New Dokken!

chocularok

If it weren't a money-grab, why tack on a few new songs to entice fans to buy it? I bet it goes for full-price, too.

It doesnt make any difference anyway cos in this sad era of illegal downloads people will just source the new tracks on the net. Only real die hard fans are going to fork out for this re-hash IMO.

True. And I'm sure Don knows that, and doesn't really care if people buy it, the intended goal of the record being what we said above.

To me, the only time when re-recorded versions have actually surpassed the originals have been Testament (First Strike Still Deadly) and Iced Earth (Days Of Purgatory). And I guess you could make the case for some of the drastically-remixed Megadeth stuff. It just never seems to work welll for more melodic bands.

True. And I'm sure Don knows that, and doesn't really care if people buy it, the intended goal of the record being what we said above.

To me, the only time when re-recorded versions have actually surpassed the originals have been Testament (First Strike Still Deadly) and Iced Earth (Days Of Purgatory). And I guess you could make the case for some of the drastically-remixed Megadeth stuff. It just never seems to work welll for more melodic bands.

Agreed, though I think Johnny Lima's re-recording of his debut was better than the original. That said, neither disc was too good.

If it weren't a money-grab, why tack on a few new songs to entice fans to buy it? I bet it goes for full-price, too.

This is the way greatest hits packages have worked for years.

If this is a money grab, then so is pretty much every greatest hits package in the last 25 years or so.

As I say, its about reclaiming what is theirs and the bonus tracks can either be seen as a trap to get people to buy them, or a sweetner for loyal fans who buy everything.

Here's what i would've done, and which several bands have done lately. Rather than make a separate disc, make it a bonus in the next Dokken album. Since the songs were re-recorded for one reason (which has nothing to do with "the fans"), it would seem less of a cash-grab than having the thing be a separate, full-priced release.

Of course, they could also make a "special edition" of Lightning Strikes Again with Greatest Hits 2 as a bonus disc, which would still be a little grabby, but you know only super-fans buy those things anyway.

This is what happens when your lawyer also plays guitar. GOod on 'em, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, having heard this, I have to admit that despite being a waste of time it's not the worst waste of time ever. If you're going to do covers, as I said above, you may as well cover good songs. And although I was never a fan of 'The Hunter', there is no doubt that this is a good selection of songs. All songs sound nice and fun in their new shoes and it's an enjoyable enough listen. I think the biggest downer is the new songs - 'Magic man' is a plain filler and 'Almost over' kind of fizzled after initial appreciation. One asks why even bother with the new songs if that's the best they can do?

Simple truth is I will listen to this as much as the shithouse Rock Sugar album (which is more than likely never again) but it's not a total nightmare if you don't mind cover albums.

Okay, having heard this, I have to admit that despite being a waste of time it's not the worst waste of time ever. If you're going to do covers, as I said above, you may as well cover good songs. And although I was never a fan of 'The Hunter', there is no doubt that this is a good selection of songs. All songs sound nice and fun in their new shoes and it's an enjoyable enough listen. I think the biggest downer is the new songs - 'Magic man' is a plain filler and 'Almost over' kind of fizzled after initial appreciation. One asks why even bother with the new songs if that's the best they can do?

Simple truth is I will listen to this as much as the shithouse Rock Sugar album (which is more than likely never again) but it's not a total nightmare if you don't mind cover albums.

I agree that this is actually not bad at all. Musically it sounds great and Don doesn't sound near as bad as he does live these days. I don't love the new tunes but I don't hate the either. Their good but not great. But they did do a good job on covering themselves.

• 2 weeks later...