This can't happen...:(

Mullethead

OPEN LETTER TO ALL MELODICROCK.COM READERS

Yes, I really am asking my loyal reader base for help once again. But this is the last time I plan on doing so. If you aren't interested in reading on, follow the link below to the regular frontpage/newsdesk.

[Enter MelodicRock.com]

For those willing to take the time to read through this update – thank you.

I'm going to be upfront and honest about what's going on here and many other businesses around the world. I don't think it will be any great surprise to many.

A few months back I put out a call for donations and general support of the site and was extremely appreciative to those that chose to do so. As is the case with many things to do with the site, a large number of familiar faces donated and to those folks – I thank you again for your continued enthusiasm of the site.

Basically there is a huge problem with the world economy and with the household budgets of the typical melodic rock/hard rock/metal fan. Many of you (like myself) have families and kids and more pressing priorities to attend to. And when money is tight – the luxuries go. Believe me – I understand this without question. I'm in the same boat.

So the problem right now is that people just aren't buying. Period. Not like it was 5 years back at least. And each year it gets worse.

The number of people willing or able to spend what money they do have available just keeps falling. It has affected all aspects of MR business: sales on MelodicRock Records titles, MRX memberships, the last MRCD compilation (I pressed half of what I used to and still have copies to spare) and even the Fireworks Magazine Digital Download.

Of course I am not alone in this predicament. It is the same situation for all in this business - especially the great companies that advertise here and the ones that used to advertise. Not one advertiser has left MR with any complaints. It is sadly unanimous across the board that they simply cannot afford to continue advertising and in some cases have closed up shop altogether.

Every single facet of this business is under extreme duress. For me it's the same…when you add up lost advertising, lack of new business and falling on-site revenue – there's going to be a big problem.

This site is my full time job and my only source of income. I would like it to remain that way. But I am also realistic that if that cannot be achieved, I need to look at other options which would mean scaling the site back to how it used to be run – as a part time affair, or even closing and moving on. That's absolutely the last thing on my mind!

There have been a couple of comments made to me recently that the site isn't as updated as it was being done a few years back. Well, I continue do my best, but I had a bad run of health issues I'm only now coming out of, plus a good deal of my time is taken up with trying to find paying business and advertisers in this limited field. Not helping is the aging framework of the site itself. The in-development new MR site didn't go to plan there either. I lost almost a year with one failed redevelopment (something which folks also donated towards) and had to start over with a new partner. I'm happy to report that the all-new MR site is almost done and ready to test in the next couple of weeks. More about that shortly.

I am looking at any number of ways to build business in a way that won't detract from the usual expected role of the site – news, reviews, previews and other regular updates.

But right now – I just need to once more ask for the help and support of the reader base out there – both fans and musicians that would like to see things stay the way they are and get better.

I'm of course interested to hear from people what they think the site needs to do to improve. Besides the obvious of course (more news, more review, more everything…), but believe I'm working on those aspects already anyway.

The brand new site is going to do things differently than they are currently being done. That will make the job of updating so much easier and news will be added through the day rather than 1 update at the end of my usual working day. That will bring you more breaking new and current press releases as they happen.

The new design will also see the return of regular Release Dates bulletins (a new way of doing that also) and will allow more outside contributions from special guests to be added.

It will also allow FULL reader interactivity with EVERY single new review and even every news item added to the site – so the voice of the readers is being returned!

I know the Interactive Reviews was a very popular feature that's gone AWOL, but it was simply too cumbersome and outdated to maintain and was spammed into oblivion by those dang spambots. The new site fixes that.

Add to that a number of new features and full social media interactivity; I'm sure the wait will be worthwhile.

But before that happens, I need to ask for your support to keep MR going as a full time enterprise while I work on the new site and some new ideas to secure the financial viability of MelodicRock.com as it stands.

There are a number of ways you can help.

- Donate towards the site. All donations are hugely appreciated and is the easiest and most helpful way to contribute. It would be great to see some that have never donated previously to consider doing so now.

- I also have an option open to me for any individuals out there that would consider offering a suitable donation in return for 'working & reporting' for MelodicRock.com in an official capacity at live shows in your era. Tickets/passes and interviews can be arranged and those reports can be filed for featuring right here. E-mail me if interested.

- Purchase one of the MRCD Compilations (and get ready for an AMAZING 2CD MRCD9 soon!!). They are all available in the MRR Store. MRCD4, MRCD7 and MRCD8 are all still currently available. The others will be re-released in digital form ASAP this year.

- Consider a purchase from the MelodicRock Records roster of artists (including the upcoming Rick Springfield Tribute album). This also helps support the artists directly. Sale prices still apply on most titles. Link to MRR Store.

- Join MRX - Updated almost every week with feature albums and great live shows + more previews coming of upcoming releases and miscellaneous cool stuff. More exclusive content coming and discount codes within for % off at some popular retailers. Join Now.

- Purchase a Digital Edition of any of the Fireworks Magazine Issues here.

- I will continue to go through my personal collection of CDs and items and add them to EBay, so keep an eye on that page if interested.

- Artists – get in touch if you would like to contribute to MRCD9, but space is filling up and preference is given to unreleased/rare tracks.

- Artists/Labels – Advertising: email now for prices for CD Showcase, Banner Ads and Feature Splash Pages to promote your release. Ask now!

- And of course, any general feedback or comments are always welcomed – even the negative ones. E-mail Feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to read though this today. Like I stated early on – this will be the last big donation drive I will be doing for 2012 and hopefully even longer as I hope to get business back to what it once was through the new site design and some fresh ideas.

The generosity, support and appreciation previously shown by readers is something I value immensely.

Cheers,

Andrew.

To any Artists, Labels, Businesses, Publicists or other comanies that benefit from this site's existance - I'd love to hear from you also. Now would be the time! If you can donate or add something to the Memorbillia Auction or anything else, please contact me.

I am going to sign back up for the MRX Downloads. I had it before and it was pretty cool. This is a great site and I couldn't imagine being without it...:(

Is a shame but in this climate not too much of a surprise. I guess charging subscriptions to the main site is the only last-resort thing to do, which may help? I'd be prepared to pay regularly for full access....

• My Little Pony

I'm also gonna sign up for MRX, again. I had it years ago and it is pretty cool. MelodicRock introduced me to most of what I listen to. I can honestly say, without that site I would not be here.

I know I'm in the minority here but I hardly ever visit the site. I've always found it a bit confusing to navigate and seldom could find whatever I was looking for.

I know I'm in the minority here but I hardly ever visit the site. I've always found it a bit confusing to navigate and seldom could find whatever I was looking for.

Wow, I'm surprised. Seems very easy to me but I go there every morning so that may be why. Still, whether you visit often or not, will be sad to see yet another outline go away after all these years. :(

I think it's time Andrew lets others help him out with the site. Too much to do for one individual. Financially I'm not sure what to do for more revenue, but trusted volunteers could surely bail him out and lighten the load.

Many hands working on the site on one's own time might get things going or might stall it all together. Too many cooks might spoil the broth, however no one can survive financially by running a website dedicated to a kind of music that is only sought after by a small amount of people worldwide.

• My Little Pony

I could always go around smashing heads, telling punks in my age bracket to stop listening to shit music. :D

Could be fun. :beerbang:

+1

The website is way too busy and cluttered.

however no one can survive financially by running a website dedicated to a kind of music that is only sought after by a small amount of people worldwide.

This kind of music is authentic and quite obviously one of the most sought after genres on the planet. Even without corporate backing it continues to sell and have a following. Cheap scams and optical tricks aren't selling to actual consumers and have cost everyone in the industry, except for those performing the act. It's called fraud.

On topic: running any website and activity without a corporate backbone throughout all these years is a rare achievement. I think you should be aware of that first of all.

I love the website and have always followed what Andrew has to say.

I would hate to see his site go away as it means so much to so many although I've never joined the forum or the other options he has but it is amazing what he's been able to do all on his own for so many years.

I'm confused as to how someone can't navigate the website. It's a fairly simple website to use, especially if you only want news updates. You just scroll down? I'm an idiot with computers so I'm sure everyone else can use the site lol.

It's not that a person cannot navigate the website, I can navigate it. What the problem is that the website is hard on the eyes/brain. It is too busy, cluttered, too many clashing colors. You might think that is being picky or whatever but it is major factor in website design. Websites need to flow nice AND be easy on the eyes. Corporations like Microsoft, etc. use light gradients that blend easily and use a basic set of colors and fonts so as not to distract from the message and navigation.

Putting it in very basic comparison....a car might get you from point A to point B because it is mechanically sound and functions. But if the entire interior was hot neon pink splattered with flashing Christmas lights and lime green stripes then you might not want to drive it that often. I'd trade it for something that functions but easier to concentrate.

It's not that a person cannot navigate the website, I can navigate it. What the problem is that the website is hard on the eyes/brain. It is too busy, cluttered, too many clashing colors. You might think that is being picky or whatever but it is major factor in website design. Websites need to flow nice AND be easy on the eyes. Corporations like Microsoft, etc. use light gradients that blend easily and use a basic set of colors and fonts so as not to distract from the message and navigation.

Putting it in very basic comparison....a car might get you from point A to point B because it is mechanically sound and functions. But if the entire interior was hot neon pink splattered with flashing Christmas lights and lime green stripes then you might not want to drive it that often. I'd trade it for something that functions but easier to concentrate.

Ahh I see what you mean now & in that aspect, I agree 100%. It's a bit blinding 1st thing in the morning before I've had my coffee :) Definitely a bit busy for sure.

• My Little Pony

Ahh I see what you mean now & in that aspect, I agree 100%. It's a bit blinding 1st thing in the morning before I've had my coffee :) Definitely a bit busy for sure.

Yeah, but I don't spend much time there. I check the news, maybe some reviews or previews; definitely not enough time to go all googly-eyed. I am excited for the new site--have been for a while, now. Like I already said, I don't think I would be at this point in my musical journey without it.

Oh, and to be clear, I am certainly not ripping on the site owner or the content or what it means to folks....kudo's to him and all he has going there for sure. I'm just giving my opinion on the website design. :beerbang:

Maybe that's why he is changing it - new site soon apparently.

I think its a good site too and regularly read the news items, although the noticeboard can be a bit childish at times.

I know the busy front page can be hard on the eyes, but that is not the only reason the website might be suffering. There is way too much drama on their noticeboard. I just spent 1/2 an hour trying to comprehend a bunch of accusations, rants and deceptions. All I can figure out is that Michael Eden formerly of Eden's Curse is a primo douche bag.

Where's the music?

I know message boards can get nasty at times but it's constant bitching, moaning, bashing, trashing and just good ole' fashion negativity over there at Melodicrock.

If I was Andrew, I'd simply blow up the noticeboard and stick to news and review.

Maybe need to widen the horizon on the bands featured a bit more. Spread a little further into hard rock aswell, and not puerly melodicrock.

I feel the same bands get a headline and write up again and again and again.

Sure, everyone has their favourites, but there are so many bands that never seem to get a mention on there that potentialy could.

and the message board on there really difficult to use.

• My Little Pony

Maybe need to widen the horizon on the bands featured a bit more. Spread a little further into hard rock aswell, and not puerly melodicrock.

I feel the same bands get a headline and write up again and again and again.

Sure, everyone has their favourites, but there are so many bands that never seem to get a mention on there that potentialy could.

And maybe even modern rock. I know it's not exactly what we want, but it would open up for greater exposure, AND even introduce those that soley listen to modern rock--those that soley listen to radio--to good music. Better music.