Favorite releases of 2010

My top releases of 2010

When I got Reckless Love and Wig Wam way back in January, I thought my year was set and my #1 and #2 spot were already decided.....11 months later, Reckless Love ended up in 8th and Wig Wam barely made the list. 2010 was a long and fruitful year for my style of music.

My top 2 picks were fairly easy to pick and both were released on the same day(I think it was March 19th, my Mommy's B-Day) Treat’s 'Coup De Grace' and Crashdïet’s 'Generation Wild'. The toughest part was picking which deserved to be at the top spot. I couldn’t decide so they both ended in a tie for the top spot.

Here is my list, along my picks as the top songs from each release.

1. (tie) TREAT – Coup De Grace

Best tracks – No Way Without You, We Own The Night, All For Love, Skies Of Mongolia

1. (tie) CRASHDÏET – Generation Wild

Best tracks – Chemical, Bound To Fall, Save Her, Generation Wild

3. VEGA – Kiss Of Life

Best Tracks – SOS, One Of A Kind, Stay With Me, Into The Wild

4. ALLEN LANDE – The Showdown

Best Tracks – Bloodlines, We Will Rise Again, Judgement Day, Turn All Into Gold

5. WHITE WIDDOW – s/t

Best Tracks – We’ve Got The Wings, Don’t Fail Me Now, Broken Hearts Won’t Last Forever, One More Day

6. FIRST SIGNAL – s/t

Best Tracks – This City, When You Believe, First Signal, Yesterday’s Rain

7. H.E.A.T. – Freedom Rock

Best Tracks – Everybody Wants To Be Someone, Beg Beg Beg, We’re Gonna Make It To The End, Stay

8. RECKLESS LOVE – s/t

Best Tracks – Beautiful Bomb, One More Time, Back To Paradise, Wild Touch

9. CRAZY LIXX – New Religion

Best Tracks – Blame It On Love, My Medicine, 21 ‘Til I Die, Rock And A Hard Place

10. JETTBACK – Get Your Hands Dirty

Best Tracks – Two Hot Girls, Mother Fucker, When It Comes To Lovin’, Not Even Love

11. TAKING DAWN –Time To Burn (came out in late 2009, but I only got it in 2010)

Best Tracks – Take Me Away, Endlessly, Never Enough, Godless

12. TERRY BROCK – Diamond Blue

Best Tracks – Diamond Blue, It’s You , Jesse’s Gone, A Soldier Falls

13. GREAT BIG SEA – Safe Upon The Shore (totally not HH material, but killer none the less)

Best Tracks – Road To Ruin, Hit The Ground And Run, Safe Upon The Shore, Wandering Ways

14. STORY OF THE YEAR – The Constant

Best Tracks – I’m Alive, The Ghost Of You And I, The Dream Is Over, Holding On To You

15. MUTINY WITHIN – s/t

Best Tracks – Falling Forever, Forsaken, Oblivion, Suffocate

16. BAD CITY – Welcome To The Wasteland

Best Tracks – Call Paul Stanley, Do You Believe In Rock N Roll, Heat Wave, Straight To The Grave

17. WIG WAM – Non Stop Rock N Roll

Best Tracks – Rocket Through My Heart, Still I’m Burning, Wild One, Do Ya Wanna Taste It

18. UNRULY CHILD – Worlds Collide

Best Tracks – Love Is Blind, Read My Mind, Very First Time, When We Were Young

19. CHRIS LANEY – Only Come Out At Night

Best Tracks – One Kiss Tonight, B4 It Is 2 Late, Only Come Out At Night, Rockstar

20. THRIVING IVORY – Through Yourself & Back Again

Best Tracks – On Your Side, Some Kind Of Home, Where We Belong, Love Alone

MY TOP 25 TRACKS of 2010

1.Chemical - CRASHDÏET

2.Everybody Wants To Be Someone – H.E.A.T.

3.Call Paul Stanley – BAD CITY

4.Beautiful Bomb – RECKLESS LOVE

5.Dying For An Angel – AVANTASIA (never bothered buying the disc, the rest is not for me)

6.Two Hot Girls – JETTBLACK

7.No Way Without You/We Own The Night/All For Love – TREAT (Can’t decide which is better)

8.Beg Beg Beg – H.E.A.T.

9.One More Time – RECKLESS LOVE

10.Take Me Away – TAKING DAWN

11.Falling Forever – MUTINY WITHIN

12.This City – FIRST SIGNAL

13.SOS – VEGA

14.Bloodlines – ALLEN-LANDE

15.Save Her – CRASHDÏET

16.Skies Of Mongolia – TREAT

17.Endlessly -TAKING DAWN

18.Rocket Through My Heart – WIG WAM

19.We’ve Got The Wings – WHITE WIDDOW

20.Blame It On Love – CRAZY LIXX

21.When You Believe – FIRST SIGNAL

22.One Of A Kind – VEGA

23.Bound To Fall – CRASHDÏET

24.My Medicine – CRAZY LIXX

25.Don’t Fail Me Now – WHITE WIDDOW

Okay, so my list isn't 100% complete yet, there are still a few 2010 albums I don't own that might make the list (such as Elvenking) but for the most part this is how my picks for the year go.

20. Angra - Aqua

19. Scorpions - Sting in the Tail

18. Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

17. Avantasia - Angel of Babylon

16. Freedom Call - Legend of the Shadowking

15. Finntroll - Nifelvind

14. Grave Digger - The Clans Will Rise Again

13. Grand Illusion - Brand New World

12. Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

11. Equilibrium - Rekreatur

10. Rhapsody of Fire - The Frozen Tears of Angels

09. Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied Pt. II: A Midnight Autumn's Dream

08. Helloween - 7 Sinners

07. Kalmah - 12 Gauge

06. Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony

05. Eluveitie - Everything Remains as It Never Was

04. Crashdïet - Generation Wild

03. H.e.a.t. - Freedom Rock

02. Sabaton - Coat of Arms

01. Reckless Love - Reckless Love

My top 10 albums for the year:

01: Reckless Love - S/T

02: Jettblack - Get your hands dirty

03: Rock Sugar - Reimaginator

04: Ratt - Infestation

05: Erik Gronwall - Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

06: Buckcherry - All night long

07: Fozzy - Chasing the grail

08: Nelson - Lightning strikes twice

09: Dan Reed - Coming up for air

10: Bangalore Choir - Cadence

This list isnt in any particular order, with the exception of the top two placings, as they were by far my most played albums of 2010.

Others that just missed out included Airbourne & Enuff Z Nuff, purely being based on the other 10 were just that little bit more special.

I also didnt include best ofs, covers albums (although made an exception for Rock Sugar based on the concept being slightly different), live albums or rarities/demos type albums.

The Vince Neil and LA Guns covers albums would have been worthy of a slot in the top 10 as well, if I had not excluded them.

There are also so many other albums that I havent picked up yet this year, such as the FM one, which I still really need to get, but money has been tight this year, and I had to pick albums based on how much I wanted them and their price.

Biggest let downs this year would have to be the new Iron Maiden, which sent me to sleep it was so cliched and boring, with absolutely no stand out tracks for me, and the Slash solo album, which had some good moments, but was far too patchy.

Other bands like HEAT and Treat would probably have made the list too, if it wasnt for the fact that I didnt find them anywhere near as good as all the hype surrounding them suggested.

Maybe I would have enjoyed them more if I hadnt been expecting so much.

My top releases of 2010

When I got Reckless Love and Wig Wam way back in January, I thought my year was set and my #1 and #2 spot were already decided.....11 months later, Reckless Love ended up in 8th and Wig Wam barely made the list. 2010 was a long and fruitful year for my style of music.

My top 2 picks were fairly easy to pick and both were released on the same day(I think it was March 19th, my Mommy's B-Day) Treat’s 'Coup De Grace' and Crashdïet’s 'Generation Wild'. The toughest part was picking which deserved to be at the top spot. I couldn’t decide so they both ended in a tie for the top spot.

Best tracks – No Way Without You, We Own The Night, All For Love, Skies Of Mongolia

3. VEGA – Kiss Of Life

5. WHITE WIDDOW – s/t

Best Tracks – We’ve Got The Wings, Don’t Fail Me Now, Broken Hearts Won’t Last Forever, One More Day

6. FIRST SIGNAL – s/t

Best Tracks – Everybody Wants To Be Someone, Beg Beg Beg, We’re Gonna Make It To The End, Stay

8. RECKLESS LOVE – s/t

Best Tracks – Blame It On Love, My Medicine, 21 ‘Til I Die, Rock And A Hard Place

Best Tracks – Two Hot Girls, Mother Fucker, When It Comes To Lovin’, Not Even Love

11. TAKING DAWN –Time To Burn (came out in late 2009, but I only got it in 2010)

13. GREAT BIG SEA – Safe Upon The Shore (totally not HH material, but killer none the less)

Best Tracks – Road To Ruin, Hit The Ground And Run, Safe Upon The Shore, Wandering Ways

Best Tracks – I’m Alive, The Ghost Of You And I, The Dream Is Over, Holding On To You

15. MUTINY WITHIN – s/t

Best Tracks – Call Paul Stanley, Do You Believe In Rock N Roll, Heat Wave, Straight To The Grave

Best Tracks – Rocket Through My Heart, Still I’m Burning, Wild One, Do Ya Wanna Taste It

Best Tracks – One Kiss Tonight, B4 It Is 2 Late, Only Come Out At Night, Rockstar

MY TOP 25 TRACKS of 2010

1.Chemical - CRASHDÏET

5.Dying For An Angel – AVANTASIA (never bothered buying the disc, the rest is not for me)

7.No Way Without You/We Own The Night/All For Love – TREAT (Can’t decide which is better)

8.Beg Beg Beg – H.E.A.T.

13.SOS – VEGA

15.Save Her – CRASHDÏET

22.One Of A Kind – VEGA

Nice list Dave - I can't disagree about TREAT thought I also can't understand the fuss about Crashdiet. Surprised UNRULY CHILD is low in your list though, that was a big highlight for me...

My top releases of 2010

3. VEGA – Kiss Of Life

5. WHITE WIDDOW – s/t

6. FIRST SIGNAL – s/t

8. RECKLESS LOVE – s/t

15. MUTINY WITHIN – s/t

MY TOP 25 TRACKS of 2010

1.Chemical - CRASHDÏET

8.Beg Beg Beg – H.E.A.T.

13.SOS – VEGA

15.Save Her – CRASHDÏET

22.One Of A Kind – VEGA

Nice list Dave - I can't disagree about TREAT thought I also can't understand the fuss about Crashdiet. Surprised UNRULY CHILD is low in your list though, that was a big highlight for me...

The fuss about Crashdiet is that it is a rifftastic monster of an album chock full of anthems!

Re Unruly Child, I honestly believe that it includes 4 of the best songs this year in 'Read My Mind', 'When We Were Young', 'Love Is Blind' and 'Very First Time', but there are just too many average songs as well for it to hold a top ten spot for me.

Z, my one surprise at your list is the lofty position of Allen/Lande. It is good, but on repeated listens, I find it very samey and no where near the quality of the debut which is still head and shoulders the best release of the 3.

Cheers

I honestly can't understand anyone on HH who wouldn't love the Crashdïet. It is the best of its genre in years...decades? Almost every song makes me want to belt it out, stick out my tongue, all the while my hands thrusting the all powerful devil horns.

The Unruly Child has 4 great songs, the same that everyone seems to love. While those 4 are great, just like Glen said the rest are average at best. Even the 4 top songs on it didn't even make my top 25 tracks of the year.

The Allen-Lande flows so brilliantly, from track to track, it's so much easier on the ears than the first two releases. Although unlike The Battle it's missing a few over the top tracks to make it even better. I can listen to that one over and over again....I did for a while back in November. I'm thinking the high placement might also be the fact the disc just came a few months ago. I have a feeling the same can be said about the VEGA, which I just got in early December. The VEGA is great, however the vocals are my only complaint, Workman sounds like he's trying to pull off a Scandi accent or tone with his vox, all the while I think he's English...right? The songs on this one are top notch all the way.

I honestly can't understand anyone on HH who wouldn't love the Crashdïet. It is the best of its genre in years...decades? Almost every song makes me want to belt it out, stick out my tongue, all the while my hands thrusting the all powerful devil horns.

The Unruly Child has 4 great songs, the same that everyone seems to love. While those 4 are great, just like Glen said the rest are average at best. Even the 4 top songs on it didn't even make my top 25 tracks of the year.

The Allen-Lande flows so brilliantly, from track to track, it's so much easier on the ears than the first two releases. Although unlike The Battle it's missing a few over the top tracks to make it even better. I can listen to that one over and over again....I did for a while back in November. I'm thinking the high placement might also be the fact the disc just came a few months ago. I have a feeling the same can be said about the VEGA, which I just got in early December. The VEGA is great, however the vocals is my only complaint, Workman sounds like he's trying to pull off a Scandi accent or tone with his vox, all the while I think he's English...right? The songs on this one are top notch all the way.

Totally agree on the Crashdiet. Excellent band.

I just got the Allen/Lande yesterday and while it's not as goods as The Battle it's much better on the 2nd spin than the 1st and overall seems to be heavier IMO(not that that's a bad thing) and is slightly similar to Magnus' The Codex project(which I loved).

I agree. Not since the bands like Shotgun Messiah, Dangerous Toys, Dirty Looks, GNR, etc. have I been so into music and this genre in particular. Off the top of my head I would say discovering Crashdiet, from this board no less, is the main reason I am back to searching out that next sleaze fix....and that has pushed me back out searching for other genres again whether it is melodic rock, melodic metal, take your pick. Basically, Crashdiet is one of the main bands that got me excited about pretty much all HH.com music again. There is life after the 80's and Headbangers Ball! Hell yeah! :banger:

I think what misled me was that a lot of people called it Melodic Rock and compared it to the Def Leppard sound (are these people deaf?), suggesting it was pure Commercial MHR when it isn't. I should've ignored them & probably should've checked out their image a little more as I never liked the sleazy Hard Rock sound at all. IMO only the Reckless Love disc really crossed the boundaries between Sleaze and MR as that one hits the mark...

I agree. Not since the bands like Shotgun Messiah, Dangerous Toys, Dirty Looks, GNR, etc. have I been so into music and this genre in particular. Off the top of my head I would say discovering Crashdiet, from this board no less, is the main reason I am back to searching out that next sleaze fix....and that has pushed me back out searching for other genres again whether it is melodic rock, melodic metal, take your pick. Basically, Crashdiet is one of the main bands that got me excited about pretty much all HH.com music again. There is life after the 80's and Headbangers Ball! Hell yeah! :banger:

Agreed, but having said that....Crazy Lixx is on a par with it (I had it marginally better actually), and also Hardcore Superstar and Distorted Wonderland newies are very close to being there too....in fact if those 2 acousticy numbers on HS were more rocky that would probably have been my top sleaze album of 2010!

Cheers

Dave you're a wonderful man. I hope I'm not too far off dropping my final list/s but I can say without doubt that your list will be the closest to mine, by far. Ridiculously close in places. In 100% honesty, I thought of tying Crashdiet and Treat for the top spot too. I honestly did. But in the end I just had to force myself to pick one and I went with Treat. But I agree there is nothing between them. All that got Treat above the line in the end was a bit more variety in the tracks.

As for Allen/Lande, I tend to agree with Glen. Seemed awesome at first, but it dropped about 20 places after a few spins. Good stuff, but just not really sticking with me that well.

What does Great Big Sea sound like?

Okay, I'm too impatient. Here's my lists. It gets a little shady after the top 30 or so, but the order up till then is pretty accurate. Here's my summary for 2010 releases:

MHR:

1 . Treat - Coup de grace

As I said in a thread, I did consider having a joint number one spot with Crashdiet, but this got to the top spot in the end based on the excellent variety of tracks and consistency throughout. Every side of melodic hard rock covered here, and covered well.

2 . Crashdiet - Generation wild

Brilliant CD and their best yet, imo. One after another, every song is just excellent.

3 . HEAT - Freedom rock

Disappointed with the different versions of this going around. With the inclusion of 'Tonight' and 'Living in a memory' and taking out the dreadful 'High on life', this is a killer CD. And well deserved of the 3rd spot.

4 . White Widdow - s/t

Never thought I'd see an Aussie CD in a current top 10, but these guys come out with a relatively simple gameplan and just execute it perfectly. There is no hint of a weak track on this CD and everytime I hear it I get excited, songs sit lodged in my head for days.

5 . Crazy Lixx - New religion

Originally a contender for the top spot this one just dropped a few places at the end. Still has some of the best songs of 2010 but in the end I just preferred the 4 above it as overall efforts.

6 . Issa - Sign of angels

Not many got on board this train, but for me this is one of, if not the best female fronted CDs I've heard. A couple of weaker moments, but on the strength of the best tracks (and there's alot of them) I believe this totally deserves this place in the top 10.

7 . Vega - The kiss of life

Another brilliant disc most the way through. And 'Stay with me' is my favourite song of 2010. Love the vocals, love the songs. Only issue is the weaker production / drum sound, but that can't take away from a killer melodic rock disc.

8 . Reckless Love - s/t

Another one with a couple of fillers but again it's the strength of the plentiful stack of great tracks that kept this one lingering in my top 10.

9 . Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

Their finest album in years. No weak moments on here and even the 2nd version of 'It comes at night' is worthwhile. Love hearing these guys do what they do best.

10 . All I Know - Vanity kills

One of the surprises of the year. Good fresh sound, killer hooks. A really enjoyable CD.

11 . First Signal - s/t

12 . Terry Brock - Diamond Blue

13 . Shining Line - s/t

14 . Taking Dawn - Time to burn

15 . Mad Max - Welcome America

16 . Axident Avenue - Shaken and disturbed

17 . Bad City - Welcome to the wasteland

18 . Jettblack - Get your hands dirty

19 . Ratt - Infestation

20 . Loveblast - s/t

21 . Chris Laney - Only come out at night

22 . Distorted Wonderland - s/t

23 . Shylock - Rock buster

24 . The Giant Leap - s/t

25 . Degreed - Life love loss

26 . Newman - The art of balance

27 . Wig Wam - Non stop rock n'roll

28 . Nelson - Lightening strikes twice

29 . Unruly Child - Worlds collide

30 . Giant - Promise land

31 . Stan Bush - Dream the dream

32 . Skull Daze - s/t

33 . Negative - Neon

34 . Allen/Lande - The showdown

35 . Auras - New generation

36 . Smilek - Stranded

37 . Edge of Forever - Another paradise

38 . Human Temple - Murder of crows

39 . FM - Metropolis

40 . Bangalore Choir - Cadence

41 . State of Rock - A point of destiny

42 . Avantasia - Angel of Babylon & Wicked Symphony

43 . Rick Springfield & Jeff Silverman - From the vault

44 . Grand Illusion - Brand new world

45 . Wicked Sensation - Crystallized

46 . Serpentine - A touch of heaven

47 . Last Autumn's Dream - A touch of heaven

48 . Danger Angel - s/t

49 . Hungryheart - One ticket to paradise

50 . Worlds Apart - Clean slate

51 . Mr Big - What if…

52 . Houston - s/t

53 . Prime Suspect - s/t

54 . Liberty N' Justice - Light it up

55 . Hansel - Never say die

56 . Mark Sweeny - All in

57 . Michael Bormann - Different

58 . Scorpions - Sting in the tail

59 . Two Fires - Burning bright

60 . Pussy Sisster - s/t

61 . Angeline - Confessions

62 . China - Light up the dark

63 . Stage Dolls - Always

64 . Skills In Veins - s/t

65 . Furyon - Gravitas

66 . Pangea - Retrospectacular

67 . Perfect View - Hold your dreams

68 . TNT - A farewell to arms

69 . Line of Fire - Momentum

70 . Strangeways - Perfect world

71 . Mass - Sea of black

72 . Keel - Steets of rock n'roll

73 . Axel Rudy Pell - The crest

74 . Y & T -Facemelter

75 . Rock Sugar - Reimaginator

76 . Tunnel - s/t

77 . N.O.W. - Force of nature

78 . Bombay Black - Love you to death

79 . Krokus - Hoodoo

80 . Killer Klown - Gain

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modern rock:

1 . Hinder - All American nightmare

Initial disappointment at a couple of weak tracks aside, this really proved to be a stayer. So many great songs still on offer and although the ADTR CD is slightly more consistent, the best tracks on this one put it in the top spot for 2010.

2 . A Day To Remember - What separates me from you

Unexpected, killer CD, this one. Their last CD was great, but this is even better. Every song is a treat, with big catchy chorus after chrorus.

3 . Kids In Glass Houses - Dirt

Probably the overall pleasant surprise of the year for me. Their last CD was plain and simply terrible. This is plain and simply awesome. HUGE amount of killer tracks on this one and a deserved 3rd placing.

4 . Seventh Rain - The Ghost in me

Most exciting newcomers of the year. This one doesn't have a heap of mindblowers on it, but man it has a lot of really great tracks. Nothing new, but done extremely well, I love this one.

5 . Quietdrive - s/t

One of my favourite modern rock bands deliver the goods again with a great disc. Nice mixed bag, totally killer overall.

6 . Just Surrender - Phoenix

In all honesty, probably a little disppointing overall. Three stunning songs and a lot of nice ones. Nothing bad on here, I just have huge expectations for these guys. End of the day, it's still a great CD.

7 . Cinder Road - Damage Control

Good stuff. A few middle-range tracks, but the ballads and more melodic tracks bring this home well. Very good CD.

8 . Bullet For My Valentine - Fever

Love this one. Good, solid metal with one of my picks of the year, 'Bittersweet memories'.

9 . Before Their Eyes - Untouchable

Another early 2010 release that just stuck around due to the great tracks on offer.

10 . Goo Goo Dolls - Something for the rest of us

Total sucker for this band and this CD was a good return to what made me love 'Dizzy up the girl' so much. More consistent that the last few CDs I really dug this.

11 . Anberlin - Dark is the way, Light is a place

12 . Dive - Picture Perfect

13 . Story of the Year - The Constant

14 . Destine - Lightspeed

15 . Stone Sour - Audio secrecy

16 . Thriving Ivory - Through yourself and back again

17 . Erik Gronwall - Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

18 . My Darkest Days - s/t

19 . Lifehouse - Smoke and mirrors

20 . Amber Pacific - Virtues

21 . Disciple - Horseshoes and hand grenades

22 . Blind - The fire remains

23 . Crashcarburn - Long live tonight

24 . Fireflight - For those who wait

25 . In This Moment - A star crossed wasteland

26 . It's Alive - Human Resources

27 . Attack Attack - The latest fashion

28 . You Me At Six - Hold me down

29 . Honor Bright - Action! Drama! Suspense!

30 . Sing It Loud - Everything collide

31 . The Fire - Abracadabra

32 . Runaway City - Armored heart

33 . My Chemical Romance - Danger days

34 . Young Guns - All our kings are dead

35 . Mercy Mercedes - Believe it

36 . Framing Hanley - A promise to burn

37 . Hawthorne Heights - Skeletons

38 . The Bigger Lights - s/t

39 . A Phoenix Forever - This is why we can't have nice things

40 . Rookie of the Year - The most beautiful

41 . Shotgun Revolution - Join the revolution

42 . Escape The Fate - s/t

43 . Jimmy Eat World - Invented

44 . Allister - Countdown to nowhere

45 . Heroes for Hire - Life of the party

46 . Notimefore - Dress up to get down

47 . Senses Fail - The fire

48 . Seasons After - Through tomorrow

49 . Lostprophets- The Betrayed

50 . Beneath Me - Wish I wouldn't care

51 . Surviving Sunrise - s/t

52 . These Four Walls - Down falls and empire

53 . I See Stars - 3D

54 . The Audition - Great danger

55 . Mutiny Within - s/t

56 . The Classic Crime - Vagabonds

57 . My Last Fall - Clocks in slowmotion

58 . Number One Gun - To the secrets and knowledge

59 . Motion City Soundtrack - My dinosaur life

60 . Secret & Whisper - Teenage fantasy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I think I could comfortably call it the best year in music for a very, very long time. Picking the top MHR releases was a bit of a nightmare, and the fact that I'm still naming very good releases well up into the mid 60's in my list... well, it speaks for itself. So much great music to chose from.

There was a lot of talk about the poor year in modern rock and by recent standards it was quite slow, but I still got a lot of it. A lot of later releases in the year were pleasant surprises and I also get the impression that a few of the better releases passed by a few.

I'm holding my hands up this year. I haven't bought as much as I would usually by a long stretch. There's NEW albums I want to hear but more often than not I've given the option of buying the latest release the old heave ho and I've plumped for something from the past that I've always wanted to hear instead. Thing is for example I've thought yeah I'll get the Nelson album when I have the money (coz I do like Nelson BIG TIME although now they seem like cast offs from a version of Suite Life on Deck with Zack and Cody).... but I've had the money and gone for something that intrigues me more. And that at the moment nails it for me, I love my AOR, Melodic rock, e.t.c. and this has supposedly been a good year for it, maybe it has been and it's passed me by, maybe I've reached the point where I've pursued this music to such a point where i'm bored of it....I dunno, soul searching time. All I know is I love (what I perceive as) good music be it Kevin Ayers or Lemmy, stuff that makes you want to dance, bang your head, shout "FUCK YEAH!" or "I WANNA ROCK", makes you laugh, makes memories, makes you stop and think, makes you wanna drink, makes you want to relax, makes you want to look into the eyes of the one you love and say..."change the CD babe!"...haha, makes you happy to be alive, it's dirty, it's sexy...it's baaaaad, then it's worthwhile. I'm just searching again I guess....anyway here's my top stuff for what it's worth, some maybe not HH orientated, but still rock music...

Can't decide between the top 3!

1 Storys - Luck

1 Horizontal Ladies Club - Galloping into the Western Hemisphere

1 Pavlov's Dog - Echo & Boo

4 Unruly Child - Worlds Collide

5 Lionsex - Get It

6 Jackdaw 4 - The Eternal Struggle for Justice

7 Adam Bomb - Crazy Mother Fucker

8 State Cows - State Cows

9 Flamedown E.P

10 Frost - The Philadephia Experiment

11 Crashdiet - Generation Wild

12 John Waite - In Real Time

Re-Issues

1 The Godz - s/t

2 1994 - Please Stand By...

3 Riff Raff - Vinyl Futures

4 Kevin Gilbert - Nuts (re-issue???? dunno...never released but obviously not new stuff!)

5 Export - Living in Fear of the Private Eye

6 Triumph - Diamond Collection

• 4 weeks later...

Over a month late, but never mind. Here's the little list of the goodies that tickled my fancy last year. One of the best years musically I can remember and it was quite a close run thing between all the titles in the top 10, except my number one, which was a clear winner and one of the best cd's I heard in a very long time.

1. Steve Lukather - All's Well That Ends Well

Basically allI could ask for in an album. Great songs, although lyrically quite dark, and very varied in style, ranging from the Toto'ish stuff, some excellent ballads, to the more Steely Dan and fusion type stuff that Steve is equally at home with. All this backed up with a great band aswell. Superb disc in all departments and a clear winner for my number one spot.

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

A bit of a late entry this one and wow! what an entry. I must admit to being completely underwhelmed with quite a lot of so called AOR releases over the last 5 or so years, so this came as a really nice surprise and put my faith back into the genre somewhat. Well written, ballsy AOR, beautifully produced and played. Here's to album number 2 (and quickly please)

3. The Storm (DK) - Black Luck

Thanx to Dan for turning me onto this one and his description in his years run down completely fits this. Modern hard rock with some Sweet Female vocals ala The Corrs and Wilson Phillips. Don't let that description put you off, this is a fantastic record.

4. Houston - S/T

Pure AOR is the name of the game and a very very good record this one is, if you haven't yet checked it out. Sugary sweet and very a typical 80's in sound, but with songs this good, who cares if it isn't exactly strikingly original. Try tracking down the new Euro version with 2 extra tracks, which are very nice aswell.

5. Scorpions - Sting In The Tail

A top contender from early on in the year for me and one that has firmly stood it's ground when all sorts of excellent albums were being released and vying for position. Razor sharp riffs as you come to expect from the Scorps and one of the best albums in their long career. If this is to be their last album, then they have bowed out in superb fashion.

6. Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

I was never a major fan of this band to be totally honest and as with Danger Dangers superb 'Revolve' disc did last year, I wasn't expecting too much from it and it only goes and nails a top 10 position. Bloomin' glad I did invest in this, as it is a quite marvellous mix of the hard and the smooth. tracks like 'INVU', 'Little Drops Of Heaven' and 'One World One Truth' killers one and all.

7. H.E.A.T - Freedom Rock

Excellent follow up to and excellent debut. Just about everything a MR would want on this one and definitely one of the most consistent albums songwise this year. I still think the debut pips this one at the post, but it's a close run thing.

8. Molly Hatchet - Justice

Always a highlight of the year when Hatchet release a new album and 2010 was no different. Infact I will say this is their best album in probably the last 20 years or more, it's that strong.

9. Treat - Coup De Grace

Great band, great album that fits nicely into an alredy pretty impressive discography. I don't quite rate it as highly as alot of other people in these parts (and elsewhere), but no denying it's a damn great disc, worthy of anyones top spots.

10 - Lordi - Babez For Breakfast

As i've said before, you either like this band or you don't. I happen to love 'em musically, with their usual razor sharp riffs and catchy chrouses all over this very very good album. Not as good as the mighty 'Arokalypse' album but definitely the 2nd best of thier career so far.

11. FM - Metropolis

12. Dan Reed - Coming Up For Air

13. Crashdiet - Generation Wild

14. Michael W. Smith - Wonder

15. Spock's Beard - X

16. Halford - Made Of Metal

17. White Widdow - S/T

18. Edge Of Forever - Another Paradise

19. Terry Brock - Diamond Blue

20. First Signal - S/T

21. Brian Howe - Circus Bar

22. Unruly Child - Worlds Collide

23. Giant - Promise Land

24. Finntroll - Nifelvind

25. Allen/Lande - The Showdown

26. James LaBrie - Static Impulse

27. Stone Sour - Audio Secrecy

28. Asia - Omega

29. The Enid - Journeys End

30. Tank - War Machine

31. Moritz - Undivided

32. Wig Wam - Non Stop Rock 'n' Roll

33. State Cows - S/T

34. Kissin' Dynamite - Addicted To Metal

35. Newman - The Art Of Balance

36. Stan Bush - Dream The Dream

37. Nelson - Lightning Strikes Twice

38. Joe Elliot's Down 'n' Outz - Re-Generation

39. Jump - The Beachcomber

40. Hardcore Superstar Split Your Lip

41. Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

42. Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony/ Angel Of Babylon

43. Crazy Lixx - New Religion

44. Issa - Sign Of Angels

45. Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra

46. Black Country Communion - S/T

47. Krokus - Hoodoo

48. Ozzy Osbourne - Scream

49. Grand Illusion - Brand New World

50. Phenomena - Blind Faith

Nice one, mate. Always interested to see your thoughts.

All seems pretty much in line with what I'd have expected bar one gigantic exception. After the bollocking you gave White Widdow on this forum, at every opportunity, you rated them at 17th, above stuff you praised throughout the year? Glad you came to your senses, but what's up with that, mate? Perhaps you were a bit harsh on them, I dare say? ;)

All seems pretty much in line with what I'd have expected bar one gigantic exception. After the bollocking you gave White Widdow on this forum, at every opportunity, you rated them at 17th, above stuff you praised throughout the year? Glad you came to your senses, but what's up with that, mate? Perhaps you were a bit harsh on them, I dare say? ;)

I'm pretty sure I said it was a very good album (bar the one dimensional and overuse of keys) and I didn't rate it as highly as alot of people were making out. Looking at my list from 15 - 30 it was pretty close to be honest, so maybe I was feeling generous. ;)

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

A bit of a late entry this one and wow! what an entry. I must admit to being completely underwhelmed with quite a lot of so called AOR releases over the last 5 or so years, so this came as a really nice surprise and put my faith back into the genre somewhat. Well written, ballsy AOR, beautifully produced and played. Here's to album number 2 (and quickly please)

Second album written - just awaiting the record companies say to start the recording process :-))

Nice list with a few surprises, not least Tel Brock and First Signal in the lowly positions of 19/20?? Stonkingly great albums for me.

Cheers.

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

Second album written - just awaiting the record companies say to start the recording process :-))

Nice list with a few surprises, not least Tel Brock and First Signal in the lowly positions of 19/20?? Stonkingly great albums for me.

Cheers.

With a year as good as last year, 19-20 is still a very good placing and as I said above, there really wasn't that much between 10-30 if I am honest - great albums one and all. I had another 50 odd discs lined up that didn't even get a mentioned.

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

Cheers.

19/20 would be a good position, if you didn't have stuff like FM higher up! Is the Houston disc really that good, I haven't checked it out yet?

With a year as good as last year, 19-20 is still a very good placing and as I said above, there really wasn't that much between 10-30 if I am honest - great albums one and all. I had another 50 odd discs lined up that didn't even get a mentioned.

Just realised looking at my list I made 2 big howlers which I completely left off. The superb 'Neon' by Negative which should have been at number 8 and Reckless Love which sits somewhere between 10-15 :doh:

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

Cheers.

19/20 would be a good position, if you didn't have stuff like FM higher up! Is the Houston disc really that good, I haven't checked it out yet?

I think this comment got lost because you suck, but no, the Houston disc isn't really that good. ;)

Nah, I kid, it's a nice safe disc but I can pretty much guarantee it'll do nothing for you. Who knows, though, you may surprise me. I just thought it was nice safe AOR, but compared to what else was released in 2010 it wasn't anything special, imo, of course. :)

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

Cheers.

I think this comment got lost because you suck, but no, the Houston disc isn't really that good. ;)

Nah, I kid, it's a nice safe disc but I can pretty much guarantee it'll do nothing for you. Who knows, though, you may surprise me. I just thought it was nice safe AOR, but compared to what else was released in 2010 it wasn't anything special, imo, of course. :)

Tim, youd hate it as it sounds like it came right out of 1985...with no modern updates/production or anything.

I really like it tho and am going to see them in London.....although judging by their sound I reckon they might be performing in soft focus ;-))

2. Vega - Kiss Of Life

Cheers.

Tim, youd hate it as it sounds like it came right out of 1985...with no modern updates/production or anything.

So no cookie-monster vocals then? Sounds dull. Seriously I did see it pretty cheap on Amazon so may snap it up for a listen...