Best band replacements

Jimbo

I have been guilty of passing on a CD by a band I usually like simply because a certain member is no longer with the group. More often than not, I grab the disc later on a whim only to find that it's as good or better than the albums before it.

Who are some of the guys you can think of that did a good job of replacing a rock superstar? Here's some of mine...

1. Eric Singer - KISS

When Eric Carr passed away I thought KISS was doomed. Instead they found a drummer in Eric Singer who was not only a beast on the kit, but could sing, too. Good replacement. Then Peter Criss came back. Oh well...

2. Ronnie James Dio - Black Sabbath

Who wants to replace Ozzy Osbourne? Not easy to do, but RJD did a great job. The Mob Rules is a great tune and most of Sab's songs during this period are really energetic and strong. Points to our favorite Elf.

3. Reb Beach - Dokken

George Lynch to many WAS Dokken. Forget Don's crystal clear vocals or Mick's dead on drumming. This hair metal quartet was Lynch's baby, so when he left so did I. But then I heard some of the Reb Beach tunes and thought, WOW! It's still Dokken after all. And it's better than Lynch Mob, too. (Sorry, Mr. Scary.)

What are some others? ;)

Carlos Cavazo had some shoes to fill when joining Quiet Riot. Randy was small, but had some big shoes!

Come to think of it, Jake E Lee and Zakk Wylde did as well when joining Ozzy

1.Sammy Hagar-Van Halen

Even though I am a Van Halen fan WITH DLR,Sammy Hagar was a good fit for VH at the time.The direction the band took would may not have worked as well with DLR or anyome else for that matter as we seen with Gary Cherone.

2.Kee Marcello-Europe

Taking over for John Norum I think Marcello did a nice job on guitar.There guitar styles are similar so I think that is what made the transition smoother.

Steve Augeri-Journey

What can be said...........they have to have the same "lead vocal gene" I have never heard anyone sound so much like someone else it is erie.Perfect fit to replace Steve Perry I mean they almost look alike.

Bruce Dickinson- much much better than DiAnno. I'd also say Ian Gillan vs the previous singers of Sabbath. I really don't care much for Ozzy sabbath, and while I liked Dio I liked Gillan even more. Of course, he only did one album, but Glen Hughes was awesome in Sab', too.

Another good replacement: Tony Harnell joining TNT. I really liked the original singer a lot, (can't recall his name, too lazy to go downstairs & look at the liner notes! :lol: ), but Harnell is fantastic.

Andi Deris of Helloween. I completely quit listening to Helloween when the original singer left, but lo & behold, the latest two Helloween albums are better than any of their classic stuff, IMOHO. I still love Michael Kiske's voice, and I'm not saying Deris is 'better', just saying Andi does a wicked job of filling his shoes.

Some others:

Jason Newstead- Hard shoes to fill when one of the best bass players ever took a dirt nap.

What about that Scott guy....would you want to follow Axel Rose?

And.....Wouldn't you say that Tim "Ripper" Owens did a nice job with Priest???

Late

Bad Company. The Brian Howe era was great and put out Hits. Even if they didn't have any hits the music was still fantastic and overlooked. Brians voice, while not blues drenched like Paul, was great for 80's rock and reminds of a Bad English feel but much better.

I'm a huge Tony Martin fan, and despite their lack of any real hits during his time in the Black Sabbath those albums are my favorites.

Tommy Paris did a great job replacing Dizzy in Britny Fox--Bite Down Hard was one album I avoided on purpose for quite a while until I came to my senses.

And I agree with SHK on Steve Augeri in Journey. Steve Perry should be pissed that the guys in the band stole some of his DNA and cloned him. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Jimi Jamison replacing David Bickler in Survivor - both great vocalists, but Jimi just seemed to bring more success to the band...

Spot on, Bickler was good but Jamison was/is great :tumbsup:

Some other good ones of late have been Arnel Pineda {Journey} and Doug Aldrich and Chris Frazer {Whitesnake}

They were all big shoes to fill and done very well. :tumbsup:

1980...Eric Carr was a huge upgrade as a drummer over Peter Criss in Kiss

That would not have been a hard thing to do :whistle:

1980...Eric Carr was a huge upgrade as a drummer over Peter Criss in Kiss

That would not have been a hard thing to do :whistle:

As Peter Griffin of "Family Guy" sez, "Even Peter Criss doesn't want to be Peter Criss!"

my thoughts excactly

John Corabi - Motley Crue: A far superior voice to Vince, the self titled album was arguably Motley Crue's most consistent release to date. Heavier and more groove orientated than previous offerings, shame they felt the need to re-appoint Vince in order to (attempt to) recapture past glories.

:angry:

I'm a huge Tony Martin fan, and despite their lack of any real hits during his time in the Black Sabbath those albums are my favorites.

tony martin's era with black sab is most definately underated , speaking of which, i hope he releases his alliance demos which imho is top grade mid 80's AOR!

did you think much of his bluesy solo album from the 90's?

• 4 months later...

tony martin's era with black sab is most definately underated , speaking of which, i hope he releases his alliance demos which imho is top grade mid 80's AOR!

I really like the two albums he did with Black Sabbath.

I really like the two albums he did with Black Sabbath.

Which 2 mate?, he did 5?! :unsure::tumbsup:

I didn't want to buy the new Jaded Heart, but it was just as awesome as the previous, the previous I didn't want to buy because of the new singer, also very wrong, And I second the Tommy Parris on Britny Fox cd, that disc blows everything they did away!