Don't Stop Believing

rocktrade

Now incredibly Journey are no.6 in the UK pop/download charts with Don't Stop Believing.

It was never a hit first time round in UK and was always a fringe song in the public 'pop' conciousness.

So when some guy wins X-Factor (American Idol for UK) and sings it twice during the series, the pop public take note and suddenly teenage hip-hopsters are singing Perry lyrics....bizzare.

Now some crappy Disney type show called Glee cast have recorded it and it is no. 5 in the charts, so now we have 2 versions in the top ten. (Don't bother checking it out it is truly awful)

Then this link got emailed to me today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeA3-n27t8

it's band called Rock Sugar who have merged Don't Stop Believing & Enter Sandman.

Enjoyable stuff

Spread the word.....

Now incredibly Journey are no.6 in the UK pop/download charts with Don't Stop Believing.

It was never a hit first time round in UK and was always a fringe song in the public 'pop' conciousness.

So when some guy wins X-Factor (American Idol for UK) and sings it twice during the series, the pop public take note and suddenly teenage hip-hopsters are singing Perry lyrics....bizzare.

Now some crappy Disney type show called Glee cast have recorded it and it is no. 5 in the charts, so now we have 2 versions in the top ten. (Don't bother checking it out it is truly awful)

it's band called Rock Sugar who have merged Don't Stop Believing & Enter Sandman.

Enjoyable stuff

Spread the word.....

It's pathetic that great music is recognized as this shite.

Enjoyable stuff

Spread the word.....

I heard that glee version in a shopping centre radio the other day... i nearly cried it was so bad.

theres a thread about ROck Sugar somewhere.....its a Loud & Clear project./.

Some of the women I work with are raving about Don`t Stop Believing, they`re loving it, one of my favourite bands but a song I never listen to anymore as I`ve heard it too many times over the last 25 years or so.

Journey in the charts! Better late than never I suppose. One thing I will say is, that it still sounds as good today as it did when it was released.

Enjoyable stuff

Spread the word.....

I heard that glee version in a shopping centre radio the other day... i nearly cried it was so bad.

Is that Jesse Harnell Loud & CLear perhaps?

they r playing the Steel Panther version like crazy on local radio in Philadelphia!

Enjoyable stuff

Spread the word.....

Is that Jesse Harnell Loud & CLear perhaps?

indeed

Glad to see the original selling more records, it's a classic song and is pretty timeless IMO. However the lyrics are pretty naff and if you sing them without the passion that Perry has then it just sounds like a cliched/cheesy 80's tune - which is exactly the problem with the soulless renditions that are currently in the charts. I've never heard anyone sing this anywhere close to the way Perry does, so why do people bother? Some songs you shouldn't copy as they are only brought to life in the hands of a top class vocalist - and this is one of them.

This morning I listened to the new Number One Gun album which closes with a 'Don't Stop Believing' cover, and then I listened to Rock Sugar which opens with a version of 'Don't Stop Believing'. With Steel Panther's recent cover that's three covers of this song I've heard in just over a month. When will people get an original idea? :lol:

In the US I'm guessing this song is like Cold Chisel's 'K-San' is in Australia.

they r playing the Steel Panther version like crazy on local radio in Philadelphia!

LOL....wasnt SP's finest moment if i recall correctly.

recording a straight version is a mistake for any band, as it will never sound as good as the original.

Also the style of song doesnt suit SP - their cover of Fantasy is far better.

LOL....wasnt SP's finest moment if i recall correctly.

recording a straight version is a mistake for any band, as it will never sound as good as the original.

Also the style of song doesnt suit SP - their cover of Fantasy is far better.

Really? I actually thought it was an excellent version. It goes without saying that I prefer the SP version to the original, but I thought even the haters would enjoy that one. :(

I read in an article that Journey actually vetoed the use of Don't Stop Believing as the 1st single by that X-Factor winner (whiner hahah!) and so he went with that Mylie Cyrus song the Climb or whatever it was called.

Nice one Journey....but they were probably sick of people screwing up their songs (take a bow Mariah Carey for Open Arms)

Just found the article

http://www.rockradio.co.uk/manchester/rock...actor/ba9w9ms8/

Journey in the charts! Better late than never I suppose. One thing I will say is, that it still sounds as good today as it did when it was released.

Agreed. Sad that the first time a lot of people hear this incredible track is a feeble pop/dance version. Plus a lot of them will think it's a new song and never realise that this kind of true quality songwriting is found in rock music, not the derivative drivel they listen to.