Most under-rated disc of 2010?

Geoff

I know this is always an irritating thread and people are probably just mentioning CDs that everyone else hated anyway, but let's see if we can maybe get something out of it and maybe people can be led to a CD they may have missed first time round in 2010?

After glancing over all the top 10's etc that everyone posted on the site, is there one CD that you adore that seemed to be obviously missing from almost everyone's list?

I know Jeff will say Parasite City, if Jez were here he may note the absence of Steve Lukather and I am going to be painfully obvious in my choice too (because I've carried on like a schoolgirl all year about this CD), but where on earth was this one on everyone's list:

ISSA - 'Sign of Angels'

I know I'm a broken record on this CD but it's still one of the surprises of the year for me. Yesterday when I spun this, because of it's absence from everyone's list, I put it in the CD player with the mindset that I'm going to find out it's not really as good as I think it is. And sure enough, everytime it does the opposite, and makes me think even more how the hell so few people acknowledged this CD. There are soooo many great songs on it, and almost as importantly, no garbage on it either. Surely a couple of pretty soft ballads, but still nice enough songs.

I think the thing that has got to me most was the few people who did comment on this, saying it blurred the line between pop and rock. That comment is as foreign to me as personal wealth. I cannot audibly understand how this CD is any softer than a (for random example) Edguy or Avantasia CD, minus those speed metal/rock songs. Or the 80 CDs per year someone like Magnus Karlsson was putting out not too long ago. Not only is it not anything remotely akin to pop, but it's actually pretty crunchy hard rock and the only difference I see to any of those other CDs is that there's a lady on vocals. I don't know if female vocals alone make something "pop" music these days, but that's the only thing I can take a guess at. I have personally guaranteed myself that if Tony Harnell (for example... put any other male vocalist in his place too) was on vocals on this CD no one would throw up the word "pop" in conversation. That one truely baffled me.

Anyway, I'm carrying on now. That was my pick for the most under-rated / over-looked CD of 2010. If you haven't heard it yet, please, for the love of my lord and saviour jesus christ, give it a go. :)

For me the most underrated disc of 2010 First Signal - s/t with Harry Hess on vocals. This release was brilliant, #6 on personal best of list. If this had been called a Harem Scarem release it would have been talked about just as much if not more than Treat, Mr. Big and Unruly Child (a release that I thought was a bit overhyped with only 4 really good songs in the bunch). Other than Glen who had it in his #1 spot I saw very little love for this amazing release.

An odd personal fact is that if it had been a new Harem Scarem album it would have easily been in my top 3...I'm silly that way.

For me the most underrated disc of 2010 First Signal - s/t with Harry Hess on vocals. This release was brilliant, #6 on personal best of list. If this had been called a Harem Scarem release it would have been talked about just as much if not more than Treat, Mr. Big and Unruly Child (a release that I thought was a bit overhyped with only 4 really good songs in the bunch). Other than Glen who had it in his #1 spot I saw very little love for this amazing release.

An odd personal fact is that if it had been a new Harem Scarem album it would have easily been in my top 3...I'm silly that way.

I thought this rated quite well in most lists, din'it? It was even just outside my top 10 too. Interesting point about if it carried the Harem Scarem name.

I think I'd still be the same. I always admitted there were some of the years best songs on it, hands down, but I don't think that quality carried all the way through and there were a few tracks I actually skip on that CD. :(

Hey Geoff, funnily enough I heard this for the first time yesterday and now you post this :)

Did you diggit?

Sounded like a K-Mart Tone Norum....not for me sorry budski :(

K-Mart Tone Norum? I don't even know what that means you evil prankster. ;)

To be honest, never heard a Tone Norum song in my life so I don't know how to compare that. :(

I can't believe that Crazy Lixx was not higher on their lists, and also Bangalore Choir.

I can't believe that Crazy Lixx was not higher on their lists, and also Bangalore Choir.

I agree that Crazy Lixx was one of the year's best, but I do have to admit I thought the Bangalore Choir CD, whilst it was consistent, was pretty average in comparison to what else was released throughout the year. Solid, but imo it was desperately missing a few stand-out tracks.

Hey Geoff, funnily enough I heard this for the first time yesterday and now you post this :)

Did you diggit?

Sounded like a K-Mart Tone Norum....not for me sorry budski :(

K-Mart Tone Norum? I don't even know what that means you evil prankster. ;)

To be honest, never heard a Tone Norum song in my life so I don't know how to compare that. :(

It's B or C grade IMO Geoff....no offense, I know you're splitting your y-fronts over this one :)

H.E.A.T - "Freedom Rock"

I know it appeared in quite a few lists but didn't really get the high-praise it deserved IMO. The fact Melodicrock.com gave it a high 80's score whereas garbage like Mr.Big get 100% is totally baffling to me. Perhaps my lower expectations (I was in the minority that didn't adore the debut) meant I'm overrating it but there's really very little to skip on the album and it's right up there with Treat in terms of overall quality. I know there'll be comments coming about the fillers or how it doesn't quite match the debut, etc etc, blah blah. It's magnificent. Deal with it.

H.E.A.T - "Freedom Rock"

I know it appeared in quite a few lists but didn't really get the high-praise it deserved IMO. The fact Melodicrock.com gave it a high 80's score whereas garbage like Mr.Big get 100% is totally baffling to me. Perhaps my lower expectations (I was in the minority that didn't adore the debut) meant I'm overrating it but there's really very little to skip on the album and it's right up there with Treat in terms of overall quality. I know there'll be comments coming about the fillers or how it doesn't quite match the debut, etc etc, blah blah. It's magnificent. Deal with it.

I actually agree with you, you creepy creep. I've loved both HEAT discs but this new one was awesome and more consistent (the version without 'High on life'). I think it came in 3rd for me and was actually in the mix for the top spot. Great disc.

I know this is always an irritating thread and people are probably just mentioning CDs that everyone else hated anyway, but let's see if we can maybe get something out of it and maybe people can be led to a CD they may have missed first time round in 2010?

After glancing over all the top 10's etc that everyone posted on the site, is there one CD that you adore that seemed to be obviously missing from almost everyone's list?

I know Jeff will say Parasite City, if Jez were here he may note the absence of Steve Lukather and I am going to be painfully obvious in my choice too (because I've carried on like a schoolgirl all year about this CD), but where on earth was this one on everyone's list:

ISSA - 'Sign of Angels'

I know I'm a broken record on this CD but it's still one of the surprises of the year for me. Yesterday when I spun this, because of it's absence from everyone's list, I put it in the CD player with the mindset that I'm going to find out it's not really as good as I think it is. And sure enough, everytime it does the opposite, and makes me think even more how the hell so few people acknowledged this CD. There are soooo many great songs on it, and almost as importantly, no garbage on it either. Surely a couple of pretty soft ballads, but still nice enough songs.

I think the thing that has got to me most was the few people who did comment on this, saying it blurred the line between pop and rock. That comment is as foreign to me as personal wealth. I cannot audibly understand how this CD is any softer than a (for random example) Edguy or Avantasia CD, minus those speed metal/rock songs. Or the 80 CDs per year someone like Magnus Karlsson was putting out not too long ago. Not only is it not anything remotely akin to pop, but it's actually pretty crunchy hard rock and the only difference I see to any of those other CDs is that there's a lady on vocals. I don't know if female vocals alone make something "pop" music these days, but that's the only thing I can take a guess at. I have personally guaranteed myself that if Tony Harnell (for example... put any other male vocalist in his place too) was on vocals on this CD no one would throw up the word "pop" in conversation. That one truely baffled me.

Anyway, I'm carrying on now. That was my pick for the most under-rated / over-looked CD of 2010. If you haven't heard it yet, please, for the love of my lord and saviour jesus christ, give it a go. :)

One of great things about this album are the songsmiths involved being the Martin Brothers from the Vega... According to those two, Issa's album 2 is getting ready to be recorded. Hopefully that'll pick up more attention that this fabulous & yet under rated debut.

H.E.A.T - "Freedom Rock"

Just don't see it. Listened to this about 5 times and while there are lots of 'okay' songs, there are only 2 that I genuinely like and ever want to listen to again. For me, the disappointment of the year. Sorry. :whistle:

Well the 2 obvious ones are

Degreed - Life Love Loss

All I Know - Vanity Kills

Both are excellent IMO....After posting about Degreed abount 18 months ago I always hoped that someone would take these guys on and get the album released - so a massive thanks to Andrew McNeice!

& another new band he introduced us all to - All I Know.....what a fantastic debut. Chock full of anthems.

Cheers

Degreed - Life Love Loss

Both are excellent IMO....After posting about Degreed abount 18 months ago I always hoped that someone would take these guys on and get the album released - so a massive thanks to Andrew McNeice!

& another new band he introduced us all to - All I Know.....what a fantastic debut. Chock full of anthems.

Cheers

Are you working for Melodicrock.com these days? Even liked the new MR.BIG album didn't you? :lol:

Degreed - Life Love Loss

Cheers

Are you working for Melodicrock.com these days? Even liked the new MR.BIG album didn't you? :lol:

One thing is for sure.....both those discs piss on Mr Big.

The thing about the new Mr Big album is it aint that bad as a standard fare hard rock album.....some decent songs, some great playing. Problem is the album was over hyped. Also the first song featured was Undertow which is a very good song and everyone was like wow....its all going to be this, & it wasnt. End of story really.

Fozzy - Chasing the Grail

Brilliant album.

Yes it is and it gets better with each spin.

Plus I love the variety of different Metal styles from Melodic to progressive to almost thrashy to goth. Very cool stuff and their crowning achievement so far. :party421:

Fozzy - Chasing the Grail

Brilliant album.

Yes it is and it gets better with each spin.

Plus I love the variety of different Metal styles from Melodic to progressive to almost thrashy to goth. Very cool stuff and their crowning achievement so far. :party421:

Any check-out tips? Read some rather unimpressed reviewers' comments, but none of them talk about highlights.

I think there has not been nearly enough love for Parasite City - Minstrels Creed.

Was spinning this again on friday, and i find it just as good as Crashdiet, and better than Distored Wonderland.... yet i barely hear others mention it.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

:git::git::git::git::git::git::git:

Hellz yeah, I agree!