Nirvana - Nevermind

Never mind?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen some discussion on this album on here and opinion seems to be divided, so I was just interested to get an idea of whether people like or detest it.

It's overrated as hell and is certainly not deserving of its iconic status in the slightest (it's not the second coming of Jesus Christ for cryin' out loud, it's just a plain ole punk rock album ... that happened to be in the right place at the right time!!!)...that said, I've always liked it. I was just thinking the other day that I am way overdue in upgrading that album to CD.

One of the first albums that got me into rock music so it has a special place in my heart. Sure it's been overplayed to death, but it sure does have some great, catchy tunes and I can still put this one on and listen to it all the way through.

I went for average, don't hold much love for it but I don't depise it....pretty overrated in my book, I prefered Pearl Jam's Ten at the time. And I eventually bored of that too haha!

Holy shit this album was the death to our kind of music. Everyone on this board better say THEY FUCKING HATE IT!!!!!!!!

The Death of our music was due to over saturation of hair bands the label's signed.

They signed band's that didn't deserve to be signed. I also believe the record sales dropped do to the popularity of used discs..

I myself started to stray into the more THRASH, DEATH, and HARDCORE direction, due to the same bullshit video's played by MTV.

I used to play NEVERMIND alot when it first came out..At the same time, I can't really say I was caught up in the whole Grunge scene. I liked a few albums and I bought them..

My love for Nirvana started with BLEACH anyway. When NEVERMIND came out, I went out and got it.

With that being said, I truely doubt I helped kill Hair metal or Melodic rock..

Completely overrated crock band (except for the mighty Dave Grohl who went on to so much better things with the magic Foo'ies) and a piece of shit album to boot. Next.

Holy shit this album was the death to our kind of music. Everyone on this board better say THEY FUCKING HATE IT!!!!!!!!

The Death of our music was due to over saturation of hair bands the label's signed.

They signed band's that didn't deserve to be signed. I also believe the record sales dropped do to the popularity of used discs..

I myself started to stray into the more THRASH, DEATH, and HARDCORE direction, due to the same bullshit video's played by MTV.

I used to play NEVERMIND alot when it first came out..At the same time, I can't really say I was caught up in the whole Grunge scene. I liked a few albums and I bought them..

My love for Nirvana started with BLEACH anyway. When NEVERMIND came out, I went out and got it.

True, this is the time I started to get big into Black and Death metal because it's the only type of metal I could find (online shopping wasn't that big yet). I think because of Nirvana the record companies refused to sign and re-sign any hair bands.

So if you weren't grunge you weren't getting a record deal.

Completely overrated crock band (except for the mighty Dave Grohl who went on to so much better things with the magic Foo'ies) and a piece of shit album to boot. Next.

My feelings exactly. I have both feet firmly in the 'it's a piece of stinking shit' camp. Just hate the album and REALLY hate "Teen Spirit", that song really grates on me. As far as annoying hit singles go, I'd rather listen to "Star Trekkin'".

Word up. BLEACH and NEVERMIND were great records. IN UTERO, not so much. Their MTV UNPLUGGED disc has some good stuff on it too.

As for what "killed" hair metal (or metal in general), the metal/hard rock bands themselves were doing a pretty good job of making themselves obsolete by that time. The bands had gotten so used to routinely selling zillions of records without even really trying that the whole damn scene had been on auto pilot for a couple of years. The scene was oversaturated, and people stopped giving a sh*t. It's that simple.

If Nirvana hadn't come along at that point in time, it would've been somebody else. People were simply looking for something different.

And of course, just like they did during the hair metal boom, the major labels got wind that this "grunge" thing was getting to be popular, signed zillions of sound-alikes, and humped the f*ck out of THAT trend till everyone got sick of it. Then they moved onto the next trend. And so on, and so on.

I stand by my earlier statement: NEVERMIND is/was a pretty damn good record. As the saying goes, don't hate the players, hate the game.

I went for the middle option, but its not 100% correct.

I actually think the albums is a piece of shit, much like the band themselves, but there is 2 great tracks on it (Smells like and Come as you are) and probably 2 ok tracks, the rest is tripe of the highest order.

I'd say the band was untalented and overrated, but that would be unfair to Grohl, who is extremely talented.

I always said that the best thing to happen to Grohl was Cobain offing himself.

Not only did he form a band that has some great upbeat rock tunes, but he also learned to smile.

Also, any writing, production or guest muso work he has done, has been down to his work in Foo Fighters, and hardly anyone mentions Nirvana.

Although they obviously were the biggest rock band around back when grunge hit, I am not so sure they would be held in such high regard today if things hadnt come to a head (pun intended) with Cobain.

Its like The Big Bopper. If he hadnt been in the plane with Buddy and Richie, he wouldnt even be remembered today.

Its like The Big Bopper. If he hadnt been in the plane with Buddy and Richie, he wouldnt even be remembered today.

Very true ! At least for me .........

It was a massive album at the time, but definitely overrated.

For me the best songs are actually towards the end...'Drain Me' and 'On A Plain'.

However far better 'grunge' albums were to follow IMHO.

For a start, Puddle Of Mudd's debut 'Come Clean' has a very similar sound (esp the vocals), but the songs are a million times better IMO.

:agree: Plus some of the good bands never had a chance because of lack of support & promotion from the label themselves (MCA Records comes to mind). Just like Junky I also went into a more hardcore/punk/thrash direction just for a change of pace. I also liked "Nevermind" when it came out because THAT was a change from what I was listening to at the time. But I also liked Soundgarden & Mother Love Bone (pre Pearl Jam) before the whole grundge explosion & had actually seen Nirvana live before "Nevermind" even came out & had liked what I heard...

Um...back when it came out I loved it. I had no idea it would mean the death of hair metal, but it was a pretty kick ass release. I bought Bleach shortly after Nevermind and loved it as well. Is this type of music better than hair metal? I'd say no, but it's not worse than it either. It's too bad the 2 couldn't co-exist. But damn, this turned the music scene on its head. Much like Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction did when it came out. To this day I can still listen to it and I still enjoy the album. So let the stone throwing commence :P

Nevermind is ok, but i still think "Alice in Chains" were a far better band!

I'd rather listen to "Star Trekkin'".

A classic :bowdown::whistle: