Sebastian Bach: "Kicking & Screaming" review

metalmaniac777

Sebastian Bach is my all-time favorite vocalist. To read my review of his new solo album, "Kicking & Screaming," head over to Hardrock Haven by clicking the link below:

Sebastian Bach review

In short, better than "Angel Down" (which I liked), not quite as good as his Skid Row days, but still a damn good heavy-edged hard rock/metal album.

I still dont understand why people claim there was a lot of screaming on Angel down. To my ears there were probably two, maybe three songs that had anything on them close to screaming, the rest were classic Bach vocals.

Heavy in places, yes, but no heavier than some of the stuff on Slave and Subhuman. And the two ballads were pure melodic bliss.

I still dont understand why people claim there was a lot of screaming on Angel down. To my ears there were probably two, maybe three songs that had anything on them close to screaming, the rest were classic Bach vocals.

Heavy in places, yes, but no heavier than some of the stuff on Slave and Subhuman. And the two ballads were pure melodic bliss.

I agree I didn't get he screaming complaints either. I loved Angel Down.

I forgot how Angel Down sounds but as far as I remember, it's pretty average back then except the exceptional ballad, looks like this one is promising, lookin' forward as well, especially to listen to the highly-praised Nick Sterling's guitarworks.

This one sounds good from the soundbytes, though - speaking as someone who never really liked Skid Row much - I still wish he'd crank up the heaviness further. The ballads sound weak, and he still doesn't quite tear through these tunes like I hoped he would. I'll take raw heavy metal over standard hard rock anyday of the week, so this is probably the most appealing think I've ever heard the guy do, but he should still push things further IMO...

It kind of annoys me that he knows that most fans would love for him to do something similar to a Skid Row type album again, but he just refuses. Even just a couple fist-pumping "anthem" type tracks would be nice. But noooooooooooooooooooo. Anyway, that's my rant. I'm done now.

I still dont understand why people claim there was a lot of screaming on "Angel Down." To my ears there were probably two, maybe three songs that had anything on them close to screaming, the rest were classic Bach vocals. Heavy in places, yes, but no heavier than some of the stuff on "Slave..." and "Subhuman..."

I agree, I didn't get the screaming complaints either. I loved "Angel Down."

For the record, I personally was not complaining about the screaming in my review, merely pointing out how Bach's previous solo effort was received, because I like "Angel Down" and was perfectly content to hear Bach go in a heavier, more aggressive direction. Granted, it's not the kind of larynx-shredding screaming you hear from, say, Killswitch Engage, but it's certainly not pure melodic singing either when Bach goes into that aggressive vocal mode. That said, there's a little less of that on this newie, so folks who thought he screamed too much on "Angel Down" should be more content with this album.

It kind of annoys me that he knows that most fans would love for him to do something similar to a Skid Row type album again, but he just refuses. Even just a couple fist-pumping "anthem" type tracks would be nice. But noooooooooooooooooooo. Anyway, that's my rant. I'm done now.

Wait what? Have you heard Rock N Roll, Counterpunch, You Don't Understand and American Metalhead?

Wait what? Have you heard Rock N Roll, Counterpunch, You Don't Understand and American Metalhead?

Hmm, there is not one track that I kept off of "Angel Down". Got rid of the cd almost immediately and never regretted it. And "Slave To The Grind" is one of my top albums. I understand modern production (I actually prefer it), but I just don't get the piss poor song-writing and lack of memorable choruses. There's eighteen year old kids out there now writing bigger choruses than my so called "80's heroes". It's sad. Just sayin....

As always, Mark....stellar review. I can always count on your reviews to guide me in whether or not I may be interested in something. I am excited for this release, as the lead off single definitely piqued my interest..and now your review has solidified that I need to get this as soon as it comes out!

Keep rockin'!

Hmm, there is not one track that I kept off of "Angel Down". Got rid of the cd almost immediately and never regretted it. And "Slave To The Grind" is one of my top albums. I understand modern production (I actually prefer it), but I just don't get the piss poor song-writing and lack of memorable choruses. There's eighteen year old kids out there now writing bigger choruses than my so called "80's heroes". It's sad. Just sayin....

Bach was never the main songwriter in Skid Row

But even so, Angel down was a million times better than either Skid Row album after he left.

Yes they have some decent tracks on them, but were they any better written than Angel down? The answer is no as Angel down was fucking excellent where as the two Skid Row albums were mediocre at best.

Granted, prior to Angel down, Bachs output only had a couple of shining moments, but for me Angel down was more of a continuation of Slave to the grind than Subhuman race ever was.

As for fist pumping anthems, I heard lots of them on Angel down, so I cant understand the poor writing comment.

I still dont understand why people claim there was a lot of screaming on "Angel Down." To my ears there were probably two, maybe three songs that had anything on them close to screaming, the rest were classic Bach vocals. Heavy in places, yes, but no heavier than some of the stuff on "Slave..." and "Subhuman..."

I agree, I didn't get the screaming complaints either. I loved "Angel Down."

For the record, I personally was not complaining about the screaming in my review, merely pointing out how Bach's previous solo effort was received, because I like "Angel Down" and was perfectly content to hear Bach go in a heavier, more aggressive direction. Granted, it's not the kind of larynx-shredding screaming you hear from, say, Killswitch Engage, but it's certainly not pure melodic singing either when Bach goes into that aggressive vocal mode. That said, there's a little less of that on this newie, so folks who thought he screamed too much on "Angel Down" should be more content with this album.

Sorry Mark I didn't intend for my comment to appear that I meant you were complaining. It was more a general complaint of many fans that did complain that was all but nothing against what you said.