I hereby declare that BON JOVI - THE CIRCLE is.....

glam_junkie

A ROCK ALBUM!!

No denying that. Instead of 2-3 rock tracks like the last few albums, this one is full of them. Even the mellow tracks are POWERFUL songs, not like some of the dreary slow tracks of the past.

Sure, it's not old school rock... there's a real modern influnece to some of the tracks, but it's definitely chock-full-of-rock.

And to all those that deny..... they obviously haven't listened to the album yet and are to busy kissing each others arses on the 'we hate bon jovi train'.

A great return from the Jersey Boys!

Completely disagree 100%. It rocks about as hard as the last RASCAL FLATTS album did. I had the "pleasure" of hearing this right through and yet again it's completely soulless stuff. I mean, nothing is bad on it - by any stretch of the imagination, and as long as you don't concentrate very hard then it's actually a pretty enjoyable listen. However the truth is that BJ are a corporate machine these days, churning out gutless Modern Rock and it's all just so workmanlike. Were this an album from a brand new Modern Rock band then they would sink without trace. If JBJ really wants to push himself then he could probably still make a great album, as he can sure still write a decent hook ("We Weren't Born To Follow" proves this). I'm not the biggest fan of the somewhat patchy new DAUGHTRY album, but it absolutely slaughters this disc & kick's dirt in their faces along the way. Much bigger hooks, much more balls, and way better vocals.

I don't hate this band at all. Nor do I hate EUROPE. I'm just not interested in their over-produced/soulless/cliched music anymore.

Completely disagree 100%. It rocks about as hard as the last RASCAL FLATTS album did. I had the "pleasure" of hearing this right through and yet again it's completely soulless stuff. I mean, nothing is bad on it - by any stretch of the imagination, and as long as you don't concentrate very hard then it's actually a pretty enjoyable listen. However the truth is that BJ are a corporate machine these days, churning out gutless Modern Rock and it's all just so workmanlike. Were this an album from a brand new Modern Rock band then they would sink without trace. If JBJ really wants to push himself then he could probably still make a great album, as he can sure still write a decent hook ("We Weren't Born To Follow" proves this). I'm not the biggest fan of the somewhat patchy new DAUGHTRY album, but it absolutely slaughters this disc & kick's dirt in their faces along the way. Much bigger hooks, much more balls, and way better vocals.

I don't hate this band at all. Nor do I hate EUROPE. I'm just not interested in their over-produced/soulless/cliched music anymore.

+1

+1

Another piss poor release by BONJOVI ! Very dissapointed in the release and that is all I need to say !!

Damned good disc imo and their best one in years.

Yeah, I think this one and 'Have a nice day' are the best CDs they've released since 'These days'.

Despite whether you like the songs or not, that's not what I was discussing.

I wasn't declaring that everyone on HH would like the album, I was just declaring that it is a rock album. Not heavy rock, not metal, ...but rock, and not an album of ballads and mid tempo tracks.

Were this an album from a brand new Modern Rock band then they would sink without trace.

You can say this same thing about any band from the 80's still releasing albums.

Motley, Def Lep, Alice Cooper, Skid Row, Kiss...whoever else you wanna name are all living off of what they did in the 80's (or earlier in the case of Alice and Kiss) and none of them would get even a look in if they were new comers and releasing what they have been releasing. Not saying they are bad releases, just not anywhere near the top of the field, .... so bon jovi is not alone in this criticism.

Were this an album from a brand new Modern Rock band then they would sink without trace.

You can say this same thing about any band from the 80's still releasing albums.

Motley, Def Lep, Alice Cooper, Skid Row, Kiss...whoever else you wanna name are all living off of what they did in the 80's (or earlier in the case of Alice and Kiss) and none of them would get even a look in if they were new comers and releasing what they have been releasing. Not saying they are bad releases, just not anywhere near the top of the field, .... so bon jovi is not alone in this criticism.

And lets face it, most of those bands are hardly selling big numbers, and are on lesser labels, so for Jovi to still be on a big label and still be selling big numbers proves that people like what they are doing, not just some blind loyalty cause if it was that then the likes of Kiss and Alice would still be as popular as they used to be.

Hey Lindsay, just out of curiosirty do you know how this album's doing in Australia?

I haven't seen or heard anything about it. Did 'Lost highway' get any songs on radio? It seems to me that Bon Jovi's Aussie flame is quietly dimming. :(

I think the last Bon Jovi song I heard on radio was 'Have a nice day'. If I recall correctly there may have been some TV adds for 'Lost Highway' but I can't remember a single?

Hey Lindsay, just out of curiosirty do you know how this album's doing in Australia?

I haven't seen or heard anything about it. Did 'Lost highway' get any songs on radio? It seems to me that Bon Jovi's Aussie flame is quietly dimming. :(

I think the last Bon Jovi song I heard on radio was 'Have a nice day'. If I recall correctly there may have been some TV adds for 'Lost Highway' but I can't remember a single?

Doing as well as any rock albums in Australia I guess. Honestly, I don't really keep much notice of how albums go in terms of sales ect. Promotion is the same... you barely see promo for albums these days apart from your compilation stuff like So Fresh, Vdieo Hits, Ministry of Sound ect. I think I've seen only 1 ad promoting the new album. In reality it's the touring that makes them the money so moving massive amounts of cds is probably not their main priority.

Pretty sure there were no singles released in Oz for the last album, and I wouldn't expect to see any from this album either. I think singles are a thing of the past.

And lets face it, most of those bands are hardly selling big numbers, and are on lesser labels, so for Jovi to still be on a big label and still be selling big numbers proves that people like what they are doing, not just some blind loyalty cause if it was that then the likes of Kiss and Alice would still be as popular as they used to be.

So selling bucket loads of albums makes it a great album?

In that case i'd be listening to Myley Cyrus or some shit like that.

Isn't that what this site is all about? Listening and buying the stuff from the genres we like, regardless of whether it's commerically popular, selling millsions of copies or is on a major label?

True. But that makes me wonder whether people would pick up their albums out of loyalty (i.e, you grew up with that band) rather than because of the quality of the disc? I do agree this rocks more than the last album did, though even Chicago's last album rocked more than that one! But they're just such familiar sounding songs, almost like they could've come from any Jovi album over the years....

But they're just such familiar sounding songs, almost like they could've come from any Jovi album over the years....

Agreed.

What appeals to me with this album over some of the more recent ones is that the mix of songs more weighted in the rock areana than the slow/mellow arena. The rock songs may not be too different from those in the past, but there is a great percentage of them on the disc.

I've enjoyed the rock tracks they have had on the more recent albums, but have just thought there were never enough of the rock tracks. I think this time they got the mix of rock vs slow right.

Isn't that what this site is all about? Listening and buying the stuff from the genres we like, regardless of whether it's commerically popular, selling millsions of copies or is on a major label?

I was agreeing with you for godsake, pointing out that they are not selling on name alone.

Jesus!

I was agreeing with you for godsake, pointing out that they are not selling on name alone.

Jesus!

ah, I see! my mistake. :tumbsup:

i mis-read and thought your argument was that others weren't selling as much cos they weren't on the big labels, and that jovi were only getting sales cos of the label.

Meh...I think the album is pretty awful. I've listened to it twice now & not a damn song sticks in my head except for the lead single (& even it's nothing to write home about). Damn it, if Motley, Dokken, & Whitesnake can give us a retro-sounding album, why can't these guys? I seriously doubt if I'll ever pull this one out again...

I did hear one of the new tracks on Triple M Brisbane radio here last week. Can't re-call which song it was but definately from the Circle.

BTW I thinks its a fairly good album, nothing too special but enjoyable enough. If we're talking modern Bon Jovi, then 'Have A Nice Day' was a much better album!

Doing as well as any rock albums in Australia I guess. Honestly, I don't really keep much notice of how albums go in terms of sales ect. Promotion is the same... you barely see promo for albums these days apart from your compilation stuff like So Fresh, Vdieo Hits, Ministry of Sound ect. I think I've seen only 1 ad promoting the new album. In reality it's the touring that makes them the money so moving massive amounts of cds is probably not their main priority.

Pretty sure there were no singles released in Oz for the last album, and I wouldn't expect to see any from this album either. I think singles are a thing of the past.

Ive seen a heap of ads on Tv for the new album... and i hardly watch tv. Surely Poobear Geoff has seen these whilst watching his emo celebrity reality tv shows..

Ive seen a heap of ads on Tv for the new album... and i hardly watch tv. Surely Poobear Geoff has seen these whilst watching his emo celebrity reality tv shows..

I've seen the promo ad's a fair bit lately