Looking for a particular type of cd storage sleeve

glam_junkie

got a price on these.

to get my own personal stash i'm looking about $AUD1.30 a piece.

if others are interested and a larger quantity is ordered, that price comes down to about a buck a piece. (i believe this dos not inlcude the cardbaord insert, buti would need to confirm).

i am also awaiting another quote from another supplier.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about $AUD1.30 a piece.

Huh ... ! 3k CD's x 1.30, that's a lot of money, Lindsay !! :(

about $AUD1.30 a piece.

Huh ... ! 3k CD's x 1.30, that's a lot of money, Lindsay !! :(

Yeah, a bit higher than i was expecting.

I asked for prices for 1000 and 5000.

For 1000 it works out to a bit moren than 1.30 ea, and for 5000 they are 1.00 ea.

I wasn't going to house my entire collection in these. I was going to keep my main shelves in jewel cases (maybe 1000 discs), and then everything else put into these and make them easier to store in drawers.

I'm still waiting on another quote though.

Have you had any luck with a price?

Have you had any luck with a price?

No, no response from 2 companies anymore, unfortunately. And I have given up for the time being, due to other priorities. Good luck !

I'm still shocked these lil' plastic sleeves are this elusive and costly?!

You'd think in this day and age of disposable products a plastic slip sleeve would be cheap cheap almost free? Heck at a buck a piece you could, now I know this is what we are trying to get away from, but you could buy a "real jewel case".

I'm still shocked these lil' plastic sleeves are this elusive and costly?!

You'd think in this day and age of disposable products a plastic slip sleeve would be cheap cheap almost free? Heck at a buck a piece you could, now I know this is what we are trying to get away from, but you could buy a "real jewel case".

Economy of scale. It's a "specialty" item, produced in small quantities, comparatively speaking, therefore the development/royalty/setup costs are not defrayed across as many manufacturing runs and units as say your traditional jewel case.

Niche items are always more expensive than one thinks they should be.

Found my old receipt from the store i originally purchased them (kept it knowing i would want to source more) and going back 3 years ago i paid approx 55-60c each for them.

I know jewel cases would work ouu cheaper, but it's more the storage and space that is of concern to me. You can compact your cds into about a third of the space.

I'm still in contact with one of the guys who worked at the store and he is trying to find out the supplier for me (cos the store has now closed).

how about $0.45. That's my latest quote. this is without the cardboard insert though.

getting to the affordable ballpark now.

Yes, that sounds a lot better !! Congrats !

how about $0.45. That's my latest quote. this is without the cardboard insert though.

getting to the affordable ballpark now.

Yes, that sounds a lot better !! Congrats !

I wonder how "low" will these suppliers go if there is a gaurantee'd order? For me even at .50 cents a piece I'm still looking at close to a thousand bucks....

I like the idea, I just would need to see like a nickel a piece or less.

ok, so i've bargained them down to about $AUD0.385 each ($US0.40).

just wondering whether anyone is interested in these covers at this price?

i'm very tempted to go ahead and order some.

They look really good and I would be interested, but the money just isn't there at the moment. If you're still in touch with your supplier in about a year's time I might get a couple of hundred then...

They look really good and I would be interested, but the money just isn't there at the moment. If you're still in touch with your supplier in about a year's time I might get a couple of hundred then...

I have to order quite a few to get them at this price, so pretty sure i'll have plenty left over. Had a bit of interest from someone at melodicrock.com aswell.

Someone actually pointed me to a site in sweden that makes them, but if i understand their site correctly they seem to charge over $3 each for them!!!!! I have emailed them to try to get some confirmation. If that's right, then $0.39 is a absolute bargain.

Any extras i might also try to flog off on ebay.

I have to order quite a few to get them at this price, so pretty sure i'll have plenty left over. Had a bit of interest from someone at melodicrock.com aswell.

Someone actually pointed me to a site in sweden that makes them, but if i understand their site correctly they seem to charge over $3 each for them!!!!! I have emailed them to try to get some confirmation. If that's right, then $0.39 is a absolute bargain.

Yeah, it's a good price - if I had the cash now I would definitely put in an order for a few hundred. Times are pretty tough - fingers crossed things start improving soon!

Yeah, it's a good price - if I had the cash now I would definitely put in an order for a few hundred. Times are pretty tough - fingers crossed things start improving soon!

that's cool.

i'll be more than happy to keep a stash aside for ya.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

All change again....I think. The way I was doing it before I really liked (see earlier pics), but I was getting concerned that putting the CDs in a single polypropylene wallet with the art and especially a thick booklet was maybe ... and I add MAYBE adding to the chance that a CD may warp especially when the booklet is thick. So for now I've started using the polypropylene wraps that usually you just put around a digipak case to protect it.

front.jpg

back.jpg

As you can or cannot see I've put the CD itself in one of those Japanese cd inner sleeves to protect it.

But I still have issues with these.

Pros

Fits all the artwork without bending.

CD itself isn't tight in as such.

Easy to remove all aspects artwork, CD etc.

When taking out a CD that doesn't (as yet) have a inner sleeve it can be done easily without the CD rubbing against anything.

Cons

The polypropylene is only 25 microns which is pretty thin and you need to put it away on your shelving reasonably carefully - although I've found it hard to tear/damage under normal use...the only way it did was when I did a strong whipping motion with one containing two CDs (it's okay they were a couple of old crappy demo discs from magazines) which after 3/4 attempts split the side , but not so much as the CDs falling out, just a small tear.

The adhesive strip can be annoying when putting things back in until you get used to doing it so it catches nothing, plus it'll probably wear out eventually...but these are so cheap replacement isn't an issue.

Don't look as good on the shelving yet...but I've ordered another 1000 so I can get a good idea.

You have to arrange the booklet and CD in a particular way (see top pic) to give it a little rigidity throughout the package.

I was worrying the 25 micron wouldn't stand dropping so I did a few drop tests and generally 9 out of 10 times the CD landed flat, the higher up the more likely...unless it was a double CD set. Not that I drop CDs often...in fact the last time I did it was outdoors and the CD was in a jewel case and got nicely scratched at the same time.

Now as I say I loved the old way I was doing it as the CDs felt like they were protected and looked cool but as I say I was concerned with warping because of everything in a tight package. Also as not all had protective inner sleeves I was concerned that even as carefully as possible you still had to touch the disc itself. Also even with the inner sleeve protecting from thumbs and fingers pulling it out had some resistance.

If someone made 100 - 150 micron wallets like these and with a tuck in flap instead of adhesive I'd be a happy man...why is it so bloody hard to find a decent quality and reasonably priced storage system for CDs....especially in the U.K.

Some of the sleeves I see available in the U.S. like Jazzloft, Discsox e.t.c. seem like just the doctor ordered but when looking at 2000 CDs the cost goes wacky (add to that postage and customs costs too!)

• 1 month later...

I figured this out years ago, heres what I do, my buddy who works at Hill Air Force Base here where I live, brings me this sponge pad shit that jet parts are shipped with, it basically puts up a wall against moisture, and is also a durable padding as well, it kind of looks like the sound proof foam u see on the walls in recording studios, only it doesnt have the huge porous divets in it, it's more flat like regular foam padding, but I build these big storage cases, out of sheet metal, and oak wood, ive recently tried to get creative and put hinges in them to try and make the shelfs pop up or pull up, but so far I havent worked the details out well enough to make it work, but there are 5 shelfs on the bottom, that hold 100 Jewel cases per shelf, then I build a second insert shelf, which also holds 100 discs per shelf, at 5 shelfs, and it fits into the top of the case, and sits over the top of the bottom rack, I line the entire case with this thermal sheild shit my buddy gives me, when I get a cd, I rip it straight to my computer, I put the disc in a plastic jewel cover sleeve, the kind u put the jewel case in, then pull the tape off the sleeve and it folds over sealing the jewel case in, then I put it into one of these cd storage crates ive made, which are under lock and key, which I also added to these cases, very durable safe locks(id like to take the keypad off one of those electronic safes, and wire it to one of my cases) but these cases as you can imagine are huge and heavy, so they are stored carefully away from everything, whenever I get new cd's, rip them onto my computer, then take the cd,s and place them in the crates, I never deal with the physical cd's again, I dont listen to them, I dont handle them, just one time, I read the covers and lyrics while I rip it, then they get put away, this may not work for everyone, but I have gotten so anal about my cd's, I just don't even like them being out, I dont know how these cases would do in a fire, the thermal shit I use is fire retardant, but the actual cases, I dont know, I do know those fuckers stayed 100% dry, when my basement was flooded 4 years ago, not a drop of moister even penetrated the case, god talk about relief, but yeah, rip and store, that's my habit.

That's a good way to do it mate - but I need to get to the physical CD. That's some great stuff keeping everything dry in a flood, I think a few people down south here at the moment could do with whole houses made of it :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up buying cd sleeves from here about a year or so ago when the aussie dollar was very high against the US dollar so the price was pretty good. I have been impressed by them. Not sure what the dvd sleeves are like.

http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com

I ended up buying cd sleeves from here about a year or so ago when the aussie dollar was very high against the US dollar so the price was pretty good. I have been impressed by them. Not sure what the dvd sleeves are like.

http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com

Not speaking to the products quality, but that picture on the links home page looks really disorganized and not very user friendly...