New Dokken!

chocularok

Pretty cool sounding tune!

From Sleazroxx.com

"Dokken Returns With "Almost Over" Single

January 26, 2010

Dokken has returned with a brand new single entitled "Almost Over". The latest song from the 80s melodic rock legends is available at both Amazon.com and www.itunes.com, with a short sample available here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...K/sleazeroxx-20

The song is from Dokken's upcoming Greatest Hits CD to be released later this year through Deadline Records. The new collection will include a collection of all-new versions of tracks such as "Dream Warriors", "Breaking the Chains" and "Just Got Lucky", paired with several new songs and a cover of "Lies" by The Knickerbockers.

Courtesy of www.sleazeroxx.com and www.dokken.net"

0127dok.jpg

Typical shit sample from an online MP3 store. I have never figured out how they choose where to pull their samples....middle of the song, end of the song, no chorus, some chorus. Idiots.

Anyway, cool to know it is out there, thanks!

Deadline Records? Ugh. I didn't even know they were still in business...

Yeah, useless sample but sounds interesting. But I vomit on another best of CD.

True, it's a "best of", but it's rerecorded versions of their classics with a few new songs thrown in. I for one am really looking forward to hearing Levin's take on the classic songs.

I for one am really looking forward to hearing Levin's take on the classic songs.

Betcha they're gonna sound pretty much like George Lynch is playing on them... Levin's playing is so Lynch-ian (I made up a new word!) that you can almost imagine Don beating him with a stick in the recording studio, like "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like George Lynch!" :rofl:

I for one am really looking forward to hearing Levin's take on the classic songs.

Betcha they're gonna sound pretty much like George Lynch is playing on them... Levin's playing is so Lynch-ian (I made up a new word!) that you can almost imagine Don beating him with a stick in the recording studio, like "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like George Lynch!" :rofl:

:rofl2:

Definitely looking forward to hearing John Levin's leads,im assuming these are true to form renditions (as they do 'em live) and not another Lynch Mob 'Revolution' deviation ? Wasn't this supposed to come out last year?

Yeah, hopefully they're true renditions of the originals. As good as the classic Dokken songs are, the sound quality is for shit. Hearing these rerecorded with a littlemore "umph" should be kick ass. Of course Don won't be hitting those high notes, but I'll take the trade off.

I heard this complete song today and I had to play 3 times in a row.

It might not be the best thing they've ever done but I think it fucking rocks.

Yeah, not a bad tune. It's pretty middle-range for Dokken, but it definitely a good hard rocking tune. Killer solo too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another sample...

http://www.cleorecs.com/audio_preview4.htm

Also interesting of note...the artwork for the new greatest hits album shown below was originally going to be used for the japanese version of "Hell To Pay".

Dokken_BreakinTheChains_T.jpg

It propably gonna hurt like hell hearing Don singing the old songs rerecorded again. They must have tuned some of them down around a million keys just so Don can sound ok singing on them. It is really sad to say this; but Don is really the weakest link in his own band today although he almost made the great Lghtning strikes album.

Here's another sample...

http://www.cleorecs.com/audio_preview4.htm

Also interesting of note...the artwork for the new greatest hits album shown below was originally going to be used for the japanese version of "Hell To Pay".

Dokken_BreakinTheChains_T.jpg

I actually have a t-shirt with this artwork on it and it says "Hell To Pay" where it now says "Greatest Hits." So, they must have used it at some point. It's a cool picture.

• 1 month later...

You can now hear samples of most of the songs (the two cover tunes, "Bus Stop" and "Lies" are not included here) on Itunes: http://itunes.apple....ded/id365445326

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've heard a couple of the re-recorded versions, and I'm sorry to report, they suck. Sure, the sound quality is better. But Don's voice is nearly gone. "Just Got Lucky" doesn't seem like too challenging a song, right? Yet he couldn't even managte that, and basically monotoned it. The only reason they're even doing this record is so they (meaning Don) can own the rights to the songs, even shitty new versions, so he can then sell them to be used in TV commercials, movies, video games or whatever.

Well, I've heard a couple of the re-recorded versions, and I'm sorry to report, they suck. Sure, the sound quality is better. But Don's voice is nearly gone. "Just Got Lucky" doesn't seem like too challenging a song, right? Yet he couldn't even managte that, and basically monotoned it. The only reason they're even doing this record is so they (meaning Don) can own the rights to the songs, even shitty new versions, so he can then sell them to be used in TV commercials, movies, video games or whatever.

backed, this doesnt interest me one iota.

backed, this doesnt interest me one iota.

It's really no different to a *shudder* covers album. Only difference is they're actually covering good songs. Still doesn't mean the idea sucks any less. :(

Some things should be left alone... These songs are on that list

I've said it before, and I will say it again, its easy for people to criticise and complain about an artist re-recording the classics, but that is the only way they can make any real money out of old songs that the big record labels own.

Whether they are good or bad is neither here nor there, its about an artist getting some degree of control and financial comeback from songs they created, that otherwise they would not.

So we've established that whether we, the fans, actually buy this crap is irrelevant, and that it's basically a money-grab. Beside the point or not, it's hard to imagine anyone saying any of these new versions are better than the originals. I realize the guy's getting into his late fifties, but I can't think of anybody whose voice is in worse shape than Don's. Yeah man, good luck selling these versions. Metal classics with some old guy croaking hopelessly over them.

How is it a money-grab?

Is you earning a wage by doing your job, a money-grab?

These guys who were signed to big labels in the 80s etc, make very little money off of their old recordings these days, but the record labels can make as much as they want by releasing compilations or licensing to soundtracks or various artist albums.

Why is it so wrong for an artist to make money off of something they have written and recorded in the past?