The Classic Crime - Phoenix

H.E.A.T. - Address the Nation

Hardline - Danger Zone

Hess - Living in Yesterday

SafetySuit - These Times

John Schlitt - The Greater Cause

Rick Springfield - Songs for the End of the World

Sturm Und Drang - Graduation Day

USA!USA!USA! - What's Your Name?

Other genres:

Breakbot - By Your Side

Donkeyboy - Silver Moon

Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur

GOOD Music - Cruel Summer

Passion Pit - Gossamer

POP ETC - POP ETC

The Weeknd - Trilogy

I'm still working on this. My top 20 is sorted so I'll post that now, but I have a pretty comprehensive list which I'll post, for interest's sake. Just finalising it in the next couple of weeks. I actually rated 50 albums (exactly) over 80% this year, so I'll be sure to post my findings asap.

I must say, Glen, wtf is at the top of your list? I have never even heard the name before, let alone seen a discussion. Is it something I need to check out immediately? And wow, Dave, for a dude who's had similar tastes in years past, we're pretty far off this year. :( Some albums in your top two that I gave 30% and others in your top four that rated very low for me. Glad you enjoy, though.

Anyway, here's my top 20 for interest's sake. After tossing up whether or not to do so, I actually included EPs in my top 20 this year. Controversial perhaps, but imo if a band can create 5+ songs of amazing quality that rate as high as full albums, I think they must be acknowledged. It's never come up before, because quite simply I have never been as blown away by a couple of EPs as I was in 2012. Anyway, here's the list:

10 . Lionville - II - 90

Is that one released on CD at all? I'd really like to have it in physical format...

10 . Lionville - II - 90

Is that one released on CD at all? I'd really like to have it in physical format...

Yeah mate, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OML8AM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I bought a used copy from Amazon for a little under that price. Haven't got it yet and to be honest I truly fear it'll be in a slip disc CD single cardboard thingy, but I can let you know if you'd like. Both it and the Star City Meltdown CD seem to be very hard to find in any quantity.

Haha, nice list embrock. You had me hooked with my agreeing with a lot of what you said, right up until the very last line. I absolutely love that Wigelius CD personally. Of all the discs in 2012 it's probably the one I've reached for most and if someone asked me which band had the most "perfect" sound in 2012 I'd point to them. If not for the couple of weaker songs it would have topped 2012 for me for sure.

Haha, nice list embrock. You had me hooked with my agreeing with a lot of what you said, right up until the very last line. I absolutely love that Wigelius CD personally. Of all the discs in 2012 it's probably the one I've reached for most and if someone asked me which band had the most "perfect" sound in 2012 I'd point to them. If not for the couple of weaker songs it would have topped 2012 for me for sure.

I can definately see and hear the appeal of that Wigelius disc, but just recently I played H.E.A.T and Wigelius back to back and very seldom has a disc sounded so lifeless and generic while H.E.A.T was fresh and full of energy. It might even be the production of the Wigelius disc which kinda spoils it for me not the songs.

You compiled a very nice list yourself, definately agree on that tasty Dallas EP! Knowing you're into modern rock I kinda wonder where you've left the likes of Papa Roach, Halestorm or Hinder, where'd you rank them?

10 . Lionville - II - 90

Yeah mate, here it is:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

I bought a used copy from Amazon for a little under that price. Haven't got it yet and to be honest I truly fear it'll be in a slip disc CD single cardboard thingy, but I can let you know if you'd like. Both it and the Star City Meltdown CD seem to be very hard to find in any quantity.

So it's a cd-r thingie, eh?

"This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply."

Goddammit!

Let me know if it's up to any standard when you get it Geoff...

10 . Lionville - II - 90

Yeah mate, here it is:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

So it's a cd-r thingie, eh?

"This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply."

Goddammit!

Let me know if it's up to any standard when you get it Geoff...

You have to watch Amazon lately they've been doing a lot of those cdr things even on titles that should be easy to find.

• My Little Pony

Mind u that is amazon.com

I haven't purchased a CD from Amazon in a very long time, so I've never seen that before. It's deterred me from returning there in the future.

Mind u that is amazon.com

I haven't purchased a CD from Amazon in a very long time, so I've never seen that before. It's deterred me from returning there in the future.

It does state half way down the page that its cd recordable on demand so its pretty plain thats what it is.