Metallica and ..... Lou Reed?

whiplash1972

So, what the hell is this gonna be like?? :blink:

http://loureedmetallica.com/

photo-main.jpg

The musical collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica, "Lulu," is coming your way this Fall and this space will be your spot for all things Loutallica(!). We want to start sharing with you just how the "Lulu" project, recorded at HQ just a few short months ago, is coming together. As you can see this site is a work in progress and the plan is to build it before your very eyes. Please bear with us while we piece it all together!

"Lulu" was inspired by German expressionist writer Frank Wedekind's plays "Earth Spirit" and "Pandora's Box," which tell a story of a young abused dancer's life and relationships and are now collectively known as the "Lulu Plays." Since their publication in the early 1900's, the plays have been the inspiration for a silent film ("Pandora's Box," 1929), an opera, and countless other creative endeavors. Originally the lyrics and musical landscape were sketched out by Lou for a theatrical production in Berlin, but after coming together with the 'Tallica boys for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts in New York in 2009 all guilty parties knew they wanted to make more music together. Lou was inspired enough by that performance to recently ask the band to join him in taking his theatrical "Lulu" piece to the next level and so starting in early May of this year we were all camped out recording at HQ studios in Northern California, bringing us to today and ten complete songs.

We can't wait to share this music and the whole experience with you. Please visit us often... we'll be posting updates on a frequent basis.

Available worldwide on October 31 on Universal Music

Available in North America on November 1 on Warner Bros. Records

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner, & Greg Fidelman

Mixed by Greg Fidelman

1. Brandenburg Gate (4:19)
  2. The View (5:17)
  3. Pumping Blood (7:24)
  4. Mistress Dread (6:52)
  5. Iced Honey (4:36)
  6. Cheat On Me (11:26)
  7. Frustration (8:33)
  8. Little Dog (8:01)
  9. Dragon (11:08)
  10. Junior Dad (19:28)

I've been reading about this on Blabbermouth for a while and to be honest have no interest in this at all.

I'm up for a new 'Tallica album but I'm not a Lou or Velvet Underground fan so I don't expect to care much for this.

Two eleven minute plus tracks, and one that's almost twenty minutes??

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I can appreciate collaborations of a single or two with a revered artist of yours but a whole album? And we all know that Metallica has mostly sucked since Justice (notice, I said mostly).

Did that not do a horrible song with some old scholl punk rock broad "singing" a bit on it?

First sample of the Lou Reed/Metallica combo has been YouTubed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi15nyO3v6s&feature=player_embedded

Um....WTF? :blink: Yeah. It's official, I'm passing on this thing.

We may also have a winner for Ugliest Album Cover of 2011:

lulucover.jpg

Naturally, the comments from the Blabbermouth posting community have provided endless hilarity:

"Sounds like they trained some chimps to play the riff from Sabbath's "hand of doom" and then got a hobo to do a meth-infused rap over the top."

"I feel A sudden sucking sensation, in the region of my ass."

"It sounded like one of those joke youtube mashups!"

"That sounded like a Shatner album played by neanderthals."

:rofl2:

Jesus jumped up Christ! That is truly fucking awful....:puke:

I'm sure this was an opportunity they didn't feel they could pass up playing and creating an album with an music icon but damn after the all of the Big Four Success they should be instead working on a follow up to Death Magnetic and making a balls out old school thrash album..............

The problem with Metallica is they dont seem to know when they are onto a good thing.

When they softened their style for the black album, while it lost them some fans, it gained them a whole lot more.

That sudden excess surge of record sales etc then gave them the idea that they could just do whatever they wanted, so with every album they got progressively worse.

Load had some really good songs on it, but overall it just wasnt that good. Reload was even worse, with only a couple of decent songs on it.

Sadly though they kept selling albums, so they kept recording shit which ended up with the totally dire St Anger, which had not one decent song on it. Finally though the fans spoke up and voiced their disaproval, which is why Death magnetic was a return to the older style.

Unfortunately, just like the black album, Death magnetics positive recieval meant that once again they think they can do whatever they want, and the fans will buy it ... sadly they are probably right.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that this is not a "Metallica record," it's a Lou Reed album with Metallica as his backing band... which means Lou Reed fans will "get it," while most Metallica fans will go "What the f*ck?"

A complete song from the Lou/Metallica mashup is now on Youtube... and again, I say "WTF?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg&feature=player_embedded

Good Lord. If any of you can make it all the way through this track, you've got a stronger stomach than I do. :puke:

Mostly unrelated, but I'm gonna mention it anyway cuz I think it's funny: every time I read anything about this "Lulu" project I think of the old Honeymooners episode where Ed Norton was sleepwalking cuz he missed his childhood dog, "Lulu." Anyone else remember this? He was wandering around the apartment building in his sleep crying out "LOOOOO-LOOOOOO! LOOOOOO-LOOOOOOO!"

...which is probably not the sort of association Lou and Metallica were looking for, but what the hell. :blink:

Once again, the Blabbermouth posting community has provided an endless stream of hilarity under the article for the above YouTube clip:

“I feel bad for the mexican guy...he's the only one in the group that's really still into playing rock n roll and he's probably asking himself what he's doing in this band?”

“Robert: "But I don't wanna record with that rapping grandpa ...." Lars: "Uhhmmm something something 'tallica uhmmmm something million dollars."

“Lou Reed is to the new Metallica what Jar Jar Binks was to the new Star Wars movies.”

“If my Grandpa was giving me a lecture while i had Metallica playing in the background..This is what it would sound like!!!”

:rofl2:

Metallica have been completely shite for a long long time now, and this just goes to confirm that fact. :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

Lars Ulrich was on "That Metal Show" this past weekend talkin' up the Metallica/Reed combo platter... and I swear it seemed like even Eddie "Number One Fanboy" Trunk was having trouble pretending to be interested.... :rofl2:

I usually buy all Metallica studio albums just from the collection perspective .. hell, I even bought that huge turd St Anger when it dropped in price ... but I do not think I can justify spending more than 1p on it, and even that would be £200 more than it was worth.

Lars Ulrich was on "That Metal Show" this past weekend talkin' up the Metallica/Reed combo platter... and I swear it seemed like even Eddie "Number One Fanboy" Trunk was having trouble pretending to be interested.... :rofl2:

I think even Lars was apologetic for it saying it was recorded quickly and Lou wrote the lyrics and they just jammed out the music. Plus said we have to do something outside of the box to come back to do something inside the box. In other words this album is going to suck but because of it the next actualy Metallica album will be awesome. :lol:

This thing is getting absolutely savage reviews. I haven't seen a positive one yet.

From Entertainment Weekly magazine's capsule review of LULU:

"The bulk of 'Lulu' sounds like your Dad's drunk friend reading his self-penned erotica over a melting RE-LOAD cassette."

:rofl2: !!!!